Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I really wish I had some training done with Taziki, we just can't control her when another dog comes over. She's not really bad like embarrassing bad, but she just wants to play and can't be bothered to listen.

Thought I sort of get a proud father feeling because no one expects the speed to come out of her. We had a BBQ last weekend and the one guy just couldn't believe how Taziki could take a corner. I was just like "Well she's low to the ground."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bakahentai
Nov 3, 2003
kuso atama

The Dave posted:

Yeah I really wish I had some training done with Taziki, we just can't control her when another dog comes over. She's not really bad like embarrassing bad, but she just wants to play and can't be bothered to listen.

Thought I sort of get a proud father feeling because no one expects the speed to come out of her. We had a BBQ last weekend and the one guy just couldn't believe how Taziki could take a corner. I was just like "Well she's low to the ground."

"Awww look at those short widdle legs! The walk up the hill must have been so tough!"
*Another dog runs by*
*Zooooooooooooooooooom*
:rice:

Oh I wish I had the time to get the pup back into agility. There's really been few other times when I've felt so proud of her than after a full course done well.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

The Dave posted:

Same here. We have rather bark-y dogs that like to bark at EVERYTHING. We try to keep them calm, but it ultimately doesn't work

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Puppy agility classes were so much fun, and FAR more interesting than the obedience classes. Did it with my Beagle pup around 8 months old, and had a blast. We also tried agility with my next puppy, and Nellie (my BC mix) was doing the dog walk and teeter with confidence at about 12 weeks old. I had hoped she'd be my little agility champion, but it didn't really work out in the long run because she hates being around new dogs, new people, and new situations. BUT agility training was perfect for wearing out a smart, athletic puppy and developing a solid working relationship. Hopefully someday I'll have the time and the right dog for agility. I'm in love with all the Cardigan Corgis in this thread.

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.
She fights for your freedom.
So, I was sent here from the Puppy thread to ask you guys some stuff.

My husband and I are getting our own house with a huge backyard, and we wanted to get a dog. We were looking at corgis, because I love corgis so very much, and because I had heard they were good with children. The size is also a plus for us.

Problem is, we have a baby son, who will be a year old when we move in. I will also have a guinea pig by next May, and we eventually (in a few years) want to get ferrets.

I have a few questions regarding corgis: would a corgi ACTUALLY be a good idea to have with a one year old around? We have been teaching him from very early on to be gentle with dogs and cats, and he's slowly learning to not hit, grab, or pinch, and to keep his hand open and to be gentle when petting my mom's dogs.

Corgis are ratters, so is there a danger of the corgi trying to get at my guinea pig or trying to bust into the ferret's area to eat them?

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you :)

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Actually it's universally known that corgis are not good dogs for young children because they are nippy. They're herding dogs (not ratters) and rely on nipping heels to accomplish this. They're very high energy dogs and they need a lot of attention which may not be possible with young kids, as well. Without a lot of effort you wind up with a nippy, destructive dog.

Of course, your mileage may vary but that's a typical corgi. My dog has an unnatural love of small children and is amazing with kids in the 0-2 year range. He's weird though and loves when babies pull on his ears. Kids that are older he snaps into rough house mode, and he can get really nippy when he's excited.

Despite their size, you're looking at a very active, high maintience dog.

As far as your other pets? I wouldn't trust them out around each other running free or anything but I wouldn't worry about the cages. You should be crate training your dog (especially corgis!) so when you're out of the house the dog won't have a chance to get into anything. It would be like introducing any random pet to any random dog.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Duuh! These are staaairs!
Both of our corgis have an almost freakish love for small children. They get very calm and will slowly crawl into their laps to receive head scratches and belly rubs. :) That said, Tristesse is absolutely right that if you play rough with them (like a younger child might do) they can get really hyper really fast and get nippy even though they're not trying to hurt you.

I think corgis can be great dogs for children as long as they are given enough daily exercise to keep their energy in check. Each corgi will be different. My older dog (6 yrs) is worn out after 15-20 minutes of hard play (long range fetch is his favorite), while the younger one (1.5 years) can gogogogo for an hour before he drops. If we've had a busy week and aren't able to give them the playtime that they need, it's obvious in how restless and anxious they are.

Crunch Bucket fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 12, 2011

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think if you absolutely want a Corgi and already have a small child you should adopt one that is known to be good around kids. Taziki thankfully is great with kids and generally ignores them. But she's gone with my girlfriend for baby sitting and actually slept right next to a baby.

But you can see it when she gets super excited she has a desire to use her teeth. When she sprints she sometimes takes shots at our ankles and nibbbles hands. Very lightly to us, but probably not a kid.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Tristesse posted:

They're herding dogs (not ratters) and rely on nipping heels to accomplish this.

In the other thread, ratting was mentioned because working Corgis are general farm dogs, and dispensing pests was considered part of the job description.

Herding puppies in general are incredibly nippy. Some grow out of it, some do not. If you're adopting an older dog whose temperament has been thoroughly vetted you should be okay.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Yeah that's pretty much exactly what Ace does with really little kids. Anything in the 4-9 year range is in trouble though, especially if they're eating cheetos!

Ace figured out he's GREAT at tripping little kids by walking in front of them and hip checking them. He times this for the exact moment they're hoisting a chip to their mouths. Bump! Oh hey a cheeto is suddenly on the floor, it must be mine...

They're clever little jerks.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

My dog is a Cardigan Corgi, but I think the general wisdom for all corgis (probably all herding dogs) is that they can be pushy with kids. I know my dog's breeder said that "corgis are not recommended with little kids". However, my dog's litter was raised by her co-breeder friend who had a two year old. When we went to pick up our puppy, the kid and the puppies (litter of 10 puppies!) were getting along famously. I think a lot of that was due to the mom's close supervision though.

Really, you have to remember that neither dogs nor kids come with impulse control pre-programmed, so you have to be willing to watch their interactions closely, and teach proper behavior to both the dog and the kid. Corgis can be challenging (especially corgi puppies) because, as others have said, their natural drive is to nip and to herd. If something is "out of place" according to a corgi, the dog might very well try to correct that situation. My personal anecdote is that we have to feed our two cats separately, in different rooms. My corgi has recognized that the gray cat belongs in the bedroom, and the tabby cat belongs in the living room. She will do her best to chase the cats into their respective rooms, regardless of whether it's feeding time or not... much to the annoyance of the cats.

Regarding other animals, corgis can definitely learn boundaries regarding other household pets, but you'll be best off picking an adult dog that has already proven to be good with other smaller animals. My dog recognizes the difference between her cats and other cats. It's actually pretty cute that she and my cat will sit at the sliding glass door next to each other, and they'll both growl at any other animals that come into the yard.

So basically, check the local shelters and rescues and find a dog that's past the rear end in a top hat puppy stage. Believe me, you don't want to have a teething puppy in the same house with a small child, you would go insane. You might also check with reputable breeders regarding whether they have any adult dogs (or close to adult dogs) that need to be placed in a good home. Sometimes breeders have slightly older pups that didn't work out as show prospects, or even retired show dogs that need a new home.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

The suggestion to consider an older dog with a proven personality is a great one.

My stupid brother has gone through 3 shelter puppies because, he says, they were aggressive and made my nephew cry. I met all 3 puppies and they were just doing normal puppy stuff - nipping, jumping, etc. It was my brother who didn't want to put in the time to train the dog how to behave. It was always the dog's fault, in his mind. As soon as the puppy started acting like a puppy.. back to the pound it went.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I have a Cardigan Corgi puppy who is now five and a half months old and I am only just barely starting to be able to walk into another room and trust he won't chew on everything immediately. Until now, we've been tethering, crating, or keeping an eye on him 100% of the time. Now we do those things 80% of the time. He also needs a LOT (a couple hours of training/ hour long walks) to totally tire him out, otherwise he's anxious, barky, demanding, trying to eat the cat, etc. With a small child as well, this would have been a completely nightmare, I can't even imagine. We have my boyfriend's two kids (8 and 11) every other weekend, and he is nippy with them (never bites down hard, but mouths). We've been teaching them about how to act around dogs, how to pet him, how to read his body language and know when he wants to play and when he wants to sleep, and they STILL don't quite get it, and will jab their hands in his face to pet him and he'll play-mouth them. If they were tiny, that could be quite scary.

Moments like this one, where he's quiet and calm and snuggly are getting more common, but are still fairly rare:

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

I'll say I don't trust Nova around kids. It's not because she's mean; it's the opposite. It's because she's a 6 month old corgi puppy who goes :holy: around new people and becomes very excited, mouthy, and jumpy. I don't want her to nip a kid and accidentally hurt it. We're working on getting her to settle down around new people, but it's a process. I still let calm kids come up to pet her once she's settled down, but I think having a toddler and a corgi puppy in the same house would be stressful.

She also herds my cats. Well, or tries to. One gives her a slap when she tries and the other ignores her. She herds other dogs at the dog park. She tries to herd me when she gets excited. She's very, very barky when she wants something, whether it's to go out, to play, when a cat's where she doesn't think it should be, when there's a weird noise outside... she's learning 'quiet' and 'that's enough', but again, it's been a slow process that sometimes drove me nuts. She needs at least 2 45 minute walks a day or she goes batty in the house.

That said, she's a very sweet, intelligent little puppy who's been a great little dog. But corgi puppies are a lot of work for their size; I have friends who have companion dog puppies and they're amazed at the energy Nova has and how much work I need to put into her. Love my pup to death, but it's definitely something you need to be aware of before getting into it!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The Dave posted:

But you can see it when she gets super excited she has a desire to use her teeth. When she sprints she sometimes takes shots at our ankles and nibbbles hands. Very lightly to us, but probably not a kid.
Yeah this. My corgi I had growing up loved to nip at ankles, I believe that it's a semi-instinctive herding trait. I've never known a corgi (that wasn't super well trained) who wouldn't jump at the chance to nip the hells of a child when playing chase with them. My corgi was also known to nip at kids who'd try and crawl into her crate when she was tired and cranky, and we didn't let people's toddlers play with her because she could be a right little bitch when she lost patience.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Hey, question for all of you with adult corgis.

Nova's outgrown her puppy collar finally - it's all the way out at 13" and is getting a bit tighter than I'd like. So, I'm looking at new collars and I'd like to get something that's nice instead of a crappy nylon collar.

She's 6 months old and about 16-17 pounds, with a current 13" neck. What size range should I look at? I have no idea how much bigger she'll get, but her parents were a bit smaller. Her dam was in the 20-25 range and her sire was 25 lbs.

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

They fucking better have lemon cakes.
LACK OF PICTURES

:colbert:

elf pr0n fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 18, 2011

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

How bout video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZvUhpLUzlo

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Holy poo poo, my corgi Penny absolutely will not fetch if it kills her. She'll go and get the ball, yeah, but then she'll run FURTHER away and make you come and get it. She knows she's loving with you too, little jerk. But she looks so cute with those big ears and dopey smile...

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Kerafyrm posted:

Hey, question for all of you with adult corgis.

Nova's outgrown her puppy collar finally - it's all the way out at 13" and is getting a bit tighter than I'd like. So, I'm looking at new collars and I'd like to get something that's nice instead of a crappy nylon collar.

She's 6 months old and about 16-17 pounds, with a current 13" neck. What size range should I look at? I have no idea how much bigger she'll get, but her parents were a bit smaller. Her dam was in the 20-25 range and her sire was 25 lbs.

Corgi necks are weird with sizing thanks to those big block bodies. Ace is 3 and his neck fits MOST 13 inch collars, but some randomly seem way too tight and some way too loose. He's pretty much exactly in the right spot to make it a pain to find a collar. It's also really hard to rely on weight for size like you would a normal body styled dog. For instance, Ace is 24 lbs, which puts him in the "small" category for a lot of dog stuff. He's way too big for most small stuff, mostly because he's got a bigass barrel chest.

For the most part I tend to eyeball sizing, or I'll just bring Ace with me to the store and try stuff on/ hold it up to him to see if it might fit.

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Need more photos!

From the left, Dexter, Dewey, and Dash.

Dex 'n Dew belong to us, Dash is Dewey's brother who belongs to our friends. We babysit him occasionally when they go out of town. The D-name thing was a total coincidence.. but we think it's cute. :)

Yes, Dexter was desperate need of a nail trim at the time this photo was taken.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I love the whole little solemn corgi bookended by large happy ones thing goin' on there :3:

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Those are clearly fake, as that chair isn't covered in dog hair.

bakahentai
Nov 3, 2003
kuso atama

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Apparently my Corgi is Team Jacob. I left him with my dad this past week while I was on a business trip. Somehow a bat got in the living room and was dive-bombing at my dad's head. On the bat's second attempt my dad ducked his head and then heard a crunch. Hopkins had jumped up and snatched the motherfucker out of the air, crushing its head in the process. Then he just dropped it and sat there like :whatup:

"BATS AIN'T poo poo"

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Is it a corgi or a bull terrier? YOU DECIDE.

Mah brokeface dawg.

She's basically back to normal now, just a little bit more jumpy about being surprised. She yelped when I sneaked up on her to play "tap the butt" without her knowledge earlier today, but she's fine around other dogs, so I guess that's good.

She's been spoiled all to hell since she got chomped, and this is the result:

"What, this couch is mine, isn't it?"

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

ButWhatIf posted:

Is it a corgi or a bull terrier? YOU DECIDE.

Mah brokeface dawg.

Wait, what happened??! That's what Zeke looks like when he tries to mouth bees...

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Tristesse posted:

Those are clearly fake, as that chair isn't covered in dog hair.

Ha! Oh how the photo deceives. Trust me, that furniture is hair central. We just warn our guests that if they wish to sit on any non wood/leather piece of furniture in our house, they are doing so at their own risk.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

We're visiting a nice little 1 year old Corgi this upcoming Sunday who needs a forever home, I'm pretty excited at the idea of having 2 meatballs roaming around the house.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Well winter came early, which means the annual Ace runnin in the snow like an idiot photodump is here!

and inside warming up

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Haven't posted a picture of Butters in a while so here-

Such a handsome bear :3:

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
I don't think I've posted this. Here's a video of Ellie getting hit by a car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJf3jxZaDHo

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

RabbitMage posted:

I don't think I've posted this. Here's a video of Ellie getting hit by a car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJf3jxZaDHo
Hahahahahahahaha that just made my Monday. :3: She must have been really tired? I can't imagine Hopkins not going bananas on that thing.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

RabbitMage posted:

oh my god that's adorable.

poor ace would flip out and pee himself.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

Noctone posted:

Hahahahahahahaha that just made my Monday. :3: She must have been really tired? I can't imagine Hopkins not going bananas on that thing.

She's pretty laid back, actually. She can get really worked up sometimes-like when I come home or if there's even the slightest chance food will happen. Since the car isn't food and I wasn't going anywhere, she really didn't care.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Colin McRae has gone too far this time.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

RabbitMage posted:

She's pretty laid back, actually. She can get really worked up sometimes-like when I come home or if there's even the slightest chance food will happen. Since the car isn't food and I wasn't going anywhere, she really didn't care.
That's one chill rear end Corgi. Hopkins is pretty much the same, with the exception that he is all over anything that moves. It's hilarious to watch him chase a fly.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

RabbitMage posted:

Oh my god, haha. At first I was all "this is cute" then when you stop backing away and just start running into her jaw over and over I lost it.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Colin McRae has gone too far this time.

New gymkhana challenge found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

So I just signed the lease for a house that I will be moving into in December, so that means I can finally get a dog. I have been trying to decide between a bull terrier or a corgi, but I'm leaning more towards getting a corgi. I keep watching for one from a shelter that I could adopt, but it seems like they rarely come up, so it looks like I will end up going through a breeder. I know that there are some seattle area corgi owners here, any recommendations for breeders? I seem to remember people mentioning the Paul Chen at Afara being a good breeder, and it looks like they just had a new litter. Any advice for looking for a corgi in this area?

• Locked thread