Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Boffo Beach Babe!!! posted:

I know it's probably been discussed a handful of times throughout the life of this thread, but does anyone have any recommendations for a quality dumbphone? Search seems to parse every instance of the word 'dumbphone' and kinda defeats the purpose.

My sister wants to get something new, but doesn't really care for smart phones or the added cost of a data plan. Her only requisites are no flip phone, and have a keyboard.

On Verizon, shes up for an upgrade BUT I'd rather have her hold on to it (and offer it to me, on the family plan) and just buy the handset from some internet retailer and have Verizon activate it with her number - they can do that, right?

You'd be much better off buying a smartphone with an upgrade, selling it, buying a used keyboard phone for ~50 bucks. But yeah you're right, don't waste an upgrade on a non smartphone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

maverick99 posted:

Do we know when the double data plan deal will end? I'm waiting for the Nexus, but I really don't want to miss out on it.
I don't think Verizon has said anything other than "through the holidays", but that should guarantee you to at least Dec. 25 I would think.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

I know it's probably been discussed a handful of times throughout the life of this thread, but does anyone have any recommendations for a quality dumbphone? Search seems to parse every instance of the word 'dumbphone' and kinda defeats the purpose.

My sister wants to get something new, but doesn't really care for smart phones or the added cost of a data plan. Her only requisites are no flip phone, and have a keyboard.

On Verizon, shes up for an upgrade BUT I'd rather have her hold on to it (and offer it to me, on the family plan) and just buy the handset from some internet retailer and have Verizon activate it with her number - they can do that, right?

I would honestly just buy an Env3 off ebay or something.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I've been out of the loop the past week or so, has the Verizon Galaxy Nexus received a firm release date yet?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

wandler20 posted:

I've been out of the loop the past week or so, has the Verizon Galaxy Nexus received a firm release date yet?

Nope.

Latest rumors we have is current software testing cycle ends the 19th with a possible 28th release date.

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008
My DX has been überfucked lately, with broken hardware buttons and sluggish behavior, so I'm looking to upgrade to either an iPhone 4S or a Galaxy Nexus. I'd stopped considering the Razr and Rezound because a.) the Razr's screen looked like poo poo when I saw it in the store (at least compared to the iPhone...), and I don't really trust the Rezound to be a great phone.

I'm interested in the Gnex mostly because of ICS - I've liked Android as a platform with my Droid X, but it's been too buggy, and I am really looking for something with more polish that might be slightly more pleasant/easier to use.

Unfortunately, the Gnex is a.) not around, so I can't see the screen, and b.) probably $100 more than the iPhone (don't care about storage space).

My questions are twofold: 1.) What sort of Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals might Verizon have on phones - money is an issue for me, so a huge deal on a phone could sway me.

2.) Is it worth waiting around for the Galaxy Nexus, given my problems with the Razr's screen (I had never noticed a penTile screen before, but the whites on it looked terrible compared to the iPhone) ,and the fact that it won't be out for a while/is more expensive?

What do goons think?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

firebad57 posted:

My DX has been überfucked lately, with broken hardware buttons and sluggish behavior, so I'm looking to upgrade to either an iPhone 4S or a Galaxy Nexus. I'd stopped considering the Razr and Rezound because a.) the Razr's screen looked like poo poo when I saw it in the store (at least compared to the iPhone...), and I don't really trust the Rezound to be a great phone.

I'm interested in the Gnex mostly because of ICS - I've liked Android as a platform with my Droid X, but it's been too buggy, and I am really looking for something with more polish that might be slightly more pleasant/easier to use.

Unfortunately, the Gnex is a.) not around, so I can't see the screen, and b.) probably $100 more than the iPhone (don't care about storage space).

My questions are twofold: 1.) What sort of Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals might Verizon have on phones - money is an issue for me, so a huge deal on a phone could sway me.

2.) Is it worth waiting around for the Galaxy Nexus, given my problems with the Razr's screen (I had never noticed a penTile screen before, but the whites on it looked terrible compared to the iPhone) ,and the fact that it won't be out for a while/is more expensive?

What do goons think?

If you can hold off until the Nexus release to compare the phones (most likely 7-10 days at the most), the worst that'll happen is that you'll settle on something you could have had earlier. If the DX can hang on that long, it seems like a no-brainer to wait, since all the Nexus reviews have been glowing.

For what it's worth, the Rezound has been getting good reviews—if it weren't for the upcoming Nexus, it would probably be the automatic phone of choice on Verizon right now.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

firebad57 posted:

What do goons think?

The Galaxy Nexus will be the Android phone to buy. Josh Topolsky loves it and it seems really stupid to worry about ~$100 toward the initial price of the phone given the monthly contract you're going to be paying.

I would absolutely not buy any other Android phone than the Galaxy Nexus if you're on Verizon.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Am I the only one to never be impressed by any of the galaxy phones? I really can't pinpoint what it is - they have great specs so it was never that.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

JP Money posted:

Am I the only one to never be impressed by any of the galaxy phones? I really can't pinpoint what it is - they have great specs so it was never that.

I agree, I like the specs but the size is a negative. 4.6" may not be that much bigger than 4.3" but it sure sounds like a jump.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

WeaselWeaz posted:

I agree, I like the specs but the size is a negative. 4.6" may not be that much bigger than 4.3" but it sure sounds like a jump.

It's apparently hardly any bigger than other 4.3" phones due to that 4.6" figure including the portion of the screen set aside for software buttons. In the end it's more or less a wash.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

WeaselWeaz posted:

A portion of the 4.65" is devoted to space for the on screen buttons. That's why there is less of a size jump for a 4.3" to 4.65" screen than you would expect.

Edit: welp

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's still actually a decent chunk larger than the rest of Verizon's 4.3in devices.

http://phone-size.com/

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

WeaselWeaz posted:

I was loving SHOCKED picking up my RAZR at first. I came from the tiny little eris which wasn't too small of a phone at the time. Using the RAZR is almost comical at times - it feels like a mini iPad.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

It's still actually a decent chunk larger than the rest of Verizon's 4.3in devices.

http://phone-size.com/

http://phone-size.com/?s=3%2C22%2C49

5 mm or so taller than the two most recent phones (RAZR and Rezound), which translates to less than a quarter of an inch, and it's actually a millimeter narrower than the RAZR. Even the Droid X/X2 are only about a third of an inch shorter, and essentially the same width (the X/X2 are 3 mm narrower).

A noticeable difference, to be sure, but this is hardly going to have the thing sticking out of pockets.

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!
Don't forget the 4.6 inch value refers to screen size and has little bearing on the width in your hand. The MUCH thinner bezel means the nexus is only a single millimeter wider than the Bionic I'm using now. And 2 mm thinner!

Most of the Nexus' extra size comes in height, not width - and most of that is extra size padding around the mic/speaker. Not going to be significant to how it fits in your hand or pocket (unless you've got shallow rear end pockets)

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So I have a grandfathered ATT data plan. Interested in Verizon's service and fast as gently caress LTE. Am I stupid for even entertaining this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Verizon-Wireless-UNLIMITED-DATA-PLAN-3G-4G-iPhone-Razr-Bionic-Galaxy-Nexus-/360410218878#ht_500wt_1202

It's a grandfathered unlimited with unlimited tether option for $400. The seller says you can change your number once you buy it (have had my ATT number for 11 yrs and want to keep it).

Is this a good idea if I happen to find $400 lying around? Will this enable me to upgrade to the GNEX at the subsidized price?

Fake edit: my usage varies, but hovers on the high side so a tiered plan doesn't interest me one bit. I don't want to worry every time I use my data that I'm going to hit my cap.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

hotsauce posted:

So I have a grandfathered ATT data plan. Interested in Verizon's service and fast as gently caress LTE. Am I stupid for even entertaining this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Verizon-Wireless-UNLIMITED-DATA-PLAN-3G-4G-iPhone-Razr-Bionic-Galaxy-Nexus-/360410218878#ht_500wt_1202

It's a grandfathered unlimited with unlimited tether option for $400. The seller says you can change your number once you buy it (have had my ATT number for 11 yrs and want to keep it).

Is this a good idea if I happen to find $400 lying around? Will this enable me to upgrade to the GNEX at the subsidized price?

Fake edit: my usage varies, but hovers on the high side so a tiered plan doesn't interest me one bit. I don't want to worry every time I use my data that I'm going to hit my cap.

I could be remembering wrong, but I could swear that this came up in this thread before, and it was determined that doing an AoL would force the new account owner onto tiered data.

edit: if you're super-interested in hopping onto Verizon, though, they are running a "double data" promotion right now. Not unlimited, but a little less of a kick in the balls than 2 GB.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I'm starting a job with a company that has a modest (17%) discount on plans with Verizon. I've been a Verizon customer for a little more than four years and have some sort of super cheap loyalty plan with really low minutes.

I'm pretty interested in (finally) getting a smartphone, but I have always found the plans prohibitively expensive considering how they force you to sign up for a substantial minimum minute plan when I use maybe 100 in the average month. I like that super cheap T-mobile plan that just came out since I'd use the poo poo out of some SMS and data, but I can't say I'm crazy about AT&T looking to absorb them. Is there any reliable way to leverage my loyal business and negotiate with them for something competitive, or alternately, is there any compelling reason to stick with them despite the plans being so much more expensive?

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
I plan on upgrading from my LG Dare to a Nexus. If I order it online, will I be able to do all the activation stuff myself, or is that something they would do in the store? I just wasn't sure if there is anything extra I would need to do, since I'm upgrading to a smart phone.

Endor
Aug 15, 2001

Holy crap, I had no idea this was possible.

Let me know if I'm understanding this: You've got 2 people on a family plan. One bought an EnV3 years ago and has no desire for anything fancier. The other craves the latest smartphone, and got a Thunderbolt in April.

The EnV3 got dropped on the ground and it's going flaky, and she has an upgrade available. Instead of using the upgrade discount to get a phone that costs maybe $89 new for $0, she goes out and buys another cheap EnV3 from Craigslist or Amazon.

Smartphone user upgraded to a Thunderbolt in April, but is interested in a new phone this holiday season. Thunderbolt user can take the available upgrade to get a Galaxy Nexus (or whatever) and sell his Thunderbolt on Craigslist for a few extra bucks.

So if I'm understanding right, upgrade Discounts apply to the Family Plan as a whole, and not to the individual sub-lines?

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Endor posted:

So if I'm understanding right, upgrade Discounts apply to the Family Plan as a whole, and not to the individual sub-lines?

The upgrade discounts do apply to individual lines; however, there's no requirement to keep the upgraded phone activated on that line (or at all), only that you keep the service for 24 months. So you upgrade a line but then activate another phone on it, and you have a usable phone that can be activated anywhere.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
How is the Verizon insurance now a days?

I have Best Buy's which is complete poo poo ($10/month). My Droid 1 broke and they handed me a dumbphone to use for 4 weeks. Which at the end of 4 weeks they said they couldn't fix my Droid and let me choose a new phone. The stupid land-monster argued with me that the dumbphone was "a comparable phone" since it could go on the internet and access email.

My wife has her's through a midwest chain that is $70 to cover the phone. She dropped hers, brought it in, and they gave her a brand new one on the spot. She then purchased the plan for $70 again. I would get this but we travel a lot, and when traveling it's extremely important for me to always have a working phone.

So I think I'm left with the official Verizon store insurance plan, unless it is somehow worse than Best Buys?

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Asurion can be a hassle and kinda expensive but it works. I assume we're talking about smartphones. $7 bucks a month for most smartphones, $10 for the iPhone. Deductible is $99 bucks for smartphones and some borderline retarded amount for the iphones based on capacity ($170-200 I think). They overnight phones with the exception of Sundays and holidays, order before like 11pm and it's there the next day. Phones are refurbished but usually fine. They cover some accessories too. One thing to remember that the warranty on a replaced device is through Asurion.

Added bonus of having Asurion: you're given free overnight business day shipping for warranty replacements done by Verizon. Edit: it might be 2 day, I haven't helped a customer order one in a couple weeks and already forgot

A friend of mine dropped my Thunderbolt and cracked the screen. I got a replacement that to my eyes has a better screen along with a "new" battery (I can't figure out if it too is rebuilt or not) and charger.

Edit: Some 3rd party resellers have instore insurance for different costs and coverage. You got to check with them.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone use Squaretrade for insurance?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

abagofcheetos posted:

Anyone use Squaretrade for insurance?
I have a policy on my iPad, but I haven't had to use it, so I can't comment on their service. I've heard good things, though.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

parasyte posted:

The upgrade discounts do apply to individual lines; however, there's no requirement to keep the upgraded phone activated on that line (or at all), only that you keep the service for 24 months. So you upgrade a line but then activate another phone on it, and you have a usable phone that can be activated anywhere.

One thing to keep in mind because the dude might not know: if you do this at certain retailers, like Amazon and most online places, you will get hosed with a huge fee. Read the fine print.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Penguissimo posted:

It's apparently hardly any bigger than other 4.3" phones due to that 4.6" figure including the portion of the screen set aside for software buttons. In the end it's more or less a wash.

This is not really accurate. Here's a picture of the phone, showing that the screen doesn't extend down all the way like the capacitive area would with capacitive buttons. http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/10/galaxy-nexus-product-image-1.jpg

Also, most new smartphones are 16:9 anyway so the 1280x720 screen doesn't save space there.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
http://phandroid.com/2011/11/18/hard-proof-that-the-samsung-galaxy-nexus-will-launch-december-8th-at-verizon/

Looks like its December 8th. Gives me time to sell the bionic.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
Is Verizon's return policy the same for phones bought at full price/without a contract? I might sell my iPhone 4S which I bought with a 2 year contract and buy a Rezound or Razr to hold me over until the Nexus comes out.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

Mark Larson posted:

This is not really accurate. Here's a picture of the phone, showing that the screen doesn't extend down all the way like the capacitive area would with capacitive buttons. http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/10/galaxy-nexus-product-image-1.jpg

Also, most new smartphones are 16:9 anyway so the 1280x720 screen doesn't save space there.

Which part of his post are you saying isn't accurate? The Galaxy Nexus definitely has capacitive buttons.

It's also only 2mm wider than my Droid X and 1mm thinner so I'm personally not worried about the size at all.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

AppleCobbler posted:

http://phandroid.com/2011/11/18/hard-proof-that-the-samsung-galaxy-nexus-will-launch-december-8th-at-verizon/

BRB buying a murder simulator.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

AppleCobbler posted:

I've got $10 bucks on the double data promotion ending December 7th.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Come on, surely Verizon isn't THAT low.

Rastor posted:

I don't think Verizon has said anything other than "through the holidays", but that should guarantee you to at least Dec. 25 I would think.

"through the end of this year's holiday shopping season"

"a couple months"

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Rastor posted:

Come on, surely Verizon isn't THAT low.

"through the end of this year's holiday shopping season"

"a couple months"

I thought I saw a nice little release timeline that had details of the data plan on it but I can't seem to find it in this thread. Anyone know what I'm talking about? It put the end of the promotion at the beginning of December. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Endor
Aug 15, 2001

parasyte posted:

When you say "keep the service", does that also include the data plan? Because we really will only need one line with an active Data plan, and my Thunderbolt line has the grandfathered-in Unlimited data which I really don't want to lose.

I'm trying to figure out exactly how this could work:
1) Wife gets a new EnV3 from Amazon or Craigslist, takes it to a Verizon store and gets it activated so she has a working phone.
2) I find a new smartphone I want to upgrade to. Go to a Verizon store and wife asks to buy it for her line. Wife's account gets a data plan added to it temporarily.
3) Go back to the Verizon store a few hours later and say "Actually I don't want this phone but my husband does, please register it to his line and re-activate my previous phone." Her account gets downgraded back to dumbphone status with no data plan needed, and I get to keep my unlimited data.
4) Sell old Thunderbolt on Craigslist.

Is this even remotely close? I know this sort of stuff can depend on who you're dealing with at the store, but it's good to know the best way to do this sort of thing.

Rent posted:

One thing to keep in mind because the dude might not know: if you do this at certain retailers, like Amazon and most online places, you will get hosed with a huge fee. Read the fine print.

Yeah, I quickly learned that buying a subsidized phone through most online retailers usually means you need to get a brand new plan. Looks like as long as I'm just paying full price for a new (or used) dumbphone and I'm not asked to activate it with a carrier, everything's cool.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Endor posted:

When you say "keep the service", does that also include the data plan? Because we really will only need one line with an active Data plan, and my Thunderbolt line has the grandfathered-in Unlimited data which I really don't want to lose.

I'm trying to figure out exactly how this could work:
1) Wife gets a new EnV3 from Amazon or Craigslist, takes it to a Verizon store and gets it activated so she has a working phone.
2) I find a new smartphone I want to upgrade to. Go to a Verizon store and wife asks to buy it for her line. Wife's account gets a data plan added to it temporarily.
3) Go back to the Verizon store a few hours later and say "Actually I don't want this phone but my husband does, please register it to his line and re-activate my previous phone." Her account gets downgraded back to dumbphone status with no data plan needed, and I get to keep my unlimited data.
4) Sell old Thunderbolt on Craigslist.

Is this even remotely close? I know this sort of stuff can depend on who you're dealing with at the store, but it's good to know the best way to do this sort of thing.

Yeah, I quickly learned that buying a subsidized phone through most online retailers usually means you need to get a brand new plan. Looks like as long as I'm just paying full price for a new (or used) dumbphone and I'm not asked to activate it with a carrier, everything's cool.

Nah, the discount on the smartphone is contingent on keeping the new data plan. If you cancel the data plan on your wife's line, you'll have to give back the smartphone or pay an ETF or something.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AppleCobbler posted:

3 months to the day after the Bionic release. Hopefully Costco doesn't give anyone a hard time.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

doctor thodt posted:

3 months to the day after the Bionic release. Hopefully Costco doesn't give anyone a hard time.

At least if you're returning an LTE phone, the worst case is you pull the SIM, give back the phone to the store, and you're phoneless for a day until you buy the Nexus, right?

It's not like with an old device where you have to always have some ESN on your account at any given time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
edit: nevermind, I'm bad at math

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 19, 2011

• Locked thread