Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Biowarfare posted:

I mean literally just use that search string. Google's API also returns the same thing.

It'll give you the external IP it finds without the BS of the others, and really doubt it's ever going to go down.

In addition to whatismyip.org and Google you might as well fetch the results from a few others and compare them :tinfoil:. If all of them go down it won't matter because the world is probably ending.

fletcher fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

jlechem posted:

Just finished version 2.0 of the IP Viewer, it keeps track of your ip address (internal/external). Windows only I'm afraid since I used MFC to write the drat thing.

The app and some code.

What did font smoothing ever do to you?

jlechem
Nov 2, 2011

Fun Shoe

Biowarfare posted:

I mean literally just use that search string. Google's API also returns the same thing.

It'll give you the external IP it finds without the BS of the others, and really doubt it's ever going to go down.

I've never checked into their API, I use that site because it returns a very small easy to parse string with your IP. I will look into the Google, anything that makes the code better works for me!

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Bob Morales posted:

What did font smoothing ever do to you?
Personally, it's ruined my enlarge and rotate attempts due to that color-based anti-aliasing silliness!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

clockwork automaton posted:

Post video of stuff you are done working on.

From this year's OSGCC (24 hour game competition) placed 3rd. There's actually sound but I couldn't be bothered to try and get it working in the capture stuff I was using.

The christmas ball type things are health potions (I am not an artist). Pygame and python since we were working with a first year participant who didn't know D and I didn't want to be cruel and make them learn openGL when neither of my team members had done it before.

It actually has networked multiplayer so you get multiple sheep running around attacking ghosts, and yes sheep can hurt other sheep and that was everyone's favorite thing to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsWhWeWthAE

source is anyone is interested. The source is horrible, but you can download and play if you have python, pygame, and whatever other dependencies.

^Poster is a horrible jerk and my team's game was totally better despite its score being 7 points lower and I'm really just bitter enough to crawl out of the woodwork and post my stuff for once

We made this flippin' sweet bullet hell game with animated sprites and poo poo (it is also Python/Pygame)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCLaTQTVcCU

Source (oh my god don't make fun our source we were awake for a very long time) / And there's a .exe somewhere in this zip if you want to save some time

And the best part of Clockwork Automaton's game was the sound, so it's a huge bummer it doesn't work in her vid. She's still a jerk for beating us.

edit: :colbert:

Sockser fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 9, 2011

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

Sockser posted:

^Poster is a horrible jerk and my team's game was totally better despite its score being 7 points lower and I'm really just bitter enough to crawl out of the woodwork and post my stuff for once

We made this flippin' sweet bullet hell game with animated sprites and poo poo (it is also Python/Pygame)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCLaTQTVcCU

Source (oh my god don't make fun our source we were awake for a very long time) / And there's a .exe somewhere in this zip if you want to save some time

And the best part of Clockwork Automaton's game was the sound, so it's a huge bummer it doesn't work in her vid. She's still a jerk for beating us.

edit: :colbert:

I seriously loved your game. So it's really unfortunate I was forced into competing over judging.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Part of the problem is we presented first and just kinda stood there like jackasses.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

Sockser posted:

Part of the problem is we presented first and just kinda stood there like jackasses.

Honestly, all the scores were all very close from what I can tell. :) I'm talking with the judges about trying to get more prizes in the future so you get rewarded for doing awesome stuff like this, because it is awesome. Find me (or Joe [the tall judge]) in the hallways and I'll give you a high-five.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

I'm teaching myself Rails Engines and rather than be like everyone else and make a blog, I made a guestbook! :v:

Engine: http://github.com/tomjakubowski/restbook
Demo: http://restbook-demo.herokuapp.com/

The engine is kinda dumb (no auth model, comments can't be deleted or edited) but I feel like it functions about as well as Generic CGI Guestbook circa 1999 and I think that's good enough for now! I learned a lot about Rails and engines and gems and stuff too so yay :shobon:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

clockwork automaton posted:

Honestly, all the scores were all very close from what I can tell. :) I'm talking with the judges about trying to get more prizes in the future so you get rewarded for doing awesome stuff like this, because it is awesome. Find me (or Joe [the tall judge]) in the hallways and I'll give you a high-five.

I'm not taking classes this semester (Co-op rotations, woo) so that'd be a pain.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

Is D a common language for game dev? I've barely even heard of it.

Not exactly common, but there's quite a few Japanese games written in it.
Kenta Cho loves D for an example, and here's two of his games written in it:

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/windows/tt_e.html
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/windows/tf_e.html

There's several more here: http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/index_e.html (and quite a few games written in other languages as well)

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!
Couple of my friends have been hosting a movie night for a few years now, I figured it's the perfect opportunity to stay fresh with Django by creating a living record of the movies they've watched.

Here's the page for each 'event' which features info from the movie, as well as still frames and art. Each of the actors is a clickable link showing where else that actor has made an appearance at movie night.
(Are we allowed to break tables in this thread?)

Meanwhile, I thought, I've got this cool data source! What can I do with it? I've started by building radar charts based on the genres of the movie in HTML5:

This was all built over the weekend, and it's been a real interesting project.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

What is the graph meant to show? Frequency of each type of movie (ordered radially by something)?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Let's make threads serializable! :suicide:

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Frozen-Solid posted:

I've started work on a version free of proprietary company functions. Right now all it can do is load an XML configuration file, but the rest will start coming fast. Hopefully it will be able to start running tests tomorrow.

http://sourceforge.net/p/everythingslow/

Most of my work tonight was setting up a VS2010 development environment on my Laptop :(

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!

Ephphatha posted:

What is the graph meant to show? Frequency of each type of movie (ordered radially by something)?

Yep, a bigger spike means more frequent.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
I was looking at the Wiki article about TinyBASIC, and it occurred to me that aside from expression parsing a BASIC program could be mangled into source for my Forth compiler with only a few fairly minor text transformations. A few hours later, and behold:
code:
 10 PRINT "I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10..."
 20 LET num = RND(10)+1
 30 PRINT "What's your guess?"
 40 INPUT guess
 50 IF guess<num THEN GOTO 90
 60 IF guess>num THEN GOTO 110
 70 PRINT "Correct! You Win!"
 80 END
 90 PRINT "Nope, too low."
100 GOTO 30
110 PRINT "Nah, too high."
120 GOTO 30
code:
:var num
:var guess
:include "BasicLib.fs"
: main 
: line10 "I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10..." prints cr 
: line20 10 rnd 1 + num ! 
: line30 "What's your guess?" prints cr 
: line40 input guess ! 
: line50 guess @ num @ < if :proto line90 ' line90 goto then 
: line60 guess @ num @ > if :proto line110 ' line110 goto then 
: line70 "Correct! You Win!" prints cr 
: line80 halt
: line90 "Nope, too low." prints cr 
: line100 ' line30 goto 
: line110 "Nah, too high." prints cr 
: line120 ' line30 goto 
halt
code:
I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10...
What's your guess?
Nope, too low.
What's your guess?
Nah, too high.
What's your guess?
Correct! You Win!
The source is here- it's really very simple.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Parametric 3D models of generic project enclosures generated with python script in FreeCAD.

The idea is to generate models to be printed on a 3D printer such as a RepRap.

Plus, you can put your WEED in there! :2bong:

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
Over the weekend I was digging through some old boxes and found this:

It's an Apple //c, and was my first computer. The case is pretty oxidized and I apparently didn't care about keyboard cleanliness back when I was in gradeschool, but it was just cool to see it again. It had a copy of AppleWorks still in the 5.25" floppy drive but unfortunately it doesn't turn on anymore.

How hard can it be to emulate a piece of mid-80's technology, I wondered. Welp, it turns out you have to read a lot of very blurry PDF's of old manuals and scrape opcode listings off websites and beat them into tabular format, but tonight this happened:
code:
*** Start ***
Reset to vector 0xFA62
0xFA62|D8: CLD                      A:00 X:00 Y:00 Z:08 S:FF
0xFA63|20: JSR Abs     (FE84), [A0] A:00 X:00 Y:00 Z:08 S:FD
0xFE84|A0: LDY Imm     (0000), [FF] A:00 X:00 Y:FF Z:8A S:FD
0xFE86|84: STY ZP      (0032), [00] A:00 X:00 Y:FF Z:8A S:FD
0xFE88|60: RTS                      A:00 X:00 Y:FF Z:8A S:FF
0xFA66|20: JSR Abs     (FB2F), [A9] A:00 X:00 Y:FF Z:8A S:FD
0xFB2F|A9: LDA Imm     (0000), [00] A:00 X:00 Y:FF Z:8A S:FD
0xFB31|85: STA ZP      (0048), [00] A:00 X:00 Y:FF Z:8A S:FD
0xFB33|AD: LDA Abs     (C056), [00] A:00 X:00 Y:FF Z:8A S:FD
0xFB36|AD: LDA Abs     (C054), [00] A:00 X:00 Y:FF Z:8A S:FD
0xFB39|AD: LDA Abs     (C051), [00] A:00 X:00 Y:FF Z:8A S:FD
0xFB3C|A9: LDA Imm     (0000), [00] A:00 X:00 Y:FF Z:8A S:FD
0xFB3E|F0: BEQ Rel     (0000), [0B] A:00 X:00 Y:FF Z:8A S:FD
0xFB4B|85: STA ZP      (0022), [00] A:00 X:00 Y:FF Z:8A S:FD
That's my emulator running the first few lines of the boot routine with the debug trace set up to act like a primitive on-the-fly disassembler. From left to right each line has the program counter, the hex opcode being executed, the opcode's mnemonic and memory access mode, optional addressing and byte value info, then the A, X, and Y registers, the Z register (status flags), and the S register (stack pointer).

It jumps to the hard-coded reset vector, clears the BCD flag, and then starts running some subroutines. The repetitive LDA statements near the end are pushing soft-switches on the $C0xx hardware page (soft-switches aren't implemented in the emulator yet). I've hit a bit of a hitch in that the ROM image I have doesn't 100% match the commented code listing in the manual which is going to make stepping through and debugging the thing a bitch. I'm also going to have to emulate some custom IC's that act as soft switches to flip between banked memory segments, etc.

Up to now it's been fun, I'll see how far I get with it before burning out or wandering off to some other stupid project. Playing Oregon Trail the way it was meant to be played is the eventual goal if I stick with it.

wil
Mar 2, 2009

jlechem posted:

Nothing that fancy,

http://checkip.dyndns.org/Current%20IP%20Check.htm

There really isn't a reliable ip check site, if this site or what is my ip goes down you're hosed

You could always use this: http://jsonip.com/

Will return the ip in json formatted string

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

PDP-1: That's totally awesome. Did you support the undocumented 6502 opcodes?

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Internet Janitor posted:

Did you support the undocumented 6502 opcodes?

I'm trying to. It's a bit complicated because there were several versions of the 6502 processor that handled things differently, and documentation is not always clear which version of the chip is being referred to. In a nutshell:

1) Original 6502 Design: Undocumented opcodes were truly undocumented, and might represent test functions to be used by the manufacturer. Programmers were warned away from ever using them. You know some did anyway.

2) 65C02 Model: This is what was used on the Apple //c and undefined opcodes are guaranteed to have no effect on the registers. However, the undefined opcodes could have side effects like incrementing the program counter by one or two bytes, and could take differing amounts of clock cycles to run. The byte/clock usage can be boiled down to a half-dozen bit patterns with different effects, so I tried to reproduce those faithfully.

3) Later models: Other versions of the 6502 architecture added a bunch of new opcodes, but these chips never appeared in an Apple product. You have to be aware of them though since some documentation will refer to codes that don't exist on the //c.

I made an Excel spreadsheet with all 256 possible codes and tried to fill it in as best I could. Then I exported that data into a Dictionary<opCode, opCodeData> within my program that lets me pull up info like clock cycles or mnemonic names on the fly. I'm just running with what I think to be a Apple //c era 65C02 representation for now but if something turns out to be wrong it's easy to modify.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Reverse Engineering the MOS 6502 CPU gives a good explanation of how the original 6502 works, and in particular why the undocumented opcodes function as they do.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
Did the same for the Acorn Electron (my first computer, and another 6502 based one at that) and it was a really fun exercise. :) So satisfying to see it boot, and also even though I used to program on that thing way back when, I was 6, and now I actually understand it.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

I needed to do dynamic graph layout for a project I'm working on, so I built a small prototype to allow me to boil the problem down to a clean, self-contained solution before I try to integrate it with the existing codebase. This program uses force-directed graph layout (in a nutshell, nodes repel each other with a force inversely proportional to the square of their distance and edges act as springs) and projects the graph onto 2d hyperbolic space, which gives you a nice focus/context view in a compact window. The whole thing works beautifully for trees:

Screenshots don't really do it justice, though. I highly recommend giving it a spin(Java). I've tried to keep the code straightforward and easy to follow.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
I hate Matlab:

So I'm developing a numerical processing tool IN THE CLOUD:

Testers welcome.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Where to tester this? :)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Biowarfare posted:

Where to tester this? :)

This does looks like it would be fun to play with.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Huragok posted:

I hate Matlab:

Testers welcome.

I hate Matlab too. I'd be more than willing to fiddle around with it.

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
Give me a mail at tristan / seditious-tech.com. Twitter Bootstrap is a godsend for developers while designers are off poncing around.

Huragok fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 19, 2011

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that
Released a public build of my game.

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=22847.0

Kinda nervous since this is the first public release. Need to do it at some point though.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
While I have no access to Windows and thus (I believe) no way to play your game, it's been awesome following along with your developing it.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

dangerz posted:

Released a public build of my game.

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=22847.0

Kinda nervous since this is the first public release. Need to do it at some point though.

I think I asked you before, but I'll ask again now since I will have about a month off before my next semester starts:

What kind of resources have you been using throughout this project and your minecraft-like project?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Not to answer for dangerz but have you checked out his blog? He talks about some implementation stuff if you page through the archives. http://dangerz.blogspot.com/

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Huragok posted:

So I'm developing a numerical processing tool IN THE CLOUD:

How does this compare to Sage notebooks?

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

Scaevolus posted:

How does this compare to Sage notebooks?

I haven't heard of Sage before (this is an spinoff of my phd research) but from what I've just looked at there are a few interesting things I think. It's kind of a fusion of Matlab and Github. There are built-in functions on the backend that utilise parallelized native (well, CLR) stubs. If it's not in there, you can pull someone else's public toolbox into your VM and use that. Same for data.

The interactive stuff is pretty neat and functions like a JS terminal would. The big thing is that mobile is getting huge these days and burning cycles on the mobile to do 'big data' is a no go. So (soon) you'll be able sync your data to the MATLAB CLOUD and run whatever calculations you need and pull the result out.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

pokeyman posted:

While I have no access to Windows and thus (I believe) no way to play your game, it's been awesome following along with your developing it.
Thanks dude, I appreciate that. It's been a lot of fun working on it. I tried switching to MonoGame, but the performance took such a huge hit. Even the title screen, which normally runs at 750fps since there's not much going on ended up dropping down to 150fps. I'm going to keep investigating that and I reinstalled Unity last night. I really want to make a cross-platform version.

TJChap2840 posted:

I think I asked you before, but I'll ask again now since I will have about a month off before my next semester starts:

What kind of resources have you been using throughout this project and your minecraft-like project?
Not sure what you mean by resources? Do you mean tutorials and such?

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

dangerz posted:

Not sure what you mean by resources? Do you mean tutorials and such?

Anything you may have used. Tutorials are handy but books help me understand the "How" more than just the "Do". Of course, I'm not looking for an exhaustive list, just same major things you may have poked through. Any help would be appreciated.

pokeyman posted:

Not to answer for dangerz but have you checked out his blog? He talks about some implementation stuff if you page through the archives. http://dangerz.blogspot.com/

I have, and it will be a great resource itself. :)

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

TJChap2840 posted:

Anything you may have used. Tutorials are handy but books help me understand the "How" more than just the "Do". Of course, I'm not looking for an exhaustive list, just same major things you may have poked through. Any help would be appreciated.
Ah ok. The only reference book I really used was "Learning XNA 4.0" by Aaron Reed. That got me started in XNA. Fortunately I do C# at work, so I already knew that. I thought the book was well written and gives you a good introduction to XNA, so I definitely recommend it.

Whenever I had a question, Google was obviously the first choice. If I couldn't find what I was looking for, the XNA forums at http://forums.create.msdn.com/forums/ usually provided lots of help. Those guys are XNA specific so I'd usually get better answers there than anywhere else.

If that didn't help, reddit's /r/gamedev, gamedev.net forums and the gamedev thread here on SA were my fallbacks.

Since AstroMiner is 2d, there really isn't much graphic programming going on there that XNA doesn't do for me. I'm focused 100% on the logic of the game itself and that's just vanilla C#.

For my Minecraft clone, I used some theories from the book "OpenGL Game Development" by Chris Seddon. Same grouping of forums that I listed earlier, but I was a lot more heavily involve in the XNA forums then. Google solved most all of my issues there because it seems like a lot more people blog about 3d games than 2d (probably cause they're much harder to write, so they're more interesting).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

dangerz posted:

Ah ok. The only reference book I really used was "Learning XNA 4.0" by Aaron Reed. That got me started in XNA. Fortunately I do C# at work, so I already knew that. I thought the book was well written and gives you a good introduction to XNA, so I definitely recommend it.

Whenever I had a question, Google was obviously the first choice. If I couldn't find what I was looking for, the XNA forums at http://forums.create.msdn.com/forums/ usually provided lots of help. Those guys are XNA specific so I'd usually get better answers there than anywhere else.

If that didn't help, reddit's /r/gamedev, gamedev.net forums and the gamedev thread here on SA were my fallbacks.

Since AstroMiner is 2d, there really isn't much graphic programming going on there that XNA doesn't do for me. I'm focused 100% on the logic of the game itself and that's just vanilla C#.

For my Minecraft clone, I used some theories from the book "OpenGL Game Development" by Chris Seddon. Same grouping of forums that I listed earlier, but I was a lot more heavily involve in the XNA forums then. Google solved most all of my issues there because it seems like a lot more people blog about 3d games than 2d (probably cause they're much harder to write, so they're more interesting).

Thanks a lot! While I can't say the same as you about having a job using C#, I can say that I have written a few applications using C# (one of which that has around 300,000 downloads). I'm just looking to improve upon my programming skills and find some new projects to work on.

More on topic:

This thread is excellent and inspirational. You guys blow me out of the water. Here is my meager offering.

I'm doing a rework of [url:"http://terrariviewer.codeplex.com"]THIS[/url] to branch out a bit within .NET. It previously used WinForms, but I was looking for something new, more adaptive, with more possibilities. I'm moving over to XAML. Here is a screen shot (use the link I posted as a before/after reference).