Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

Lone Rogue posted:

Could someone quote it?

You fuckers made me go on the board and now I feel all dirty and sticky and it wasn't even worth it.

Thread was about a comment Meltzer made about Cody Rhodes showing up with a seemingly improved physique after the European tour, while apparently employing a double standard by simply saying The Rock was "in shape". This, in spite of Dave mentioning a few days ago that he was sure Rock wasn't tested under the wellness policy, so it would be fruitless to speculate in that regard.

Lance Storm posted:

Doing it the natural way is a slow slow process. I gained less than 10 lbs over my 15 year active career.

Dave posted:

Rock has less mass and is more cut.

He was 270 as a football player and 270 as a wrestler. He's nowhere near 270 today.\

By the way, OP made up something. I never made a mention of Rock being in shape or out of shape, just that he's more cut and was not as big as the last time I saw him life when he was about the same size as Lesnar, and today he'd be nowhere near Lesnar's size.

Love the guys trying to teach Lance about responding to training. Too rich.

Not much to see here, and of all the things to find annoying about Lance recently, this isn't really one of them. Best thing on the thread was this Dave quote from a 1992 Observer:

quote:

Randy Savage was on the Arsenio Hall talking about the match with Ultimate Warrior and wouldn't you know it, that Hall fed him a question about steroids. Savage said he didn't use them, that they were poison, and told kids not to use them,but admitted experimenting with them at one point. Yeah, and I've experimented with using a typewriter at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
We can only hope Dave's experimentation doesn't also cause fatal heart attacks and car accidents.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There was no double standard by Dave, they just laughed when the idea of Rock being tested came up BECAUSE OF THE WWE'S DOUBLE STANDARDS THAT DAVE HAS BEEN TALKING ABOUT IN THE NEWSLETTER FOR THE LAST FORTNIGHT.

Oh but I forget, people on the board don't read the magazine.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

What about the mentality?

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Lance Storm gained 10lbs in 15 years. He did it the right way :downs:.

I was trying to tell Lance that he apparently doesn't do something right because 10lbs in 15 years is easy.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Lone Rogue posted:

Could someone quote it?

Its just bullshit steroid discussion.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

From this week's observer:

"The post-show dark match was unique. Cena & Punk & Orton faced Henry & Miz & R-Truth. The crowd was chanting they wanted Ryder so loudly that Punk left to the back and convinced Marella to come back to wrestling and show the Ryder
stories weren’t true. The stuff didn’t really get over. Punk went to the back and told Ryder to come to the ring and they had a 4-on-3 edge and Ryder even got the pin to end the show."

Does anyone know what that part in the middle means? I can't tell if it's a Gorilla Monsoon reference or what.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

Arbite posted:

Does anyone know what that part in the middle means? I can't tell if it's a Gorilla Monsoon reference or what.

Meltzer's sleep deprivation/lack of an editor?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Just a quick reminder that this is the podcast thread not the WO/F4W thread.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I think it works pretty well as the WO/F4W thread, since that's the only podcast worth listening to :colbert:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Some dissension teased between John Pollock and Wai Ting on this Monday's Review-A-Raw. They seemed legit mad at each other over the 'This is Your Life' segment.

I'm about halfway through the Memphis Heat Review-A-Wai and they're kinda selling me on it.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

triplexpac posted:

I think it works pretty well as the WO/F4W thread, since that's the only podcast worth listening to :colbert:

Poor dshban :(

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

Some dissension teased between John Pollock and Wai Ting on this Monday's Review-A-Raw. They seemed legit mad at each other over the 'This is Your Life' segment.

I'm about halfway through the Memphis Heat Review-A-Wai and they're kinda selling me on it.
Has anything in the past few months of The LAW reached the hilarity of the Kharma pregnancy rants?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

triplexpac posted:

It's fine if people wanna talk about those podcasts but this isn't the place to talk about board drama or the newsletters.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Karmine posted:

It's fine if people wanna talk about those podcasts but this isn't the place to talk about board drama or the newsletters.

This thread has been the defacto wrestling media thread for months, who cares?

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Poor dshban :(

:(

To be fair, this thread would die if it wasn't 90% WO/F4W.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

dshban posted:

We all (well, most of us) like SWF too.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

And no-one likes Shoot Promo.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

dshban posted:

I only come in here for SWF discussion, so there is that.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

And no-one likes Shoot Promo.
The sound quality is on par with the comedy.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

True.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Has anything in the past few months of The LAW reached the hilarity of the Kharma pregnancy rants?

The LAW moved to a different station, where apparently they can't swear on the air. I haven't listened in a while, can anyone tell me how their idiot callers are adjusting and whether or not Dan Lovranski has had a stroke yet?

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

dshban posted:

I for one enjoy SWF and will probably sign up for Extra soon.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Borh posted:

The LAW moved to a different station, where apparently they can't swear on the air. I haven't listened in a while, can anyone tell me how their idiot callers are adjusting and whether or not Dan Lovranski has had a stroke yet?

They still get some new schmucks in addition to the regular schmucks. It's basically the same show but with less cursing so whatever.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Arbite posted:

From this week's observer:

"The post-show dark match was unique. Cena & Punk & Orton faced Henry & Miz & R-Truth. The crowd was chanting they wanted Ryder so loudly that Punk left to the back and convinced Marella to come back to wrestling and show the Ryder
stories weren’t true. The stuff didn’t really get over. Punk went to the back and told Ryder to come to the ring and they had a 4-on-3 edge and Ryder even got the pin to end the show."

I think it's a reference to the attempts WWE makes to have Ryder look bad. From the same issue:

quote:

Ryder was trying to hit on the Bellas but they thought he was a loser, and they tried to hit on Alberto Del Rio since he’s the champ with a cool car. And he kind of blew them off. They went to Ryder who asked them to party with him in Long Island and they blew him off again. The crowd is behind Ryder but they are bound and determined to make him a geek anyway.

IE the storylines that he is a loser

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
His fault for hitting on heels.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wow, Dave as the host in the studio sounds SO WEIRD back in the old days.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I've given up on the LAW and Review-A-Raw/Impacts - they just got so negative it was a chore to listen to. Who wants to hear someone talk about stuff they dislike for two hours?

I'll still catch the occasional Review-A-Wai, though, some of the shows they review are pretty interesting (and there's no callers).

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Dave being into following the stock market at 8 years old somehow makes perfect sense.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Semiru posted:

I've given up on the LAW and Review-A-Raw/Impacts - they just got so negative it was a chore to listen to. Who wants to hear someone talk about stuff they dislike for two hours?

I'll still catch the occasional Review-A-Wai, though, some of the shows they review are pretty interesting (and there's no callers).

They are very negative when the product is bad, but the show this week was very positive since they were coming off a great UFC and a good Survivor Series. What you need to remember is that Lovranski's default setting is 'hate' and he'll usually recant it right away when he's rebuffed.

Wai Ting is great though, and is always a voice of reason.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

Dave being into following the stock market at 8 years old somehow makes perfect sense.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

They are very negative when the product is bad, but the show this week was very positive since they were coming off a great UFC and a good Survivor Series. What you need to remember is that Lovranski's default setting is 'hate' and he'll usually recant it right away when he's rebuffed.

Wai Ting is great though, and is always a voice of reason.
I always thought the Agnew guy was more negative and annoying, he has a fit just over wrong answers to wrestling trivia questions.

I agree about Wai Ting though.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

savinhill posted:

I always thought the Agnew guy was more negative and annoying, he has a fit just over wrong answers to wrestling trivia questions.

Yeah that poo poo is loving aggravating. HOW DARE YOU NOT KNOW AS MUCH ABOUT WRESTLING AS US YOU GIANT MORONS.

But Wai is the man and John is cool so just skip the LAW proper and listen to Review a Wai/Raw/Impact.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Just a heads up, Grantland's Masked Man launched episode 1 of his new podcast today. It's about Survivor Series (both the recent one, and ones in the past.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

Does anyone know anything about the QB test in the NFL thing Dave was talking about? I have no idea.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

ChampRamp posted:

Does anyone know anything about the QB test in the NFL thing Dave was talking about? I have no idea.
I didn't hear it mentioned in the Raw recap show, but was it the Wonderlic?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonderlic_Test#Use_in_the_NFL_Combine

e: Why couldn't you say drug test so I didn't look like a complete fool? :argh:

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 23, 2011

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I didn't hear it mentioned in the Raw recap show, but was it the Wonderlic?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonderlic_Test#Use_in_the_NFL_Combine

e: Why couldn't you say drug test so I didn't look like a complete fool? :argh:

No, it's fine. I should have mentioned in the breaking news.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Anyway I have absolutely no idea what he's talking about with this very old DC television report about NFL QBs testing positive that was ultimately shown to be true.
But nobody cares about steroids outside of baseball so I can totally believe this happened and the media moved on.

Based on context it may have come up during the Waxman hearings.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Apropos of nothing, I didn't notice all of Dave's "Y'know"s before reading this thread but now it's all I hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

is that After Dark Radio stuff as embarassing as it sounds

I like how the forum for it on f4w has a no trolling rule

• Locked thread