Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only
The RAZR isn't nearly enough of an upgrade for me to consider trading in my Bionic, especially with all the extras that came with it.

If the timing and everything is right I'll consider trading in for the GNex, but I'm pretty happy with my Bionic. Once they roll out the update that fixes the radio handoff issues I won't have any complaint except that there's Something Better that exists.

Dijkstra posted:

I was just in Costco an they are offering a mail-in coupon with the Razr that will get you a desk dock, car charger and screen protectors for free.

Have they always done this?

As I understand it Costco has usually provided a car charger, screen protectors and a carry case with all their smartphones. These are provided in-store though, not mail-in.

With the Bionic they gave out all those things, plus the dock/battery bundle. It was all in a big plastic bag without any real packaging, but you got it when you got the phone.

NewcastleBrown fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Dijkstra posted:

I was just in Costco an they are offering a mail-in coupon with the Razr that will get you a desk dock, car charger and screen protectors for free.

Have they always done this?

Guy said he didn't know if they are getting the Galaxy nexus. I decided to wait.

Was it just me that got cheap screen protectors with my Bionic from Costco?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I am very disheartened to find that my new every 2 is only 50 dollars and not 100 like it used to be. When did this change?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

JP Money posted:

I am very disheartened to find that my new every 2 is only 50 dollars and not 100 like it used to be. When did this change?

Man, are you in for a nasty surprise in two years:

http://support.verizonwireless.com/faqs/Wireless%20Service/faq_new_every_two.html

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

JP Money posted:

Mine was only $30 on iPhone stuff $50 on droids.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Just had to call up Verizon's phone support because when I had them switch up my texting plans in June they added a 25MB Caribbean/Europe data plan at $30 a month and I didn't notice. Thank god they gave me a credit for the 3 some months.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Penguissimo posted:

Man, are you in for a nasty surprise in two years:

http://support.verizonwireless.com/faqs/Wireless%20Service/faq_new_every_two.html

Oh I'm well aware it's over with, I just didn't know they dropped it from 100 to 50 2 years ago apparently?

I was looking forward to that 200 dollar RAZR too :(

cptn oblivious
Jun 25, 2006
Speaking of new every 2, when I bought my OG Droid there were rumors of the NE2 getting slashed, so I double checked my contract to make sure I got in before the cuts happened. And sure enough my contract said my NE2 would be the full $100 or whatever it used to be.

However, online only shows me as eligible for the lovely $50 NE2. Should I still get the $100 NE2 or did they pull some corporate gently caress you poo poo that forced everyone onto the lovely NE2?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's no way it should have been the old amount, they changed policies before the OG Droid was launched. I got the OG Droid on pretty much launch day and my NE2 is only $30 (since I have the most basic of voice plans.)

Edit: Feb 15th, 2009 is when the reduced NE2 went into effect.

quote:

You can check your New Every Two eligibility by signing into My Verizon. If you were enrolled in the program on February 15, 2009 or later, you are eligible for a credit of up to $30 or $50 depending on your plan, with a two-year renewal

So if you renewed a contract with the OG droid upon it's release in November 2009, you would certainly be on the reduced amount.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 11, 2011

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

They also charge you tax even online :( Sucks the phone is 70 bucks more than I planned on spending on it..

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Still holding out for GNex on my motherfucking LG env2.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Coworker picked up a razr today. Unfortunately I can't check out the thinness or even the display quality because he got an otterbox defender with it and a screen protector which introduces a grainy look to the screen.

Fun fact though, the razr with an otterbox defender is about the thickness of my Bionic naked. I would say if you are the type that breaks your phone, this is probably the killer combo for you. With the lightness of the device and the thickness of the case, I think the thing would survive a drop from 20 feet onto concrete no problem.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

bull3964 posted:

screen protector which introduces a grainy look to the screen.

Thats just the crappy pentile display they put on it.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Not an Anthem posted:

Still holding out for GNex on my motherfucking LG env2.

Iphone 3G here. Its not even a 3GS and its essentially been crippled since IOS 4 came out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

Thats just the crappy pentile display they put on it.

I hope you were being facetious. The grain I was seeing was the stupid lensing effect you get from cheap screen protectors (hell even more expensive ones), it wasn't the screen door effect.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Am I a complete idiot for actually entertaining the $111.11 idea of a Razr on Amazon Wireless? Would actually be $11 after the $100 Amazon gift card when signing up on a tethering plan.

450 minutes = $39
4+2 free (6 gig total) tethering = $40
$79 month before a 21% corporate discount.

I would be breaking 7 months of my AT&T contract though and losing unlimited granfathered data on ATT.

Have I got a screw loose?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

hotsauce posted:

Am I a complete idiot for actually entertaining the $111.11 idea of a Razr on Amazon Wireless? Would actually be $11 after the $100 Amazon gift card when signing up on a tethering plan.

450 minutes = $39

I would be breaking 7 months of my AT&T contract though and losing unlimited granfathered data on ATT.

I'd see if that double your data promotion can apply too. That'd be 12gb a month.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Double data promotion doesn't double the tethering allotment.

Theoretically it should apply, since it's a 4G phone.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Athenry posted:

I'd see if that double your data promotion can apply too. That'd be 12gb a month.

I think the "free 2 gig" is the promotion. Guess they based it off of "doubling" the 2 gig plans...they are just tossing an extra 2 gigs onto whatever the plan is. So in this case, the 4gig tethering plan gets 2, making it 6. 10 gig plan goes to 12, etc, etc.

So it's only double on the base 2 gig plan.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

No, the promotion is double. It just doesn't apply to tethering allotment.

$30 for 2GB becomes 4GB
$50 for 5GB becomes 10GB
$80 for 10GB becomes 20GB

http://androidcommunity.com/verizon-double-data-promo-gets-more-details-20111107/

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

hotsauce posted:

I mean, it kinda depends on whether you actually think you'll prefer the RAZR over the Galaxy Nexus (incredibly unlikely) or whether you just want a phone now because you have a gift card (ding ding ding).

Even if the Galaxy Nexus can't be had for a penny under 300 bucks (yeah right) the price difference between it and the Amazon RAZR deal is still $188.89 or $7.87 a month over the course of the contract.

Do people just prefer Blur or whatever? Is that what's going on?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

kalibar posted:

Do people just prefer Blur or whatever? Is that what's going on?
Not a chance. I went and fondled the razr today and it's pretty awesome hardware-wise. The screen is fine before you ask.

I've decided to just wait on the ever elusive GSM Nexus. Stock Android just cannot be beat and I'm certain Blur would enrage me after a few months.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

So for anyone who is curious, I just upgraded my phone earlier to a RAZR on a family account and then transferred that phone to my own private line. It appeared that they gave me the 4gb for 30 dollar plan that's currently going on.

I went back in just now and they gave me the unlimited data on my new, private line no questions asked so it appears it is not affected by releasing a line from a family account.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Oh good. The Verizon rep said that if I upgraded and got stuck on tiered, I could bitch and get them to switch it back to unlimited.

Guess it's time to figure out what phone I want to replace my broke-rear end Droid X with.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Yea it was incredibly fast - she called verizon and the rep changed it immediately. FWIW I really love the RAZR coming from a Droid Eris. It's loving huuuuuuge in comparison but coming from an X2 that shouldn't be as big a jump.

Super thin too. I'd go check one out.

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat

The Flying Milton posted:

Oh good. The Verizon rep said that if I upgraded and got stuck on tiered, I could bitch and get them to switch it back to unlimited.

Guess it's time to figure out what phone I want to replace my broke-rear end Droid X with.

I would be careful about this because a few times I've called into COOS for people who got screwed by other stores and put on Tiers I was told "We don't even have the code in the system to put it back" so ymmv and I'd try to get it in writing that they'll give it back to you.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I can see that happening. They instantly switched mine though so apparently there IS some method of doing it without hassle.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

hotsauce posted:

450 minutes = $39

Not crazy but I think you made the best choice unless you're already having reception issues with AT&T where you are. Keep unlimited as long as you can. You may find you expect your phone to do a lot more than you're doing now.

I didn't think I would need an unlimited plan until I got a little app called Netflix.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

decoy octopus posted:

I would be careful about this because a few times I've called into COOS for people who got screwed by other stores and put on Tiers I was told "We don't even have the code in the system to put it back" so ymmv and I'd try to get it in writing that they'll give it back to you.

Corporate retail locations should have no problem restoring an unlimited data plan as long as the request meets specific requirements. They won't be able to reapply the feature on the spot, but will instead have to submit a form to corporate who will then reapply it, usually in fewer than 3 business days.

As long as unlimited data has not been off of a line for greater than 14-days it meets the aforementioned requirement. This applies if a direct or indirect agent accidentally removes unlimited data during an upgrade and/or device change, or even the customer removes it themselves (e.g. reactivating an old flip phone while waiting on an insurance/warranty replacement).

Unlimited data can also be reapplied up to 60-days after removal, but that's on a case-by-case basis. The process to request it is the same, but Verizon corporate makes the final decision.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer
I just called up to see if I could finagle my way into getting the double data promotion applied to my iPhone 4S that I got 2 days ago, but no such luck. The woman on the line told me to call the marketing department tomorrow and see if they could do it.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I might have better luck?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Go to a brick and mortar store and see if they can help you out.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

I just called up to see if I could finagle my way into getting the double data promotion applied to my iPhone 4S that I got 2 days ago, but no such luck. The woman on the line told me to call the marketing department tomorrow and see if they could do it.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I might have better luck?

As far as I know it's for 4G phones only, so you're probably not gonna have any luck.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

As far as I know it's for 4G phones only, so you're probably not gonna have any luck.

I believe this is true since the double data promo was designed to lighten the strain on the 3g network...

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Right, the promotion is only for 4G LTE phones.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Awesome move from Verizon.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/1...ng-november-15/

Any phone purchased after the 15th (tomorrow) will be eligible for exchange/return until January 9th.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bull3964 posted:

Awesome move from Verizon.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/1...ng-november-15/

Any phone purchased after the 15th (tomorrow) will be eligible for exchange/return until January 9th.

Any idea if this applies to devices bought off contract? I noticed they mentioned one part doesn't apply to devices bought on a prepaid plan. Did you say buying off contract = buying on a prepaid plan?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Looks like I'll be getting a Rezound tomorrow. My DX is rebooting almost 10 times a day. I'm a little concerned about the battery life, but I played with one for a bit and would rather pay $35 to use it until the Nexus comes out than deal with constant issues.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

highme posted:

Looks like I'll be getting a Rezound tomorrow. My DX is rebooting almost 10 times a day. I'm a little concerned about the battery life, but I played with one for a bit and would rather pay $35 to use it until the Nexus comes out than deal with constant issues.

Be sure to tell us how it is! If the GNex wasn't coming out the Rezound would probably be my next phone (I've always wanted to try a Sense phone). The screen looks delicious.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Yeah I'm a little worried about the Rezound's battery life, so I'm looking forward to all the reviews about to come out. I would seriously consider getting the RAZR if it had a 720p screen, which I really really want. Right now it's down to the Galaxy Nexus as the frontrunner, but if the Rezound's reviews are amazing I'd consider giving it a second look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Bought the Rezound today after returning my poo poo Droid Charge. I love the way the phone feels, the screen is great (720p), new version of Sense (imo the best UI out there) is great too. So glad I'm back with an HTC phone, it's like night and day. Oh, and it's fast.

As for battery life, I'll let you guys know in a day or two. But people buying phones specifically for long battery life kind of confuse me. All of these phones only last a day maybe a day and a half if you're using it on a mobile network all of the time.

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 15, 2011

• Locked thread