Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

TenaciousTomato posted:

Bought the Rezound today after returning my poo poo Droid Charge. I love the way the phone feels, the screen is great (720p), new version of Sense (imo the best UI out there) is great too. So glad I'm back with an HTC phone, it's like night and day. Oh, and it's fast.

As for better life, I'll let you guys know in a day or two. But people buying phones specifically for long battery life kind of confuse me. All of these phones only last a day maybe a day and a half if you're using it on a mobile network all of the time.

Some phones last only 3 or 4 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Don Lapre posted:

Some phones last only 3 or 4 hours.

:stare: How could something like that even be released.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

TenaciousTomato posted:

The Thunderbolt's original setup was absolutely poo poo with battery. Even the initial released builds were a work-day's worth of usage at best.

The Bionic's release was also delayed purportedly because of utter poo poo battery life, as well.

Verizon wants to get phones on the street. The cell-phone's equivalent of Hollywood's "We'll fix it in post" attitude: Get it out there, and push out updates if/when reviews start getting lovely.

Ratzinc
Aug 14, 2004

MY BALLS ARE THE SIZE OF GRAPEFRUITS
The thunderbolt lasts me a workday. Now what I mean by that is in a strong 4G area, having the screen on for 40minutes the phone will last 9 hrs before giving up the ghost. That's rooted, underclocked when the screen is off no syncing. This phones battery is so lovely, I'm about to skip the nexus and wait for new 4G chipsets.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

TenaciousTomato posted:

ahahahaha, let me know how that LTE HTC phone treats you*

*former thunderbolt owner :negative:

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

TenaciousTomato posted:

Yeah that was pretty much the reason I'm wary about battery life. I don't care about battery life as long as it can get me through the day (I'm not even a super heavy user, but that might change with LTE), but after reading about all the Thunderbolt battery woes, there's no way I'm getting an HTC LTE phone sight unseen.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
My Incredible had a firmware upgrade this morning and now the apps on my SD card aren't showing up. Any idea how to fix this?

EDIT: Nevermind. They showed up about an hour later.

Rusty Shackelford fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 15, 2011

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Rusty Shackelford posted:

My Incredible had a firmware upgrade this morning

Yeah, I was just coming to post this. I can't upgrade, but they do seem to finally be set with 2.3.4 for the Incredible.

mfaley
Jul 30, 2005
Most rape is bad
(whoops, wrong thread.)

mfaley fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 15, 2011

ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison
It's gone. All gone.

ForkPat fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 19, 2011

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

PorkFat posted:

Is there anything in a contract that prevents someone from getting a discounted phone and turning around and selling it? I just bought my own phone off contract. I see that I can get an iPhone 4S 16GB for $150 if I renew my contract and turn around and sell it for 4-5 times as much.

Not from verizon directly. But if you go through a 3rd party like wirefly or amazon they may require you to keep a minimum level of service for x time or you will get a fee. If you already have a smartphone this isn't really a big deal, it only matters if you have a dumbphone.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Don Lapre posted:

Not from verizon directly. But if you go through a 3rd party like wirefly or amazon they may require you to keep a minimum level of service for x time or you will get a fee. If you already have a smartphone this isn't really a big deal, it only matters if you have a dumbphone.

I went to a place that I thought was a corporate Verizon store, but it turned out to be a third party that put the same 180 day requirement that Amazon and Wirefly use to protect their commission. The "Verizon Wireless" sign above the door was huge and "GoWireless Premium Retailer" part of the sign was absolutely tiny.

If I canceled service before 181 days they would charge me $200 or require me to give back the device in lieu of paying.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kitten smoothie posted:

I went to a place that I thought was a corporate Verizon store, but it turned out to be a third party that put the same 180 day requirement that Amazon and Wirefly use to protect their commission. The "Verizon Wireless" sign above the door was huge and "GoWireless Premium Retailer" part of the sign was absolutely tiny.

If I canceled service before 181 days they would charge me $200 or require me to give back the device in lieu of paying.

Right, but if you're happy with your current phone and have an upgrade, you can get the subsidized phone, sell it for 2-3x the subsidized price, and keep using your current phone on the line. Downside is you're renewing your contract without the benefit of new hardware, but you can make a good bit of money on it. Obviously the circumstances have to be just right to make it payoff very much.

ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison
I see it on eBay for up to $800 for the 16GB but mine will be new and sold here or on CL.

ForkPat fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 19, 2011

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Will I be able to take advantage of Verizon extending the return policy through January 9th if I order from Amazon, or is that through the official stores only?

My original Droid just died and I'd prefer to order from amazon since the Razr is $40 cheaper there and I have some amazon credit, but I'd like to be able to switch to the Nexus if it ever actually is released.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Can I use the upgrade of another line on my plan to upgrade my phone? In this case, the primary line on my family plan (my mom) uses a dumb phone and doesn't want to upgrade, but has it several months earlier than the rest of the lines. Can I use it to get some sweet nexus action?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Bob A Feet posted:

Can I use the upgrade of another line on my plan to upgrade my phone? In this case, the primary line on my family plan (my mom) uses a dumb phone and doesn't want to upgrade, but has it several months earlier than the rest of the lines. Can I use it to get some sweet nexus action?

You can do this, but they'll need to confirm it with the account owner or a manager when you go to do the upgrade.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

THF13 posted:

Will I be able to take advantage of Verizon extending the return policy through January 9th if I order from Amazon, or is that through the official stores only?

My original Droid just died and I'd prefer to order from amazon since the Razr is $40 cheaper there and I have some amazon credit, but I'd like to be able to switch to the Nexus if it ever actually is released.

I don't think so, that's Verizon's policy. It's like if the Sony Style store had an extended return policy, that doesn't mean if you buy a PS3 from Best Buy they'll let you return it late.

kitten smoothie posted:

Are you sure you can give it back? Usually you have to pay the fee no matter what.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

WeaselWeaz posted:

Are you sure you can give it back? Usually you have to pay the fee no matter what.

A lot of these places will take the equipment back if it isn't trashed instead, because the actual success rate on collecting these secondary ETFs is pretty low.

Here is how it works for anyone who sells Verizon Wireless who isn't Verizon.

1) Buy the phone at its full price, example.. I pay $619 for a Razr.

2) Sell the phone at a massive loss, will make it back on the rate plan commission.

3) Customer has to keep service for at least 180 days, or Verizon will take the rate plan commission back.

4) Verizon collects ETF from customer regardless, and does not share anything with retailer.

So in other words, Verizon LOVES it when people cancel in less than 6 months, as they got paid service, collect an ETF witch is supposed to exist only to recover the equipment subsidy, then ALSO gets to chargeback that equipment subsidy, so they are out no money at all.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 16, 2011

Trent Lott in 08
Oct 16, 2003

Burn the village, rape & pillage.
In light of Verizon's holiday return policy, I replaced my OG Droid with a Razr yesterday. Now I can finally stop checking the android blogs 2-3 times per day for word on the Gnex.

Also, no more waiting 30+ seconds to open apps and emails and such. If the nexus drops tomorrow, it's still worth the $35 restocking fee to be done with that headache, as far as I'm concerned.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Grabbed the Rezound myself with the same thoughts. My only complaint so far is the proprietary charger connection.

Trent Lott in 08
Oct 16, 2003

Burn the village, rape & pillage.

highme posted:

Grabbed the Rezound myself with the same thoughts. My only complaint so far is the proprietary charger connection.

That's the exact reason I took a pass on the rezound. With all the tales of battery drain on 4g, I wasn't going to get a phone I'm already planning to return that can't make use of the ten bazillion micro USB cables I've got laying around at strategic locations.

Gotta say that the top of the razr was a strange place to put the charging port though.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

highme posted:

Proprietary charger? I thought it was microusb? AKA standardized.

I know the HDMI uses a funky connector thing (as all phones have forever and this is incredibly retarded), but what proprietary charger?

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 16, 2011

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Pretty sure the rezound is just microusb.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
4G just lit up out here. :woop:

highme
May 25, 2001

Don Lapre posted:

Pretty sure the rezound is just microusb.

Since I have it sitting in front of me, I can, assure you it's not. It's HTC's micro USB.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

highme posted:

Since I have it sitting in front of me, I can, assure you it's not. It's HTC's micro USB.

The connector looks different but im pretty sure a regular microusb cable still plugs into it. Just like their old audio+charger plug, you could still use a miniusb cable in it.

highme
May 25, 2001

Mini or micro? The micro cable sitting in front of me on my desk, that I have been using with my DX, does not fit. And I doubt a mini would either.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

highme posted:

Mini or micro? The micro cable sitting in front of me on my desk, that I have been using with my DX, does not fit. And I doubt a mini would either.

If thats true then its just ridiculous they wouldn't ship with a connector that fit a standard microusb.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

highme posted:

Did you try flipping it around? The original Inc used a funky-looking microUSB port that fit a standard microUSB cable, but ALSO fit HTC's proprietary video cable. A quick Google search seems to show that the same is true for the Rezound.

highme
May 25, 2001

Just tried that and it worked, thanks. I had the HTC cable with me so I wasn't too concerned about making the USB cable fit. That makes things much handier.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
obligatory reference.

Highme, this had really thrown me off. World governments had threatened some serious regulations to phone manufacturers if they didn't agree on a cable connection standard. This would probably have been all over the news if they decided to change that poo poo.

Now we can only hope they get their asses in gear for hdmi connections as every company does it differently - but that might be a while.

What's your word/review on the rezound so far, highme?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Currently the Incredible 2, X2, Thunderbolt and Revolution are all at the free with 2 year agreement stage on letstalk.com and Amazon Wireless. I'm thinking the Incredible 2 would be the best value, unless they fixed all of the Thunderbolt issues? It is for my sister, so 4G really isn't a big deal.

Or, do you think that with all the new phones that are in the process of coming out, that the Bionic would be discounted soon? It is already at that halfway discount ($119), but I wonder if it might drop more.

edit: scratch that, the Thunderbolt and Revolution aren't free for a family plan agreement. I guess it is between the X2 and Incredible 2.

mfaley
Jul 30, 2005
Most rape is bad

abagofcheetos posted:

Currently the Incredible 2, X2, Thunderbolt and Revolution are all at the free with 2 year agreement stage on letstalk.com and Amazon Wireless. I'm thinking the Incredible 2 would be the best value, unless they fixed all of the Thunderbolt issues? It is for my sister, so 4G really isn't a big deal.

Or, do you think that with all the new phones that are in the process of coming out, that the Bionic would be discounted soon? It is already at that halfway discount ($119), but I wonder if it might drop more.

edit: scratch that, the Thunderbolt and Revolution aren't free for a family plan agreement. I guess it is between the X2 and Incredible 2.

Go for the Incredible 2. It is a really, really great phone.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I had an X2 and it was so bad I eventually called Verizon and had them send me a Droid 3 (which is a great phone :) ).

So yes, go for the inc 2. Please, for the love of god.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
abagofcheetos, the Incredible 2 is a great phone. Only thing that made me go :wth: with it was that there was a software release that somehow managed to break the alarm clock of all things. So your sister may have one hell of a 3G phone that needs a 3rd party alarm app. Seriously, though, the Inc2 is rock solid.

HTC's micro USB ports do look weird but they're all standard compliant. I sometimes laugh a little when I see USB cables for other phones (like LG ones), that are upside down.

Jury is still out on the Rezound and whether its software (and battery life) are quantum leap over the 'Bolt. Sure hope so: a screen that beautiful is a terrible thing to waste (see Droid Charge).

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks for the opinions. I had an Incredible 1 and liked it, so was going to suggest it anyway, but wanted to be sure. Thanks.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Speaking of the Incredible, I have the original and yesterday morning I had had a notification for the latest system update.

I received the gingerbread update about 3 months ago which as I understand it has since been pulled due to several prevalent bugs/problems with that build. I have been using it with few problems but obviously it would be best to upgrade to the more stable build.

Yesterday when I tried to apply the new upgrade it gave me a message saying that my phone didn't have enough memory (completely false, I have plenty of memory both on the phone and on the SD card, this is one of the bugs with the gingerbread update I received 3 months ago) and that I needed to clear space and try again.

I have restarted the phone, pulled the battery, deleted apps etc etc and I still can't figure out how to get the push notification for the update again. When I go to system updates, it is telling me I am up to date despite the fact that I am running the same build that I have had for the past three months.

Is there a way I can force an OTA upgrade, or perhaps download to my PC and apply it via USB?

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
Do we know when the double data plan deal will end? I'm waiting for the Nexus, but I really don't want to miss out on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boffo Beach Babe!!!
Mar 7, 2003

I know it's probably been discussed a handful of times throughout the life of this thread, but does anyone have any recommendations for a quality dumbphone? Search seems to parse every instance of the word 'dumbphone' and kinda defeats the purpose.

My sister wants to get something new, but doesn't really care for smart phones or the added cost of a data plan. Her only requisites are no flip phone, and have a keyboard.

On Verizon, shes up for an upgrade BUT I'd rather have her hold on to it (and offer it to me, on the family plan) and just buy the handset from some internet retailer and have Verizon activate it with her number - they can do that, right?

• Locked thread