Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jvempire
May 10, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

If by 'stealth' you mean 'ghost' well...yeah, you'll have a rotten time other than a couple of missions explicitly designed for it. You're meant to use stealth for elimination more than evasion.
I believe that the stealth in this game is either incredibly hard or incredibly easy. Exhibit A Exhibit B The stealth system in the game isn't that fun really, although that's why I played by just shooting everyone with a pistol/smg and punching everyone if I had the chance and that was fun.

Also I know that the OP says that autosaves are glitched but I didn't really believe it until the boss fight in Saudi Arabia I died. Then when I reload the autosave everyone is gone and I instantly take out the boss by throwing him at the convoy in a cutscene. It said I got passed their defenses or something, when really everyone just disappeared. Another time when I reloaded an autosave all the enemies in the area were right next to me.

I'd like to also share a few things I learned from AP.
Explosions are fun.
The best position to hack in.
Thorton is elastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Thorton's so buff he does finger pushups off the keyboard as he hacks.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

jvempire posted:

I believe that the stealth in this game is either incredibly hard or incredibly easy. Exhibit A Exhibit B The stealth system in the game isn't that fun really, although that's why I played by just shooting everyone with a pistol/smg and punching everyone if I had the chance and that was fun.

Those kinds of moments were a rarity when I played, even in the power run I did in easy mode. More often that not, enemies would see their fallen comrades and immediately go alert (though not hostile). I could try to manage that by attempting to take out enemies in locations with poor visibility, but those opportunities were pretty scant. If I was in an area with 5+ enemies who move in circles or all look at each other, it was always near impossible to clear them out without alerting them. They spot the bodies too quickly, and then they all start looking for me. And this is with a maxxed out stealth and the Advanced Stealth Suit armor with Improved Digital Camouflage.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I don't actually find stealth that hard, but maybe that's because I feel like I can actually just relax and just start punching throats when an alarm sounds without getting the impression that I'm doing something wrong (unless there's 'remain undetected' objectives)

Outrespective
Oct 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ok the reason you have three options for the halbech e-mails.

1) Build up relationship with a character for a romance while discrediting halbech at the same time for a paltry $1000

2) Do not build up relationship with a character but still discredit hablech at the same time for $10k

3) Go evil and blackmail instead of taking it public, collect $15k cause you are a worm, but mainly doing this for evil rather than cash.

The Black Market option is there just in case you want to discredit Halbech without the romance option, that is all.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Outrespective posted:

The Black Market option is there just in case you want to discredit Halbech without the romance option, that is all.

Sure, but option 1 has tangible ramifications on the game, whereas options 2 and 3 are functionally identical, and the only real difference is a sentence or two of narration during the closing credits. It just would have been nice to see the game acknowledge my allegiance to the black market through lowered prices or expanded stock or new contacts in town, you know?

Kitfox88 posted:

I don't actually find stealth that hard, but maybe that's because I feel like I can actually just relax and just start punching throats when an alarm sounds without getting the impression that I'm doing something wrong (unless there's 'remain undetected' objectives)

Speaking of which, which missions force you to break cover at some point, and which ones are possible to fully stealth? Like, you can get through the CIA Listening Post without being seen, but when you're completing D'Arcy's mission in Saudi Arabia there's a moment where all enemies become aware of your presence. Is there a list of the fully-stealthable missions so I don't waste time sneaking through a level that's going to expose me eventually?

Astfgl fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 14, 2011

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Astfgl posted:

Speaking of which, which missions force you to break cover at some point, and which ones are possible to fully stealth? Like, you can get through the CIA Listening Post without being seen, but when you're completing D'Arcy's mission in Saudi Arabia there's a moment where all enemies become aware of your presence. Is there a list of the fully-stealthable missions so I don't waste time sneaking through a level that's going to expose me eventually?

I wrote up what missions you can make progress towards the perk One with the Shadows earlier in the thread. I'll just copy what I wrote back then, since getting that perk requires not being seen.

Saudi Arabia The Jizan stockpile and Intercept Shaaheed missions are not doable. You will always be spotted. I know you can do the airfield and I'm pretty sure Nasri's palace can be done. It's still very hard to do on these levels cause you don't have much of the stealth abilities unlocked.

Rome I don't believe the Chateau, NSA Gelato shop, Contacting Madison, or talking to Marburg at the cafe missions count for this perk. The CIA hub is possible. You will always be spotted during the Warehouse, Marburg's mansion, Ruins Transmission, and Museum missions.

Taipei Again, I don't believe contacting Heck, President Sung, or Hong Shi count towards the perk. The Warehouse is doable. I'm not sure if the NSB conference is possible to ghost. Heck sets off the guards at the beginning, but I'm not sure if that counts against you. You will always be spotted during the Triad, Intercepting the Assassination Plan, and the Rally missions.

Moscow Contacting Grigori or Surkov doesn't count. You will always be spotted during the Trainyard, Lazo's Yacht, The Embassy, and Brayko's mansion. The last optional mission with Molotek is doable if you take Surkov's deal.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

So if I'm reading that right, the only missions where it's possible to get through without detection are:

Saudi Arabia:
Bug Al-Samad Airfeld
Intercept Shaheed

Moscow
Prevent Surkov's Escape

Taipei
Investigate the Warehouse District Data Trail

Rome
Bug CIA Listening Post

That's only five missions in the whole game! Christ.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Category Fun! posted:

As I recall it changes the news reports during the credits. If you sell it on the black market Halbech becomes discredited publicly, whereas if you blackmail them Halbech suffers massive losses from all the bribe money they're paying you.

As a bonus, selling it on the black market will generate a few random e-mails scattered around the game where one guy is talking to another guy about how word's getting out you don't want to be mixed up in Halbech's poo poo- seem to recall a line about "This guy dumped all his stock over the course of two weeks, and he's always been very well-connected. He know something I don't?"

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Astfgl posted:

So if I'm reading that right, the only missions where it's possible to get through without detection are:

Saudi Arabia:
Bug Al-Samad Airfeld
Intercept Shaheed

Moscow
Prevent Surkov's Escape

Taipei
Investigate the Warehouse District Data Trail

Rome
Bug CIA Listening Post

It can still be worthwhile to be stealthy even if the mission reveals you at some point. There are at least 4 perks that you can earn for being stealthy even if you eventually get detected in the mission. Also, a lot of the missions you can't completely ghost are because there's a boss fight at the end of them. You can sneak your way through the level, you just have to deal with the boss. You can also use stealth during the boss fights too.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Astfgl posted:

Saudi Arabia:
Bug Al-Samad Airfeld
Intercept Shaheed

The second one is Find Nasri the Arms Dealer not the Shaheed one.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Astfgl posted:

Not being detected is pretty boring, honestly.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Today's daily deal on Steam is Alpha Protocol 66% off (making it $6.80 here).

If for some reason people still don't have it after it was $2 for a while.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Astfgl posted:

Those kinds of moments were a rarity when I played, even in the power run I did in easy mode. More often that not, enemies would see their fallen comrades and immediately go alert (though not hostile). I could try to manage that by attempting to take out enemies in locations with poor visibility, but those opportunities were pretty scant. If I was in an area with 5+ enemies who move in circles or all look at each other, it was always near impossible to clear them out without alerting them. They spot the bodies too quickly, and then they all start looking for me. And this is with a maxxed out stealth and the Advanced Stealth Suit armor with Improved Digital Camouflage.
The reason why I think the people acted like that in the screenshots was because I had the level 3 silencer + the stealth ability evasion that turns you invisible if someone sees you. So they saw their friends getting shot, but because they neither saw me no heard me they didn't care. The stealth system seems to rely on the sound the character makes, and if the enemy can see the character. Although I do think the enemy is suppose to react to their allies dying, I think the other factors sometimes maybe override it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Today's daily deal on Steam is Alpha Protocol 66% off (making it $6.80 here).

If for some reason people still don't have it after it was $2 for a while.

Missed it due to financial issues. Otherwise lots more people would've been gifted all of a sudden.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

evilmiera posted:

Missed it due to financial issues. Otherwise lots more people would've been gifted all of a sudden.

Honestly, I'm having trouble finding people to gift it to at this point. I've still got one of the $2 copies lying around in my Steam inventory.

Thanks again for your AP gifting sprees, by the way. :) If not for that I probably never would have played AP.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Fixed the graphics stuff and just finished my second veteran playthrough as :smugdog: Mike. Baiting Marburg in Rome was so satisfying, but somehow during the final op I missed finding Scarlet, again. I had figured she would have been with Mina, but apparently not? Or perhaps I just made the wrong choices, again. What exactly does determine her appearance in the Greybox?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Kitfox88 posted:

Fixed the graphics stuff and just finished my second veteran playthrough as :smugdog: Mike. Baiting Marburg in Rome was so satisfying, but somehow during the final op I missed finding Scarlet, again. I had figured she would have been with Mina, but apparently not? Or perhaps I just made the wrong choices, again. What exactly does determine her appearance in the Greybox?

She's in the room to your right after talking with Parker/Omen Deng on the screen.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

ToxicFrog posted:

Honestly, I'm having trouble finding people to gift it to at this point. I've still got one of the $2 copies lying around in my Steam inventory.

Thanks again for your AP gifting sprees, by the way. :) If not for that I probably never would have played AP.

If you wanna get rid of it I'll gladly paypal you 2$.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

Smol posted:

She's in the room to your right after talking with Parker/Omen Deng on the screen.

when friends of mine play this game for the first time, i wait until they reach the end game, and then offer up my only piece of advice: "don't miss the room on your right after talking to parker/deng" because i consider it essential to a good end game. my first play through i didn't encounter scarlet, marburg, loving anyone, it sucked and was empty and i like to spare people that experience.

the nucas fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 18, 2011

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Same here. I largely like to let the game be a surprise for everyone.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

:doh: I don't think I've ever actually noticed that drat room.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
It's pretty easy to miss. The corridor in question has two doors, and if you choose the "wrong" one, you can't go back.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, my first time through I missed both those sorts of doors in the place. I felt so smug with myself this playthrough because I knew to be careful. :shepface:

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
yeah it needs to be in the OP or something I've said this every time some one misses it in this thread which is about 100 times by now

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I just finished this game and I absolutely love it after 3 days of intense playing. I'm going to try and start a more stealthy, no-kill playthrough as a Recruit on my way to unlocking Veteran, but I've got a couple of questions:

1. Will destroying an auto-turret with normal bullets count as 'lethal', even if I get rid of all the guards with takedowns / martial arts / tranqs?

2. Does a Recruit end up with as many APs as a normal character after so many level ups?

3. I think I read somewhere in this thread that a body that's been 'taken down' via stealth wouldn't alert a guard, although a dead body would. How about bodies taken down via Martial Arts or tranq darts?

4. How feasible do you think it would be to do a Martial Arts character that takes people out physically, but without Stealth? I'm thinking the mini-boss before the Striker holding Shaheed might not be reachable without guns, among other things. (I'll probably take the Stealth skills anyway, but the theme would still be to avoid gunplay)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I just finished this game and I absolutely love it after 3 days of intense playing. I'm going to try and start a more stealthy, no-kill playthrough as a Recruit on my way to unlocking Veteran, but I've got a couple of questions:

1. Will destroying an auto-turret with normal bullets count as 'lethal', even if I get rid of all the guards with takedowns / martial arts / tranqs?

2. Does a Recruit end up with as many APs as a normal character after so many level ups?

3. I think I read somewhere in this thread that a body that's been 'taken down' via stealth wouldn't alert a guard, although a dead body would. How about bodies taken down via Martial Arts or tranq darts?

4. How feasible do you think it would be to do a Martial Arts character that takes people out physically, but without Stealth? I'm thinking the mini-boss before the Striker holding Shaheed might not be reachable without guns, among other things. (I'll probably take the Stealth skills anyway, but the theme would still be to avoid gunplay)

1. No it won't, unless the explosion damages and kills someone near by. The lethal/non-lethal distinction is only for actual people.

2. There will be a series of "Recruit" dialogue options towards the beginning of the game which are, of course, optional, but add flavor and background to the Recruit Mike. They also, conveniently, serve to help balance out your APs pretty early on. Difficulty won't really be a problem anyway since minigames scale based on how much total AP you have.

3. It's kinda iffy, since bodies seem to randomly despawn after a while, but as far as I know, taking someone down lethally or non-lethally doesn't change whether or not others are alerted. I think it's a matter of timing or just an odd bug. There is no difference between someone who has been "taken out" and someone you have subdued with Martial Arts or with tranq darts.

4. It's definitely feasible, especially if you also put points into the Endurance (I think that's what its called?) skill tree. That mini-boss you mentioned actually has some different results based on whether or not you did use guns so it's not only possible but fully accounted for.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Also you'd want to avoid fighting SIE at the trainyard in Moscow, because they are completely unreachable without an accurate long-distance weapon; I tried fighting them on my shotgun/SMG rear end in a top hat run and had to reload a save and skip the fight because I literally couldn't hit them at that distance without a pistol or an AR.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

a significant portion of my combat in my first playthrough involved running directly at enemies and jumping up to put a knee in their face.

i leveled martial arts up before i got pistol up to a usable level and made it fine. chain shot was too handy not to end up getting for boss fights so i can't claim to have been total physicality but it was enjoyable none the less.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

In Training posted:

4. It's definitely feasible, especially if you also put points into the Endurance (I think that's what its called?) skill tree. That mini-boss you mentioned actually has some different results based on whether or not you did use guns so it's not only possible but fully accounted for.

You don't even need the Endurance points - you can get behind that guy and stealth-kill him. That particular fight is clearly designed specifically so that a stealth approach works.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the advice, guys. My second playthrough's now 2/3 into Saudi Arabia and I haven't "killed" a single guard yet. Should be very interesting.

Edit: By the way, can anything be done with Sis? I got the part where she gave me the locket and had that whole conversation with Albatross about St George and the dragon and Sis being an orphan, but I never heard from her or the sub-plot again. Maybe it was because I went with SIE for my first playthrough's Moscow instead of G22. I dunno, did I miss a romance or she helps you on a mission or something?

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Nov 20, 2011

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Sis doesn't really go anywhere

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
So I just finished the game after buying it due to the constant goon adoration, and so far its as fantastic as promised(I actually feel bad only paying five dollars for this). Just a question about the final mission I spent most of the game sucking up to Albatross and G22 (sparing sis, removing the bug, saving him from the russian guy) and for some reason I wasnt allowed to pick him as my handler for the final mission, does anyone have any idea why that might be? Also what happens to Marburg if you dont kill him after Rome and after you meet him at the Greybox but don't turn him against Halbeck?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
How the heck are you supposed to use the Sound Generator? All it does is cause the guard to enter yellow alert and run to you, but it's like a crapshoot on whether or not you can do a Stealth Take-down before he goes red alert unless I'm just not getting it.

Also, is there a difference as far as the game is concerned if you do a mission where an alarm is never sounded, even if you're detected/send guards into red alert, or a mission all of your takedowns are exclusively stealth from blue alert guards.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The sound generator makes the guards check out whatever you aimed it at. Aiming it at yourself isn't a good idea.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Dr. Stab posted:

The sound generator makes the guards check out whatever you aimed it at. Aiming it at yourself isn't a good idea.

Whenever I used it, wherever I aimed it they would just go yellow alert and start running towards my exact hiding spot. I eventually sold the thing. Could be a bug?

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

The best way to use the sound generator is to use it in combo with other traps. Plant a mine or grenade somewhere and point the sound generator at it so the guards will trip it. If they're running to you directly, you can just plant a mine on top of your location if you've got the ability that makes you immune to damage from your own traps.

khwarezm posted:

So I just finished the game after buying it due to the constant goon adoration, and so far its as fantastic as promised(I actually feel bad only paying five dollars for this). Just a question about the final mission I spent most of the game sucking up to Albatross and G22 (sparing sis, removing the bug, saving him from the russian guy) and for some reason I wasnt allowed to pick him as my handler for the final mission, does anyone have any idea why that might be? Also what happens to Marburg if you dont kill him after Rome and after you meet him at the Greybox but don't turn him against Halbeck?

G22A couple questions. Was the Contact Albatross mission available at the final safe house? Also, did he like you fairly well? I'm pretty sure he has to like you and you have to do that mission to get the option to have him as your handler. It sounds like you chose him as your handler for the embassy and Brayko's mansion, so that can't be it.

MarburgWhat happens to him kind of depends on what actions you take in the final mission. You can tell him that Parker betrayed him all those years ago. He will show up during the server room section of the final mission and kill Parker. I'm pretty sure he will fight you at this point to the death. You can also tell Parker that Marburg tried to kill his daughter or did kill his daughter, depending on what happened in Rome. If Parker believes you, he will try and murder Marburg and will fail. The end result is basically the same as the first. Marburg will be a boss fight in the server room. He might also show up at this point even if you haven't told him about Parker or vice versa. There's also the possibility that he will just get out of dodge if you haven't provoked him or swayed his loyalty.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Torsade de Pointes posted:

G22A couple questions. Was the Contact Albatross mission available at the final safe house? Also, did he like you fairly well? I'm pretty sure he has to like you and you have to do that mission to get the option to have him as your handler. It sounds like you chose him as your handler for the embassy and Brayko's mansion, so that can't be it.

I didn't notice any mission for contacting him, all I saw were Scarlett and Shaheed, though I did have him as the handler for the embassy (though not Brayko's place) and he was pretty enamoured to me by the end (about +3, should that have been enough?)

quote:

MarburgWhat happens to him kind of depends on what actions you take in the final mission. You can tell him that Parker betrayed him all those years ago. He will show up during the server room section of the final mission and kill Parker. I'm pretty sure he will fight you at this point to the death. You can also tell Parker that Marburg tried to kill his daughter or did kill his daughter, depending on what happened in Rome. If Parker believes you, he will try and murder Marburg and will fail. The end result is basically the same as the first. Marburg will be a boss fight in the server room. He might also show up at this point even if you haven't told him about Parker or vice versa. There's also the possibility that he will just get out of dodge if you haven't provoked him or swayed his loyalty.

Oh, I didnt reveal any of the stuff you mentioned, and he seemed fairly neutral toward me despite my best efforts to piss him off so he must have just left.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

khwarezm posted:

I didn't notice any mission for contacting him, all I saw were Scarlett and Shaheed, though I did have him as the handler for the embassy (though not Brayko's place) and he was pretty enamoured to me by the end (about +3, should that have been enough?)

Are you absolutely sure you saved him at Brayko's? You said you did but you should have had the "Contact Albatross" mission before the Greybox and the only way you wouldn't would be if he was dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

gohuskies posted:

Are you absolutely sure you saved him at Brayko's? You said you did but you should have had the "Contact Albatross" mission before the Greybox and the only way you wouldn't would be if he was dead.

Well I bashed my way into his room, had a pleasant chat with him while his brains leaked out, sent him on his merry way, dressed down Brayko and got a email from Albatross confirming that we were bros for life afterward. Hes not listed as "defeated" in his dossier either so I don't really know what happened. Meh, I can always get him on my next run I guess, I was just wondering if this was something anyone else noticed.

• Locked thread