Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

The Black Stones posted:

Has anyone else picked up Fate/Extra for the PSP? I'm liking it so far.

I'm really tempted to make an official thread for it. I'm at the last boss and the last boss section is really the only weak part of the game (aside from the occasionally wooden translation, which seems impossible to avoid sometimes with Nasu-related stuff). The entire rest of the game has been a joy, it exceeded every expectation I had for it and I'd even go so far as to say that, in a lot of ways, it's better than /stay night (not the least of which being that you actually play it). All I really need are nice, highrez art resources for some OP banners and whatnot, as well as time to actually post the thread :v:

But yes, I'm almost unhealthily in love with Fate/Extra and I'm praying to God it sells well enough to justify bringing CCC over, since even in early press the concept behind CCC looks like it's going to be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Genpei Turtle posted:

Interestingly enough, the same thing with review inflation of Square games happened in Japan too during the PS1 era. Heinous pieces of poo poo too terrible to even think of bringing overseas like Cyber Org and Another Mind still did pretty well in the reviews.

Holy poo poo, Cyber Org looks awesome! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9s7rpsl5Ik

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Wendell posted:

Holy poo poo, Cyber Org looks awesome! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9s7rpsl5Ik
Talk about completely opposite trailers - here's Another Mind. That Cyber Org trailer is amazing.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

SpaceDrake posted:

I'm really tempted to make an official thread for it. I'm at the last boss and the last boss section is really the only weak part of the game (aside from the occasionally wooden translation, which seems impossible to avoid sometimes with Nasu-related stuff). The entire rest of the game has been a joy, it exceeded every expectation I had for it and I'd even go so far as to say that, in a lot of ways, it's better than /stay night (not the least of which being that you actually play it). All I really need are nice, highrez art resources for some OP banners and whatnot, as well as time to actually post the thread :v:

But yes, I'm almost unhealthily in love with Fate/Extra and I'm praying to God it sells well enough to justify bringing CCC over, since even in early press the concept behind CCC looks like it's going to be amazing.

Cool, I was worried I was the only one playing it and that the game turns to poo poo early on but that doesn't seem like the case. Also looked up that Fate/Extra CCC and that does sound neat.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Armor-Piercing posted:

Talk about completely opposite trailers - here's Another Mind. That Cyber Org trailer is amazing.

Cyber Org was good in theory--"American-comic" themed action game with randomly changing dungeons, but in practice is nearly unplayable with horrendous controls and a terrible camera. The music was really good though.

Another Mind was one of those terrible live-action FMV adventure games with a weird-rear end method of playing (rather than select choices you'd pick individual words and phrases to piece together a sentence) but was totally nonsensical because depending on what you did the story wouldn't connect together. At all.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fun Times! posted:

I think FFX is becoming one of my favorite games. It's been a long time since there's been a game that I think about in the middle of the day and can't wait to get home and play.

FF X is the last 'great' FF game, FF XII was an interesting idea bogged down by horrible design decisions and FF XIII.... I actually didn't mind it that much, that doesn't mean it was a good game though.

Obviously I'm ignoring the MMO's that are bad, even by MMO standard.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Seconding Fate/Extra - it's significantly better than I expected, especially since I wasn't expecting a whole hell of a lot. I'm on the third week and there's some signs that you might have to grind later on, but the plot's witty and interesting and it's all presented very well.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I posted a lot on RPGamer back then, and from what I remember, most people on there liked CC. Jeremy Parish posted there and he loved it. I could be wrong though, my memory sucks.

I still find it strange that anybody would call Chrono Cross a bad game. It has flaws, sure, but anybody who thinks it's a bad game is seeing the game in a much different light than I am.

But I hadn't beaten Chrono Trigger when I first played CC. I'm not sure I had even played more than a few hours.

That probably has something to do with it. But the plot is so convoluted, so incomprehensible, so poorly told, I can't understand how anyone could see it as anything but a bad game regardless if they played Chrono Trigger before or not.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3337167&pagenumber=110&perpage=40#post382786430
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3337167&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=129
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3337167&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=132 Good games just don't do this. They don't have 99% of the plot told to you at the end of the game in text dumps by ghosts.

The fact that the developers decided to spit on Chrono Trigger fans by taking Chrono Trigger - a game that was beloved for being charming, fun, simple, and light hearted with likable characters and an entertaining story involving time travel - and making a sequel to it that is dark, bleak, serious, and complex to an insane degree is just an added bonus.

quote:

e: wow, FFX is #1 on that list of Famitsu readers' favorite games, above FFVII. That's pretty cool; I think FFX is my favorite FF game as well. Also, FFVI is the lowest ranked FF game of FFIII-FFX. I wonder why it's so much more beloved here in the US.

Good question. FF6 is the first RPG that I can recall that really looked impressive in the magazines. The previews of it really looked amazing in Nintendo Power. There were commercials for it on TV. Maybe that might have played a part. I remember that when FF4 was released that RPGs were this super niche thing that it seemed like only I knew or cared about. The only people at my school who knew about FF4 were people I introduced to it. By the time FF6 came out, things had changed somehow. People were talking.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Those links reminded me of the dialogue filter in Chrono Cross, which meant that usually the only difference between two different characters' response to any given situation would be some overdone accent or other stupid gimmick in the absence of dialog that would actually characterize them.

Once again, the fact that they got to the point in development where they had to create a filter like this to make the game work and not realize that this implied a core design problem has me facepalming to this day.

Edit:

Belthasar posted:

“Well, that was up until the Queen of Zeal attempted to harness the power of Lavos... Let’s just say, things got out of control and Lavos created a dimensional vortex that threw me far into the future!”

Did I mention Chrono Cross's amazing script?

Oh yeah, let's say you didn't play Chrono Trigger. What the hell are you supposed to think when you get to this part of the game? That line becomes even more hilariously ridiculous. This is what I mean when I say the devs said they didn't want it to be a sequel to Chrono Trigger and hosed up by trying too hard to make it one. Seriously, just read all of the second link from the perspective of someone who didn't play Chrono Trigger. It gets more and more ridiculous as you go.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 12, 2011

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

SpaceDrake posted:

What does Fate/Extra play like? I saw a youtube at it looked like they were running around a featureless cyberspace. I could use something for Christmas traveling and I was leaning towards Persona 2.

Viash
Mar 17, 2003

Spuzzz posted:

What does Fate/Extra play like? I saw a youtube at it looked like they were running around a featureless cyberspace. I could use something for Christmas traveling and I was leaning towards Persona 2.

It's a weird observation rock paper scissors game. Attack beats break, break beats guard, guard beats attack. You enter 6 attacks in order for one turn, and you can generally only see 1-3 of what an enemy's attack will be. The thing is every enemy has various habits and patterns, so you can figure out things like "this enemy likes to alternate like AGAGAG" or "this enemy doubles things up like AABBGG" or "this enemy rarely guards" or whatever. Once you've fought an enemy a few times you can start making some pretty good educated guesses about what their moves will be. It's kind of weird but pretty cool as long as you are good at paying attention and remembering things.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Spuzzz posted:

A visual novel, crossed with a dungeon-crawler, usually with special objectives each day. It's sparse on features graphically but there's usually something focused to be done, be it taking down specific targets or getting to specific points.

The battle system's what you get if you take rock-paper-scissors and apply special moves and spells to it. Touch an enemy and you'll get into battle, which consists of rounds of six attacks at a time. If you've fought the enemy a lot, you'll get to know some of the attacks it'll do within those six rounds. Each monster also has a limited pool of combinations to choose from, so gradually you learn to intuit what the rest of them might be. Queue up attacks to match and beat those attacks; get enough 'right' in a row and you deal extra damage.

The visual novel portion is where you get most of the plot and also where you deal with the bosses. The idea behind the Grail Wars in the Fate series is that (very minor spoilers) each competitor has summoned a Famous Hero Of Yoretm with their own specific superpower. Learn the hero's true identity by gathering enough information and you get to learn their capabilities, which drastically ups your ability to read them in battle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Huh, so Fate/Extra is worth it? I don't care about the franchise at all, is the game reasonable for someone who doesn't?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ImpAtom posted:

Huh, so Fate/Extra is worth it? I don't care about the franchise at all, is the game reasonable for someone who doesn't?

The gameplay is pretty good, but the story is what is going to keep you going for the most part is what I've found. I'm not too far into the game yet, but I think it's fun and it's well worth a 30$ price tag (I paid 40$ to get the Collectors Edition and I'm happy with that price still).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

The gameplay is pretty good, but the story is what is going to keep you going for the most part is what I've found. I'm not too far into the game yet, but I think it's fun and it's well worth a 30$ price tag (I paid 40$ to get the Collectors Edition and I'm happy with that price still).

Well, when I say I don't care, I mean that I haven't followed the franchise at all and only know a bit about it. Is it accessible enough or is it one of those fan-things where it's better off not bothering?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 12, 2011

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Yeah, it's accessible enough. You won't get some little things about some characters, but everything related to the plot is able to stand on its own with no series knowledge required.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Well, when I say I don't care, I mean that I haven't followed the franchise at all and only know a bit about it. Is it accessible enough or is it one of those fan-things where it's better off not botheirng?

You'll miss a lot of references. The game still explains everything you need to know and is, by and large, in a very original setting, but you might raise an eyebrow at some of the quirks of the franchise, like its habit of declaring that famous person X or Y actually had breasts, surprise!

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Are there any good reviews of it? Not even the nerdy RPG sites I frequent seem to have bothered playing it.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Obviously I'm ignoring the MMO's that are bad, even by MMO standard.

FFXI is not a bad MMO at all; it's really the last great "hardcore" MMO. I think it and EQ are the only ones still going fairly strong.

I have hopes for FFXIV because the team that worked on Abyssea - which was the best addition to FFXI the game has ever seen - is in charge of the development now. It already looks like it's getting much better, but I probably won't bother with it for another year or two.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Stelas posted:

I'm on the third week and there's some signs that you might have to grind later on,

I actually didn't have to grind at all (which surprised me) I was playing Saber though so I can't speak for Archer/Caster players. As long as you don't make a habit of attempting to avoid enemies you'll always be around the right level for the content.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Are Archer/Caster the same Archer/Caster from F/SN?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Are Archer/Caster the same Archer/Caster from F/SN?

Archer yes, Caster, no.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FFXI is not a bad MMO at all; it's really the last great "hardcore" MMO. I think it and EQ are the only ones still going fairly strong.

I have hopes for FFXIV because the team that worked on Abyssea - which was the best addition to FFXI the game has ever seen - is in charge of the development now. It already looks like it's getting much better, but I probably won't bother with it for another year or two.

Since even the worst game will have someone defending it, I guess I shouldn't call anything objectively bad, but personally both FF MMO's are literally the exact opposite of everything I consider fun in a game.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

When did you play FFXI?

e: I realize arguing about this is pretty pointless, but while FFXI started out pretty awful, it has turned into a pretty darn good MMO in the past couple years. Someone who only really likes the modern super casual MMOs like WoW still probably isn't going to like it, but it's nowhere near a bad game. FFXIV is a bad game.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 13, 2011

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 1, 2014

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Jesto posted:

Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing

This has a 3.83% average on Gamerankings. :lol:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jesto posted:

Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing

Is hilarious. :colbert:

When did you play FFXI?

e: I realize arguing about this is pretty pointless, but while FFXI started out pretty awful, it has turned into a pretty darn good MMO in the past couple years. Someone who only really likes the modern super casual MMOs like WoW still probably isn't going to like it, but it's nowhere near a bad game. FFXIV is a bad game.

A couple of years ago and anything that involves mindless grinding and enforced grouping (sometimes I just want to get on with poo poo without having to worry about other people) I will never enjoy.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
And the Fate/Extra thread is up!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3448909

Hopefully that OP clears up some questions for people, and if others pop up, I'll do my best to answer them.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

SpaceDrake posted:

And the Fate/Extra thread is up!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3448909

Hopefully that OP clears up some questions for people, and if others pop up, I'll do my best to answer them.

I didn't realize that the thread was posted 20 minutes ago. I thought it was posted last night and no one had responded to it yet. Great OP.

EDIT: Alright, so I'm going to redo the OP in this thread, anyone have anything they want added? I was thinking of maybe adding some of the best games we all can agree on, and also having a section for starter RPG's? People just getting into the genre. I made a list of all the current RPG game threads we have going on in the forums already (2nd post).

casual poster fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 13, 2011

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm about to start playing Valkyrie Profile, any general tips or advice I should know beforehand?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Paperhouse posted:

I'm about to start playing Valkyrie Profile, any general tips or advice I should know beforehand?

Yes, play it on Hard mode with a guide next to you, otherwise you'll be missing on the best ending and a bunch of dungeons not accessible on normal or easy.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
playing the whole game using a guide sort of doesn't sound as much fun though. Is hard mode actually that hard/are there lots of specific things I'd need to do? Could I get away with just noting a few things that need to be done and then play through it without a guide?

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
he's telling you to use a guide so you know how to get the best ending. don't use a guide for the actual dungeons unless you need to [a few of them are REALLY HARD - a certain wizard's tower comes to mind], but make sure you know what you're doing to get the best ending. it's definitely a thing you'd probably need a guide to get.

alternatively, if you want to fully explore the bonus dungeon, you might need a guide to find the Flame Orbs or whatever you need to find in the dungeons, because iirc some of them are tough to find. i explored most of the dungeons pretty well though, just for the sake of experience

the reason for playing on Hard is that a] you get more characters in it b] you get more dungeons c] you get better items. though you start at level 1, the better items probably make it easier in the long run.

e: i wouldn't bother with worrying about the flame orb things on your first run, anyway. i really like that game and i still haven't beaten the bonus dungeon. there are a few items you should probably make an effort to grab in towers [like one that makes it possible to make better fusions/items in the aforementioned tower], but really, if you make a big effort at exploring anyway, you should end up finding them on your own

it's really the requirements for getting the best ending that you need the guide for

vvv the bonus dungeon is fun, but eh, if he's doing a first runthrough i'd say it might be more fun to not worry about the items needed for it.

fronz fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 15, 2011

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

Is hard mode actually that hard/are there lots of specific things I'd need to do?

Hard mode has massive amounts of extra dungeons, characters and plot without actually being that much harder. Normal and Easy are missing so much content you should absolutely play it on hard. The reason to play it with a guide are twofold:

- Getting the best ending requires striking a balance between being obedient enough so Freya doesn't slaughter you out of hand and lowering your Seal rating by encountering certain scenes or disobeying.

- Each of the Hard-only dungeons has an item in it - collect all of them and you fully unlock the bonus content, which is pretty fantastic.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hard is literally how the game is supposed to be played, it's also not that hard since you get huge exp bonuses. Though the random nature of some of the dungeons can go against you occasionally.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

playing the whole game using a guide sort of doesn't sound as much fun though. Is hard mode actually that hard/are there lots of specific things I'd need to do? Could I get away with just noting a few things that need to be done and then play through it without a guide?

Basically:

Look at Lenneth's status screen. There is a Seal rating. Your overall goal is to get this low. This is done by visiting certain places or doing certain things. If you don't want to use a FAQ, just make sure to visit towns and places when you can, even if there isn't a Einherjar there to recruit. Also, try to send up only one Einherjar a chapter since each one you send up has a huge impact on your Seal rating. (+12)

You need to get it down to below 40/about 35 by a certain point in the plot, as well has have seen certain events, to get the best ending. You pretty much can't get your Seal Rating down low enough without seeing those events so don't worry about that.

If you want to make this easy: Do not do any of the above aside from Sending Einherjar Up until Chapter 4. Just collect Einherjar and go to dungeons. Once you reach Chapter 4, start searching for the hidden events in towns/villages. Also, remove Lenneth's Nibelung Ring, which grants +2 to Seal at each Sacred Phase.

If you want to know the events you have to see:

Check the field where Platina died.
Visit Lucian in Gerebellum.
Invade Brahm's castle, choose not to fight.
Invade Lezard Valeth's Castle

In later chapters you have to do the following, but you'll do this just in the normal process of collecting Einherjar.

Recruit Mystina
Recruit Lucian
Send Lucian up before the end of Chapter 6.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 15, 2011

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
^^^^^^^ Seriously, just follow a guide, there are some that are spoiler-free.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Okay, seems like I can play most of the game as I want and just make sure to do/not do a few specific things here and there so hard mode it is. Thanks. Anything gameplay wise I should know?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

Okay, seems like I can play most of the game as I want and just make sure to do/not do a few specific things here and there so hard mode it is. Thanks. Anything gameplay wise I should know?

The Guts skill is incredibly powerful and worth giving to anyone you can. Doubly so with the Auto Item/Union Plume skill.

Generally it is worthwhile to keep anything that belongs to Odin that looks fun to you. As long as you send up good Einherjar and occasionally an item or two, you really do not have to worry about ticking off Odin or missing out on good "reward" items for your high score.

There are certain items you can buy which compensate for a character's personality weaknesses. If you're requested to send a Einherjar who can swim, feel free to toss on a few accessories which claim they increase one's swimming prowess to improve your score.

You don't need a party member in your party to level them up. Save your bonus EXP and you can send a properly leveled Einherjar up to Valhalla without ever needing them in your party. Make sure to give them good equipment too.

Dungeons in Hard Mode contain Flame Jewels. Try to find as many as you can. They allow you to unlock extra stuff in the game's post-game dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
You can really take all of Odin's poo poo, as long as you send up a fully upgraded Einherjar at the end of each chapter [as in, make sure to get all their Hero Stats or whatever to their max.] Freya will give you advice at the beginning of each chapter on who they need; you'll rarely be able to satisfy all her criteria, but 2 out of 3 is good enough; if you can do that, she'll give you a lot of points for fusion/item creation, and you'll be in good enough shape to take basically every artifact.

iirc, you can never use Arngrim in the endgame. He's still good as a party member as long as you continue to level up other characters to send up.