Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

At a silly-expensive price. The margin on that model is ridiculous.

The way I looked at it, I either overpay for a 64 gig iPhone, or I don't have the storage space I need. Nobody else is even attempting to play catchup right now (how useful can Google Music possibly be if I have 2 gigs a month of data to play around with?), so they can afford to charge an arm and a leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Rent posted:

Really don't understand why people get upset over this. It's been happening with all phones, but especially the Android/Verizon lineup.

It wouldn't be a problem except the difference with Android is that support for upgrades is a total crap shoot. Get a phone that you expect to be supported for a contract? Tough poo poo, kid, we have the next great thing coming and five others after that, we don't have time to push OS upgrades or bug fixes! Hope the mod community embraces this model -- by the way the bootloader is locked!

I like my Bionic but looking at the Razor I can't help but feel shafted. A lock screen with a shortcut to a (better performing) camera, smart locations, these are all things that should have been included in the Bionic.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Razr isn't really a better spec'd phone. Everyone needs to take a step back and remember that. Yeah, it's running at 1.2ghz instead of 1ghz, but it's the same SoC, the same radio, same amount of memory, all of that.

It's thinner and it has a pentile AMOLED screen instead of a pentile LCD screen. On the flipside the Bionic allows you to swap batteries and has an extended battery, doesn't require a microSIM and has the HDMI port on the device itself.

Once the Bionic gets its first OTA, the devices will have pretty much the same usability.

I can see being disappointed that they released an aesthetically better phone after such a short time, but it's not a soul crushing slap in the face that a major upgrade would have been.

Lets face it. If this would have released in July instead of September, most of us OG droid people would have jumped on it in mid July when renewal came up and we would have been in the same situation we are now. We would also be asking why Moto didn't beef up more of the specs on the Razr since it would have been 4 months since the bionic release.

In 4 months from now there will be Tegra 3 quad core devices on the market that will make the Galaxy Nexus look like "My First Smartphone." You can't win this game unless you upgrade every 6 months.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Should've mentioned that I really don't like itunes. Fixing my zune it is, then.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Anyone picking up the Razr on 11/11/11 at 11:11:11?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I would have loved to see the look of utter delight on the marketing exec's face when he realized that the 11/10 date they had scheduled for the phone was so close to 11/11.

Our LAUNCH date can have the same form factor as the phone! RUN WITH IT GUYS!

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Cards greater than 32gb are going to require a different specification that just realy isn't widely supported right now. The best solution would be to have a phone with 32gb internal storage with an SD card slot, but there aren't any on the horizon right now.
Nope. SDHC and SDXC are exactly the same electronically, except SDHC was artificially capped at 32GB because Windows doesn't support creating FAT32 filesystems that large and FAT32 has a file size limit of 4GB (thus not great for recording 1080P video of any length). Instead SDXC uses exFat, but it's entirely possible for Linux and other tools to format a 64GB or larger SDXC card.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Well my zune is 120 gb, so it sounds like I need to wait a few years for technology to catch up anyway.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

waffle iron posted:

Nope. SDHC and SDXC are exactly the same electronically, except SDHC was artificially capped at 32GB because Windows doesn't support creating FAT32 filesystems that large and FAT32 has a file size limit of 4GB (thus not great for recording 1080P video of any length). Instead SDXC uses exFat, but it's entirely possible for Linux and other tools to format a 64GB or larger SDXC card.

Yes, but currently android phones format the SD card as FAT32 which makes them incompatible with SDXC.

Also, win98+ could format FAT32 partitions as large as 127GB and win2k could read partitions that large (it just couldn't create them.)

In order to change that, they are going to have to update Android to use a different file system for the SD card and educate people that they aren't going to be able to just pop them into a card reader on their computer.

I think it's far more likely that we see the manufacturers forgo the SD card slot and provide more internal memory.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

bull3964 posted:

It's thinner and it has a pentile AMOLED screen instead of a pentile LCD screen. On the flipside the Bionic allows you to swap batteries and has an extended battery, doesn't require a microSIM and has the HDMI port on the device itself.
Interestingly, The Verge's Droid RAZR review claims that the Super AMOLED display on the RAZR is actually somehow worse than the already-terrible PenTile TFT displays found on the Bionic/X2/Atrix. Either The Verge doesn't have their poo poo straight or the RAZR is pretty much unequivocally worse than the Bionic.

All that aside, I'm having a really hard time even figuring out why people are buying the Droid RAZR at all. I mean, you guys did hear about Galaxy Nexus, right? I don't think that was just a joke announcement, I'm pretty sure they're actually going to release it.

bull3964 posted:

I think it's far more likely that we see the manufacturers forgo the SD card slot and provide more internal memory.
This wouldn't be a problem except that I can't buy a 64 gig Galaxy Nexus. Why the poo poo can't I buy a 64 gig Galaxy Nexus. :( I want to buy a 64 gig Galaxy Nexus.

kbar fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 11, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Considering every other review (I've read at least) has said the exact opposite...

Edit: In reference to the screen I mean.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'll say it. The only thing keeping me from getting the razr over the nexus is 720p screen.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Oh man that screen looks divine.

The one report of GNex battery life I've seen floating around looks promising. Something like 45% after five-ish hours of heavy usage. Moot for me as ill buy extra batteries anyways.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Yes, but currently android phones format the SD card as FAT32 which makes them incompatible with SDXC.

Also, win98+ could format FAT32 partitions as large as 127GB and win2k could read partitions that large (it just couldn't create them.)

In order to change that, they are going to have to update Android to use a different file system for the SD card and educate people that they aren't going to be able to just pop them into a card reader on their computer.

I can guarantee you with 99% certainty that if you buy a 64 GB SDXC card and format it as FAT32, it will work with Android. Linux doesn't care about whether a SDXC card is technically to spec by using a specific filesystem. Linux just sees another block device. And furthermore there isn't any decent open source exFAT Linux file system driver.

A phone with a microSD card slot isn't like a camera with an SD card slot. You're not going to be swapping out cards on a phone more than once in a very long long time.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 11, 2011

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

The way I looked at it, I either overpay for a 64 gig iPhone, or I don't have the storage space I need. Nobody else is even attempting to play catchup right now (how useful can Google Music possibly be if I have 2 gigs a month of data to play around with?), so they can afford to charge an arm and a leg.

Just buy an iPod Touch or iPod Classic and enjoy not having your battery life sucked down by music.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

How is "carry another device" a solution to "I don't want to carry another device"?

Some smartphones are perfectly capable of playing music and surviving through the day. iPhones especially so. I streamed a couple hours of Google Music over EV-DO on my Fascinate today and I've still got 34% battery left.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Played with a Razr for a little bit on my way to grab some coffee during my AM break. The screen wasn't as bad as the Bionic I had, but the PenTile stuff was pretty noticeable. That's always been on my bottom 3 of the incoming devices anyways because of the lack of a removable battery (I don't care about an extended battery, but I haven't had a smartphone that didn't need a battery pull at some point) now it's pretty much not in contention.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

highme posted:

but I haven't had a smartphone that didn't need a battery pull at some point) now it's pretty much not in contention.

I'm pretty sure its like my Xoom. Volume up and power at the same time will reset the device no matter what state it is in.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
My question from a weekish ago was never answered, so I figure I'll give it one more shot - can you use an LTE hotspot on the prepaid mobile broadband, or is it a 3G only service?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

JayKay posted:

Anyone picking up the Razr on 11/11/11 at 11:11:11?

Should have made it $111.11 after tax...you know, consistency and all.

I do hope it makes it into a GSM version. That thing, while no Galaxy Nexus, looks way sexy...

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

hotsauce posted:

I do hope it makes it into a GSM version. That thing, while no Galaxy Nexus, looks way sexy...

They did say there would be a GSM version, but I can't remember and can't seem to find whether it would land on any US carriers.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
As of yet you cannot activate 4G products for prepaid plans. Hopefully this changes.

There's been a persistent theme in the comments section of Nexus articles on Phonearena that T-Mobile will have the GSM version out in February and Sprint already started merchandising for a CDMA version of it before they realized they didnt have the phone. Make of that what you will

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

hotsauce posted:

That's just crazy talk; they would never--

http://phandroid.com/2011/11/10/deal-alert-tomorrow-only-motorola-droid-razr-for-111-from-amazon-wireless/

:stare:

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Can there be a big :siren: in the next OP saying to ALWAYS check Amazon Wireless (any other good places?) before coughing up $299 for a new phone direct from Verizon?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ciabatta posted:

Can there be a big :siren: in the next OP saying to ALWAYS check Amazon Wireless (any other good places?) before coughing up $299 for a new phone direct from Verizon?

The problem is, Amazon deals are usually only for new lines or new customers. Contract renewals are rarely anywhere close.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, here's a thing.

http://phandroid.com/2011/11/11/is-...ource=pulsenews

Needless to say I'm a bit intrigued.

I'm really wondering what moto could possibly have planned for the OG Droid at this point.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

It gets better if you wait until midnight:
http://9to5google.com/2011/11/10/amazon-gives-100-back-on-hotspot-phones-and-50-on-hotspots-for-that-new-kindle-fire-11-droid-razr/

That makes it effectively $11.11

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Rastor posted:

It gets better if you wait until midnight:
http://9to5google.com/2011/11/10/amazon-gives-100-back-on-hotspot-phones-and-50-on-hotspots-for-that-new-kindle-fire-11-droid-razr/

That makes it effectively $11.11

Uh, doesn't hotspot add some kind of monthly fee? can you turn it off if you sign up with it? otherwise this would cost a lot over the course of owning the phone, right?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Ah, I didn't see that the hotspot feature must be activated at time of purchase to qualify. Good Catch.

Still good to know for anyone thinking of getting a RAZR and a Verizon tethering plan, I guess.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

bull3964 posted:

So, here's a thing.

http://phandroid.com/2011/11/11/is-...ource=pulsenews

Needless to say I'm a bit intrigued.

I'm really wondering what moto could possibly have planned for the OG Droid at this point.

Moto Blur, maybe? Who knows. Why on earth would they give original Droid owners like myself a hint of a reason not to upgrade on the eve of the launch of a new flagship phone?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Edit: Nevermind, thought the deal started on the 12th. Wow, good deal.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

The razr is drat sexy and I ordered one as my work phone. I have the bionic now and I've bought a poo poo ton of accessories to make me happy with the battery life. I carry the phone with an extended battery and an extra extended battery in my pocket, because one barely allows me to make it through a full day at work. It's pretty frustrating, but with that in mind, I don't see how I can put up with the battery life on the razr. I hate having to charge my phone while I'm at work and I'm not going to carry around an external loving battery pack.

Good thing I didn't have to buy it and if I hate it I can swap it out in 3 months. I'll report back with battery life experience when I get a chance to put the phone to real life use.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I'm curious as to why Verizon thought it would be a good idea to launch a phone on Nigel Tufnel day, anyway.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Oh, Verizon announced a new batch of LTE areas yesterday for a December 15th launch. These are all eastern OH and Western PA.

http://phandroid.com/2011/11/10/verizon-4g-lte-coming-to-ohio-and-pennsylvania-on-dec-15th-did-your-city-make-the-cut/

Pretty soon, most of the Turnpike will be covered from the OH Border to Breezewood and most of the I79 corrider will be covered from West VA to Erie. The same can be said for the OH turnpike as well.

quote:

The following Ohio cities you can look forward to some sweet LTE goodness in time for Christmas:

Youngstown
Warren
Campbell
Struthers
Poland
Boardman
Canfield
Austintown
McDonald
Niles
Findlay
Tiffin
Fostoria
Arcadia East
Carey

Pennsylvanians in the following cities will also get their 4G just desserts:

Indiana
White Township
Homer City
Blairsville

Right now, in the Pittsburgh area, Verizon's LTE coverage is already more extensive than AT&T HSDPA+ coverage.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 11, 2011

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Oh, Verizon announced a new batch of LTE areas yesterday for a December 15th launch. These are all eastern OH and Western PA.

http://phandroid.com/2011/11/10/verizon-4g-lte-coming-to-ohio-and-pennsylvania-on-dec-15th-did-your-city-make-the-cut/

Pretty soon, most of the Turnpike will be covered from the OH Border to Breezewood and most of the I79 corrider will be covered from West VA to Erie. The same can be said for the OH turnpike as well.

Right now, in the Pittsburgh area, Verizon's LTE coverage is already more extensive than AT&T HSPDA+ coverage.

This list tells you all you need to know about how awesomely aggressive Verizon's LTE rollout is. Indiana, PA?? White Township?? Homer freaking City??? I grew up in this area, and while Indiana isn't TOO big a shock (it's got a fairly sizable state university), White Township is nothing more than the crappy rural ring surrounding it. I don't think White Township even has its own school district. These are towns connected to Pittsburgh (the closest big city) only by two-lane roads because the town council didn't want the "riff-raff from the big city" coming into town.

And Homer City has, like, 2000 residents. It's one of those towns that you wouldn't even realise was a town if you drove through it. None of these are places you think of as being on the cutting edge of wireless technology.

This post has no real purpose other than to gawk at how ridiculously awesome of a job VZW is doing at rolling out 4G.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It makes a little more sense when you look at the existing coverage maps. These are the next closest population centers from existing coverage.

I mean, Verizon has stated that they are going to have their entire 3G footprint covered by 2013 and these areas all have 3G coverage.

It doesn't make it less impressive though. They met their yearly goal for coverage back in October. The November and December updates are gravy at this point.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
It's funny how many of us are in the same boat of having bought the Bionic on September 8th at a Costco, and now wondering if we should hedge our bets and just get the RAZR or keep holding out for a Nexus release date before our 3-month return window expires. Truly the definition of a first-world problem.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Eh, we have until the 7th of Dec if we got it on launch day. I'll hold out until then if I need to. I mean, I LIKE the bionic so it's not like I'm suffering using it.

The only real risk is the possibility of damaging the handset between now in then which would preclude the possibility of exchanging it.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

I was just in Costco an they are offering a mail-in coupon with the Razr that will get you a desk dock, car charger and screen protectors for free.

Have they always done this?

Guy said he didn't know if they are getting the Galaxy nexus. I decided to wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Dijkstra posted:

Guy said he didn't know if they are getting the Galaxy nexus. I decided to wait.

Good news!

http://www.androidcentral.com/costco-planning-sell-galaxy-nexus-289?style_mobile=0

No idea if there'll be any kind of deal like with the Bionic (or apparently now the RAZR, kind of?), but at least it'll be there...someday.

• Locked thread