Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Just got home from work, took a Skyactiv 3 hatch out for a spin before I left. Pics and poo poo in a couple minutes :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I put the pictures up on Flickr rather than upload like 20 pictures to the thread. They are all here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/yanks2435/sets/72157628028435239/

Car itself is comfortable and has more leg room than the 2011 3 hatch I took out in March. Ride is really smooth and quiet, and the engine is quiet as well. I had it in manual mode instead of just straight automatic when I left the lot and didn't realize it until I looked at the tach and it was up to 5000 rpm, but it wasn't making a ton of noise like my car would at that RPM. I did a lap on the highway and switched to straight auto at the light for the loop back.

One downside though: the car has an annoying delay in acceleration. When you are going and want to go quicker, whether you mash it all the way down to the floor or even halfway down there is a full 1-2 second delay before it responds and follows through. It did this both in manual sport mode and straight automatic. Even if I downshifted. Also when I was stopped at the light and let off the brakes to crawl forward a little the engine speed dropped down like if you were to let off the clutch in first gear too far while not moving, but then as I got further off the brake it picked back up and started going fine. The steering felt good, really responsive going around the u-turn loop, and the brakes were really grabby. Maybe it's cause I'm used to my lovely brakes that need to be replaced, but they felt better than the '11 3 that I took out earlier this year.

All in all not a bad ride. The price is cheap, it gets really good gas mileage and has enough storage space. They need to adjust the dark magiks in the transmission though. The manual ones aren't coming out for another few months I think, but I'll take one of those out and see how it responds and see if it has the same delay or not. My suspicion is that it's just the auto trans and not an engine management thing.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
How quickly does it shift?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
When are they going to turbo that sumbitch?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

CharlesM posted:

How quickly does it shift?

Once it responds to what your asking it to do it seemed to shift alright.

Rhyno posted:

When are they going to turbo that sumbitch?

Haven't heard anything about a Skyactiv Speed 3. They have a 2012 Speed 3 but I don't think it's anything more than small changes.

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 17, 2011

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

As I'll never own one with an auto, look forward to hearing if the acceleration issue clears up a bit on the manual set up.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Regarding turbos, I haven't heard anything either. I have read that the diesel ones have twin turbos as they are running lower compression ratios while the Skyactiv-G engines in the 3's are at 13 or 14:1 (depending on NA or Europe).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Nodoze posted:

Once it responds to what your asking it to do it seemed to shift alright.

I thought I read in one of their press releases they had somehow gotten it to shift as fast as a DSG, and it's kind of noted in this review, although they had the same complaint of sluggishness, but not in the manual version.
http://www.autoguide.com/manufacturer/mazda/2012-mazda3-skyactiv-review-video-1726.html

The compression ratio in the U.S. 3 is actually 12:1, with the CX-5 having 13:1. The CX-5 has more engine bay room for the 4-2-1 exhaust header.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CharlesM posted:

I thought I read in one of their press releases they had somehow gotten it to shift as fast as a DSG, and it's kind of noted in this review, although they had the same complaint of sluggishness, but not in the manual version.
http://www.autoguide.com/manufacturer/mazda/2012-mazda3-skyactiv-review-video-1726.html

The compression ratio in the U.S. 3 is actually 12:1, with the CX-5 having 13:1. The CX-5 has more engine bay room for the 4-2-1 exhaust header.

Cx5 only lets you get the manual in the base model. loving Mazda. :mad:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Nodoze posted:

I put the pictures up on Flickr rather than upload like 20 pictures to the thread. They are all here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/yanks2435/sets/72157628028435239/

Jeeze. Could they add any more buttons to that steering wheel?

opengl128 posted:

hellooooo expensive new hobby

I really want to take my car to a track day. What sort of prep did you do and how much wear did see at the end of the day?

By that, I mean did you go through a pair of tires/pads/rotors? And I assume you flushed your brake fluid before and maybe did an oil change before/after?

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 18, 2011

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MetaJew posted:

I really want to take my car to a track day. What sort of prep did you do and how much wear did see at the end of the day?

By that, I mean did you go through a pair of tires/pads/rotors? And I assume you flushed your brake fluid before and maybe did an oil change before/after?

I required very little prep. I did an oil change a month ago, so I was fine there. No need to do one right after either, maybe just move my next one up 500-1000 miles at most. Brakes are all factory at 27K, didn't touch them, though I did bring new pads and fluid just in case. They did fine, just got a little soft towards the end of the day. I'll bleed them soon to be safe. I did go with brand new tires, because my stockers were just about done for and I was worried I wouldn't pass tech. This particular track has a really slow tight turn that is known to eat tires, but I took it relatively easy through the day, and didn't see too much wear, just a little surface shredding, already wore off on the drive home.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

MetaJew posted:

Jeeze. Could they add any more buttons to that steering wheel?

It's the same number of buttons that have been on the MZ3's wheel for a few years now. In practice, since they're flush to the wheel, you'll almost never accidentally hit them. The rocker switches also take a good amount of effort unlike a four-way, so you're also unlikely to hit one on accident.

The new shifter knob looks a lot nicer, how's it feel compared to a 2011? The one on the 2011 has this big plastic piece smack in the middle that just feels ultra cheap, even though the leather feel is good. The very minor interior updates really class it up. The less fake silver in there, the better.

It also looks like that specimen in the showroom is that new Dolphin Gray color that replaced the very cool gunmetal blue. How's it look in person? The pictures on Mazda's site not inspire confidence.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bovril Delight posted:

Cx5 only lets you get the manual in the base model. loving Mazda. :mad:

MAZDA t:mad:

Some of us like nice headlights and leather and a clutch, all in the same car.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

MAZDA t:mad:

Some of us like nice headlights and leather and a clutch, all in the same car.

Here is what I want from a CX-5.

Manual available in any trim level
AWD
Diesel

Never going to get one now.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Im in the same boat now too. I had a care out there for the CX-5 but now that Manual Trany is poor people spec only, I will have to pass once again on another mazda :(

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I feel like not offering a stick on a small car in top trims is pretty inexcusable (thankfully Mazda is innocent of this. My '11 3hatch has everything + a stick), but small SUVs are directly targeted at 18-28 female drivers, aka the demographic in the world that would say "oh my gawd, i didnt even know they still like, made, manual cars. what are you a poor person??"

The percent of people that will buy the stick, even at base trim, has got to be laughably tiny.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Cygni posted:

I feel like not offering a stick on a small car in top trims is pretty inexcusable (thankfully Mazda is innocent of this. My '11 3hatch has everything + a stick), but small SUVs are directly targeted at 18-28 female drivers, aka the demographic in the world that would say "oh my gawd, i didnt even know they still like, made, manual cars. what are you a poor person??"

The percent of people that will buy the stick, even at base trim, has got to be laughably tiny.

gently caress it, make it order only then. They already have the tranny out there, just pull the Aisin 6 speed for the Speed3.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Bovril Delight posted:

gently caress it, make it order only then. They already have the tranny out there, just pull the Aisin 6 speed for the Speed3.

It's all about the cost of having another model to import/get DOT approval. The fewer variations in models the cheaper it is.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah, when the Mazda 6 was first introduced, you could get a manual wagon. The sales rate was about 1% or something ridiculous like that in the U.S., so it was axed.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Honda, Toyota, and Nissan don't even offer a stick at all on their small SUVs, despite the price segment. Tells ya something. Ford offers a stick on the base Escape, but I've never actually seen one.

Mazda makes a living appealing to that demo, but I honestly don't think there's nearly enough of us to make a stick small SUV with high level trim even worth thinking about for them. I just hope they sell enough of those things to keep developing crazy stuff like new rotaries and speed models for those that care.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

SynMoo posted:

It's all about the cost of having another model to import/get DOT approval. The fewer variations in models the cheaper it is.

You already have the tranny approved in the base model - it doesn't cost anything else in getting approval as the car is approved with the tranny. It is solely a business decision.

WT Wally
Feb 19, 2004

Have any other first generation MS3 owners had any fog light issues? My driver's side fog light went out. I changed the bulb, but apparently that's not the problem. There's a fuse for both fog lights, but nothing that covers just the driver's side.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Is there a possibility that water has gotten into the housing and corroded the socket, or the wiring is damaged somewhere?

This happened to the turn-signal housings on my first car. As a result the relay/clicker thing in the turn signal wouldn't cycle-- it would just stay on.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Just wanted to share with everyone, Roger Beazley Mazda in Austin is hosting a meet and greet/track day on December 10 if anyone's interested:

MazdaMovement & Roger Beasley Mazda TRACK DAY
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=165548943538635&view=wall&notif_t=event_wall

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
So, do you get to track your car or there's, or is it just some marketing thing? Subaru of Austin did something similar at the driveway where you could drive there demos on the track, but they would only let you on the 0.8 mi course (because the owner of the Driveway is a douche.)

Harris Hill isn't too far away, but if they don't let you on the track....

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
So I'm bringing my Hawaiian Speed6 to Denver, Colorado. Is there a different high altitude map I should grab over the stock map I haven't changed yet?

Any other things you guys can think of? This car has never seen a winter in its life. Currently running 5w30 Mobil 1 the Mazdaspeed dealer put in, is a different weight going to be needed for winters?

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 22, 2011

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Laranzu posted:

So I'm bringing my Hawaiian Speed6 to Denver, Colorado. Is there a different high altitude map I should grab over the stock map I haven't changed yet?

Any other things you guys can think of? This car has never seen a winter in its life. Currently running 5w30 Mobil 1 the Mazdaspeed dealer put in, is a different weight going to be needed for winters?

There's nothing you need to do. The ECU will adjust automatically. The 5w30 will be fine. Get snow tires.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Brain Issues posted:

There's nothing you need to do. The ECU will adjust automatically. The 5w30 will be fine. Get snow tires.

Snows are pretty much going to be coming right after the deposit on a place to live. Good to know my little bit of flipping out is wonderfully unwarranted.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Laranzu posted:

Snows are pretty much going to be coming right after the deposit on a place to live. Good to know my little bit of flipping out is wonderfully unwarranted.

Make sure the snow tires you get are on a second set of wheels. It seems more expensive, but it saves a lot of money in tire mounting in the long run.

Also, be ready for new squeaks and rattles that you have never heard before because the car didn't get cold enough.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SynMoo posted:

Also, be ready for new squeaks and rattles that you have never heard before because the car didn't get cold enough.

The temp is all over the place here and my goddamn rear window won't stop rattling!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Laranzu posted:

I am next door in Salt Lake, and I use Mobil1 full synthetic in 5W-30 in my speed6. Also with the winter shoes for the car, I agree to find a set on a second set of wheels. I see stock wheels come up on local classifieds all of the time for ~$400 or less that are in great shape. I use all-season tires on mine since I don't really have a place to store an extra set of wheels/tires in our place :sigh: If Denver is anything like Salt Lake though (which I hear they are) then they will stay on top of plowing/salting/sanding the roads.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

SynMoo posted:

The terrible Hawaiian roads made sure all the squeaks manifested. loving steering wheel is coming off as soon as I get ten minutes to rattleproof it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Posting from my phone: check the Facebook event for Harris Hill Road if you live in Austin. Looks like you get to do parade laps, drive the Skyactiv, and do ride-alongs. I think I'll head out because it's so close.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Holy poo poo, Cork Sport rear motor mount inserts are probably the best $35 you can spend on a MS3. I was skeptical at first but I'm really impressed, took a lot of clunk out of 1st and 2nd.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't supposed any fellow MS6 owners are looking to ditch a set of OEM wheels?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's so cute I had to take a picture:

I'm cleaning out the EGR valve and tube to rid myself of the intermittent P0401 code (the valve was gunked enough to be sticky but not quite jammed), and replacing the throttle body to fix the P2119 I get if I run the car without getting it well and truly heated up.

Also, just shy of 100k and the only mess I'm having to deal with is a slight oil film on the inside of most of the intake parts, and dust everywhere thanks to this summer's crazy dust storms. Oh, and protip, you might just find like five pounds of dirt and bugs and poo poo jammed under your battery :v:

SiB
May 6, 2005
Ya the stock turbos are ridiculously small.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Got it all together, excluding the intercooler cover (cosmetic) and the undertray (didn't want to crawl in dribbled antifreeze to put it on). Downside, I think I may have a clamp loose because I swear the turbo whine under boost is louder now than when I started, but then again it's been a few days since I've driven it. I suppose when I'm not feeling so cold and sore I can see about logging the OBDII reported boost levels...what is stock boost for one of these things?

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Got it all together, excluding the intercooler cover (cosmetic) and the undertray (didn't want to crawl in dribbled antifreeze to put it on). Downside, I think I may have a clamp loose because I swear the turbo whine under boost is louder now than when I started, but then again it's been a few days since I've driven it. I suppose when I'm not feeling so cold and sore I can see about logging the OBDII reported boost levels...what is stock boost for one of these things?

Stock boost should peak around ~15.6 psi, I believe. Someone might need to back me up on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oh, and protip, you might just find like five pounds of dirt and bugs and poo poo jammed under your battery :v:

Well the car is equipped with ram-air cooling for the battery box.