Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

What he's saying is this:

There are people out there who want a new phone NOW but also want the Nexus when it comes out in a few weeks. They are buying the Razr with the full intention of returning it in a few weeks for the Nexus because they JUST CAN'T WAIT.

They are using the letter of the policy to defeat the spirit of the policy. It's unethical and it's people like that that will end up getting the policy changed for the rest of us.

In short, this is why we can't have nice things.

If you bought a phone and are unsatisfied with it's quality, you're fine. Although, since you seem to be satisfied but have seen something better, you're in a grey area for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you look at things like the extinction of various rhinos in Asia, you can see one simple fact about the human race. We don't give a poo poo about what happens in the future as long as we can get something now.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

JerkyBunion posted:

They are using the letter of the policy to defeat the spirit of the policy. It's unethical and it's people like that that will end up getting the policy changed for the rest of us.

...ala those jerks years ago who would buy a computer...use it for 2 yrs, then bring it back to upgrade to a newer model for free.

Costco fixed that little problem. If the 90-day grace period continues to be abused, expect it to go away also.

/back on topic (sorta)

Did I read that the RAZR will be coming to GSM-land one day? That hardware is dead sexy and would love to have it on ATT.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

hotsauce posted:

...ala those jerks years ago who would buy a computer...use it for 2 yrs, then bring it back to upgrade to a newer model for free.

Costco fixed that little problem. If the 90-day grace period continues to be abused, expect it to go away also.

/back on topic (sorta)

Did I read that the RAZR will be coming to GSM-land one day? That hardware is dead sexy and would love to have it on ATT.

Except for the display @_@

-rezound owner

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

JerkyBunion posted:

Corporations will gladly do any number of unethical things to get you to part with your money. I see nothing unethical about using their policy as it's written, especially when return policies are used to entice a purchase. Gaming the system is one thing, getting them to abide to their their written policy is not gaming the system.

I'm fairly certain Costco has all sorts of bean counters and business analysts that have weighed the pros and cons of their exchange policy. When their policies cease to work in their favor they will change them.

When I bought my Rezound last week I flat out told the Verizon manager that I was buying it because my DX was becoming unusable and although I was waiting on the Nexus it was worth the $35 to rent to Rezound and have a functioning device. He nodded in agreement and said "seems reasonable to me."

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

jfreder posted:

Which part of his post are you saying isn't accurate? The Galaxy Nexus definitely has capacitive buttons.

It's also only 2mm wider than my Droid X and 1mm thinner so I'm personally not worried about the size at all.

That was a short post, but still, this part: It's apparently hardly any bigger than other 4.3" phones

If it was "hardly any bigger" it would be the same size even with a bigger display. But its not. And it has room in the bottom for capacitive buttons, had they chose to put them in. This rumor has been around since before we saw actual detailed pictures of the Galaxy Nexus, and at that time it was pretty much justification for the big screen. Its the same size as any other theoretical device with a 4.65" screen, ie huge. No biggie for some, but no need to ignore that its larger either.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I saw a RAZR this weekend and it looked a lot more tolerable when it was actually in my hand.

From the pictures I saw, the Nexus is only a shade bigger than the RAZR. I was turned off by the Nexus thinking it was going to be a giant clown phone but I am OK with it now after seeing something comparable.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Posted this over in C/D as well, but if you're opening a new contract with Big Red Amazon's got every freaking phone on the service for a penny.

That includes the RAZR.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Matlock posted:

Posted this over in C/D as well, but if you're opening a new contract with Big Red Amazon's got every freaking phone on the service for a penny.

That includes the RAZR.

What's the catch? Surely they can't be subsidizing the price of an entire phone through a plan.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Cojawfee posted:

What's the catch? Surely they can't be subsidizing the price of an entire phone through a plan.

No catch, far as I can tell. They've been running insane deals like this for a great while.

I do know that if you cancel service before day 181, you're liable for an ETF to the carrier as well as $250 to Amazon (which I'm assuming is their spiff on the item--which they're eating upfront).

ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison
I just sold a brand new iPhone 4S to someone on SA Mart. What do I need to do to prevent that phone from bumping my existing phone off the network when he turns it on?

I just realized it would do that when the other iPhone I turned on today did that to my Trophy. I need to make sure that my other phone won't get disconnected as that person is 4 states away.

Can I quickly put that esn on the account and switch it back to prevent it from doing it automatically later? Or do I need to talk to a rep in store or on the phone?

ForkPat fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 21, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

PorkFat posted:

I just realized it would do that when the other iPhone I turned on today did that to my Trophy. I need to make sure that my other phone won't get disconnected as that person is 4 states away.
When you activated your iPhone, didn't you have to enter your account password?

ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

When you activated your iPhone, didn't you have to enter your account password?

Previous phones I've had to manually add in Verizonwireless.com. This one I turned on, I went through the setup process and it bumped my other phone off. The only password I input was for my Apple ID. There was no indication it would do this and I have no idea at what step it did this.My thought was that Verizonwireless.com (who I purchased it from) put the ESN on some access list so that it connected to he network without any intervention. Nice feature unless you're selling the ohone or just want to mess with it, like me.

Do I have that wrong? Otherwise, how did it connect?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

PorkFat posted:

Previous phones I've had to manually add in Verizonwireless.com. This one I turned on, I went through the setup process and it bumped my other phone off. The only password I input was for my Apple ID. There was no indication it would do this and I have no idea at what step it did this.My thought was that Verizonwireless.com (who I purchased it from) put the ESN on some access list so that it connected to he network without any intervention. Nice feature unless you're selling the ohone or just want to mess with it, like me.

Do I have that wrong? Otherwise, how did it connect?

Was this for a new line when you bought it? Then it may have been pre-registered to the new line. Otherwise, I think you're forgetting the part where you called *228 to activate it.

ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison

WeaselWeaz posted:

Was this for a new line when you bought it? Then it may have been pre-registered to the new line. Otherwise, I think you're forgetting the part where you called *228 to activate it.

No, not a new line. No, I never dialed *228. Does the iPhone 4S do it itself as part of the setup process?

Let's say I did (but I swear I didn't - I didn't even know how to dial the phone to check I had service when troublshooting) and the new owner dials *228, wouldn't he just take my line anyway? Otherwise, how would it know what phone number to take control of if it weren't pre-registered?

I'll just go into the store for lunch, I guess.

ForkPat fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Nov 21, 2011

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Aside from the NFC functionality, please tell me why I should or shouldn't just get the RAZR over the Nexus?

I'm trying to weigh my options and saving $600 might push me over the edge. How limited am I going to be with a manufacturer's UI?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Bobx66 posted:

Aside from the NFC functionality, please tell me why I should or shouldn't just get the RAZR over the Nexus?

I'm trying to weigh my options and saving $600 might push me over the edge. How limited am I going to be with a manufacturer's UI?

Galaxy Nexus is more likely to get timely future software updates.

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Every King needs his jester
The non-removable battery is a big deal.

That said, my OG Droid broke today so I think I'm going to take advantage of Verizon's generous holiday return policy and pick up a RAZR for the time being until the Nexus comes out. Should still be able to use my upgrade after I return, right?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

PorkFat posted:

No, not a new line. No, I never dialed *228. Does the iPhone 4S do it itself as part of the setup process?

Let's say I did (but I swear I didn't - I didn't even know how to dial the phone to check I had service when troublshooting) and the new owner dials *228, wouldn't he just take my line anyway? Otherwise, how would it know what phone number to take control of if it weren't pre-registered?

I'll just go into the store for lunch, I guess.

The 4S, and the new 4G mifis, will automatically activate themselves for the line they were purchased for when you first start them up.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

So it's 11\21 which means Verizon stores will get the Galaxy Nexus shipments in at 10 am and start selling at 11 am, right guys? Guys?

:(

Edit: The more I read, the more I think it will be a December release.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 21, 2011

ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison

Galler posted:

The 4S, and the new 4G mifis, will automatically activate themselves for the line they were purchased for when you first start them up.

OK, thank you! So, I can prevent this how?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
If you are new to Verizon, Amazon Wireless has the Razr (and other phones) for .01 cent.

And to think I juuust about bit on 11/11/11 for $111.11...11 short days later and it's one penny.

Tempting...especially with the double your pleasure data deal...

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 21, 2011

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

PorkFat posted:

OK, thank you! So, I can prevent this how?

It should only do it the very first time. If it has already been activated it should behave like any other phone. The person you're sending it to should just have to put the esn into their Verizon page and *228 and be good to go. It should not reassociate with your line as long as you don't put the esn back into your account.

If the phone is new in box then there's nothing you can do afaik to prevent it from bumping you off.

Galler fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 21, 2011

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Currently, my wife has an account (with a previous employer) and we have our family lines through that.

Would my wife be able to cancel (we are over our contract so no ETF)that contract, create a new contract through Amazon (using her new employer) and both of us receive the RAZR for $0.01?

I am just wondering if the $0.01 deal can be for both lines and if she would still be considered a new contract.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Currently, my wife has an account (with a previous employer) and we have our family lines through that.

Would my wife be able to cancel (we are over our contract so no ETF)that contract, create a new contract through Amazon (using her new employer) and both of us receive the RAZR for $0.01?

I am just wondering if the $0.01 deal can be for both lines and if she would still be considered a new contract.

I have tried this and was told that if you cancel a contract, you won't be able to start a new one with that number for 6 months. I could be terribly misinformed, but this is what I was told by Verizon's phone rep.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Yes you can, but you can't keep the numbers you currently have. Added caveat, you mentioned "with a previous employer" so I'm going to assume that those [2] lines were under the business' tax id, you should be in the clear to create a new family plan under her social.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

You could cancel her lines and then start up a family plan under your name. Only drawback being that you lose unlimited data.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Mark Larson posted:

You could cancel her lines and then start up a family plan under your name. Only drawback being that you lose unlimited data.

And they would lose her employee discount.

ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison
OK... Verizon is confusing the hell out of me.

What, exactly, do I need to ask for to allow my 4S and Trophy (both global phones) to be able to use Korean SIM cards when I'm over there?

I went to the real Verizon store in town and they claim that they need an entirely different system (they rambled off some acronym/initialism like MCRD or something) in order to set my phones up for foreign SIM usage.

They directed me to the customer care number. I called and told them what I wanted. They registered the pre-existing SIM and set me up for Global and International services with some ridiculous $1.99 rate. I don't think this is what I wanted.

I asked the customer care rep what I could do to use foreign SIMs and he said I would need to register them with Verizon when I got there but that doesn't sound right. I thought if you got a foreign SIM, you got a local number for however long the SIM was good for.

So, what am I supposed to do?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

PorkFat posted:

OK... Verizon is confusing the hell out of me.

What, exactly, do I need to ask for to allow my 4S and Trophy (both global phones) to be able to use Korean SIM cards when I'm over there?

I went to the real Verizon store in town and they claim that they need an entirely different system (they rambled off some acronym/initialism like MCRD or something) in order to set my phones up for foreign SIM usage.

They directed me to the customer care number. I called and told them what I wanted. They registered the pre-existing SIM and set me up for Global and International services with some ridiculous $1.99 rate. I don't think this is what I wanted.

I asked the customer care rep what I could do to use foreign SIMs and he said I would need to register them with Verizon when I got there but that doesn't sound right. I thought if you got a foreign SIM, you got a local number for however long the SIM was good for.

So, what am I supposed to do?

You need to ask them to unlock your phones.

ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison

Don Lapre posted:

You need to ask them to unlock your phones.

Can this be done by customer care over the phone? If not, and the local store (brand new place, by the way) claims it doesn't have the equipment to do it, what can I do? I leave for Korea in a couple of months.

Will Best Buy or those places in the mall do it?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

PorkFat posted:

Can this be done by customer care over the phone? If not, and the local store (brand new place, by the way) claims it doesn't have the equipment to do it, what can I do? I leave for Korea in a couple of months.

They (customer care) will give you an unlock key. When you put a foreign sim card in it will ask for the key. Whether they allow you to have the key or not depends on the phone/account/policy

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

PorkFat posted:

Call the global support hotline at 800-711-8300

They have rules on unlocking - you need to be in good standing as a customer (no late bills) for at least 60 days, the phone you are unlocking has to be active on a line, and you only get one unlock every 10 months per line.

ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison
Cool, thank you all for your help. I'll just stick to unlocking my Trophy right now and ask specifically to unlock it for global SIM usage. I'll see what they say.

Is everybody I'm dealing with being obtuse on purpose in order to avoid this procedure? I see unlocked phones going for much higher prices on eBay so I'm guessing that has something to do with it.

Does the store actually have to have a specific "system" or "setup" in order to unlock it or are they blowing smoke up my rear end?

Oh, and on a separate note, I talked with customer care and they offered %25 off a 3G network extender, which is better than nothing considering it's my house's metal roof blocking my signal and not a tower condition.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Went to a different Costco today and was told they'd have no problem exchanging my Bionic for a different phone within the 90 day window, so ymmv on that I guess.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Went to a Verizon corporate store tonight and got to play with a Droid RAZR. My only 2 thoughts were "holy crap this thing is tall" and "holy crap this screen is beautiful."

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Anyone have a Rezound? I've been waiting on the Galaxy Nexus but there are several things pushing me towards the Rezound (lovely name, though):

1. The delays, (apparent) hardware issues, and the already-known drawbacks of the GN.

2. Amazon lists the double data promotion as ending 11/30 while the GN has been pushed back to the second week of December. I understand nobody knows for sure when it will end, but I don't want to get stuck with 2gb/mo.

3. Rezound is $.01 on Amazon Wireless this week. I had budgeted for a $300+tax purchase this month, not having that would be very, very nice. Getting it from Amazon means I wouldn't be able to swap it for a GN, but on the other hand I'd be paying the full $300+tax on msrp (gently caress you california), PLUS a $35 restocking fee just for that flexibility.

I played with it for a while today: the screen is gorgeous and while it is pretty thick it feels nice in the hand, unlike the RAZR.

Now that I think about it, even if the GN was out I think I'd probably take a free rezound over a $350 GN.

Any first-hand impressions? Am I going to regret getting it?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
So the Rezound hasn't been rooted or S-OFF'd?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Mark Larson posted:

So the Rezound hasn't been rooted or S-OFF'd?

I think they have temporary root, but not permanent yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Magic Underwear posted:

Anyone have a Rezound? I've been waiting on the Galaxy Nexus but there are several things pushing me towards the Rezound (lovely name, though):

1. The delays, (apparent) hardware issues, and the already-known drawbacks of the GN.

2. Amazon lists the double data promotion as ending 11/30 while the GN has been pushed back to the second week of December. I understand nobody knows for sure when it will end, but I don't want to get stuck with 2gb/mo.

3. Rezound is $.01 on Amazon Wireless this week. I had budgeted for a $300+tax purchase this month, not having that would be very, very nice. Getting it from Amazon means I wouldn't be able to swap it for a GN, but on the other hand I'd be paying the full $300+tax on msrp (gently caress you california), PLUS a $35 restocking fee just for that flexibility.

I played with it for a while today: the screen is gorgeous and while it is pretty thick it feels nice in the hand, unlike the RAZR.

Now that I think about it, even if the GN was out I think I'd probably take a free rezound over a $350 GN.

Any first-hand impressions? Am I going to regret getting it?

It's a great phone.. Only downside is having to charge at least once a day with heavy 4G use.. Best display Verizon offers, great build quality/design, HTC Sense is great software imo, and will be one of the first non Google phone to get ICS. Get it.

• Locked thread