Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
If you have to go 100% online (like me), try to get it at an establish, public institution. State schools should offer online MBAs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Orgasmo posted:

If you have to go 100% online (like me), try to get it at an establish, public institution. State schools should offer online MBAs.

That's the same type of advice I've given to others regarding online education but I haven't had much luck finding brick and mortar programs that are 100% (or near to it) online. Many that I looked at required at least a semester on campus which just plain isn't doable with my schedule.

From what I can tell, WGU exists in this weird gray area of online only and private (which throws up big flashing warning signs) but is also a non-profit which puts them partially in the ring with more traditional schools.

Cost is also an issue. My employer has a hard limit on tuition reimbursement that doesn't even come close to covering many of the MBA programs I've looked at and the degree isn't important enough in my hopeful career path to justify going into heavy debt to obtain.

Going back to WGU's reputation - I'm trying really hard to find a reason not to go there but I'm not having much luck. UofP, Devry, ITT, etc all have really vocal "this place is crap" reviews all over the place but I'm having a hard time finding the same for WGU.

megazord
Jul 16, 2001

TouchyMcFeely posted:

UofP, Devry, ITT, etc all have really vocal "this place is crap" reviews all over the place

What are the selling points these institutions throw at prospective students?

I get the following:

- It's cheap
- It's convenient

But I've heard from former students that they say all kinds of stuff to legitimize their programs like "we're academically equivalent to an Ivy League school" (lol).

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
The main selling point is that they accept everyone.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

megazord posted:

What are the selling points these institutions throw at prospective students?

I get the following:

- It's cheap
- It's convenient

But I've heard from former students that they say all kinds of stuff to legitimize their programs like "we're academically equivalent to an Ivy League school" (lol).
I don't think they're actually that cheap, at least compared to most state schools. I think the main draw is that they're convenient (it's amazing how flexible you can be when you don't actually have to give someone a high-quality education), they accept everyone, and they bill themselves as being more "practical" than regular colleges, with a focus on job skills and placement. Of course, the irony is that since the education quality is suspect, they're actually worse for job placement overall, even if they are geared more toward practical skills.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
What's this thread's opinion regarding GRE vs GMAT for bschool? Is one easier than the other? Is the GRE as credible as the GMAT yet, considering both are revised/revising?

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

There we go - these are the kinds of responses I was hoping to get.

Even as a perspective student I wouldn't pretend for a minute that the quality of education at WGU would be on the same level as a top level Business School but I'm not sure that it's fair to lump them together with the degree mills either. Part of the problem is that I haven't seen WGU ranked against regular schools. It's shown up in some lists of "Top 10 Online Schools" but that doesn't mean much considering their competition.

Cost wise WGU's MBA program would cost around $13,000 in tuition. My other in state options are University of Utah at $46,800 or Utah State at around $21,700 but neither offers online versions of their MBAs so they're both out.

I'm still open to suggestions but I'm interested in getting an MBA more to put another check in a box more than I actually care about the degree. I know many people posting in here are pursuing MBAs because they're critical to their intended path but I'm just not in that position.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

TouchyMcFeely posted:

That's the same type of advice I've given to others regarding online education but I haven't had much luck finding brick and mortar programs that are 100% (or near to it) online. Many that I looked at required at least a semester on campus which just plain isn't doable with my schedule.

From what I can tell, WGU exists in this weird gray area of online only and private (which throws up big flashing warning signs) but is also a non-profit which puts them partially in the ring with more traditional schools.

Cost is also an issue. My employer has a hard limit on tuition reimbursement that doesn't even come close to covering many of the MBA programs I've looked at and the degree isn't important enough in my hopeful career path to justify going into heavy debt to obtain.

Going back to WGU's reputation - I'm trying really hard to find a reason not to go there but I'm not having much luck. UofP, Devry, ITT, etc all have really vocal "this place is crap" reviews all over the place but I'm having a hard time finding the same for WGU.

Check with my school, FIU (Florida International U.). We have students from all over the country and there is no in-class semester requirement. We also have a bangin' football team (for how young the program is).

^^^ with scholarship, FIU is going to run you around $35k. $45 without. If $10k is your budget and you've come to terms with the level of education you would receive, then WGU seems to be your best option. If it fools your employer into giving you a raise or promotion and they pay for school, then why the hell not. It's not the best use of your team but your options are more limited than some.

Suave Fedora fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 28, 2011

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Thanks for the recommendation Orgasmo. FIU looks like a much better and safer option than WGU. I'll have to talk to one of their admissions people regarding how stringent they are with the 18 month time frame but my initial impression is good.

Just to be clear, I'm not looking to pull the wool over anyones eyes here. WGU was the best choice of the schools I could find that met my needs. The brick and mortar schools that I could find that had any form of online program started in the mid-$40k range and had entrance requirements that I don't care to meet.

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod

Don Wrigley posted:

Got my application in for NYU's part time program about a week ago. As a working professional in NYC who is having his employer pay his way, my choices are somewhat limited, and I wasn't too interested in Fordham:

750 GMAT, 3.0 GPA (from 10 years ago), VP of Technology at a large, recognizable investment bank...keep your fingers crossed for me, hopefully I'll be starting in January!

Can't believe it came so quickly, but just got my acceptance letter online last night. Looks like I'll be starting in January.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Don Wrigley posted:

Can't believe it came so quickly, but just got my acceptance letter online last night. Looks like I'll be starting in January.
All things considered, that's a pretty drat good application.

Can I ask how like being VP of Tech, btw? I'd message you but it looks like you have that disabled.

MassiveTrauma
Mar 31, 2010
How is the PMP certification viewed? I plan on pursuing an MBA in a couple of years, but I may also seek the PMP cert sooner. Is this something that may impact (positively or negatively) on my application?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

MassiveTrauma posted:

but I may also seek the PMP cert sooner
where?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Hate to double post, but I probably worry too much about these things.

Anyone have any experience with resume editing/review services?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Small White Dragon posted:

Hate to double post, but I probably worry too much about these things.

Anyone have any experience with resume editing/review services?

the SA guy did an amazing job on mine. I went from zero call backs to like an interview every other week until I got my current job. One interviewer straight up told me that they had a ton of people that were more qualified, but my resume was so well done that they decided to give me a shot.

...I think my ROI for his service is probably the most profitable thing I've ever done.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Xguard86 posted:

the SA guy did an amazing job on mine. I went from zero call backs to like an interview every other week until I got my current job. One interviewer straight up told me that they had a ton of people that were more qualified, but my resume was so well done that they decided to give me a shot.

...I think my ROI for his service is probably the most profitable thing I've ever done.

Same here. Best ~$80 I ever spent.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Xguard86 posted:

Who is this?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Who is this?

Think they're talking about this:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2444033

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Yes its ResumetoInterview. Sorry, I thought I had the company name in there somewhere.

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod

All things considered, that's a pretty drat good application.

Can I ask how like being VP of Tech, btw? I'd message you but it looks like you have that disabled.

How do I like it? It's great...but that's based on where I am now. I've worked on Wall Street in software development for 10 years at a couple of different banks. What makes it great where I currently am is the investment that goes into the technology department, which allows us to keep very up to date on new technologies as well as create robust, proprietary software that meets our needs better than what's out there on the market/as open source (for example, a proprietary Java ORM framework built from the ground up with auditing in mind, as you can imagine is very important in the financial services industry, or a Java collections framework both optimized for speed and performance as well as implementing smalltalk-like iteration patterns).

As a VP of technology, and hopefully more so later on as a Managing Director, I have the opportunity to help choose the technological direction of the firm--everything from what type of open source technologies we should utilize, to what type of technologies we should make the investment in building ourselves. This is not even confined to any one line of business; the technology departments are well funded everywhere you go; investment banking, asset management, trading, and even compliance.

Would this be the case at my last job? Probably not, as at many places that are not software companies don't make the proper investments in technology, seeing it as nothing but a money pit (short term profits!) and having their senior managers working on maintaining awful legacy systems. Bit of a ramble here, point is, working in technology is great, particularly management, if the proper investments are made.

Though I'd love to finish off my MBA and start trying to apply as a management consultant...my wife would kill(divorce) me if I had to travel that much :)

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Ugh. GMAT in just a few hours. Completely under-prepared. Barely studied in the past two weeks leading up to it. My life sucks.

Gettin' a beer once it's over.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

19 o'clock posted:

Ugh. GMAT in just a few hours. Completely under-prepared. Barely studied in the past two weeks leading up to it. My life sucks.

Gettin' a beer once it's over.

You'll do fine. Good luck.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Tyro posted:

You'll do fine. Good luck.

Didn't do so fine. 560 prelim score. 51st percentile. That sure was a sweet way to spend 250 bucks. Guess I'll study up hard and take it over again. Blah.

At least I get to chill out and do it right next time.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

19 o'clock posted:

Didn't do so fine. 560 prelim score. 51st percentile. That sure was a sweet way to spend 250 bucks. Guess I'll study up hard and take it over again. Blah.

Ouch. At least hopefully you know what the areas you need to focus on are, and the pacing of the test. I recommend the Manhattan Review study guide series. They're expensive but excellent and you can recoup most of the costs by selling them on craigslist or ebay.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

19 o'clock posted:

What school are you trying to get into?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Cheesemaster200 posted:

What school are you trying to get into?

I would love to go to UC Boulder to pursue my PhD in Accountancy, but I gotta really hit the mid 600's before I even stand a chance at being considered.

I got my rear end handed to me. I had time scheduled to study, but was put into a recurring singing gig recently which has taken up lots of time. I'll be sure to not take it so lightly next time.

I crushed the CPA Exam my first time through, I know I have it in me. I'll do better next time.

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Where was that save the world button again?
This is still over a year off, but I plan everything way to much so I'm looking for opinions on which route to choose.

I'm an Accounting Major who will be going for my Master's (which has a built in CPA review). Now my current school (nowhere near the top anything) has a program where if you end up with above a 3.5 GPA (I should end up in the 3.8 range) you don't need the GMAT/GRE to get into the grad business school. I'll probably take them anyway just to see how I do, but would it be largely beneficial to apply to a top school or is the MBA in Accounting from a top school not as meaningful since the CPA is the exam that matters?

flyingfoggy
Jun 3, 2006

My fellow Obamas...

himurak posted:

This is still over a year off, but I plan everything way to much so I'm looking for opinions on which route to choose.

I'm an Accounting Major who will be going for my Master's (which has a built in CPA review). Now my current school (nowhere near the top anything) has a program where if you end up with above a 3.5 GPA (I should end up in the 3.8 range) you don't need the GMAT/GRE to get into the grad business school. I'll probably take them anyway just to see how I do, but would it be largely beneficial to apply to a top school or is the MBA in Accounting from a top school not as meaningful since the CPA is the exam that matters?

If you are just going for your 150 credits to become a CPA go for a master's in accounting. The program rank matters a tiny bit(more national recruiting and I've heard some banking/consulting firms take a few people from UT Austin and Illinois for example), but the big 4 recruit at a ton of different schools so it doesn't matter too much. If you already have internships/offers then it probably doesn't matter much at all unless you want to be recruited in a different region I suppose.

If you want to do an MBA - do that separately when you have a few years of work experience and want to transition out of accounting. Don't do an MBA in accounting right out of undergrad unless you are totally 100% sure you don't ever want to go back to get an MBA later on in life.

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Where was that save the world button again?

flyingfoggy posted:

If you are just going for your 150 credits to become a CPA go for a master's in accounting. The program rank matters a tiny bit(more national recruiting and I've heard some banking/consulting firms take a few people from UT Austin and Illinois for example), but the big 4 recruit at a ton of different schools so it doesn't matter too much. If you already have internships/offers then it probably doesn't matter much at all unless you want to be recruited in a different region I suppose.

If you want to do an MBA - do that separately when you have a few years of work experience and want to transition out of accounting. Don't do an MBA in accounting right out of undergrad unless you are totally 100% sure you don't ever want to go back to get an MBA later on in life.

I guess I should've clarified. My current school only offers a MBA in Accounting and no Master's in Accounting. At least that's the way I'm reading it. It's almost like they incorporate the MBA in all their business school Grad degrees.

flyingfoggy
Jun 3, 2006

My fellow Obamas...

himurak posted:

I guess I should've clarified. My current school only offers a MBA in Accounting and no Master's in Accounting. At least that's the way I'm reading it. It's almost like they incorporate the MBA in all their business school Grad degrees.

Oh ok. I guess it depends on recruiting - does the big 4 (or smaller firms if you want that) recruit at your school? If so and you think you think you have a chance getting an internship/full-time with them then it might be worth looking into just doing 150 credits of undergrad over committing to a 2 year MBA at a low-ranked school straight out of undergrad. Alternatively if the Big 4 doesn't have much of a presence at your school then I would probably apply to some masters programs at other schools. I would only do the MBA in accounting if it is a great deal and you are 100% sure that you will not want an MBA to career switch down the line. If you are in NJ like your profile says then there are definitely plenty of programs around in NYC/NJ/Philly (Rutgers, Temple, CUNY, Drexel, etc).

BLACK AIDS ORGY
Dec 10, 2010
I've frequented this thread quite a bit but haven't seen this topic touched on much and was wondering if I could get some advice on personal statements for grad school.

The school I'm applying to wants a personal statement that shows your leadership and conflict solving abilities, short term and long term purposes of getting an MBA, and why you chose the particular school.

I have held a ton of leadership positions in undergrad in extracurricular activities, got some awards, etc but I haven't had many leadership or conflict solving positions in my short career. I also suffer from a serious spinal disease that I fight everyday and has become a very big part of my life.

My question is, should I just focus on my leadership abilities and awards in undergrad then maybe bring a few light stories that I have from my early career in?

Is it ok to mention my on-going battle with a debilitating disease (someone told me if I did it right and used it as a "motivating factor" in my life this could come off well)

and most importantly, how did you guys open your essays/personal statements since this is the most important part of the essay and meant to command the attention of the admissions staff.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

BLACK AIDS ORGY posted:

Is it ok to mention my on-going battle with a debilitating disease (someone told me if I did it right and used it as a "motivating factor" in my life this could come off well)

and most importantly, how did you guys open your essays/personal statements since this is the most important part of the essay and meant to command the attention of the admissions staff.

I think I began my essay about what inspired me to initially enroll into the program. My first paragraph only mentioned my sources of inspiration: wanting to make lemonade out of a lemon-y economy, being inspired by my father's sacrifice of working on the weekends in order to give us a better life, and wanting to contribute more towards the success of the company/having more of an impact on organizational strategy and marketplace success. I'll look tonight at home in case I'm missing anything.

I agree with your friend that it would be OK to mention your condition (it may even help you) as long as it is done tastefully. Recruiters are interested in a diversified field of candidates so your unique perspective is a plus.

Suave Fedora fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 16, 2011

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Just got out of my interview for a position in our Strategy group. It went very well. He wants to see some examples of work I've done during the program, so a word of advice: save everything, even unsexy ratio analyses. If I land this job between now and December, I'll be high-steppin' it all the way to grab my diploma.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Is this the set of Manhattan GMAT books that is currently recommended?

http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-GMAT-Strategy-Guides-Fourth/dp/098417804X/

$100 seems really cheap for 8 books, and the publication date is 2009 :ohdear:

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I'm not sure if that's the most current edition but yeah those are the guides I used. That price seems reasonable I think they are around $150 from Manhattan.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Speaking of Manhattan GMAT, there's this MBA planning webinar later this month that might be either interesting or a transparently boring upsell.

http://www.manhattangmat.com/EventShow.cfm?EID=3&eventID=8564

quote:

Applying to B-School in 2012? 2013? It's not too early to start planning!

By taking action now, you can dramatically improve your chances of gaining admission to a top-MBA program in the coming years. Indeed, it is never too soon (and certainly not too late) to take several crucial steps to shape your MBA candidacy. Join mbaMission Founder, Jeremy Shinewald, as he leads prospective applicants through a Long Term Planning Seminar.
Topics of discussion will include:
Creating your 10 month (and beyond) timeline
Maximizing the Impact of Community Activities
Accelerating Personal Goals
Building an Alternative Transcript
Taking and Retaking the GMAT
Making the Most of Campus Visits
Understanding the differences between MBA programs
More…
All attendees of this exclusive event will receive:

$100 off any 9-session ManhattanGMAT course
Free access to a ManhattanGMAT computer adaptive practice exam
Free half hour consultation with an mbaMission consultant

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Where can I find old GMATs to take for practice? I just started studying last week and want to take it in early January, but I want to take a practice one first to see where I'm at. I'm studying using the Manhattan Review set of books.

Also, is an early January GMAT date early enough for Round 3 of Fall 2012? I decided to apply to b-school a bit late so Round 3 is the earliest I could apply given the fact that I still need to take my GMAT.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pron on VHS posted:

Where can I find old GMATs to take for practice? I just started studying last week and want to take it in early January, but I want to take a practice one first to see where I'm at. I'm studying using the Manhattan Review set of books.

Also, is an early January GMAT date early enough for Round 3 of Fall 2012? I decided to apply to b-school a bit late so Round 3 is the earliest I could apply given the fact that I still need to take my GMAT.

You can get two practice tests off the GMAT website that will follow the exact format of the actual test.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Thoguh posted:

You can get two practice tests off the GMAT website that will follow the exact format of the actual test.
Fair warning, though -- these are not adaptive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Fair warning, though -- these are not adaptive.

They aren't? I didn't know that. My scores on those were within a few points of my actual score so I assumed they were.