Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

prefect posted:

You guys need to stop taking all the Ritalin and Adderall; I can't get either of them from any pharmacies I've tried.

Seriously, I might not be able to afford much of my adderall right now but I've had to wait half a week just for them to restock!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG
My doctor put me on focalin because the daytrana started making my skin burn and nobody has adderall in stock. Of course, nobody has focalin either now.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Oh, this better not affect my Metadate...

Please don't mess with literally the only ADHD drug out there that doesn't totally and completely gently caress me up :ohdear:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

mattdev posted:

I do have a question, about alcohol. Do any of you drink and take stimulants? He mentioned on the phone that I may need to quit drinking depending on the medication, and this has me a bit worried. I work in the alcohol industry and my job pretty much depends on me drinking quite often (almost never in excess, just a drink or 2 about 5 nights a week). Is this going to be a serious problem?

I don't drink at all. Others do. If it really is just one or two, you should be ok. But the meds might make it really easy to have "just one more," so you need to keep that in mind. And really, drinking five nights a week is probably exacerbating your ADHD.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

And really, drinking five nights a week is probably exacerbating your ADHD.

I've gone for long periods with and without alcohol and haven't noticed any real difference to be honest. I have a pretty low tolerance to alcohol in general, so I don't see myself exceeding that limit.

It's just really tricky because drinking is such a quintessential aspect of my job :/

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

mattdev posted:

I've gone for long periods with and without alcohol and haven't noticed any real difference to be honest. I have a pretty low tolerance to alcohol in general, so I don't see myself exceeding that limit.

It's just really tricky because drinking is such a quintessential aspect of my job :/

If I can ask, what do you do?

Re: the alcohol, definitely talk to your doctor about it. When I got evaluated for drugs, my doc asked about my alcohol usage. Personally, I barely drink, but that's because of a non-ADHD medication I'm on, called Baclofen.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Qu Appelle posted:

If I can ask, what do you do?

Restaurant/Bar event planning and PR.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
The reason why it is an issue is because chronic (even low-level, if it's regular i.e. more days drinking than not) alcohol use plays with your dopamine levels so that in the long run they end up being lower and your body becomes less able to regulate them. ADHD is something that stems directly from your dopamine levels being out of whack, so the medications prescribed are chemicals that raise the levels of dopamine in your brain (stimulants.)

As you can probably figure out, doing one thing that lowers your dopamine levels every day, and then taking a pill to raise them, is not exactly the best thing for your mental health. Definitely mention your job and drinking obligations (they probably aren't as big obligations as you think, nobody will care if you say "hey, my medication interacts with alcohol so I'll just have a Coke") to your doctor when you talk to them about ADHD.

I've found that nobody gives a poo poo that I am not drinking after they have had their first beer or drink because alcohol makes them not give a poo poo about anything. Then the next day they forget that you weren't drinking and assume you were. It's pretty funny actually.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 15, 2011

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Qu Appelle posted:

Oh, this better not affect my Metadate...

Please don't mess with literally the only ADHD drug out there that doesn't totally and completely gently caress me up :ohdear:

We haven't had any trouble stocking extended release methylphenidate at my pharmacy

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

The reason why it is an issue is because chronic (even low-level, if it's regular i.e. more days drinking than not) alcohol use plays with your dopamine levels so that in the long run they end up being lower and your body becomes less able to regulate them. ADHD is something that stems directly from your dopamine levels being out of whack, so the medications prescribed are chemicals that raise the levels of dopamine in your brain (stimulants.)

Oh gently caress is this true?! 'Cos I like my beer. I even homebrew my own and plan to brew this weekend even. :( When I brew a batch, I usually have 1, sometimes 2 beers with dinner. On the weekend, that goes up to 2-4. That's depending on how strong the batch I made is.

I don't know if it's placebo or not, but I feel like my medication lately has been working a smidge better the last few days. Coincidentally, I ran out of beer last Friday and haven't bought any since then so I can buy equipment to brew.

---

How widespread is this Adderall shortage anyways? I'm scared man! My psych has been writing me a poo poo load of prescriptions. But, that won't do me any good if I can't get the stuff. :( At least on the plus side, my last bottle ran out yesterday but I forgot that I filled one of the prescriptions the psych wrote me when I last saw him.

I checked my cabinet and was joyed to find a full bottle ready to go. Sweet! I hope this shortage eases up when my new bottle runs out...

---

Speaking of drug interactions, how does weed affect adderall effectiveness? I work two programming jobs. One full time job during the day and a part time gig at night. Well, the Adderall works great for the day job, but at night, it's usually wearing off. I'd like to take another dose of Adderall, but obviously, that'd be abusing it since the doc only says to take one pill a day (split in two doses).

I'd like to start maybe smoking a little weed to regain that focus. I'd also benefit from the side effect of the weed making me tired. A lot of times, I have trouble going to bed because my mind is doing that typical ADHD going a mile a minute thing. Lame.

Dolemite fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 15, 2011

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

mattdev posted:

Restaurant/Bar event planning and PR.

You really don't have to drink, you're choosing to drink. If you were to start a 12 step program it wouldn't be grounds for termination. That's pretty much going to be my only allusion to a potential drinking problem, but it is worth talking to your psych about needing to drink to work. As an example- Is it anxiety? ADHD treatment can help with that. etc. etc.

In short, its a bad idea to drink that much regularly with medication, and probably exacerbates the ADHD anyway.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

signalnoise posted:

We haven't had any trouble stocking extended release methylphenidate at my pharmacy

Thank you. I will now erect a shrine to your god, and perform the appropriate sacrifice.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Dolemite posted:

Speaking of drug interactions, how does weed affect adderall effectiveness? I work two programming jobs. One full time job during the day and a part time gig at night. Well, the Adderall works great for the day job, but at night, it's usually wearing off. I'd like to take another dose of Adderall, but obviously, that'd be abusing it since the doc only says to take one pill a day (split in two doses).

I'd like to start maybe smoking a little weed to regain that focus. I'd also benefit from the side effect of the weed making me tired. A lot of times, I have trouble going to bed because my mind is doing that typical ADHD going a mile a minute thing. Lame.

I'm sure I'll get a lot of flak for saying this but in small doses, i.e. not recreational dosages, just one tiny hit, weed works great, for exactly the reasons you mention. My high-school shrink basically told me that this works better than an evening stimulant dose. Of course back then I was super against DRUGS but I loved alcohol, so it took me a while to test this, but it definitely works and it's a pretty common consensus among the people I know with ADD. Depends on the strain though, you want something on the sativa side. Note that I do not advocate doing anything illegal (of course there are plenty of places where this isn't illegal...)

It also helps to have some standardized method of dosing it other than smoking, i.e. edibles or a tincture.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 16, 2011

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

TheBigBad posted:

You really don't have to drink, you're choosing to drink. If you were to start a 12 step program it wouldn't be grounds for termination. That's pretty much going to be my only allusion to a potential drinking problem, but it is worth talking to your psych about needing to drink to work. As an example- Is it anxiety? ADHD treatment can help with that. etc. etc.

Nah, I really am required to drink. For example, just tonight I was required to attend a private media tasting for a specific brewery's holiday offerings so that I could promote it. I can't just order a coke in that situation. It would make a lot more sense if I were more specific about my job but for privacy reasons, I'd rather not post a lot about it on the forums. If you're really curious about it, feel free to PM or IM me.

I had the doctor's appointment today and he siad that while he recommends that I avoid alcohol entirely, the off the record statement is that it's not a huge deal if I drink small amounts in moderation. I should just make sure to not drink within 4 hours of taking medication.

I was prescribed dextroamphetamine and will be taking it in small 5mg doses twice per day. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? What should I expect?

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

Dolemite posted:

How widespread is this Adderall shortage anyways? I'm scared man! My psych has been writing me a poo poo load of prescriptions. But, that won't do me any good if I can't get the stuff. :( At least on the plus side, my last bottle ran out yesterday but I forgot that I filled one of the prescriptions the psych wrote me when I last saw him.

I've had to drive about 100 miles and pay $98 instead of $40-something the past 2 months. The big chains seem to always be out, try the mom and pop pharmacies if you can't find it but expect to pay more. I've heard that January it might ease up, something with the DEA releasing more then.

mattdev posted:

Nah, I really am required to drink. For example, just tonight I was required to attend a private media tasting for a specific brewery's holiday offerings so that I could promote it. I can't just order a coke in that situation. It would make a lot more sense if I were more specific about my job but for privacy reasons, I'd rather not post a lot about it on the forums. If you're really curious about it, feel free to PM or IM me.

I thought with alcohol tastings you weren't supposed to swallow. Maybe that's wine. I don't know, to us it sounds like you have the option to drink and you see it as an obligation. But a tasting would just be a small amount and not matter at all anyway and it's your choice and not ours so whatever.

I used to like to drink occasionally but with Adderall I think I've drank about twice in 6-9 months. I just kind of lost interest in it. I seemed to have a higher tolerance than most before anyway but it just does nothing at all for me now.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

mattdev posted:

I had the doctor's appointment today and he siad that while he recommends that I avoid alcohol entirely, the off the record statement is that it's not a huge deal if I drink small amounts in moderation. I should just make sure to not drink within 4 hours of taking medication.

I was prescribed dextroamphetamine and will be taking it in small 5mg doses twice per day. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? What should I expect?

Most people agree it's better than adderall. You should expect to be focused without even trying for the first week or two, followed by being able to focus when you try to in the long run.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Most people agree it's better than adderall. You should expect to be focused without even trying for the first week or two, followed by being able to focus when you try to in the long run.

Depends, I had a bad reaction to it despite Adderall XR being the wonderdrug for me. Might just be the fillers, or hell even my mind playing tricks on me but doesn't it take trying a few different ones to find the one that works for you?

When I was on Dex I can down super hard and would start having weird chest pains. I've had stress so bad that the muscles/whatever between my ribs started to ache bad enough that I thought it was some sort of heart attack. If you have to take the instant release, then make sure you take your second pill before the first wears off, and if possible, a lower dose if you're finding it hard to come down at 5pm and just cry all night.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

First day of dextroamphetamine and this is how I feel.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

mattdev posted:

First day of dextroamphetamine and this is how I feel.

Sounds about right, if it doesn't level off in a day or so, call your doc.

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008
Does anyone know of some good, generic ADD medication? I haven't been on any medication since last year when my health insurance under my parents expired due to my age, and I've been trying to get by without it. Going by how I've dropped 2 out of 4 classes this semester, it's not working too well.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Before the DEA thing happened, generic adderall (10mg, twice daily) ran me 30$/month at Costco (no membership necessary for the pharmacy). God knows how much it is now, I havent even bothered calling to see if they have it in stock, let alone the cash pay price.

taylor
Nov 21, 2004
Are you allowed to buy schedules prescription drugs from other countries, or is that always illegal? Because only the USA has shot itself in the foot the weird laws + incompetence thing. There is no shortage whatsoever in Canada.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Lt. Dans Legs posted:

Does anyone know of some good, generic ADD medication? I haven't been on any medication since last year when my health insurance under my parents expired due to my age, and I've been trying to get by without it. Going by how I've dropped 2 out of 4 classes this semester, it's not working too well.

My clonidine, which is a non stimulant medication, runs me 8 bucks a month without insurance applied.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So I probably have ADD, and am in a test program where I take 1 tablet of some knock-off ritalin brand (10mg m.phenidate) 3 times a day for a week, which I have, and as of today I take 3x2 tablets a day instead.

Those of you with ADD or related diagnoses: How long did it take for you to feel a change for the better, if the mp treatment worked for you?

I come from a background of anxiety, depression and substance abuse, but as of today I've been clear from everything but the ritalin and the occasional alcohol binge (yes, I am aware that this may keep me from feeling the effects of the ritalin, and yes, I do everything in my power to do it as little as possible.) for nearly a month.

I seem to feel much more able to 'think on my feet' and do some of the things I plan to do, which sounds lame but it is a pretty big improvement in my life. I guess I primarily wonder if I am going to feel MUCH better in the two weeks of treatment (I have to tell my psych if I feel it works or not in a week, and it seems like a really hard and odd question), and what side effects I can experience? I have some sleep issues and a bit of over-stimulation if I don't eat enough while taking it, but other than that I seem like myself.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
I could tell almost instantly (within 30m). I posted a trip report of sorts in this thread.

My pharmacy is out of my meds. I know I can't afford whatever pharmacy that has them is charging so...

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 18, 2011

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

I could also notice a difference within about 20 minutes of taking my first pill. I work from home and I basically finished all of my day's tasks in about 4 hours, and those same tasks typically take 9 or 10. After that, I spent the remainder of the day cleaning up the house and taking care of chores that I had been putting off for 6-8 months. After my girlfriend came home from work, all she could say was "What the gently caress happened to my boyfriend?!"

Later that evening, I went to one of these networking events for work where I'm forced to talk to a bunch of people that talk about things I have zero interest in. In the past, I would sort of zone out and couldn't focus on anything they were saying (this happened with people whom I really had interest in talking to as well), but I was able to retain pretty much every single word that came out of their mouths. In the past, I would get extremely irate and impatient on the inside, but I wasn't bothered at all.

I am getting hit hard with some of the side effects, though. I know appetite suppression is a common one and it's pretty bizarre because in the past, I was known for having a WAY above average appetite. Now, I don't have much desire to eat at all and I need to really plan out my meals around the medication.

The other one that's hitting me hard is the insomnia. I'm really hoping that this is transient and will mellow out in the future because I haven't been able to fall asleep until 4am and my body is naturally waking up at 7am. I don't feel tired or anything, but I just can't sleep.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I feel as if it easier to think about my chores and make plans, but I still don't get them done - It is easier to concentrate and think about doing some of them, and I just feel better. I don't know, though, I've always heard stories like yours and assumed it was either a great improvement or the wrong med for me..

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
Ritalin is more likely to lend itself to thinking/planning than say going around your house accomplishing chores full of energy and feeling great about it. Obv not cut and dry, but amphetamines are more likely to cause that

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Tias posted:

I feel as if it easier to think about my chores and make plans, but I still don't get them done - It is easier to concentrate and think about doing some of them, and I just feel better. I don't know, though, I've always heard stories like yours and assumed it was either a great improvement or the wrong med for me..
I posted this in the MH thread, but I'll add a bit here. I was in a similar spot when I started taking adderall, told my doctor what I told you to say, and he upped me. The upped dosage did help, but its still a lot of footwork to get all my stuff done because doing boring adult stuff is still boring.

Do you make to-do lists? My to do lists are so broken down and simple it borders on ridiculous. I don't set out to "clean the kitchen", I set out to "wash dishes", "wipe counters" "wipe stove" "sweep" "take out trash." Google calendars basically controls my entire life because it syncs my work/school schedule, along with reminders of when my bills are due, appointments, etc. I also keep a small notebook in my bag for random "I should do this" thoughts.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

2508084 posted:

I posted this in the MH thread, but I'll add a bit here. I was in a similar spot when I started taking adderall, told my doctor what I told you to say, and he upped me. The upped dosage did help, but its still a lot of footwork to get all my stuff done because doing boring adult stuff is still boring.

Do you make to-do lists? My to do lists are so broken down and simple it borders on ridiculous. I don't set out to "clean the kitchen", I set out to "wash dishes", "wipe counters" "wipe stove" "sweep" "take out trash." Google calendars basically controls my entire life because it syncs my work/school schedule, along with reminders of when my bills are due, appointments, etc. I also keep a small notebook in my bag for random "I should do this" thoughts.

I do this with my phone, but I often forget to have my phone with me

Tias
May 25, 2008

2508084 posted:

I don't, and I know I should, but I'm not even at the place where I can stop being depressed I can't do anything and find the energy to write them. And as I said the ritalin hasn't changed that although I concentrate somewhat better and feel a little happier on it - however, that could just be an amphetamine buzz, could it not? I used to abuse speed because it improved my mood or to get out of bed.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

It's cool man, I take opioids for severe back and shoulder tension and I mean, I need it to be able to work more than 4 hours at a time at my job, but I also have to recognize that it makes the time go by faster, and I am happier with it. I can't be sure whether it's because the pain is gone or because I'm taking painkillers. I'm sure it's at least in part because the pain is gone though. In the end it doesn't really matter and as long as I can sustain it, I'll take whatever makes me happy. If ritalin makes you happy, in this goon's opinion it's nice to know you've found something that helps.

Do you have anything that is actually prescribed for the depression? I am pretty much suicidal without mine. I recognized the problem and got help to fix that. I recommend anyone who feels bad to do the same. Feeling bad sucks. You shouldn't blind yourself to your problems of course, but I prefer the neosporin with pain relief. Pain sucks, depression sucks.

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
MP isn't really a very dangerous or euphoric stimulant, generally. I wouldn't be too worried, but also don't be disappointed if it stops giving such positive effects after a bit.
Get to a doctor for that depression though, for real. Or even order some antidepressants online if you really, really can't afford a doc visit.
Wellbutrin and Abilify are both strong, motivating antidepressants which work on dopamine, just as ritalin does.

Zoloft is a good SSRI with a bit of dopamine action too.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

2508084 posted:

exactly what I do. Even "unload dishwasher" "reload dishwasher" and "run dishwasher" and I have to make boxes in front of each task and x the box when I am done. It sounds silly but it leads to a sense of accomplishment and pride and I can see how much I have gotten done or have left to do in a visual way. And it opens up some sort of competitive thing in me which makes me more motivated.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

You have to combine the medication with cbt, because the drugs are going to stop working. This is an eventual fact for most people.

Lists are pretty magical. The power of writing something down will give you the motivation to do it- it is amazing.

Don't start with trying to motivate yourself to write down an entire list of everything you 'should' be accomplishing. Instead just pick three things, even as simple as we're suggesting. Write them down. Wash dishes, vacuum living room, walk dog. Then do them, and feel good about crossing them off. Keep repeating this until you have momentum and can add more to your list or add more complicated tasks.

To think of your brain as a static organ is silly. Reprogram your brain, the drugs help, but you can also form habits and acquire expertise/mastery like any normie.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

I make a zillion lists at work.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I thought about getting back into antidepressives, but yeah, I've been there and it really really sucked (tried a regimen of citalopram and cymbalta, and both hosed me up horribly - put on weight, got painful boils and rashes all over and got even more depressed to the point of suicide thoughts and great lethargy), so I swore never to do it again, and with my personal trainer (who's a dietist and kinesiologist and all-around awesome) I got off it cold turkey and had a full three months of horrible withdrawals.

Been off meds (save ritalin and the drug/alcohol abuse) for almost a year and I feel much better off for it. However, I am coming to embrace the fact that I might have to take other meds of some sort, especially when I start therapy in january. In my experience, starting to work with depression and past trauma make me abuse and feel sadsacky a lot more than usual.

Tias fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 21, 2011

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I dunno about you guys but for me, the act of writing something down or telling someone to remind me about something improves my chance of remembering it like tenfold or so.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

signalnoise posted:

I dunno about you guys but for me, the act of writing something down or telling someone to remind me about something improves my chance of remembering it like tenfold or so.

Absolutely. I take notes in every meeting I go to, not so I can read them later (I almost never do), but because writing them down gets them into my brain better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah, the lists I make aren't even proper lists half the time - usually I have a pretty good idea of what I will remember, and what I will not. So I just scribble down all the poo poo I think I won't remember, and then I remember it! Usually without even looking at the list again; the act of writing it ingrained it in my mind.