Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Waltman has always had pretty solid fundamentals at the least.

I remember watching a 123 Kid match ages ago before I knew Waltman was the 123 Kid (although I'd figured it out by the end of the match) and wondering what the hell happened to such a good performer who had seemingly dissapeared.

I don't think you can ever really say Waltman was bad, just not overly motived. I've never seen an X-pac match where I thought his performance was particularly unwatchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garbow
Sep 1, 2011

by angerbeet
Hell, in Jericho's book, when he was coming into the WWE at the time, Waltman was the measuring stick to see if you were good enough. If even Waltman couldn't carry you to a good match, you were poo poo.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
X-pac rules, the rest can suck it :colbert:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Sue Denim posted:

Waltman has always had pretty solid fundamentals at the least.

I remember watching a 123 Kid match ages ago before I knew Waltman was the 123 Kid (although I'd figured it out by the end of the match) and wondering what the hell happened to such a good performer who had seemingly dissapeared.

I don't think you can ever really say Waltman was bad, just not overly motived. I've never seen an X-pac match where I thought his performance was particularly unwatchable.

X-Pac is basically every functional pothead you know. Good enough to get by and even be noticed sometimes, but probably not working to their potential.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Waltman was a smart worker who had a pretty decent style and such, but what really was his ceiling that he never achieved?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Lone Rogue posted:

Waltman was a smart worker who had a pretty decent style and such, but what really was his ceiling that he never achieved?

He had a MOTYC with Bret Hart on Raw once. He was probably the Rey Mysterio of the early - mid 90s in that he was too small to be taken seriously as a world champ due to booking predilections of that era.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Moose Bigelow posted:

He had a MOTYC with Bret Hart on Raw once. He was probably the Rey Mysterio of the early - mid 90s in that he was too small to be taken seriously as a world champ due to booking predilections of that era.

And so, so many lighter weight wrestlers cite him as the reason they got into wrestling. He was a trailblazer.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Lone Rogue posted:

With some dedication and let's be honest, HGH, he probably could've been in line for a World Title feud (not a run though) while Michaels and Bret were on top based on workrate alone. If TNA has made hay of Bubba as a singles talent, I don't know why Pac couldn't be one.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

With some dedication and let's be honest, HGH, he probably could've been in line for a World Title feud (not a run though) while Michaels and Bret were on top based on workrate alone. If TNA has made hay of Bubba as a singles talent, I don't know why Pac couldn't be one.

Waltman was in TNA at a few points. It never worked out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

Waltman was in TNA at a few points. It never worked out.

It was the same problem as the Hardys, really. He'd show up, put on some good matches, get a decent response, then fall apart, no-show and finally they'd shitcan him, only to bring him back a year later.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

flashy_mcflash posted:

I guess I'm looking at it based on the era he was in.

When 1-2-3 Kidd was in the WWF, he stood out as the only real Cruiserweight style wrestler. Once he went to WCW, he once again was allowed to stand out as the only Cruiserweight in the nWo. However, he was easily overshadowed in WCW by better cruiserweights with better offence and character. Waltman couldn't compete with a heel Eddie or Jericho.

Now in the WWF again, X-Pac stayed out of the Light Heavyweight Division and was pushed quite well in the European Title and Tag Title divisions despite being quite limited on the mic and already getting stale. They didn't put him in a Cruiserweight type division until 2001 when the WWF side was lacking in those guys to take on the likes of Billy Kidman. And he flopped bad for being incredibly stale, unlikeable and again, not good on the mic.

Again, I just don't see where his ceiling would have been. An Intercontinental Title contender? ECW World Champion? Either way, Waltman didn't do very much to re-invent himself and even today he sort of relies on who he used to be, it's just he's cleaned up and he doesn't seem so stale anymore because we haven't seen him really "go" in years.

I just don't see where Waltman would have fit in the late 90s, early 2000s main event scene. Sure, better than Bulldog did, but is that an endorsement really?

Gaz-L posted:

It was the same problem as the Hardys, really. He'd show up, put on some good matches, get a decent response, then fall apart, no-show and finally they'd shitcan him, only to bring him back a year later.

Waltman is one of the few guys who actually quit once Vince Russo went back to TNA and for that I always had respect for him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Dave's analysis on why the TNA PPV was such a failure was really interesting.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The new episode is taking an eternity to come up. Bryan probably just fell asleep and forgot to post it, but I'd like to think it's because DM is ranting about RAW. :)

edit: I ended up Re-upping for the UWF review. Goddamn love UWF.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

this isn't really an unusual time for the show to be up, or not up i guess

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
It's up now. The stuff about Vince deliberately booking humiliating segments so that he could show the tapes at the WWE Xmas party while everyone awkwardly laughs just because Vince laughs has me convinced, if more proof were needed, that Vince has serious mental and emotional problems

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Bryan and Dave arguing over if you can predict the dumb booking was hilarious

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Bryan and Dave arguing over if you can predict the dumb booking was hilarious

Dave going on and on with his running into a wall analogy was great

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

It's up now. The stuff about Vince deliberately booking humiliating segments so that he could show the tapes at the WWE Xmas party while everyone awkwardly laughs just because Vince laughs has me convinced, if more proof were needed, that Vince has serious mental and emotional problems

Christ, it's like Vince is the concentrate version of what Occupy Wall Street is rallying against.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

Christ, it's like Vince is the concentrate version of what Occupy Wall Street is rallying against.

Vince is the only man in Pro wrestling who has to play down his real life persona.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

WWE promoting Neptune would be so much better than WWE promoting their twitter.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Dave says 'like' more than a high school cheerleader from the 80's

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Dave says 'like' more than a high school cheerleader from the 80's

You know?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
He is from, like, SoCal, y'know?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Dave has been on fire in recent observers.

quote:

Khali is opening a wrestling school in India. There are so many possibilities for humor there I don’t know where to start.

Well I found that funny. But this in the most recent retro observer cracked me up

quote:

TCI of South Maine, the cable company in Biddford, ME, accidentally aired an adult movie in place of SummerSlam on 8/29. Even though only 30 or 40 homes in the cable system had ordered SS, the company received about 300 complaining calls. The funniest thing in a newspaper article about the incident was the caller who said his two children, ages eight and 11, watched the movie for 15 minutes before they realized it wasn't the wrestling show. I'm not sure if those kids need to be watching more wrestling, or less wrestling, if it took that long to figure out they weren't watching SummerSlam.

Also,

quote:

Johnny Polo quit the WWF. The leaving was amicable. He was working in the office producing segments for the various television shows, but wanted to wrestle and Titan had no plans to use him in that role. He'll probably go to indies and use the name Scotty the Body once again.

Or will he? *dramatic music*

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
I listened to some Dave shows from back in 2000/2001 and he didn't say you know and like every other word. I think the lovely wrestling of the past 10 years has damaged Dave's brain.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Cactus Jack posted:

I listened to some Dave shows from back in 2000/2001 and he didn't say you know and like every other word. I think the lovely wrestling of the past 10 years has damaged Dave's brain.
Don't forget 'mentality'

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
Very good Smart Wrestling Fan this week I thought, lots of in-depth discussion of Rock/Cena which I really enjoyed being apart of. Question though, are any of the SWF listeners on here subscribers to Extra? What would get you to subscribe if you're not/what's your favourite part if you are?

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Bryan and Vinny reviewed among others the Chikara iPPV, and compares Crossbones to Humpty Dumpty.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Yeah, their joy at Crossbones, Archibald Peck, and TURSAS was so much fun to listen to. :)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

dshban posted:

Very good Smart Wrestling Fan this week I thought, lots of in-depth discussion of Rock/Cena which I really enjoyed being apart of. Question though, are any of the SWF listeners on here subscribers to Extra? What would get you to subscribe if you're not/what's your favourite part if you are?

I've started listening to SWF more regularly and I'm really enjoying it, but not too sure about plonking down for extra when I pretty much just want the podcast for work.

Forgive my ignorance but isn't Extra just the ability to grab those fan made songs and some extra pre-and-post-podcast chat to listen to?

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

Semiru posted:

I've started listening to SWF more regularly and I'm really enjoying it, but not too sure about plonking down for extra when I pretty much just want the podcast for work.

Forgive my ignorance but isn't Extra just the ability to grab those fan made songs and some extra pre-and-post-podcast chat to listen to?

Those are the main things, but then you get things like what we just uploaded (which I guess counts as post-podcast chat) which was a 100+ minute discussion between Larry, Baddie and myself of just about anything - there's also a 3-hour one between just Larry and I in the archives - plus a 50+ minute review/discussion of the HBK/Bret rivalry DVD between Larry and I. Also back episodes and news updates from Joe every few days.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Every part of the Chikara recap is gold.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

dshban posted:

Extra stuff

Hmmm, sounds interesting. I'll give it a look since it's pretty cheap anyway.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Every part of the Chikara recap is gold.

Vinnie proves my theory that no matter if you've seen him before you will immediately fall in love with Archibald Peck.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Lance Storm continues to be a self-righteous know-it-all on The Board. Film at 11. Oh, and Dave defends him.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

ChampRamp posted:

Lance Storm continues to be a self-righteous know-it-all on The Board. Film at 11. Oh, and Dave defends him.

More info please for non board members?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChampRamp posted:

I see one post in the last few days and it seems very reasonable.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's just Lance saying that he only gained 15lbs in his entire career? And Dave saying that he didn't' say what the person said he said.

Or am I missing something?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Could someone quote it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Art of Wrestling gets cool this week.

• Locked thread