Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

OrganizedEntropy posted:

Another shot of the rear but the tires look pretty much the same with the exception of the Trans Am snowflake wheels.

Those wheels look almost identical to the SVT package wheels on the current GT500

shodanjr_gr posted:

Well the GT500 uses Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar rubber. The widest I'm seeing on tire rack are 315s at R19 or 255s at R20. Which is weird since they are using R20s in the rear and I don't see them going with 255s..

Stock rear rubber on my GT500 is 285/35/20. They aren't the regular F1 Supercar, they're the Supercar G:2
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...romCompare1=yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Those wheels look almost identical to the SVT package wheels on the current GT500

HEY POORS HAVE YOU SEEN MY CAR?!

;)

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

frozenphil posted:

;)

His car isn't a vert. :ssh:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Dick Burglar posted:

His car isn't a vert. :ssh:

Point stands!

I'm just insanely jealous. There's a black/black SVT package GT500 sitting on the dealer's lot outside my living room window. It taunts me. :(

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Stock rear rubber on my GT500 is 285/35/20. They aren't the regular F1 Supercar, they're the Supercar G:2
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...romCompare1=yes

My problem is when I see those wheels all I can think of is this:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

OrganizedEntropy posted:

My problem is when I see those wheels all I can think of is this:

Really, even though those two sets of wheels don't even look alike?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Q_res posted:

Ok now you're just being ridiculous. Yes, the fake Trans Am wheels are inset and the inner design thingy is a pentagram instead of a triangle and they're 10-spoke instead of 8, but still. They're fairly similar, dude.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

The older FRPP wheels are HRE knockoffs anyway. Not saying they don't look good, mind.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Q_res posted:

Not all of the snowflake style wheels for the trans am conversions look exactly like that anyhow but the common design philosophy is that they that snowflake design at the base of the spokes. The different Trans Am conversion kits all have slighty different modern implementations of those wheels anyhow.

I would have preferred another HRE look alike as most of their wheel designs are pretty slick, I'm just bothered that when I look at the new wheels, the first thing I'm reminded of is a distinct design feature from the Trans Am, haha.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Dick Burglar posted:

Ok now you're just being ridiculous. Yes, the fake Trans Am wheels are inset and the inner design thingy is a pentagram instead of a triangle and they're 10-spoke instead of 8, but still. They're fairly similar, dude.

edit: poo poo, I hosed up. I posted that looking at the wheels on the convertible. Yeah, I definitely see it. My bad.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 16, 2011

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Well, now that any interest I had in the Camaro ZL1 is officially gone, I need to see how much Canadians get gouged when the release the pricing on this.

If they can keep MSRP within a couple grand of the 58K CAD that the 2012 costs I think I may have found my next car. Not that I really need all that power but GOD drat is that nice looking

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Lt. Jebus posted:

Well, now that any interest I had in the Camaro ZL1 is officially gone, I need to see how much Canadians get gouged when the release the pricing on this.

If they can keep MSRP within a couple grand of the 58K CAD that the 2012 costs I think I may have found my next car. Not that I really need all that power but GOD drat is that nice looking

Nobody needs that much power but it's loving awesome to have!! I'm abit annoyed that I didn't wait until 2013 as I'd love to have 650 hp for bragging rights (the guys at my office give me enough poo poo about driving a ford). I've been hearing rumors that it could be quite a price leap over the current models (a loaded 2011/2012 SVTPP ended up being roughly 66K CAD) so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Although, I'm betting a guy could get a really screaming deal on a 2012 now. At the dealership where I got mine in Calgary, they had 11 GT500's: 2012's AND 2011's sitting around and we giving out around 8K - 10K off MSRP when I bought.

It would be very easy to bump the 2011/2012's up to the 2013 power levels if a guy is willing to part with his warranty, haha.

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 16, 2011

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

OrganizedEntropy posted:

Nobody needs that much power but it's loving awesome to have!! I'm abit annoyed that I didn't wait until 2013 as I'd love to have 650 hp for bragging rights (the guys at my office give me enough poo poo about driving a ford). I've been hearing rumors that it could be quite a price leap over the current models (a loaded 2011/2012 SVTPP ended up being roughly 66K CAD) so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Although, I'm betting a guy could get a really screaming deal on a 2012 now. At the dealership where I got mine in Calgary, they had 11 GT500's: 2012's AND 2011's sitting around and we giving out around 8K - 10K off MSRP when I bought.

It would be very easy to bump the 2011/2012's up to the 2013 power levels if a guy is willing to part with his warranty, haha.

Around $4k puts an '11/'12 GT500 solidly into the 700rwhp range.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

OrganizedEntropy posted:

While I love the new engine specs and will probably need to upgrade mine next year as a result, I am definitely not a fan of the new rear end. That horizontal body line that runs above the exhaust/fascia gives it a boat hull like look.

2013 Rear:

2012 Rear:

This update almost fixes everything that turned me off about the 2012 rear, the new rear end is hot.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I was always fond of these wheels.

Also:

:love:
I know I said I wasn't a fan of the new front end, but on the Boss it just works.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

SouthLAnd posted:

I was always fond of these wheels.

Also:

:love:
I know I said I wasn't a fan of the new front end, but on the Boss it just works.

I agree, ask anyone here I was pretty critical of the 2012's looks especially those poo poo-tastic decals. The new one is just pure sex. I'd do anything to get my hands on yellow 2013 BOSS.

The previous BOSS always looked more sneaker than car (if that makes sense), the new one fixes it completely.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

frozenphil posted:

Around $4k puts an '11/'12 GT500 solidly into the 700rwhp range.

Just for shits 'n giggles I'm going to start off with a set of headers, computer tune and maybe a pulley this winter. I'm not looking for big power just yet but I absolutely love the sound of a mod engine with long tubes. A simple cat back won't do it justice.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

OrganizedEntropy posted:

Just for shits 'n giggles I'm going to start off with a set of headers, computer tune and maybe a pulley this winter. I'm not looking for big power just yet but I absolutely love the sound of a mod engine with long tubes. A simple cat back won't do it justice.

I'd recommend saving your money.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

I'll cross that bridge once I'm ready for a big leap in power, right now I mostly just want more noise. I've installed LT's on 3 vehicles within 3000 - 5000 km of buying them.

They'll only compliment the addition of a bigger blower down the road.

The problem is that with the LT's, you have to get a computer tune to reduce the risk of running lean based on my conversations with any of the tuners. With my NA GM vehicles, you could just throw the headers on and run them for a year or two before pulling the trigger on a dyno tune but the supercharged engines respond differently.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

OrganizedEntropy posted:

I'll cross that bridge once I'm ready for a big leap in power, right now I mostly just want more noise. I've installed LT's on 3 vehicles within 3000 - 5000 km of buying them.

They'll only compliment the addition of a bigger blower down the road.

The problem is that with the LT's, you have to get a computer tune to reduce the risk of running lean based on my conversations with any of the tuners. With my NA GM vehicles, you could just throw the headers on and run them for a year or two before pulling the trigger on a dyno tune but the supercharged engines respond differently.

A good dyno tune is probably worth more power than headers anyway, so it's not a waste of money; especially for the amount of safety you'll get from knowing your poo poo is running right.

In other news, the new 5.0 King of the Street video is out. I love this competition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXn09-nmSl8

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mod sassinator posted:

Wow I hope they put wider rubber on the rear too. The Camaro ZL1 will have 305 width tires in the rear I think.

Also apparently the 2013 GT will have 420hp stock--nice little bump in power. With so much horsepower coming from pony cars I have to wonder if the standard and Z06 Corvette are too weak these days.

Well they're finally getting to putting out the C7 (Jalopnik has the artist's conception of the actual car which they can't show photos of yet), so I have to assume we'll see some bumps in HP there too.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I know it's a taboo subject in muscle car circles, but with that much power these cars could benefit from a good AWD system.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

blargle posted:

I know it's a taboo subject in muscle car circles, but with that much power these cars could benefit from a good AWD system.

On the street, maybe, but anyone running over 700hp isn't really concerned with their performance on the street.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You know the f150 has a good 4wd system they could squeeze under there. Everything else comes from an f150. The front end would be about 10 inches higher but it would just make it look like a retro gasser.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
How about they put the supercharged 5.8 liter engine in the Raptor and call it good.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

How about they put the supercharged 5.8 liter engine in the Raptor and call it good.

6.2L or bust

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

blargle posted:

There would be bits of it all over the road quite quickly, wheelspin is a much better way to get rid of excess power.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

blargle posted:

Add the weight of AWD on to to the GT500 and you end up with a car that's a lot heavier and probably gets hit with a gas guzzler tax on top of making the die hards angry. You're better of using computer magic to get what you want in terms of traction from RWD.

I think AWD is dead everywhere outside the high end sports car and truck markets.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

I know of at least one company working on a supercharger for the 6.2L. Ford already has one from some big truck they make.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

kronix posted:

I think AWD is dead everywhere outside the high end sports car and truck markets.

And the boring people-transport appliances that are all getting an AWD option now because "WOW MORE TRACTION!!!!!"

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Dick Burglar posted:

And the boring people-transport appliances that are all getting an AWD option now because "WOW MORE TRACTION!!!!!"

AWD in a driving appliance is extremely useful when it snows. It's why so many people buy non-turbo Subarus.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

frozenphil posted:

;)

Phil, if I wanted to make all you plebes jealous, I would have posted a better picture than a dealership stock photo.

Like this one:

I kid, I kid. I was just pointing out the similarities between wheels...

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 18, 2011

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

kronix posted:

That's all well-and-good, but the truth is that AWD is becoming ubiquitous. There are so many vehicles now that offer AWD as an option, and a lot of people are opting for it. I can foresee manufactures starting to look at bringing AWD options down from their higher-end offerings to their small cars.

Just about every crossover offers it, half of Ford sedans offer it, three-out-of-four Lexus sedans offer it, Infiniti offers it throughout their lineup, and the list goes on.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

sanchez posted:

AWD in a driving appliance is extremely useful when it snows. It's why so many people buy non-turbo Subarus.

I was pointing out that AWD was not "dead everywhere outside the high end sports car and truck markets."

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
What are the GT500 rims? I love that style but I only know of HRE and VMR that make them. I want to find some lightweight ones in 17" for the S200.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Muffinpox posted:

What are the GT500 rims? I love that style but I only know of HRE and VMR that make them. I want to find some lightweight ones in 17" for the S200.

True Forged Chicanes look similar and they'll make em however you want em.
The Mustang RTR wheels are also similar, but I'm not sure if they offer 17s; I'm sure someone has made knock offs in that size.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
These 2013 Mustangs are drat awesome. Makes waiting for the 2014 one that much harder.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Dick Burglar posted:

I was pointing out that AWD was not "dead everywhere outside the high end sports car and truck markets."

Maybe it's not dead today but you better believe the new standards for mileage in the next 10 years will all but kill it dead outside of the markets I specified. You can't expect to sell any car in volume anymore that gets < 30 mpg because you're going to have to sell a lot hybrids and electrics to drag up averages. Some car companies can and will pay fines but they'll have to charge more as a result. BMW already pays but they pass on that cost to you.

You're more likely to see a hybrid/electric Mustang than a traditional AWD version.

Electric motors up front like the porsche hybrid race car don't count.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The obvious solution is cylinder deactivation for EPA testing. I think 1/8 of 650hp is enough to move the car around. That should equal 80 mpg 8 times the v8!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Elephanthead posted:

The obvious solution is cylinder deactivation for EPA testing. I think 1/8 of 650hp is enough to move the car around. That should equal 80 mpg 8 times the v8!

I look forward to 1->5 skip shifts.