Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We got the tiniest bit of ice this morning and I was nearly slammed into by 3 cars on the way to the interstate so I've decided that I don't want to drive the MS6 this winter. So now I'm actively looking for a reliable winter car. I'm thinking either an old Protege or Focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Rhyno posted:

We got the tiniest bit of ice this morning and I was nearly slammed into by 3 cars on the way to the interstate so I've decided that I don't want to drive the MS6 this winter. So now I'm actively looking for a reliable winter car. I'm thinking either an old Protege or Focus.

If all you care about is moving around just get a civic, it should be cheaper than both.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodoze posted:

If all you care about is moving around just get a civic, it should be cheaper than both.

The civic market around here is retarded, even a rusted shitbox goes for $2K or more. I found a focus for a grand that looks solid enough to last til march.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The civic market around here is retarded, even a rusted shitbox goes for $2K or more. I found a focus for a grand that looks solid enough to last til march.

You've got an AWD car and you don't want to drive it in winter? Why not get a set of winter wheels and tires? My 'speed3 loves the snow.

General Altimax Arctics on Gen1 17" Snowflakes

Click here for the full 1296x968 image.

Click here for the full 598x800 image.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Absolutely the tires make all the difference.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SynMoo posted:

You've got an AWD car and you don't want to drive it in winter? Why not get a set of winter wheels and tires? My 'speed3 loves the snow.

I'm afraid! I love it so much I'm terrified I'll hurt it!

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I'm afraid! I love it so much I'm terrified I'll hurt it!

Watch this, find some wheels on craigslist and throw some snow tires on there. You won't be sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlYEMH10Z4s

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SynMoo posted:

Watch this, find some wheels on craigslist and throw some snow tires on there. You won't be sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlYEMH10Z4s

I had a line on a set of wheels for cheap last week, which tires should I buy as I've never bought winter tires before?

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

I have experience with the General Altimax Arctics and the Dunlop Graspic DS-3s. I like the Generals better for actual winter performance, but the DS-3s handle better in dry weather. Blizzacks are the top brand, but they're pricy. I just picked up a set of Continental ExtremeWinterContact for MY GIRLFRIEND's Civic for her birthday so I'll have trip report for those soon.

Also, don't expect the same level of handling and performance out of your winter tires that you're getting out of your summers. The tread is going to be a lot more flexible and the car won't feel as stable at speeds over 80. You shouldn't be taking winter tires over 80mph anyway.

I love having a separate summer and winter setup. I can get summer only tires with better handling instead of dealing with mediocre all seasons.

What wheels were you looking at? You can get steelies from TireRack for a reasonable price.

I got the 17" Snowflakes from a Gen1 Mazda3 last year WITH TPMS for $250. Talk about a killer deal. Got the tires from TireRack and had a local place mount them. It really is worth it if you see significant snow.

e: If you get both wheels and tires are TireRack, they'll RoadForce mount and balance them for you. Then you can just toss them on yourself without having to pay someone for mounting and balancing.

SynMoo fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 2, 2011

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SynMoo posted:

I have experience with the General Altimax Arctics and the Dunlop Graspic DS-3s. I like the Generals better for actual winter performance, but the DS-3s handle better in dry weather. Blizzacks are the top brand, but they're pricy. I just picked up a set of Continental ExtremeWinterContact for MY GIRLFRIEND's Civic for her birthday so I'll have trip report for those soon.

Also, don't expect the same level of handling and performance out of your winter tires that you're getting out of your summers. The tread is going to be a lot more flexible and the car won't feel as stable at speeds over 80. You shouldn't be taking winter tires over 80mph anyway.

I love having a separate summer and winter setup. I can get summer only tires with better handling instead of dealing with mediocre all seasons.

What wheels were you looking at? You can get steelies from TireRack for a reasonable price.

I got the 17" Snowflakes from a Gen1 Mazda3 last year WITH TPMS for $250. Talk about a killer deal. Got the tires from TireRack and had a local place mount them. It really is worth it if you see significant snow.

e: If you get both wheels and tires are TireRack, they'll RoadForce mount and balance them for you. Then you can just toss them on yourself without having to pay someone for mounting and balancing.

A guy on Mazdas247 had set of mint factory Speed6 wheels for $400 so I guess in the end that's cheaper than buying a beater for winter. Just out of curiosity, should I look into having the underbody of the car coated to protect against salt? I did it for my Jeep years ago.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

A guy on Mazdas247 had set of mint factory Speed6 wheels for $400 so I guess in the end that's cheaper than buying a beater for winter. Just out of curiosity, should I look into having the underbody of the car coated to protect against salt? I did it for my Jeep years ago.

Just about anything worth worrying about under there has a rubber coating on it already. Just go to a car wash with good underbody sprayers every so often after driving on salty roads.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SynMoo posted:

Just about anything worth worrying about under there has a rubber coating on it already. Just go to a car wash with good underbody sprayers every so often after driving on salty roads.

Tirerack does not have steelies available for the MS6 according to their site so I might just stick with my plan to buy a second set of stockers. We shall see, I'm looking at a $1000 Focus tomorrow night that already has winter tires on it. If I go that route I can park the MS6 and tinker with it all winter.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Rhyno posted:

Tirerack does not have steelies available for the MS6 according to their site so I might just stick with my plan to buy a second set of stockers. We shall see, I'm looking at a $1000 Focus tomorrow night that already has winter tires on it. If I go that route I can park the MS6 and tinker with it all winter.

I got 16" steelies for my 2011 MS3 with 205/60/16 General Altimax tires mounted, balanced and shipped from tire rack for $690.

edit: Apparently the MS6 can't fit 16" wheels, guess the brakes are larger?

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 3, 2011

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brain Issues posted:

I got 16" steelies for my 2011 MS3 with 205/60/16 General Altimax tires mounted, balanced and shipped from tire rack for $690.

edit: Apparently the MS6 can't fit 16" wheels, guess the brakes are larger?

Yup, bigass brakes.

You know, I talk about trading up to a Focus ST and then I look at the MS6 and it just screams at me to keep it.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Rhyno posted:

Yup, bigass brakes.

You know, I talk about trading up to a Focus ST and then I look at the MS6 and it just screams at me to keep it.

You will definitely miss the AWD of the Speed6 if you get a Focus ST, but besides that, they're both awesome cars and I'd love either.

I thought I'd eventually come around to be OK with the MS3's FWD, but nope, 9 months later I still miss the RWD of my old Miata.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Yup, bigass brakes.

Try to find a set of 17" Mazda3/6 wheels.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brain Issues posted:

You will definitely miss the AWD of the Speed6 if you get a Focus ST, but besides that, they're both awesome cars and I'd love either.

I thought I'd eventually come around to be OK with the MS3's FWD, but nope, 9 months later I still miss the RWD of my old Miata.

I've wanted a Focus RS since they first introduced them and I see the ST as the closest I'll ever get to that. But then Ford dropped the Fiesta ST concept which has more HP than the Focus ST so who knows what car I'll be lusting after next year.

I missed the RWD of my Jeep which is why I bought that big drat Lightning (which I love but I really don't need).

SynMoo posted:

Try to find a set of 17" Mazda3/6 wheels.

I messaged the guy on M247 about his wheels but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. I figure if I can get him to drop another $50 off his asking price it'll be worth it to pick up the set of stockers.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
So I just got my UOA back and they said lead and tin were up a bunch and could mean bearing wear but it's too early to tell. Do you think my mods could be a cause of this? Cobb's SRI, TIP, CPE HFFP and Cobb downpipe plus AP Stage 2+93 is what I'm running with.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Those levels are up a bunch since when? How long are your change intervals? How long have you had the mods? Is this he first UOA since the mods?

Ultimately, more power equals more wear.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SynMoo posted:

How long are your change intervals?

This, plus what grade oil?

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

SynMoo posted:

Those levels are up a bunch since when? How long are your change intervals? How long have you had the mods? Is this he first UOA since the mods?

Ultimately, more power equals more wear.

Levels are up since last UOA, which was last oil change which was around April I think. This is my first UOA with all mods. Previous UOA had intake, inlet and AP Stage 1+93. Downpipe and HFFP have been on approximately 1-1500 miles out of the 6800 change interval. This was considerably longer of a time that I wanted but work sent me out of town last minute and I added 700 miles to it. I typically change it around 5k because Blackstone said I can run 5-7k.

IOwnCalculus posted:

This, plus what grade oil?

Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So owning two Mazdas would just be baiting the curse right? I'd be stupid to trade my truck for a Miata right?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Rhyno posted:

So owning two Mazdas would just be baiting the curse right? I'd be stupid to trade my truck for a Miata right?

No way

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

For a long time I had my MS3 and my NB parked in my driveway together, no problems.

Hell, technically I still own the Miata because my mother-in-law has never retitled it :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I went and looked at, it was dented, scratched and had a hole in the top. Ran like crap and pulled hard to the left. He asked if I'd brought the title to my truck and I just laughed. I think my wheels and tires are worth more than his whole car.

But I do have to say I like the size of the car, if I could find the right one I might be open to a downsize from the Lightning.

Edit: Update, I have an offer on the truck from a friend for what I paid, now on the prowl for Miatas.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 10, 2011

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Test video with my headrest mount/gopro for my upcoming track day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvTNhlYe1zQ

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

opengl128 posted:

Test video with my headrest mount/gopro for my upcoming track day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvTNhlYe1zQ

That is really cool! I want to get a GoPro pretty bad. It seems like you don't get too much field of view with it mounted there though. It is a lot of dead cabin space, and you don't get too much of a feel for where the lines are if you want to see where you are hitting the apexes and whatnot.

SiB
May 6, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I own 5. The curse is not bad when you have a small fleet. The newest one has taken out a deer, so new hood and bumper.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Random question: What's everyone use for coolant? I'm going to swap mine out when I do the throttle body since I'm nearing 100k.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That is really cool! I want to get a GoPro pretty bad. It seems like you don't get too much field of view with it mounted there though. It is a lot of dead cabin space, and you don't get too much of a feel for where the lines are if you want to see where you are hitting the apexes and whatnot.

Yeah its about as wide as I'd want it, I did want to have the steering wheel and shifter in frame though. There is a wider FOV setting, but that is way too much fisheye. The new GoPro2 has even more FOV options, as I understand it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
So I changed my oil on Sunday, and I remembered to take a photo of the inside surface of the front driver side brake rotor. One or two oil changes ago I had noticed a groove in the disk but I was too lazy/busy to think much about it.

Here are three photos I took. The first is of the passenger side rotor, for reference. You'll notice a lip forming around the outer circumference of the disk, but that's normal. The second two are of the driver side rotor. You should be able to see a channel or groove a few millimeters from the edge of the disk.

Front passenger side rotor, inner surface.

(Click for big)

Front driver side rotor, inner surface.

(Click for big)

(Click for big)

Is this anything to be concerned about? It's an 09 MS3 with 23000 miles so I'm still under the bumper-to-bumper warranty. Could I maybe get a new pair of pads and rotors from the dealership/Mazda? I need to stop by the dealership before my next oil change to pick up some more crush washers and another pack of filters.

The most I've done with the car is a handful of autocrosses; I've never taken it on a track. So, I haven't done anything to cause any real excessive wear on my brakes.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 15, 2011

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maybe it's just because I'm looking at this on a smartphone but I don't see anything to worry about here.

Also, since brakes are a wear item, they aren't covered 100% by the warranty... At about the same mileage my 07 had a nasty pulse going on and the dealer gave me a discount on having the rotors turned, but it wasn't free. I ended up replacing the front pads and rotors not long after the warranty ended.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

hellooooo expensive new hobby

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

IOwnCalculus posted:

Maybe it's just because I'm looking at this on a smartphone but I don't see anything to worry about here.

Seconding this...all I'm seeing is a picture of normal wear on a rotor.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Here's one of my sessions from this past weekend at NJMP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52TvP1-KYic

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jealous. How much did that set you back?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Jealous. How much did that set you back?

$225 for the day, 7 15 minute sessions.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

opengl128 posted:

$225 for the day, 7 15 minute sessions.

That seems like a good price for that much time, and it looks really fun too.

Oh also we have a couple skyactiv 3's at work now. I'll take some pictures tomorrow if I remember, and see if they will let me take one out for a ride

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 17, 2011

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Nodoze posted:

Oh also we have a couple skyactiv 3's at work now. I'll take some pictures tomorrow if I remember, and see if they will let me take one out for a ride

Cool! Look forward to your opinion on it if you able to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Nodoze posted:

It was a total freaking blast. My car was much more capable than I was expecting on the track. I'm definitely doing a few more days next year.