Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Don't freak too much about the bonus dungeon, by the way. It's nothing more than some bragging rights stuff you can never return to the main game with and the usual Tri-Ace superbosses. If you don't feel like doing the RPG equivalent of a score attack, don't sweat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Francois Kofko posted:

You can really take all of Odin's poo poo, as long as you send up a fully upgraded Einherjar at the end of each chapter [as in, make sure to get all their Hero Stats or whatever to their max.] Freya will give you advice at the beginning of each chapter on who they need; you'll rarely be able to satisfy all her criteria, but 2 out of 3 is good enough; if you can do that, she'll give you a lot of points for fusion/item creation, and you'll be in good enough shape to take basically every artifact.

iirc, you can never use Arngrim in the endgame. He's still good as a party member as long as you continue to level up other characters to send up.

Arngrim's always available, but he's too big of a dick for Asgard.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

Okay, seems like I can play most of the game as I want and just make sure to do/not do a few specific things here and there so hard mode it is. Thanks. Anything gameplay wise I should know?
In battle, you can get extra experience if you hit airborne enemies, or extra turns if you hit enemies knocked to the ground. So there is some strategy to the battle system instead of just hitting all the buttons.

In addition to useful active skills like Guts, Auto Item, or Counter, dont forget to spend skillpoints on passive skills like Attack Up, makes a huge difference. You should focus on hero value for people you're going to send up first though.

When you get a new item, before you use it, see if it can be transmuted into anything interesting. If you're playing on hard you can upgrade your transmutation skill later.

A lot of weapons you can find in the world can break easily. Everything you materialize is unbreakable.

Press select in battle to see the menu. This is the only way to use healing spells. Try using attack spells from here too and see what happens.

This is the guide you want to get the best ending

Contrary to what others have been saying, the bonus dungeon is pretty cool I think. You get several new characters to play around with and there are some fun boss fights. The best part is the secret characters though. It's not really hard to gain access if you're doing all the dungeons anyway.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 15, 2011

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

dis astranagant posted:

Arngrim's always available, but he's too big of a dick for Asgard.

He and Mystina, if I recall, are the only two who can't be sent up. Makes sense; if you sent Arngrim up he'd just wreck everyone's poo poo and make himself the new God of War.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent
Get the familiar on your mages and use it to lead off every round of attacks when you cant cast a spell. It can be used when their spells are recharging and iirc cant be blocked which means that as long as you lead with it you never have to worry about the enemy blocking your attacks.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

He and Mystina, if I recall, are the only two who can't be sent up. Makes sense; if you sent Arngrim up he'd just wreck everyone's poo poo and make himself the new God of War.

On this note iirc you shouldn't send up Lorenta: You can send her but she won't rejoin in any of the ending paths or in the bonus dungeon. She'll just be gone permanently. Not that she's a big loss :v:

Lenneth is the only character who can equip a sword or a bow and she's pretty good at both. If you want three melee characters just give her a bow and throw her in the back. Also if she dies you have three turns to revive her or get kicked out of the dungeon but this is almost never a problem.

You can change the order of attacks characters do. So if Lenneth has a three hit weapon equipped (down-slash, slide, up-slash) you can change the order to something like (slide, up-slash, down-slash). If you're having trouble with a character's attack try changing the order. I remember having trouble with the female spear user until I changed her order a bit.

Characters add different amounts to the super attack gauge with their super attack and the amount you need to get another super attack increases with more super attacks. Arngrim for example gets a huge boost to the gauge with his super attack so he should go second to last while somebody who doesn't fill up the gauge much should go first or last.

Mages are pretty interchangeable unlike melee and archers. Just give 'em magic and they'll do it the same as any other mage except with different stats.

Only certain dungeons in hard mode have the flame gems/jewels. They're hard exclusive and the best telling sign of them is 'are they jerk dungeons?'. If they have an annoying maze, puzzle, or are just a late-game dungeon it's probably a hard exclusive that has a flame jewel in it.

Don't rely on Guts/Auto Item to carry you through hard boss fights. There's one particular hard boss fight that can only be killed by doing a ton of damage to to it quickly. It's Bloodbane, a mandatory boss on the good ending and optional on the normal ending. He'll heal 80% of his health on the 10th turn if it will fully heal him. No way to cheese him either afaik.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

GreatRedSpirit posted:

Lenneth is the only character who can equip a sword or a bow and she's pretty good at both.

I haven't played the game in years, but I seem to remember that when you get your first bow, the attacks she has available for it completely out class her attacks with a sword, so you ought to use the bow for a while.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

So does all this extremely helpful advice apply to the PSP version as well? I don't know what they changed, if anything.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'm already like 7 hours in now and it's going well, although gently caress Salerno Academy forever. Also, in chapter 1 I used a Tome of Alchemy in the Cave of Oblivion and everyone went up like four levels :toot: Really fun game so far

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure lenneth's bow outclasses her sword like all game, actually

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I did use a bow for a while and the damage was great, mainly because it hits more. Went back to a sword for now but I'll bear in mind that bows are very good for her

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pretty sure swords get the higher versions of Nibelung Valesti earlier than bows, which is pretty ridiculous amounts of extra damage. I don't think there's any bows that compare to top tier swords like Gram, either.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

dis astranagant posted:

Pretty sure swords get the higher versions of Nibelung Valesti earlier than bows, which is pretty ridiculous amounts of extra damage. I don't think there's any bows that compare to top tier swords like Gram, either.
I think I actually got the best Nibelung Valesti so far with a bow, since as far as I can tell it's dependent on how many hits your weapon has and I've yet to have a sword with three hits

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

GreatRedSpirit posted:

On this note iirc you shouldn't send up Lorenta: You can send her but she won't rejoin in any of the ending paths or in the bonus dungeon. She'll just be gone permanently. Not that she's a big loss :v:

Actually, that's Lyseria, not Lorenta.

I kind of wish the mages in VP were separated more, instead of them all being pretty much alike other than what skills they start with.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
Another important Valkyrie Profile tip: In like Chapter 4 or so you'll recruit a character who has a really long recruitment cutscene and when it's done you'll be in a dungeon. Don't leave the dungeon for any reason before you defeat its boss or you automatically lock yourself into the bad ending.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Paperhouse posted:

I think I actually got the best Nibelung Valesti so far with a bow, since as far as I can tell it's dependent on how many hits your weapon has and I've yet to have a sword with three hits

It's dependent on the weapon. Looks like that doesn't matter much since you don't get the last hit until Seraphic Gate weapons anyway. The real problem is that bows don't top 600 attack other than a couple single hitters, while you can get 1k+ swords like Icicle Sword and Glare Sword pretty early on hard. This is also very important on easy, where Barbarossa and Bloodbane can be total brick walls if you don't equip the highest attack weapons you can find.

At least her bow attacks have really high multipliers. Triblast hits as hard as the entire sword combo if she has the same attack power.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 16, 2011

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent
Looks like the EU is going to get Last Story and Pandora's Tower early next year if anyone cares about Operation Rainfall games. :toot:

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

TheOriginalEd posted:

Looks like the EU is going to get Last Story and Pandora's Tower early next year if anyone cares about Operation Rainfall games. :toot:

I don't think there was any question of EU getting them; it's NA that probably won't.

I'd say they have a better chance of being localized than Xenoblade did though. Hopefully NOA realizes not localizing Xenoblade was a mistake, seeing as Xenoblade sold really well (I think). Then again, NOA is dumb as hell.

But since we can import them, NOA can just suck my dick! I'll gladly give NOE my money.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah but in this case, from everything I've heard, we're not really missing out.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 1, 2014

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Rascyc posted:

Yeah but in this case, from everything I've heard, we're not really missing out.

From what I've heard it's not a case of "OMG WHY THE gently caress DIDN'T THESE MAKE IT!?" Games but more "Hey, these games are pretty good and a nice addition to the Wii's lineup" which really, is absolute poo poo right now as far as current releases go, so they're nice things to have.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Rascyc posted:

Where are you hearing this? I've never heard of Pandora, but Last Story got great reviews.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Wendell posted:

Where are you hearing this? I've never heard of Pandora, but Last Story got great reviews.

The general opinion I've heard on Last Story is "pretty good but not as good as Xenoblade."

I also know next to nothing about Pandora's Tower. Anyone know what it's about?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Jesto posted:

If they realized that not localizing it was a mistake, why wouldn't they localize it?

Unless that would be tantamount to them admitting a mistake and NOA never admits to mistakes? :confused:

I just figured it'd be too late at this point. Although, they wouldn't have to do much since they could just get the script from NOE and get some American voice actors.

Troffen posted:

The general opinion I've heard on Last Story is "pretty good but not as good as Xenoblade."

Yeah but there are very few games as good as Xenoblade, so that's not saying much.

I'll get it when it comes out either way; it's not like we have much of a selection of JRPGs to choose from this generation.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Yeah but there are very few games as good as Xenoblade, so that's not saying much.

I'll get it when it comes out either way; it's not like we have much of a selection of JRPGs to choose from this generation.

Yeah it's not really a fair comparison, but when you've got two Wii-exclusive import-only JRPGs with MMO-style combat, it's kind of hard not to compare them. That said, I'll probably be getting it for the same reason.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The release date for Atelier Meruru has been announced: Spring 2012

http://www.nisamerica.com/index.php?nav=n&article=pbomb/PrinnyBomb_Vol179.html
http://nisamerica.com/nart/pbombs/2011/179/Meruru_announcement_20111116pb.pdf

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Wendell posted:

Just from my little gang of import/fluent friends. Importing is so expensive that usually someone takes the bullet for the good of the gang before suggesting what is good or not! The general jist I got was not that it wasn't necessarily as good as Xenoblade, but that it does all the things we took for granted in Xenoblade and takes it back a step.

Maybe it's all right though, it's a pretty dry spell for JRPGs in general. Not to mention the Wii factor.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Well, the combat looks relatively interesting, if it works the way I think it works, and it's another relatively good game in a console starved for good games so I figure it's worth a shot v:shobon:v
Besides, comparing any future jrpgs to Xenoblade just isn't healthy. I doubt anything will ever top that game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Calaveron posted:

Besides, comparing any future jrpgs to Xenoblade just isn't healthy. I doubt anything will ever top that game.

I'm hoping every single person involved with making RPG's in Japan played it and realised just how much better it is than practically anything they've done in the past 10 years.

Kathandrion
Jul 10, 2009
Are there ANY wrpgs for playstation or super nintendo?

I want to be able to pick the main character's class and I'm looking for something very numbers based, like a dnd game.

I've played pretty much all the classic jrpgs (final fantasies 6-9 and tactics, chrono trigger and cross, etc), and I'm really jonesing for more customization.

This is for me to play on my phone, if that matters.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Kathandrion posted:

I want to be able to pick the main character's class and I'm looking for something very numbers based, like a dnd game.

I've played pretty much all the classic jrpgs (final fantasies 6-9 and tactics, chrono trigger and cross, etc), and I'm really jonesing for more customization.

Well, there's the Eye of the Beholder series on the SNES. Shadowrun, too. Front Mission might qualify.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

There are the awful Ultima ports for SNES!

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Wizardry I-II-III: The Story of Llylgamyn for SNES should keep you occupied. There's an English translation patch. Highly recommended.

Wendell posted:

There are the awful Ultima ports for SNES!

No. Just... no. Awful doesn't even begin to describe those.

Kathandrion
Jul 10, 2009
That wizardry link looks pretty solid, though I'm a bit confused about what I'm looking at.

Is that a (hopefully legal) source for me to get a game that was edited by fans, or is it just basic information about the game?

Under What computer/emulator does it run on it says "n/a", what does that mean?

Apologies if these are stupid or obvious questions, and I would normally just try to run/install it myself or whatever but I'm at work atm.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

Kathandrion posted:

That wizardry link looks pretty solid, though I'm a bit confused about what I'm looking at.

Is that a (hopefully legal) source for me to get a game that was edited by fans, or is it just basic information about the game?

Under What computer/emulator does it run on it says "n/a", what does that mean?

Apologies if these are stupid or obvious questions, and I would normally just try to run/install it myself or whatever but I'm at work atm.

The first link is just some info with a couple of screenshots and a bunch of further links, and the second one is the English translation patch. The patching instructions are there as well. Obviously you need to acquire the original ROMs first, hopefully legally. :P As for the SNES emulator, Snes9x works fine for me.

Kathandrion
Jul 10, 2009
Got it.

I know what I'm doing tonight :)

Yeah snes9x is what I use I was just confused by the "n/a"

Edit:

Where are my manners? Thanks for the cool link!

Kathandrion fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 17, 2011

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Kathandrion posted:

the first Diablo game came out on Playstation. There's also Darkstone, which as far as I'm aware is just a not-as-good Diablo rip off but I've never actually played it

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Paperhouse posted:

the first Diablo game came out on Playstation. There's also Darkstone, which as far as I'm aware is just a not-as-good Diablo rip off but I've never actually played it

Imagine Diablo but with cartoony, early era 3D graphics, and worse in basically every way.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

Kathandrion posted:

Check out Dark Law, a JRPG that offers a lot of customization and a pretty cool tactical battle system. You'll need to get the translation patch, but it's a pretty cool game. There's also Dark Lord, its prequel, which is maybe the best NES RPG.

Oh yeah, there was a version of Wizardry 4 and 5 that came out on the Playstation in Japan. It wasn't released here but it's completely in English. It's called New Age of Llylygamyn. Get it just for Wizardry 4, which was one of the coolest and weirdest games ever made ;)

Chef Boyardee fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Kathandrion posted:

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain