Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Negromancer posted:

So I just signed the lease for a house that I will be moving into in December, so that means I can finally get a dog. I have been trying to decide between a bull terrier or a corgi, but I'm leaning more towards getting a corgi. I keep watching for one from a shelter that I could adopt, but it seems like they rarely come up, so it looks like I will end up going through a breeder. I know that there are some seattle area corgi owners here, any recommendations for breeders? I seem to remember people mentioning the Paul Chen at Afara being a good breeder, and it looks like they just had a new litter. Any advice for looking for a corgi in this area?

Are you looking for a Pembroke or a Cardigan? I have a Cardigan from C-Myste in Oregon.

http://c-myste.com/

Looking at her site today, I see a corgi/GSD mix rescue mentioned on her blog, and a couple of dogs in her puppies/available section that are available from some of her breeder friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

anachrodragon posted:

Are you looking for a Pembroke or a Cardigan? I have a Cardigan from C-Myste in Oregon.

http://c-myste.com/

Looking at her site today, I see a corgi/GSD mix rescue mentioned on her blog, and a couple of dogs in her puppies/available section that are available from some of her breeder friends.

I have been leaning towards getting a Cardigan, but if either one would be fine if I could find one to adopt. I am also rather conflicted about getting a puppy, or adopting a older dog. Part of me wants a puppy, but at the same time there are so many dogs that need to be adopted I feel like I should do that.

Also, the corgi/GSD mix on her site is way to cute

Anyone have experience adopting a older corgi? I am kind of worried that it would be harder to train if there were any behavior problems.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

omg i want that corgi/ gsd mix! too bad i'm on the east coast!

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Negromancer posted:

I have been leaning towards getting a Cardigan, but if either one would be fine if I could find one to adopt. I am also rather conflicted about getting a puppy, or adopting a older dog. Part of me wants a puppy, but at the same time there are so many dogs that need to be adopted I feel like I should do that.

Also, the corgi/GSD mix on her site is way to cute

Anyone have experience adopting a older corgi? I am kind of worried that it would be harder to train if there were any behavior problems.

Yeah, that corgi/GSD mix is loving cute.

As for training, don't believe the myth that older dogs are harder to train. If anything, puppies have much less of an attention span for training. You have to teach a puppy everything and they're not very well equipped to pay attention to you. I got my dog as a puppy, but if we get another dog I think we'll try for an older dog. She was a good puppy, but puppies :argh:

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
Ugh, Corwin has little scabs all over him. In the summer, I thought they were just flea bites, so we started him on another round of Advantage. But they're still there, and there are more of them, plus a bunch of what look like moles or pigmentation. I know the moles are likely harmless dog-spots, and that skin cancer doesn't manifest like this, but my husband works in oncology, so I'm paranoid. I hope he just has a skin allergy or something. His coat looks great despite all this, but to the vet we go!

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

Wonder Bra posted:

Ugh, Corwin has little scabs all over him. In the summer, I thought they were just flea bites, so we started him on another round of Advantage. But they're still there, and there are more of them, plus a bunch of what look like moles or pigmentation. I know the moles are likely harmless dog-spots, and that skin cancer doesn't manifest like this, but my husband works in oncology, so I'm paranoid. I hope he just has a skin allergy or something. His coat looks great despite all this, but to the vet we go!

You're in the Seattle area right? My good friend's father is a dermatology vet in the Lynnwood/Mill Creek area. They work a lot with skin conditions and allergies. Let me know if you are interested in their info, apparently dermatology vets are hard to find.

iSuck
Jul 22, 2005

by T. Mascis
I want to get like 10 of these and sleep in a Corgi puppy pile. :3: Unfortunately, my landlord only allows cats.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

iSuck posted:

I want to get like 10 of these and sleep in a Corgi puppy pile. :3: Unfortunately, my landlord only allows cats.
Corgis aren't as soft as they look - it'd be more like laying down on a bed made of hams.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Are you really saying any goon would pass up the chance to sleep on a ham bed?

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Miss Indy posted:

You're in the Seattle area right? My good friend's father is a dermatology vet in the Lynnwood/Mill Creek area. They work a lot with skin conditions and allergies. Let me know if you are interested in their info, apparently dermatology vets are hard to find.

Thanks! He was due for his yearly exam anyway, so we went to Aurora Animal Hospital, which is where he went last year. The vet thinks it looks like a bit of a staph infection, either caused by flea bites, dry skin, or an allergy. We're treating it with Cephalexin and hopefully it will be a one-time thing. If it reoccurs, I'll seek out a derm.

Now I'm also wondering if the drat groomers making him smell so flowery could be part of the problem-- but I'd think they'd know well enough to use hypoallergenic whatever.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Wonder Bra posted:

Thanks! He was due for his yearly exam anyway, so we went to Aurora Animal Hospital, which is where he went last year. The vet thinks it looks like a bit of a staph infection, either caused by flea bites, dry skin, or an allergy. We're treating it with Cephalexin and hopefully it will be a one-time thing. If it reoccurs, I'll seek out a derm.

Now I'm also wondering if the drat groomers making him smell so flowery could be part of the problem-- but I'd think they'd know well enough to use hypoallergenic whatever.

This happened to my friend's corgi after leaving him at a doggy daycare. The shampoo they used in their "free bath" caused him to "break out" with many sores all over his back.

Her vet basically did the same thing and prescribed an antibiotic and recommended to not use whatever shampoo they had at the daycare. Seemed like a skin allergy.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Radio! posted:

Are you really saying any goon would pass up the chance to sleep on a ham bed?

A hairy ham bed that farts.

Also if they're anything like Ace, it will try to lick you constantly. Inside of your arm, elbows, ears, your face... The licking. Oh god the licking. He has this thing ever since my boyfriend got a tattoo that he has to lick the tattoo whenever he's close enough to. It's been months and he still tries to snipe lick.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Taziki tackled me this morning and tried to lick my mouth all up until the time I left for work because she loves the smell of toothpaste.

What is wrong with these dogs.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Orbit licks my arms after I put moisturizer on them. He must thinks it's the tastiest treat!

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Sometimes Hopkins licks water off of my legs when I get out of the shower. :3:

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Duuh! These are staaairs!
My boys are also turbo-lickers, especially Dewey. He has to lick your forearm obsessively while you pet him. Dexter loves to lick mosquito bites and my husband swears his tongue has "medicine" since the bites itch less after being licked.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Noctone posted:

Sometimes Hopkins licks water off of my legs when I get out of the shower. :3:

Oh god that's another favorite for the snipe lick (which is my term for when he sneaks up all quiet, licks, and runs away because he knows I'll fuss about it.)

The inside of my knees after a shower. Urgh.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah Taziki will often have to come into our bathroom when one of us is showering and she'll lick anything that gets water on it then she'll like my feet when I get out and I thank her for drying me off.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
Corwin gets upset if he can't come into the bathroom to lick the water off our legs after we shower. He waits outside until we're ready, or he sits at the foot of the claw-foot tub and stares at whichever of us is in the shower. He loves to dry our legs and if he misses the chance, he tries to lick off the lotion on my legs as I put it on. Weirdo.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Crunch Bucket posted:

My boys are also turbo-lickers, especially Dewey. He has to lick your forearm obsessively while you pet him. Dexter loves to lick mosquito bites and my husband swears his tongue has "medicine" since the bites itch less after being licked.

Dog saliva actually has healing properties, it's why dogs lick their wounds. Studies have shown that wounded animals that are allowed to lick minor injuries heal faster and with less incidence of infection compared to animals that don't.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Miss Indy posted:

Wait, what happened??! That's what Zeke looks like when he tries to mouth bees...

Sorry I left you hanging on this for like a month; real life is interfering with my internet life.

Neige got chomped in the face by a classmate's dog and had a fracture on her nose and upper jaw. She's pretty much back to normal now, but the swelling made her look completely ridiculous. And she should look like Zeke...Zeke's sister Zoe is Neige's grandmother! No bees though.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well well. We were really excited about a potential adoption a couple of weeks ago, someone got the guy a day before we were going to meet him though. I was pretty upset, he was super submissive, would have worked well with Taziki being bossy.

Now cut to yesterday, which was Taziki's second birthday...

She got a sister (Pita) as a present!

My girlfriend has a friend at the SPCA and we got a message on Sunday that a purebred Corgi stray came in. I feel bad thinking about her possibly having a family missing her but she was at the pound for 4 days and all I can do is give her the best home possible.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I want a friend for Orbit sooooo bad!!! Maybe when he's a little older.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I can't wait to get Pita's surgery done Wednesday. I think she's going to be a character when not on meds and not being worried with spilling pee+blood everywhere.

In the mean time, she thinks the cooler was a suitable couch...

The Dave fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Nov 28, 2011

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

Nova pretty much has huge ears.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Plus_Infinity posted:

I want a friend for Orbit sooooo bad!!! Maybe when he's a little older.

Why on earth would anyone want two of these horrible monsters?

My rat.

My rope.

My bison.

My couch.

My table (no I do not need help getting down I do not intend to get down ever).

My Thanksgiving.

MY CAMERA.

I will get a second corgi when I want to lose both my housing deposits and I want the entire complex burned down.

She's pretty cute, though.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Anyone here going to the Middleburg Corgi Corps parade? Gizmo will be there!

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Every time I think about getting another corgi puppy I remember how terrible corgi puppies are.

Also that I have no room for any more butts in my house.

MisterFusion
Mar 8, 2010
Daisy when she was a puppy meets her mortal enemy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7StFSyiee4o

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

gogogiraffes posted:

Anyone here going to the Middleburg Corgi Corps parade? Gizmo will be there!

Pepper and Loki will be there

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

MisterFusion posted:

Daisy when she was a puppy meets her mortal enemy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7StFSyiee4o

Your puppy knows the evil of Mr. Potato Head

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010
I got a corgi puppy about a month ago. Here, have a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BMF05huyEc

Adderholt
Jul 1, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I just adopted two corgis!!!

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

What delightful lumps! What ate their names?

Adderholt
Jul 1, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Plus_Infinity posted:

What delightful lumps! What ate their names?

The girl is Nunu and the boy is Opie. They are the sweetest dogs imaginable.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Ahhhhh congrats! Having 2 Corgis is a blast.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Nunu and opie are amazing corgi names!!! Post more pictures!!

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle
This weekend I have TWO corgis! Walter is here to amuse Corwin (hopefully). Right now, Corwin is passed out on the floor. What a lump. Hope to get some photos to share!

EDIT:

These are from morning snuggles the other day.

Sleepy pup...

Being the little spoon for my husband...

Gah! Jesus! It looks like husband has turned into some kind of awful Corgi were-beast!

Wonder Bra fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 17, 2011

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Happy Holidays from Neige!

On an unrelated note, Afara has a new litter and there is a tri-color girl who is a white-faced mismark like Neige and I waaaaaant her!

look look:

look at her cute little sleeeeeeeeve!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I still want all of the corgis! I wish I could babysit a second corgi for a while like you guys to get an idea of how much extra craziness it would be.

• Locked thread