Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
That's a very reasonable price if the bike runs well. I would caution you to make sure you really test ride it because it does have pod filters. Those are notorious for not running properly. It could be tuned properly and run great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Out of curiosity, for small/affordable/mellow starter cruisers is the Suzuki GZ250 considered to be an okay option?

Cruisers are meant for a laid-back, roomy riding stance. Unless you are very small, a GZ250 is going to be cramped and you will look and feel silly on it.

For a beginner bike with a chunky rumbly narrow-angle v-twin, you are probably OK going up around 750cc, depending on whether or not you have the leg length and thigh strength to be able to handle a slightly-heavier machine. The engines make super tame power; 750cc is probably making around 45 horsepower. This means there are a lot of options.

Shadow 600/750, Vstar 650, Virago 750, Vulcan 750/800, Savage 650, and Boulevard S40/C50 - used and appropriately priced, all should make ok beginner bikes that won't struggle on the interstate and won't get you in trouble. Engine guards will sop up most if not all minor tip-over damage, and it's kind of difficult to find a bike like this without one.

Best way to know if it's going to be too small, too heavy, or just right is to sit on some.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I bought a 84 Nighthawk 650 as my first bike. Got it a couple months ago. For me, I think this was the perfect starter bike. It's a naked standard, and seems to fit me like a glove. It's got a bit more power than a 250, but it's really easy to manage if you shift at the right times as there's not much on the low end. It's also got enough balls to get on the highway without having to wring it out (6 speed). I got it for 900 bucks and it runs great. Also, hydraulic valves and shaft drive! Though I don't know if shaft drive is considered a good or bad thing.

Plus I think the thing is just drat sexy.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 26, 2011

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Odette posted:

I like wringing my cruiser baby on the freeway. :(

Yeah, this is an argument I recognize from AI: driving a slow car fast can be a shitload more fun than driving a fast car slowly.

When I drove Casnorf's 944 it was basically the same experience from 35 to 120, and then it was all "Oh poo poo this is 2 years in prison speed" and it wasn't topped out yet; that's fun I guess but when I get my old NA Volvo 740 up to 85 I feel like king of the loving world and I really need both hands on the wheel. When you're at the upper end of something it sort of doesn't matter what speed it actually is, you're just going "bitch, this is fast" speed. I don't know but I would guess that dirtbikes probably feel fast as poo poo at 50.

I guess I could see that feeling being cut into a little when cars are constantly passing you with little kids flipping the bird though.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

when I get my old NA Volvo 740 up to 85 I feel like king of the loving world

This is fast as my 1980 tercel would go, period. And it took 5 minutes of white knuckle deathgrip to get up that fast, every second of it was awesome.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Splizwarf posted:

Yeah, this is an argument I recognize from AI: driving a slow car fast can be a shitload more fun than driving a fast car slowly.

When I drove Casnorf's 944 it was basically the same experience from 35 to 120, and then it was all "Oh poo poo this is 2 years in prison speed" and it wasn't topped out yet; that's fun I guess but when I get my old NA Volvo 740 up to 85 I feel like king of the loving world and I really need both hands on the wheel. When you're at the upper end of something it sort of doesn't matter what speed it actually is, you're just going "bitch, this is fast" speed. I don't know but I would guess that dirtbikes probably feel fast as poo poo at 50.

I guess I could see that feeling being cut into a little when cars are constantly passing you with little kids flipping the bird though.

This dirtbike reference makes me want to go gokarting again. Drifting at 50km/hr on gokarts is just hilariously fun.

And I don't care about the kids cause I lanesplit past the fuckers when they're held up in traffic. :smug:

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

SaNChEzZ posted:

This is fast as my 1980 tercel would go, period. And it took 5 minutes of white knuckle deathgrip to get up that fast, every second of it was awesome.

If you'd have had 2 less gallons of gas you'd have broken 80.

Wait, if you'd have had 2 less gallons of gas the tank may have been empty.

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008
Looking to get a dual sport bike - It will be my first motorcycle. I know the KLR650 is a very mature and incredibly popular bike but I'm also curious as to other dualies that people recommend. I like the XR650L and I know that KTM has some interesting bikes as well.

I'm looking for a bike that will be used for a daily 15 mile (each way) commute and hopefully longer, weekend length trips.

I've been hesitant to look at bikes under 650 - my retarded reasoning is that I'm 6'3 and weight 300lbs and figured I would need something bigger to haul my fat rear end around. Is that the wrong way to think about it?

I found this KLR and it seems like a good deal: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/2660142866.html

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Scrapez posted:

If you'd have had 2 less gallons of gas you'd have broken 80.

Wait, if you'd have had 2 less gallons of gas the tank may have been empty.

It was an 11 gallon tank, so it may have been. That needle was also very very wrong most of the time.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Splizwarf posted:

Aye man, it's because it's fun to be on the limit, regardless of what you're on. You never see the limit of fast cars on the street, same with fast bikes.

I can take some turns smoother and faster on a 600, but on the 250 it feels like I'm on the edge and flying thru....

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Took this for a test ride last weekend:

http://tinyurl.com/6j7blcj

No photo, but it basically looks the same as this:

http://tinyurl.com/5rpdu9z

Doing a test ride from a dealership sucked, because I had to fill out all these forms and poo poo and wear a fluro vest and a license plate slung over my shoulder. Plus for some reason all the bike dealerships in Melbourne are in the heart of the CBD, with all the traffic and trams and poo poo, and I didn't once get out of second gear.

I liked it - the ride was as smooth as a fine scotch - but the thing I'm concerned about is that I may be too tall for it and look like a dickhead. I'm six foot, so, to compare it with the KLX250, which I'm riding now:

That sounds like a vain concern, but if I'm dropping 8 grand on a bike because I think it looks good, then I want to look good on it. I see a lot of big guys in my neighbourhood riding around perched on top of Honda CBs, and they just look... weird. But then, I like the vintage look, and every other vintage-style bike - Bonnevilles, SR400S, Royal Enfields - are all pretty much the same size.

Maybe I'm overthinking it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

freebooter posted:

Maybe I'm overthinking it.

Yup, if you like it, who loving cares.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Much like predators can smell fear, humans can sense when you feel like a wiener with dickhands. Looking stupid has a lot to do with body language and confidence.

I think it was Dave Chappelle that said "The only difference between a successful businessman and a crazy motherfucker is a bluetooth earpiece."

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
If anyone, especially a noob, wants the Clymer manual for a Honda CB250 Nighthawk, Honda Rebel, or Twinstar (1978-2003), shoot me a PM and I'll mail mine out to you free. Mine is probably in a hundred pieces at some chop-shop in Maryland by now, so I don't have much need for this and might as well pass it along for karma.

These are drat fun little bikes, and I'm really glad I got one as my first bike. Sold that one, the stolen one was my second CB250 for a city-riding bike.

EDIT: Going out to auruspex.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 30, 2011

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

If anyone, especially a noob, wants the Clymer manual for a Honda CB250 Nighthawk, Honda Rebel, or Twinstar (1978-2003), shoot me a PM and I'll mail mine out to you free. Mine is probably in a hundred pieces at some chop-shop in Maryland by now, so I don't have much need for this and might as well pass it along for karma.

These are drat fun little bikes, and I'm really glad I got one as my first bike. Sold that one, the stolen one was my second CB250 for a city-riding bike.

Just PMd you!

ffubalo bill
Jun 22, 2005

mmmmmmm, savor flavor
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking at getting a biek again. My first was an ex500 which I miss because I could flog the piss out of it. My second was a sv1000s which was fun but I really miss being able to beat the crap out of my ex500. The capability of a sumo just seems like too much fun. There will be very little highway riding except to get to some twistyz and being able to do some off roading is just icing on the cake. I found this and wanted to see what you guys thought.

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/2645747286.html

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Quick question guys. Australian here, and new to bikes, and quite rightly we're restricted in what we can ride. Having said that, I really, really like this 1987 Honda XBR500 I've found. 82k on the clock.

Now, I know pretty much nothing about motorcycles, so is buying an older bike going to give me any hassle?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

ffubalo bill posted:

I'm looking at getting a biek again. My first was an ex500 which I miss because I could flog the piss out of it. My second was a sv1000s which was fun but I really miss being able to beat the crap out of my ex500. The capability of a sumo just seems like too much fun. There will be very little highway riding except to get to some twistyz and being able to do some off roading is just icing on the cake. I found this and wanted to see what you guys thought.

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/2645747286.html

If you don't buy it, I might.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Marching Powder posted:

Quick question guys. Australian here, and new to bikes, and quite rightly we're restricted in what we can ride. Having said that, I really, really like this 1987 Honda XBR500 I've found. 82k on the clock.

Now, I know pretty much nothing about motorcycles, so is buying an older bike going to give me any hassle?

Get it checked out by a mechanic before buying, but those things are pretty simple so it hopefully shouldn't be any issue.

e: You're looking at this one? You need to find out what they've done to get it back on the road. If it's been sitting for a couple of years it will need to have all of the fluids changed, tank drained and cleaned and fuel filter replaced and new tyres, probably a new chain too.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Get it checked out by a mechanic before buying, but those things are pretty simple so it hopefully shouldn't be any issue.

e: You're looking at this one? You need to find out what they've done to get it back on the road. If it's been sitting for a couple of years it will need to have all of the fluids changed, tank drained and cleaned and fuel filter replaced and new tyres, probably a new chain too.

Thanks man, I will get it checked out before I purchase it.

ffubalo bill
Jun 22, 2005

mmmmmmm, savor flavor
Grimey Drawer
The DRZ a few posts up still has a lien on it which the seller said is through a credit union. I would be getting my own loan to buy it through my credit union but I'm really unfamiliar with this process. Has anyone ever done something like this before and how painful and/or risky is it?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ffubalo bill posted:

The DRZ a few posts up still has a lien on it which the seller said is through a credit union. I would be getting my own loan to buy it through my credit union but I'm really unfamiliar with this process. Has anyone ever done something like this before and how painful and/or risky is it?
If the credit union is local, you should be able to go with him to it and have the title transferred to you right there, I think. Otherwise it's an issue of trust.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Someone slap me across the face and tell me I can't afford this:

http://tinyurl.com/73dcozj

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
I'm new to riding and buying my first bike.

I can't decide between an SV650N or a DRZ400SM. Whenever I go into one of their threads I'm certain that's the bike I want, until I go into the other bike's thread.

The SV has a dumb, oversize windshield and a long 1990's Yoshimureaiahaigha exhaust.
But it's otherwise pretty, a 2003 with 10k miles.

The DRZ400SM has (what I think is) a 4.0 Gal IMS tank and Acerbis handguards, front fender and headlight. It's a 2007 with 1500 miles.

Both are $3500

Addition info? They'll be used starting next summer when I get back from Afghanistan. I'm stationed in Fairbanks, AK so the dual purpose has certain appeal.

I'm also planning to ride out of Alaska next fall, which could be possible on the DRZ, but I'd probably need something else.

Can AI CA help?

Chriskory fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 15, 2011

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I love 2003 SV650's. But that asking price is too high. I got mine last year for $2,300 w/ 12,000 miles with a dinged tank. You should be asking for about the same price ($2500).

And to nitpick, that one is missing this part:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If I were looking to ride in Alaska I'd be looking for something with a bit of a fairing and enough generator capacity to run some heated clothing or at least grips

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

freebooter posted:

Someone slap me across the face and tell me I can't afford this:

http://tinyurl.com/73dcozj

*slap* you can't afford that.

I forget how much bikes cost in my homeland. I am kind of dreading going back just for that reason..

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd take the DRZ because the 2003 is the magical unicorn year of SV650 where it has a different subframe and a bunch of other irritating tiny poo poo, and that's way too much money for it.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

GanjamonII posted:

I forget how much everything costs in my homeland. I am kind of dreading going back just for that reason..

Fixed that for you.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Potential track-day bike? Would I need a title if I wasn't riding it on the street?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

thylacine posted:

Would I need a title if I wasn't riding it on the street?

Nope, no title required, I would run the VIN (you can just call the DMV) to make sure it isn't stolen though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

thylacine posted:

Potential track-day bike? Would I need a title if I wasn't riding it on the street?

I've bought a few bikes of that vintage for half that, so I'd try and bargain him down for sure. If he's the registered owner but just lost the title, go for it.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

freebooter posted:

Fixed that for you.

So true :(

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Z3n posted:

the 2003 is the magical unicorn year of SV650 where it has a different subframe and a bunch of other irritating tiny poo poo

They hired former Honda engineers?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Still dicking around with a '91 Ninja 500 I picked up as a beater, and am going to try a very amateur streetfightering job on since the fairing is both dowdy and held together with epoxy.

The size feels pretty decent to me (I'm short), and the weight decent for street riding. However, whenever I see the slightly smaller Ducati Monster 600/696 or a Buell Blast, I envy the even lower profile and compact size (though roughly the same weight). Are there any decent and readily available sport-standard bikes on the market in the 500-700cc window that are closer to those small bikes in size?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

There's an '02 Monster 620 with 33k miles on it for sale near me. Is this a horrible idea for a first bike?

Edit: oh Jesus that thing makes like 84hp. Nevermind. :smithicide:

Edit 2: or maybe it doesn't. I'm finding conflicting reports. What's with the "i.e." models? The Craigslist ad doesn't say anything about a specific model.

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 18, 2011

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Fifty Three posted:

There's an '02 Monster 620 with 33k miles on it for sale near me. Is this a horrible idea for a first bike?

Edit: oh Jesus that thing makes like 84hp. Nevermind. :smithicide:

More like 60. It's an air-cooled 600ish-cc twin. I'm not sure I'd recommend it as a first bike just because you'll cry when you inevitably bang up your Italian stallion but it's hardly uncontrollably thrustworthy.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I personally think sport tourers (while heavy) make good learners. They are usually a bit more comfortable and forgiving since they are designed for longer more relaxing journeys. Lazy to handle though.

But yea, the cheaper the better for a first bike.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
So wait, is 84hp high for a bike then? And do you get published torque numbers usually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Same routine as an SV650, really...more power than ideal, but doable if you've got a good amount of self control and don't do anything stupid/make dumb newbie mistakes, you'll be ok.

84HP isn't high HP for a bike. It's just high HP for a beginner bike. The early 620s make around 60HP rear wheel.

High HP these days is around 180+ RWHP, approaching 200 crank HP.