Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

CrookedB posted:

Wizardry I-II-III: The Story of Llylgamyn for SNES should keep you occupied. There's an English translation patch. Highly recommended.

I only ever played the NES versions of Wizardry 1 & 2, I think I'll give this a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I never played it but wasn't 7th Saga pretty much a wRPG? At least that's the impression I got.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Paperhouse posted:

There's also Darkstone, which as far as I'm aware is just a not-as-good Diablo rip off but I've never actually played it

Darkstone had some good bits and some very, very janky bits.

On the other hand, it is a game that will let you run right to the last boss right from the beginning of the game, so if you want to try and finish off a Diablo clone in ~20 minutes, this is the game for you.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Are there any upcoming JRPGs that look promising other than Last Story/Pandora's Tower and Tales of Graces F?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Are there any upcoming JRPGs that look promising other than Last Story/Pandora's Tower and Tales of Graces F?

I'm pretty pumped for the PS3 version of Ni no Kuni. It's been confirmed that it will be localized for North America and Europe, unlike the DS version. We won't get a real giant spellbook though, just a digital version in the game.

As someone previously mentioned, Atelier Meruru is getting localized.

Final Fantasy XIII-2. :v:

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I'm the one person who actually liked FFXIII so I'll probably at least rent FFXIII-2 from Gamefly.

I've never played an Atelier game, but the new one is for the PS3 so I can't play it. Although I do have to get one so I can play Tales of Graces F... :negative:

drat you Bamco for convincing me to get a 360 so I could play Tales of Vesperia and then releasing the next Tales game on PS3. :argh:

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I'm the one person who actually liked FFXIII so I'll probably at least rent FFXIII-2 from Gamefly.

I've never played an Atelier game, but the new one is for the PS3 so I can't play it. Although I do have to get one so I can play Tales of Graces F... :negative:

drat you Bamco for convincing me to get a 360 so I could play Tales of Vesperia and then releasing the next Tales game on PS3. :argh:

If you're a JRPG fan then get a PS3 and probably a PSP too. You'll be in heaven (providing that you don't go broke first).

I liked FFXIII too. :ssh: I will play the sequel but not until it goes on sale a couple of times first.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

HondaCivet posted:

If you're a JRPG fan then get a PS3 and probably a PSP too. You'll be in heaven (providing that you don't go broke first).

I liked FFXIII too. :ssh: I will play the sequel but not until it goes on sale a couple of times first.

A PS3? Really? Maybe a DS or PSP, but JRPGs don't exist on console.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

PSP is incredible for JRPGS.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Mostly true, now that I think about it. However pretty much any decent Japanese console game that isn't Nintendo's is going to come out on PS3, RPG or not. Plus you've got access to backwards compatibility and the PS1 classics in the PSN store. It's not great but there's a lot to do.

The PSP is a no-brainer though unless you're really adamant about only playing with HD graphics or something.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Valkyria Chronicles is reason enough is you like strategy RPGs.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

If you want to try an Atelier game there is one for the DS if you've got one. It's nowhere near as good as the PS3 ones though.

Also we're getting Ni No Kuni? gently caress yes between that and Meruru's release being confirmed this has been some good news for my JRPG cravings.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Oh hell yeah. If you can get over the evil load times this game just DRIPS character from every crack. Kain has a little color commentary for every single item you can pick up. Its amazing (and part of what makes the load times so atrocious)

Tactics ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics while not strictly wrpg playstation games are alot more down to earth and alot more customizable than your average jrpg. Plus theyre great games so thats a plus. (plus isnt FFT actually available on mobile now with the WOTL translation?)

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Has anyone who hated Oblivion tried Skyrim? If so, how did you like it?

I hate Bethesda and everything they stand for, but I'm still thinking of renting Skyrim. This happens every time they release a game. I'm just too optimistic I guess; I don't want to hate any game.

I know there's the whole subforum devoted to Skyrim, but I don't think anyone there will be very receptive to my question.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Has anyone who hated Oblivion tried Skyrim? If so, how did you like it?

I hate Bethesda and everything they stand for, but I'm still thinking of renting Skyrim. This happens every time they release a game. I'm just too optimistic I guess; I don't want to hate any game.

I know there's the whole subforum devoted to Skyrim, but I don't think anyone there will be very receptive to my question.

I would say it depends on why you hated Oblivion. If you felt Oblivion was a good idea bogged down by poor design choices then...maybe. If you don't like the idea of a sandbox RPG, then you probably won't like Skyrim.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm not sure I would say I hated Oblivion, but I had such a bad experience thanks to the enemy level scaling system that I'm extremely resistant against playing Skyrim. No matter how many assurances people give me that it's been changed for the better, the fact that there is any level scaling whatsoever is kind of a deal breaker. I loved most other aspects of Oblivion (I put in about 30 hours without touching the main quest at all), though I guess the lack of different voice actors got annoying/silly after a while and I hear that's better now.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Nate RFB posted:

I'm not sure I would say I hated Oblivion, but I had such a bad experience thanks to the enemy level scaling system that I'm extremely resistant against playing Skyrim. No matter how many assurances people give me that it's been changed for the better, the fact that there is any level scaling whatsoever is kind of a deal breaker. I loved most other aspects of Oblivion (I put in about 30 hours without touching the main quest at all), though I guess the lack of different voice actors got annoying/silly after a while and I hear that's better now.

Don't be a whiny baby and play Skyrim. I am not exaggerating when I say it is one of the best games ever made.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Seriously, you will obviously love Skyrim if you put 30 into Oblivion. Go play Skyrim and I'm saying that as a person who doesn't really care for it.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

YOURFRIEND posted:

Don't be a whiny baby and play Skyrim. I am not exaggerating when I say it is one of the best games ever made.

Well then, I guess that settles that.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

YOURFRIEND posted:

Says the guy with the loving Morrowind avatar

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Wendell posted:

Says the guy with the loving Morrowind avatar

I think morrowind is a terrible game that has aged really really poorly and someone bought this for me for that reason.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

I couldn't play vanilla Oblivion for more than 5 hours before quitting but Skyrim is pretty great.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

YOURFRIEND posted:

I think morrowind is a terrible game that has aged really really poorly and someone bought this for me for that reason.

Oh. Well then that actually adds to the strength of your position. Keep up the good work!

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Wait for a mod to remove level scaling before buying if it's a dealbreaker for you.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

How would I go about playing The Last Story in the US? Dumb question I'm sure, but I've never imported games before.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Douche Bag posted:

How would I go about playing The Last Story in the US? Dumb question I'm sure, but I've never imported games before.

Find on online retailer that ships overseas, (I think Game.co.uk is what I used for Xenoblade), then homebrew your wii to get around region locking. There's a thread somewhere that explains better than I could how to do so. Also, get Xenoblade as practice (the op for Xenoblade explains how to get and play the game as well).

Edit: Found the thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3075676, although to be honest the OP for Xenoblade may be better because the information information there is focused on playing an import.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 18, 2011

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My big question here: As someone who enjoys nonviolent solutions to problems in RPGs, how friendly in Skyrim to that? The speech and dialogue options seem fairly limited and most of the "this is awesome" stuff seems to boil down to killin' or stealin'.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

Also, get Xenoblade as practice

And because it owns.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
To be honest, Skyrim is not that big on nonviolent solutions to quests. There are a fraction - and there's so many quests in the game that you would still have a lot to do - but most of the major questlines I've seen (some of the assassin's guild, some of the mages' guild, some of the main plot) involve sneaking, or fighting, or some combination of the two.

There is other stuff to do, like buying and decorating your house, but you are going to be fighting to earn the money for that.

The speech perk tree is pretty much just getting better at selling and buying things. Dialogue is also usually limited to a few choices.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Sionak posted:

To be honest, Skyrim is not that big on nonviolent solutions to quests. There are a fraction - and there's so many quests in the game that you would still have a lot to do - but most of the major questlines I've seen (some of the assassin's guild, some of the mages' guild, some of the main plot) involve sneaking, or fighting, or some combination of the two.

There is other stuff to do, like buying and decorating your house, but you are going to be fighting to earn the money for that.

The speech perk tree is pretty much just getting better at selling and buying things. Dialogue is also usually limited to a few choices.

That's a drat shame, because I'm pretty sure I cleared around 75% of the quests in Fallout New Vegas using the Speech option, and those usually netted you the best rewards, too.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

ImpAtom posted:

My big question here: As someone who enjoys nonviolent solutions to problems in RPGs, how friendly in Skyrim to that? The speech and dialogue options seem fairly limited and most of the "this is awesome" stuff seems to boil down to killin' or stealin'.

There are several ways to solve problems in Skyrim. For example, you could kill a wizard with a sword, or a mace, or an axe. You could also kill the wizard with magic, or perhaps a two handed weapon. If you're truly daring, you could try to sneak up on the wizard, and kill him via a backstab.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

Find on online retailer that ships overseas, (I think Game.co.uk is what I used for Xenoblade), then homebrew your wii to get around region locking. There's a thread somewhere that explains better than I could how to do so. Also, get Xenoblade as practice (the op for Xenoblade explains how to get and play the game as well).

Edit: Found the thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3075676, although to be honest the OP for Xenoblade may be better because the information information there is focused on playing an import.

Ugh, that sounds complicated as hell. Couldn't I just buy a European Wii?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Douche Bag posted:

Well, yes, if you're willing to overlook the fact that your paying an extra couple hundred dollars for convenience. Plus I'm not sure how power works (would you need a transformer, or could you just use an american power cord and be just fine?)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Douche Bag posted:

No joke, it takes five minutes. You just need a 2 gig SD Card and the programs you need to softmod it are all self-explanatory and very user-friendly (unless you also want USB Loader to play games off a harddrive to save wear and tear, but even then that would only add an additional 10 minutes assuming you have a USB stick or harddrive that's already partitioned for FAT32).

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Douche Bag posted:

It isn't at all. There's a program called ModMii that's incredibly easy to use and will put everything you need on your SD card. All you have to do is put the SD card in your Wii and run the program.

Calaveron posted:

No joke, it takes five minutes. You just need a 2 gig SD Card and the programs you need to softmod it are all self-explanatory and very user-friendly (unless you also want USB Loader to play games off a harddrive to save wear and tear, but even then that would only add an additional 10 minutes assuming you have a USB stick or harddrive that's already partitioned for FAT32).

ModMii will install CFG USB Loader too.

e: also you can format your USB drive as anything you want if you're just using it to run games off of. It only needs to be FAT32 if you want to run apps off of it (which isn't necessary at all, and it doesn't even work for me)

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 18, 2011

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

Not very to be honest. While there's certainly something to be sad about playing a thief, you'll still end up having to carve your way through the wilderness and most of the main plot (if you choose to participate). The majority of the skill trees are dedicated to killing, with only a handful for non-combat stuff and everyone knows you can pretty much ignore them and still get similar results.

Also as far as I know, nearly every dialog option can be bypassed by throwing money at the person.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thanks for the answers. :smith:

I really loved New Vegas primarily because I could take alternate solutions to so many quests and I guess I was holding out hope that it might just be something that people were overlooking due to the fun of sending guys flying into orbit with magical shouts. Ah well.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ImpAtom posted:

I really loved New Vegas primarily because I could take alternate solutions to so many quests and I guess I was holding out hope that it might just be something that people were overlooking due to the fun of sending guys flying into orbit with magical shouts. Ah well.

The reason is because Obsidian made New Vegas, and those guys know how to make a world feel alive. Can't make a good engine to save their lives, but they know what to do with one.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I decided to give Neverwinter Nights 2 a spin, but when I go to create a character, no body loads to show what I look like. I already ran the updater to get it to the latest version. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm only maybe 5 or 6 hours into the game and moved away from the main quest pretty early, but so far I'm just as disappointed as you. I was hoping they'd take a few more pages out of Fallout's book besides perks, but so far most of what I'm doing involves delving into some dungeons and killing everything in sight, which would be more interesting if the combat was great, but it's really not. Still better than Oblivion's combat, though.

In fact so far I'd say this is probably better than Oblivion in just about every way save for the Thieves Guild not being anywhere near as cool this time (At least so far). Again, I'm sure it'll pick up soon, I just think that what seems to be the core experience of the game (Going into a cave and killing everything in sight) should be a bit more interesting mechanically.