Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

doctor thodt posted:

edit: nevermind, I'm bad at math

My guess is you were counting out 90 days from the bionic release... which I did as well but didn't know if Sept 8 was included as one of those days. I think depending on how Costco counts (and assuming the Dec 8 rumor is right) bionic owners might be screwed?

I'm also bad at math someone help me with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Haha, that's exactly what I was doing. But even if you don't count Sept. 8, Dec. 8 is still 91 days after the Bionic release, which means we're screwed regardless.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Also, we don't know if Costco is getting them at launch.

Honestly, I don't care anymore. It looks like the specs of the galaxy nexus were updated to reflect 16gb of internal storage. I'm also creeping back to my position of not buying a Samsung phone. I think it's going to be Razr for me.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Endor posted:

When you say "keep the service", does that also include the data plan? Because we really will only need one line with an active Data plan, and my Thunderbolt line has the grandfathered-in Unlimited data which I really don't want to lose.

I'm trying to figure out exactly how this could work:
1) Wife gets a new EnV3 from Amazon or Craigslist, takes it to a Verizon store and gets it activated so she has a working phone.
2) I find a new smartphone I want to upgrade to. Go to a Verizon store and wife asks to buy it for her line. Wife's account gets a data plan added to it temporarily.
3) Go back to the Verizon store a few hours later and say "Actually I don't want this phone but my husband does, please register it to his line and re-activate my previous phone." Her account gets downgraded back to dumbphone status with no data plan needed, and I get to keep my unlimited data.
4) Sell old Thunderbolt on Craigslist.

Is this even remotely close? I know this sort of stuff can depend on who you're dealing with at the store, but it's good to know the best way to do this sort of thing.

Yeah, I quickly learned that buying a subsidized phone through most online retailers usually means you need to get a brand new plan. Looks like as long as I'm just paying full price for a new (or used) dumbphone and I'm not asked to activate it with a carrier, everything's cool.
Don't be coy about it, just go to a Verizon corporate store or Best Buy, and tell the duder "Hey I want to do an alternate upgrade." It's perfectly acceptable within their terms of service and isn't a lovely thing to do at all.

The real process
1) go into VZW
2) tell them you want to do an alternate upgrade
3) find phone
4) receive new phone
5) now you can find a 'dumbphone' for your wife at your leisure.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SeaborneClink posted:

Don't be coy about it, just go to a Verizon corporate store or Best Buy, and tell the duder "Hey I want to do an alternate upgrade." It's perfectly acceptable within their terms of service and isn't a lovely thing to do at all.

The real process
1) go into VZW
2) tell them you want to do an alternate upgrade
3) find phone
4) receive new phone
5) now you can find a 'dumbphone' for your wife at your leisure.

He will have to keep the extra data plan to keep the subsidized phone, though. You don't get a subsidized smartphone without a data plan, and you can't just cancel the data plan and keep the subsidized phone price.

Edit: In the original guy's plan, the flaw is in the step "keep data plan temporarily."

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Ciabatta posted:

He will have to keep the extra data plan to keep the subsidized phone, though. You don't get a subsidized smartphone without a data plan, and you can't just cancel the data plan and keep the subsidized phone price.

Edit: In the original guy's plan, the flaw is in the step "keep data plan temporarily."
But Seaborn is right. He doesn't have to sign up for the data plan at all.

"Alternate upgrade". If you have a family plan, Verizon lets you use line A's upgrade to get a phone and immediately activate it on line B. You can even do it on their website without going to a store.

In doing this, Line A's contract is extended by two years, but line B's contract (and subsidized phone elegibility date) isn't affected.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Alternate upgrade is how my cousin was able to get a new phone out of the system when he jumped into the pool with his droid pro.

He's the account holder and has his parents on a family plan with him. All he did was add an additional line and immediately do an alternate upgrade of that line on to his. So, he's stuck paying an extra $9.99 a month for a line no one uses, but he can now get an upgrade every year if he wants.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

But Seaborn is right. He doesn't have to sign up for the data plan at all.

"Alternate upgrade". If you have a family plan, Verizon lets you use line A's upgrade to get a phone and immediately activate it on line B. You can even do it on their website without going to a store.

In doing this, Line A's contract is extended by two years, but line B's contract (and subsidized phone elegibility date) isn't affected.

Ah, I didn't realize this was possible. The two lines do have to be on a shared family plan, though, right? People can't just pass their upgrades off to other random people? In any case, that is good news, and way more flexible than I thought they were.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
^^ Yes, the lines have to be on the same account/plan.

Anyone with a family plan notice the change they included in the last bill, about changing the way charges are listed for the primary line?

Looks like they're breaking out an "account charge". For instance, a basic family plan currently is $60 for the first line, and $9.99 for the secondary line. Now it's changing to a %50 account charge, and $$9.99 for each line.

Wonder what the point of that is? They say employer discounts will still be "the same amount".

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

bull3964 posted:

Alternate upgrade is how my cousin was able to get a new phone out of the system when he jumped into the pool with his droid pro.

He's the account holder and has his parents on a family plan with him. All he did was add an additional line and immediately do an alternate upgrade of that line on to his. So, he's stuck paying an extra $9.99 a month for a line no one uses, but he can now get an upgrade every year if he wants.

So he's paying an extra $120 for a phone. That's not always the best deal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WeaselWeaz posted:

So he's paying an extra $120 for a phone. That's not always the best deal.

$240 extra per contract length + $150 subsidized price is a hell of a lot better than $550 full retail price for the phone.

Endor
Aug 15, 2001

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You guys rock. Thanks!

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
My contract with Verizon expires 11/22/11, and I'm planning on switching to Sprint to get on my friend's family plan. When can I proceed with ordering a phone from Amazon and transfer the number without it causing a problem with my Verizon contract? I assume it's best to wait until the 23rd, but won't I then be billed for another cycle of Verizon service?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

bull3964 posted:

Honestly, I don't care anymore. It looks like the specs of the galaxy nexus were updated to reflect 16gb of internal storage. I'm also creeping back to my position of not buying a Samsung phone. I think it's going to be Razr for me.

The 16gb isn't a deal breaker for me as I really don't use that much. Typically the largest things on my SD card are ROM's, Nandroid backups, and Titanium Backup files.

But I'm also starting to lean towards the Razr now. Slowly but surely.

MY ABACUS! posted:

My contract with Verizon expires 11/22/11, and I'm planning on switching to Sprint to get on my friend's family plan. When can I proceed with ordering a phone from Amazon and transfer the number without it causing a problem with my Verizon contract? I assume it's best to wait until the 23rd, but won't I then be billed for another cycle of Verizon service?

Wouldn't they prorate it so you'd only be paying for 1 day if you wait till the 23rd?

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!

JayKay posted:

Wouldn't they prorate it so you'd only be paying for 1 day if you wait till the 23rd?

That's what I'm wondering. I'd cancel it on the day the contract expires if possible. My phone has been broken for weeks, and I just want to get a new phone ASAP.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

JayKay posted:

No, the terms of service say you pay in advance and they don't prorate ("Cancellations will become effective on the last day of that month's billing cycle"). If you cancel on the first day of a billing cycle you sink a month's worth of service charges. The only prorating they do is if you cancel during the initial buyers remorse period.

Can't you order the Sprint phone a few days early and then just have Sprint port the Verizon number onto it the day your contract expires?

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 19, 2011

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!

kitten smoothie posted:

No, the terms of service say you pay in advance and they don't prorate ("Cancellations will become effective on the last day of that month's billing cycle"). If you cancel on the first day of a billing cycle you sink a month's worth of service charges. The only prorating they do is if you cancel during the initial buyers remorse period.

Can't you order the Sprint phone a few days early and then just have Sprint port the Verizon number onto it the day your contract expires?

Is that how it works? You have to cancel on the actual expiration date to avoid an ETF and another month's fee?

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bull3964 posted:

Also, we don't know if Costco is getting them at launch.

For what it's worth, P3Droid is saying Verizon's Nexus will only be available as 32gb. No idea where he gets that (his Nexus is 16gb, although he says it is an earlier model), but he insisted this was the case on twitter.

Edit: Err, tweeted by someone named PydePiper and retweeted by P3. So who the hell knows.

Ciabatta fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 20, 2011

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

MY ABACUS! posted:

Is that how it works? You have to cancel on the actual expiration date to avoid an ETF and another month's fee?

Verizon Wireless will bill you until the end of your current bill cycle when disconnecting / stopping service unless one of these 3 things happen:

• The person using the device has died or become terminally ill.
  • The person using the device has been deployed by the United States Military.
  • The contract end date for the line falls withing the current bill cycle. In this case you can request to disconnect on the contract end date. (This does not allow you to port out the number to another carrier, all port-out disconnects bill through the end of the current billing cycle.)
An easy way around this if you don't want to pay till the end and port out is to suspend the line without billing before porting the line out. A suspend will not interfere with a port out request where a disconnect request will. If you don't want to pay the $15 suspend fee, process it through your My Verizon account instead of talking to customer service.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

FYI this would work on sprint. If you have any questions on it feel free to PM me, but in a nutshell you can activate early and port on top of the temporary number at anytime.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
Okay. To confirm, if I go to Sprint and port my number on the day my Verizon contract expires, I won't be charged an ETF, and my Verizon billing will be canceled in time? It's important that I port the number directly from Verizon because I want to qualify for the $125 service credit offer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I really want a Galaxy Nexus, but I really need a new phone now. What exactly are the options for getting a new phone and then trading it in for another in a certain time frame? And can I do this at a completely different store in a different city? Would I even be able to trade up to a Nexus if it is online only? I'm going to be in Houston next week and want a new phone, so I'd get a Razr, would I be able to bring that in and get a new phone in San Antonio?

I wish they would stop pushing this back, as I want that phone, but my og Droid is at the point where I want to smash it with rocks.

May 1, 2008

ಠ_ಠ
I feel for you man, I'm in the same position. My original storm locks up randomly, cant download apps anymore and dies at half battery power. Ugh just end the torture :smithicide:

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I see that Verizon has much better pre-paid options for tablet data plans now then when I last checked (Feb 2011). If I bought a Xoom in February through Motorola, not Verizon, which I never activated, could I now buy the pre-paid data plans a la cart without paying the activation fees each time? Or are those limited to certain devices?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Cojawfee posted:

I really want a Galaxy Nexus, but I really need a new phone now. What exactly are the options for getting a new phone and then trading it in for another in a certain time frame? And can I do this at a completely different store in a different city? Would I even be able to trade up to a Nexus if it is online only? I'm going to be in Houston next week and want a new phone, so I'd get a Razr, would I be able to bring that in and get a new phone in San Antonio?

I wish they would stop pushing this back, as I want that phone, but my og Droid is at the point where I want to smash it with rocks.
I don't think in good conscience anyone could/would recommend you play release date roulette. Verizon officially has a 14 day exchange policy, though they've changed that now for 'holiday season' though you'll have to eat the $35 restocking fee regardless.

My advice, for what it's worth, if you have an unlimited data plan (Smartphone Web $29.99) stick it out as long as you can, if you don't just borrow a phone from someone that has one or pick up a cheap one on Craigslist and use it until you get the phone you actually want.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The Blarghonauts posted:

An easy way around this if you don't want to pay till the end and port out is to suspend the line without billing before porting the line out. A suspend will not interfere with a port out request where a disconnect request will. If you don't want to pay the $15 suspend fee, process it through your My Verizon account instead of talking to customer service.

You know this reminds me of another question I had. I called in to temporarily suspend my LTE hotspot line this summer because I wasn't going to be using it.

The person who took my call told me I could suspend without billing and pay 15 bucks, or I could suspend with billing and they'd continue charging me but the device won't work.

In what instance would you ever want to suspend with billing? It seems illogical to continue paying for absolutely nothing. Is there some reason why they even offer this as an option, other than that someone might be dumb enough to choose it?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

My family of three people haven't upgraded our phones in many years - we're all using dumbphones or feature phones and we figure it's time for an upgrade! Judging by the last few pages of this thread, since we've waited this long it makes sense to hold out another month and wait for the Nexus? If I go iPhone over Nexus, besides the obvious Android vs. iOS the main thing I'd be missing is LTE, right? I'm not even sure I want data speeds that fast when facing a 4GB/month cap.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

kitten smoothie posted:

In what instance would you ever want to suspend with billing? It seems illogical to continue paying for absolutely nothing. Is there some reason why they even offer this as an option, other than that someone might be dumb enough to choose it?
Going out of town for a week, don't want to take it with you, and don't want your kids running up a huge overage bill?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And so the Costco drama begins.

I was doing some shopping there today, so I stopped at the kiosk just to mention that I was unhappy with my Bionic and ask how their exchange policy worked. The rep told me that between the 14-90 day window, they would only accept a phone that was broken or defective, and only exchange it for the same model. I explained to him that the store's exchange policy said otherwise, but he disagreed, even after I pulled up the language of their guarantee on my phone. He then produced a paper with Costco's phone exchange policy on it, as if to prove himself right....until I actually read it out loud to him and affirmed that it allowed me to return my phone.

Eventually he called over a manager, who told me the same thing - their policy is to only accept defective phones, and only exchange them for the same model....even though these stipulations aren't mentioned anywhere in any of their policies. She said that if I wanted to try to do something about it, I'd have to call Verizon, which I'm pretty sure is also wrong.

So I called Costco's member services, but they don't have anyone in on Sunday, so I guess I'll have to try again tomorrow and see what happens :ohdear:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Who would've thought a store would resist a bunch of people basically loving them over on phones just to keep the best gadgetry in their pockets? :iiam:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

doctor thodt posted:

Amusingly enough I helped my folks upgrade to new dumbphones at the Costco kiosk the other day and asked about the exchange policy and was told the exact same thing. Then the girl said, well if my mother was really unhappy with her Cosmos (poo poo slider dumbphone) and wanted a Revere (poo poo flip dumbphone) within the 90 day window they could probably "work it out".

She then said "the problem is people keep coming in with this three-month-old phone" (pointing to the display Bionic) "and want to replace it with this brand new phone" (pointing to the Razr) and the exchange policy really isn't for a free upgrade. So, apparently it's actually a problem?

Costco is definitely eating the exchange costs, and at least unofficially they're trying to discourage the freebie upgrade but I think that's a bit disingenuous of them. It's total bullshit to buy a Razr today with the intention of exchanging it for a GNex in a month or two. However it's not bullshit to buy a Razr today, only to discover that it's a poo poo phone and it's driving you insane, and end up wanting to exchange it for a GNex because it's a phone that loving works. I imagine folks who got screwed in the G2x debacle would've taken the Costco-option out of it was available to them at the time.

Which makes me a bit curious. Honestly, most phone problems are software based (see LG, Samsung) and so all hardware is equally defective. A model-for-model exchange is ultimately useless, it just makes the customer go away for a while. With things like broken GPS, broken cellular radios, major-loving-software problems, the Costco exchange policy should address that kind of stuff, but I don't know if they intend it to or not.

Perhaps the real problem is that, moreso than other electronics, smartphones obsolesce really-loving-fast, and so folks will take advantage of the "free upgrade", and they're also really-loving-lovely too, so many folks will exchange and play the cell-phone-roulette game just to get a device that works.

Edit:

JP Money posted:

Who would've thought a store would resist a bunch of people basically loving them over on phones just to keep the best gadgetry in their pockets?
I agree, it's an obvious position for them to take. However,

1. Because it runs counter to their own (perhaps poorly-though out) written return policy.

2. Because Costco is particularly well known for its crazy-liberal return policies. People do occasionally return three-month-old 50" televisions no questions asked. So this reversal is particularly notable.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 20, 2011

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

JP Money posted:

Who would've thought a store would resist a bunch of people basically loving them over on phones just to keep the best gadgetry in their pockets? :iiam:

How is following the store's own policy, as written, "loving them over"?

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

doctor thodt posted:

I was in the store to replace my legitimately defective Bionic yesterday and was told the same thing when I asked about getting a RAZR instead, but I didn't push the point as I wasn't really set on getting a RAZR instead.

I did, however, manage to get the $100 instant rebate during the replacement since Costco actually performs a return/refund and you have to buy a new device after. I think the rebate is good for another few days, so if you bought it at launch and it is having any problems at all, now is a good time to replace it and try to get some money back.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Sounds like Costco is ratcheting up its exchange policy with phones. Can't say I blame them but it does dilute a key benefit of buying from them...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Maybe I'll just keep my bionic for now if it's going to be a hassle to try to trade it in. If the ICS update sucks or gets delayed continually, I'll just sell it off and buy a Galaxy Nexus.

I love the Razr hardware, but I'm also glad to have an extra and extended battery for my Bionic.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

How is following the store's own policy, as written, "loving them over"?

If the guy had a legitimate problem with it i.e. hardware or software failure - fine. Using it as a 90 day "buffer" towards a new phone is a little bit childish - poor policy wording or not.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought the Bionic with the intention of keeping it.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

I'm content with my phone, but if something with identical specs and a better screen comes out within the 3 month exchange window, I'll return it without a moment's hesitation.

I don't care either way - if you get a new phone out of it then congrats. All my position is is that it's a bit dick-ish to buy a phone knowing you're going to return it at the sight of something better.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't understand - you think that finding the screen problematic is an illegitimate reason to be dissatisfied with one's phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Nah man, you're good. I'm not gonna get into an argument on return policy in a thread that has nothing to do with costco. If you're unhappy, return it.

• Locked thread