Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

AwwJeah posted:

don't know what the hell this is plastered on, but it is certainly a vinyl you can purchase!

gently caress yeah, some fella made that on FM 3, is he back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Jarf posted:

I'm gonna feel so dirty using a different number. If I lose tragically I'm blaming the weight distribution of the paint in the number 4.

Do a Zamorano and be '17' but with a tiny '+' between the digits.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Puddin posted:

Has it been said whether we are doing Old Mulsanne or the new version?

Old Mulsanne. poo poo's gonna rule.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Ah, okay, sounds good. Also that sounds interesting about the spec stuff and decal packs. Explains why about 70% of spec miatas I have seen have Toyo on them, though I have still seen a lot that have no Toyo decal, and even some without the Mazda logo, but they might just be racing for shits and giggles, rather in a main spec Miata event.

I think that it is going to be fun to have a spec race every week. Oh, and sorry if I came off like a douche in the last post. Lots of work the past few days, and almost no sleep made me a bit off when it came to social interaction.

Oh, and is there any chance at some point we can run a "24 hours of LeMons" race. (pretty much, cars under a cetain price, including upgrades-cage)

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I love the idea of shitbox endurance racing, but with how easy free upgrades are to get, you'd have a hard time enforcing that. Car cost works, and is a good criteria, but most people are going to have free parts without even trying, and I'm not sure how to handle that one.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.

ANAmal.net posted:

I love the idea of shitbox endurance racing, but with how easy free upgrades are to get, you'd have a hard time enforcing that. Car cost works, and is a good criteria, but most people are going to have free parts without even trying, and I'm not sure how to handle that one.

You could set a lap time on a certain circuit that people have to be close to to be competitive. Say, 3 minutes on Suzuka or something. If you're too much under the specified time, take parts off, if you're over, upgrade your car. Obviously this would be an honour system and require people to not deliberately sandbag laps but it would probably make for good close racing since it would compensate for player skill as well (slower drivers would need better cars to hit the time).

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Can't you just base it off the difference between stock PI and the current PI with mods?

Like make it within xPI of stock. Bonus laps added for a negative difference between modded PI and stock PI. I imagine you could get below stock PI by doing things such as adding weight and whatnot.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
The host is the parts store.

Host sets the price for each upgrade rather than relying on the in game cost. It would take a bit of extra work to do it, but I am sure it can be done.

PyxlWyz
Jan 9, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

I need to upload some pics of my 67, it's a pretty bitchin' Smokey Yunick/Davey Allison themed paintjob. I'm running 4 flats but it is comfy as gently caress to drive.

Also my GT is apparently IBurtIReynoldsI, I forgot how dumb the XBL font is.

I'm running a '67 vette too! I've built three setups for it, grip, speed, and balance, and I think I've finally dialed it in. Here's a shot of me testing the beast - warts and all.

PS. This is my first "official" goon event. I havent joined any of the Goon clubs yet - I need to race w/you guys more.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

jadebullet posted:

I think that it is going to be fun to have a spec race every week.
Thanks! It's been fun to organize so far, and it's been a long, long time since I had a 'regular' racing session in my week. I've missed it.

quote:

Oh, and sorry if I came off like a douche in the last post. Lots of work the past few days, and almost no sleep made me a bit off when it came to social interaction.
I wrote and re-wrote and re-wrote and re-wrote my response. 31 hours of Skyrim over the weekend put an edge on me that I wasn't especially happy with, either - so I totally understand where you're coming from. :whatup:

quote:

Oh, and is there any chance at some point we can run a "24 hours of LeMons" race. (pretty much, cars under a cetain price, including upgrades-cage)
This sounds amazing.

My first thought was "Stock Toyota Aygos + Roll Cage! GO!", but I like the idea of slower qualifying laps earning you upgrades. I just don't know how much engine you'd have to give someone like me or Asmodai to make us reasonably competitive with someone like Logue...

Perhaps I'll shorten the Sprint next week from 60 minutes practice + 60 minutes Spec race to 30/30 for the Spec Race and grab that last 30 minutes for a LeMons race, with your finishing place in that race determining what upgrades you get for the next week?

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Jarf posted:

I'm gonna feel so dirty using a different number. If I lose tragically I'm blaming the weight distribution of the paint in the number 4.

Then race with 08 instead of just 8.

Jabs posted:

I just don't know how much engine you'd have to give someone like me or Asmodai to make us reasonably competitive with someone like Logue...

It's not so much engine power but skill. Logue just does not wreck. Ever. He's a surgeon with a vehicle.

Also, what track are we racing on tomorrow?

Asmodai_00 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 15, 2011

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Changed my mind on the D-Type (sorry Falken), it doesn't have the horsepower for LeMans. Instead I'm going to take my Ferrari 250 GTO

It's yellow now but it'll be red on the day. Lemme just go ahead and update my place in the listing.

Kilonum posted:

Entries up to this point on list now

1. Kilonum (Kilonum) | Ford GT40 MK II | Polychromatic Purple/Black | 82
2. TannhauserGate (calderracrusade) | Chevrolet Corvette C1 | Red/White | 13
3. Torn Quad Jones (zombi3lick3r) | Chevrolet Corvette C2 | Pink/White | 56
4. ANAmal.net (gregchiasson) | Shelby Daytona Coupe | blue | 29
5. Logue (Logue 1) | Dodge Charger Daytona | Orange | 71
6. Jingle Bells (PSBonnett) | Jaguar E-Type |British Racing Green | 84
7. pyxlwyz | Chevrolet Corvette C2 | Turquoise | 67
8. Asmodai_00 (Asmodai 00) | Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona | Grey | 00
9. VikingSkull (|Burt|Reynolds|) | Chevy Corvette C2 | Black/Gold | 7
10. yes we nyan (azunyan) | Ford GT40 MK II | ??? | 48
12. der juicen (Im A GPS Facial) | Ferrari 330 P4 | Metallic Maroon w/ Yellow Stripe | 8
13. Puddin (Puddin23) | Ford GT40 | Light Blue | 23
14. Jarf (Jarf) | Jaguar D-Type | Grey | 4

edit: god damnit now I want to take the D-Type again because it's mad fun and Falken has actually been tuning it what to do D:

edit edit: sod it, I'm sticking with the D-Type. It's way more fun to drive even if it is slower.

If anybody wants to race but doesn't have a car then you're more than welcome to borrow my 250 GTO (helps if you're in SAEG so you can just grab it from the club garage)

Jarf fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 15, 2011

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
I work too late to be able to participate in the SE36 race, but last night for shits I tried to build an M3 to as close to the actual SE36 rules as I could. Does anyone have any idea what the spring rates are on the Spec suspension? I can't believe how much time I spent looking in every possible place online and couldn't find the answer anywhere. I did find that the sway bars are 27mm in the front and 24mm rear.

The kit btw is the H&R E36 RSS Club Sport Coil-over Kit, if anyone out there is handy enough to find the info.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

speedtek posted:

I work too late to be able to participate in the SE36 race, but last night for shits I tried to build an M3 to as close to the actual SE36 rules as I could. Does anyone have any idea what the spring rates are on the Spec suspension? I can't believe how much time I spent looking in every possible place online and couldn't find the answer anywhere. I did find that the sway bars are 27mm in the front and 24mm rear.

The kit btw is the H&R E36 RSS Club Sport Coil-over Kit, if anyone out there is handy enough to find the info.
That's because they're progressive rate springs. The more you compress them, the stiffer they get.

The quickie tuning guide that I used before I went to the full blown spreadsheet is Thor's Tuning Guide. The spring starting place he gives is: (weight of car * % of weight on that axle) * .3828 = starting spring rate.
For a 1000 pound car with 55% of the weight up front:
F: 1000 * 0.55 * 0.3828 = 210
R: 1000 * 0.45 * 0.3828 = 172

Once you've got springs dialed in, you want to set damping. The example he gives is:
F: Bump: (Spring Rate * .00734) Rebound: (Spring Rate * .01445)
R: Bump: (Spring Rate * .00718) Rebound: (Spring Rate * .01436)

On our hypothetical 1000 pound car, then:
FB: 1.54 FR: 3.03
RB: 1.24 RR: 2.48

Drive it around some with telemetry on (preferably over the bumps at Maple Valley) looking for two things:
A) Is it compliant when you hit a bump with only one side of the car? If you're flipping over at MV, your springs are probably too stiff. Soften and recalculate bump and rebound.
B) Does the suspension bottom out over big bumps? If you're bottoming out at MV, your springs are too soft. Stiffen and recalculate bump and rebound.

Once you're happy with how the car deals with bumps, you can dial in some under/oversteer the way you like with the swaybars 0.2 points at a time. Stiffer in the front will give more understeer/push and softer in the front will give you more oversteer/loose.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 16, 2011

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Oh no guys I think I made someone mad :ohdear:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Jabs, are you going to give us a track yet? I don't mean to come off like a jerk, but multiple people have been asking and we haven't heard an answer yet

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Cannot Find Server posted:

So apparently racing in a racing game makes retards who want to drift mad?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Little girly man. :mad:

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards Checkmate

The correct response would be "Oh, well I guess we know what kind of racing is fastest then :smug:"

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

TravBot posted:

The correct response would be "Oh, well I guess we know what kind of racing is fastest then :smug:"

I sent him a single message: "You seem upset".

I would like to point out that I sent that message after he'd sent me all but the last one. His last message was a response to the one I sent him; the rest (as well as the literally well over 100 party invites) were sent without me having said a word to him.

I think this guy takes his games a little too seriously.

Oh, I also sent him a friend request after he sent me his last message. He declined it :(

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day
Just to play nice: Drifting (or rather, Tiff-Needell-style powersliding) is a really badass skill and in the proper forum is a pretty awesome way to express your love of cars.

Counterpoint: So you're telling me you actually spent money, to put a decorative tip on your muffler? Huh.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

T-Square posted:

Jabs, are you going to give us a track yet? I don't mean to come off like a jerk, but multiple people have been asking and we haven't heard an answer yet
That's because I haven't decided yet.

The obvious picks are Road Atlanta or Road America, but I hate them both, so I haven't picked one yet.

I want Watkins Glen with the Boot, M'kay?

Also, I finally got a chance to actually BUILD one of these bastards, and it turns out that "stock" on this car *is* the "street" option on other cars. Here's the updated/corrected Mod Chart.

ALLOWED MODIFICATIONS
All components must remain stock unless listed below.
Intake and Air Filter: Stock - "The stock air box and intake must be retained. The air filter panel is free."
Fuel and Injectors: Stock- "Stock fuel injection for the chassis, model, and engine must be retained."
Ignition: Stock- "Spark plugs are free. Coil packs must remain stock."
Flywheel: Stock- "The stock flywheel must be used without modification."
Exhaust: Stock- "Exhaust system are free after the stock header, which must remain."
Clutch: Stock"The clutch and pressure plate shall have the same weight and have the same size and number of clutch disk(s) as originally equipped for the chassis and model.
Radiator and Oil Cooling: Any - "Any radiator may be used, providing it is mounted in the original location, maintains the same plane as the original core, and requires no body or structure modifications to install." and "Engine oil coolers are free."
Transmission: Race - See gear ratio requirements below. You must pick either transmission A or B.
Differential: Race - Final Drive ratio must be set to 3.15:1, Accel and Decel set to 75/0%.
Shocks: Race - (H&R E36 RSS Club Sport Coilover Kit + BMW CCA Club Racing Fixed Camber Plates required.
Anti-Sway Bars: UUC Sway Barbarians
F: Race
R: Race
Brakes: Stock (OEM)
Wheels: Any 17" EXCEPT[/b]: Buddy Club P1 Racing QF, Dymag 9 Spoke, Holeshot (ALL), Konig After Burner, RS Watanabe Cyclone, TSW Trackstar 4, Volk RE30, Weld Magnum III.
Tires: Sport (BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW2)
Tire size: 245/40R17
Aerodynamic Mods: Stock or Street. No Splitters (Race) allowed). No wings allowed.
Weight Removal: Any but Race (Sport weight reduction clears minimum race weight by 60 pounds, while race is underweight by 270. I'm a fat old man, and even with me in the car, it'd still be ~40 pounds underweight.)
Stiffening: Full cage required.

Real World Alignments Limits - Do Not Exceed
F: Camber -4.5*
R: Any

Race Transmission Gear Ratio Requirements:
Final Drive: 3.15:1 and the Lockup (acceleration) setting shall not be less than 75% (25% lockup)
Gearing Options (Select One)
A) 4.23 / 2.52 / 1.66 / 1.22 / 1.00 / 1.00 (318i/323i/323i)
B) 4.20 / 2.49 / 1.66 / 1.24 / 1.00 / 1.00 (328i/M3)

Your car should weigh at least 2,970 pounds - but I haven't had a chance to test it. Consider that the goal for minimum weight.
Edit: After testing, Race weight reduction takes too much off. Sport Weight Reduction is the cap.

I come up with 527 points with Volk TE37's on.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 16, 2011

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
Looks like I can race in Goon Mans (that's this Saturday, right?)

speedtek (N1CK S0APD1SH) | Ferrari 330 P4 | Red | 15

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hit level 140 tonight. Is anyone else getting close to hitting the level cap?

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

I said come in! posted:

Everybody seemed to lose the will to live after I hit 150.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
108 here but I'm more concerned with owning all cars (and then buying liveries for them) than I am with the level cap.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

General Probe posted:

108 here but I'm more concerned with owning all cars (and then buying liveries for them) than I am with the level cap.

I was going to do this myself but decided to back out because the garage gets to be to cumbersome after you hit 300 cars.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I managed to finish World Tour mode tonight. Then I bought all the F class cars. Here I come, Event List!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I managed to finish World Tour mode tonight. Then I bought all the F class cars. Here I come, Event List!

The event list is what i've been focusing on. It's starting to get dull though; the problem is that the track list in Forza 4 is the games one weak link. There is just not enough variety and the tracks repeat pretty often. I think another 7 - 10 tracks would have done wonders for the event list.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

The event list is what i've been focusing on. It's starting to get dull though; the problem is that the track list in Forza 4 is the games one weak link. There is just not enough variety and the tracks repeat pretty often. I think another 7 - 10 tracks would have done wonders for the event list.

And I agree with you. In this case I will invoke the "we have to finish this game on budget and on schedule" rule. A rule that I think (and ISCI! if I know anything about you I'm willing to bet you agree) GT5 suffered greatly from.
There is only so much game you can make in a certain amount of time. Oops, before I come off the wrong way, I gotta say that I am absolutely not implying that you haven't taken this into account.
When I hit level 50 in FM3 I started to really lose interest. There wasn't much else to do but go faster on the same tracks. And I don't do very well above S Class. I can have fun in R3, but above that I am basically not into it.

More tracks and more modes would have been the best answer to this. Variety. Then you have the real-world costs of development and feature-creep. FM4 is as good as it is (I suspect) because it was managed well. So, things have to be cut.

I look forward to FM5, but not yet. I am loving FM4, and it's been really fun to watch you enjoy it, too. Just wish you didn't, like, seem to rush through. But hey, to each his own.

See ya online!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I just realized I'm approaching 100 online wins out of almost 500 races done, and I'm at 0.4% in season play. I should probably do some single player, but it's not as fun :(

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
As promised, here's the photo contest I've posted on my site.

Click and vote

May the best snap win. Thanks again to everybody who submitted photos.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

I said come in! posted:

I hit 150 tonight, trying to set a clean lap time on the 'ring time attack rival challenge. Finally managed it in the Furai with a time of 7:11 something. First clean lap I've done on the ring in any car.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Jesus, where do you all get these ridiculous amounts of XP from? Most of mine (and cash too, actually) come from Rivals mode, as the single player payouts are downright pitiful.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SirViver posted:

Jesus, where do you all get these ridiculous amounts of XP from? Most of mine (and cash too, actually) come from Rivals mode, as the single player payouts are downright pitiful.

The R3-R1 races are where you get the most. The championships on the far right are the races with the biggest payout.

Hello Spaceman posted:

As promised, here's the photo contest I've posted on my site.

Click and vote

May the best snap win. Thanks again to everybody who submitted photos.

I don't know who to vote for. :ohdear: These are all so good (mines the best, vote for mine, thx tia).

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
They could release Track Days Rivals as a standalone game and I would still play it forever. I just love weaving through slower traffic and cursing their existence when I gently caress up a lap. I literary experience the entire emotional spectrum on a butthole-clenching clean lap.

Also, voted for Sunday Punch because of the three wheel motion and beautiful composition.

Lanth
Jun 15, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Look Ma, two crowns!

I blame it on the current server shenanigans.

Edit: Just for clarification, I don't actually know if this means something, but I am back to one crown again. So it probably doesn't.

Lanth fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 16, 2011

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

DrPain posted:

They could release Track Days Rivals as a standalone game and I would still play it forever. I just love weaving through slower traffic and cursing their existence when I gently caress up a lap. I literary experience the entire emotional spectrum on a butthole-clenching clean lap.

That Track Days rivals event on Nurburgring had me just about throwing my loving controller. And then I finally finished my clean lap, only to have been beaten by a whole two motherfucking seconds by someone else in my club. TWO. loving. SECONDS. That's a single inattentive AI driver holding me up for one cuntfisting corner around a track that takes 8.5+ minutes to get around. And you know what? Every loving time I had to restart that event, it was because a loving SUV WOULD HIT ME. WHY THE gently caress ARE THERE SUV'S ON THE loving RING!? I tiptoed around those assholes so much when I finally ran a clean lap because they hosed me up so many times before, and they still manage to gently caress me up by holding me back just enough so that I can't even brag about my lap.

And then there's a loving Fujimi Track Days event that can go gently caress itself. PRIUS'? REALLY!? :rant:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Hey Jabs, is your series open for new players, or is it closed to keep the points accurate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I'm only level 104 now. Think my highest Affinity is 28 or so. I've slowed down a lot on playing, now that I've beaten the world tour. Spend most of my time building cars for the GTCC and some random races and hotlapping.

• Locked thread