Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Son of a bitch. Sure is a GT2554. That sucks. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

FatCow posted:

Those are some really healthy numbers for a GT2554, are you sure it isn't a 2560? 2554 usually drop off a lot more near redline.

Dynojet

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

destructo posted:

Dynojet

Agreed, but the power range still looks (and feels) awfully nice.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You need more power?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Blaise posted:

Agreed, but the power range still looks (and feels) awfully nice.
Yep, just saying that since it's a Dynojet, hitting that number isn't getting to the point where you'd see the drop off that he mentioned. Is the engine built? If not, you're really not going to gain much by switching anyway since you're brushing up on the max that I'd run on a stock block.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Stock block. I'm happy with it. I spoke to Bill at FlyinMiata and he said that the 2554 is pretty well matched to the 1.6. My concern was that the intake charge would be hotter with the 2554 during extended track use, but he said that as long as I watch the coolant temps it should be no problem. Car already has a big Koyo radiator so I might invest in some nice fans.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Fans should be fine. Look at an oil cooler and look into putting some effort into ducting.

Admiral Snuggles
Dec 12, 2008

:qq: Freedom :qq:
Carfax checks out on the Miata. Unless the test drive is very disappointing or I don't fit in the car (I'm like 5'11) there's a good chance I'll try to get it. How do I sound knowledgeable whilst haggling the price down to a cool 13.3k?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
craigslist.org
autotrader.com
cars.com
kbb.com

Find the average price for a similar car in a similar condition. Don't be afraid to walk.

Admiral Snuggles
Dec 12, 2008

Phone posted:

craigslist.org
autotrader.com
cars.com
kbb.com

Find the average price for a similar car in a similar condition. Don't be afraid to walk.

Thanks! Any other advice for negotiating for miata's specifically?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Admiral Snuggles posted:

Thanks! Any other advice for negotiating for miata's specifically?

Timing belts and anything wrong on this list.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Ziploc posted:

Timing belts and anything wrong on this list.
I'm going to assume since he's paying 13k for the Miata that it's an NC, and NCs have timing chains, so don't do this.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

TrueChaos posted:

Alright so I'm 95% sure it's time for a new battery, as it's getting harder and harder to start in the morning when it's cold out. I've been reading about AGM batteries and whatnot, and outside of not wanting to pay out the nose for one it seems like they're not as good at cold starting. What are my other options, and what should I be concerned about?

Just get an AGM battery. They're spillproof (kinda important in the trunk), last forever, and aren't any more expensive than any of the regular batteries that you can get that fit in a Miata. Just make absolutely sure that whatever battery you get has vents. I'm pretty sure I got the Marathon battery from batterymart.com, and it works great, even in the cold.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Lyesh posted:

Just make absolutely sure that whatever battery you get has vents.

Unless it's the sealed Mazda battery, right? I removed the old one that had vents this spring and plopped in the new gel-cell battery from the dealer. I know gel-cells don't need a vent, but just wanted to make 100% sure.

tattoli
Feb 23, 2006
scumbag
Hey guys I'm looking to buy a miata in the next few weeks, is there are reason I shouldn't go look at this one?

https://www.tinyurl.com/bw8kfyp

And if I do what do you guys think its worth?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

tattoli posted:

Hey guys I'm looking to buy a miata in the next few weeks, is there are reason I shouldn't go look at this one?

https://www.tinyurl.com/bw8kfyp

And if I do what do you guys think its worth?
That's what I'd expect for an m-edition in great shape, but I wouldn't pay the premium for it. I'd rather have something in good shape that I didn't need to worry about keeping it immaculate.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I know a lot of people prefer the NA to the NB, but that's a serious premium over an early ('99-'00) NB.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

IOwnCalculus posted:

I know a lot of people prefer the NA to the NB, but that's a serious premium over an early ('99-'00) NB.

Depends on where you live. Here in Seattle low mileage M editions seem to go for about that on craigslist.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
What are some thoughts on a the new skyactiv engine put into an NC?

Admiral Snuggles
Dec 12, 2008

Got my NC guys. Red and beautiful 2006 with 5500 miles. Got a really good deal on it (3.5k below kbb/nada). Thanks for the all the help!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Grats.

Didn't you use to play SC2?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

949racing is not very good at shipping parts/ responding to people.

Admiral Snuggles
Dec 12, 2008

Phone posted:

Grats.

Didn't you use to play SC2?

Yep. Which was u?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
^^ Phone. I was/is bad.

Piano posted:

949racing is not very good at shipping parts/ responding to people.

They're at an endurance race. Look at Emilio's facebook.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Still, it's been over a month now since I ordered :/

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Endlinks?

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I ordered 15x8 6ULs from 949 the day before thanksgiving and they shipped same day.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I never had a problem with Emilio. He always emailed me back quick too.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Ugh. The paint on my 95M is starting to haze on the bubble part of the hood, I expected it to happen once I lost my garage but I didn't expect it to happen so soon. It isn't too bad yet, and the rest of the paint isn't perfect(coming up on 125,xxxmiles), but is there anything I can do to stop it?

ninja edit: I'll post pictures as soon as I find the card reader for my camera

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Ugh. The paint on my 95M is starting to haze on the bubble part of the hood, I expected it to happen once I lost my garage but I didn't expect it to happen so soon. It isn't too bad yet, and the rest of the paint isn't perfect(coming up on 125,xxxmiles), but is there anything I can do to stop it?

ninja edit: I'll post pictures as soon as I find the card reader for my camera

You can't stop it but you can slow it down by keeping it covered with a good sealant or wax and then just not touching it. Collinite waxes are drat near bulletproof.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Well that's a nice color combo :)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mmmm, that does look good, except what the gently caress at the tailpipe turndown?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Mmmm, that does look good, except what the gently caress at the tailpipe turndown?

Car has nothing but an FM test pipe as a muffler right now. That was the cheap solution to get it to pass track sound regulations. I'm gonna fit a nice big Magnaflow under there in the spring :)

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
What wheels/colour are those? :swoon:

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

jammyozzy posted:

What wheels/colour are those? :swoon:

15x9 6UL with LOTS OF BRAKE DUST (not painted that color).

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
Maybe someone here knows the answer. I've been searching the net trying to find a diagram without any luck. I'm installing a head unit in a 06 touring non-bose. The unit has a wire with the install process as follows:

Light green
Used to deteched the ON/OFF status of the parking brake. This lead must be connected to the power supply side of the parking brake switch.

Does anyone know where I could tap into this wire near the stereo? Or at all for that matter.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Blaise posted:

15x9 6UL with LOTS OF BRAKE DUST (not painted that color).

Paint them that color then.

poxin posted:

Light green
Used to deteched the ON/OFF status of the parking brake. This lead must be connected to the power supply side of the parking brake switch.

Does anyone know where I could tap into this wire near the stereo? Or at all for that matter.

Do yourself a favor and figure out whether it wants to see +12V or ground to indicate an engaged parking brake, and just hardwire it to that. It's just used to limit certain features to only be usable with the vehicle stopped.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Do yourself a favor and figure out whether it wants to see +12V or ground to indicate an engaged parking brake, and just hardwire it to that. It's just used to limit certain features to only be usable with the vehicle stopped.

The head unit (pioneer mvh-p7300) requires a relay to do disable this, which is fine. The problem is I like to use the auto-eq feature of the head unit which needs to have that relay disconnected before use. You wouldn't think it would be used much but I've had to auto-eq my last car a lot due to lost settings on the head unit, disconnected battery, and any change in components. It would be a mammoth pain in the rear end to take the radio out and disconnect this every time. Playing video on the 3" screen isn't very important to me.

Edit: I think it's the blue/yellow wire. Now to find it. I haven't torn apart the radio yet but I hope there is something back there.

poxin fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 29, 2011

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Hey guys ive got a weird problem that stumped even my local mechanic.

Im no greasemonkey, i can rotate tires and change oil, maybe brakes on a good day, but kast month i took the big step and changed my clutch and flywheel at home :)

800 miles later it all works fine, except for the reverse lights. I must have made a mistake. They come on when the gearstick is put into reverse like normal, but in addition to that they remain on when the stick is in neutral. Putting it in any forward gear puts the light out. (they even flash when i shift) Ive removed the reverse bulbs as a temporary measure, but does anyone have an idea what could cause this and how to fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

Hey guys ive got a weird problem that stumped even my local mechanic.

CPS got knocked out of position?