Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

Since when? It was a major gripe and IMHO still is.

There's a rather slick product from Mophie that sort of helps to remedy that. Adds very little bulk to the phone, gives you longer battery life, and also essentially converts the iPhone to MicroUSB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Guess it's different with the RAZR since all other Android phones have the potential of a user replaceable battery and people get all spergy about the negated potential with the RAZR?

That and, as mentioned before, the RAZR apparently has poo poo battery life like all 4G phones and the standard response of "go buy an extended battery" won't work now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The only issue with that is it is supposed to get better battery life than the standard bionic battery and my bionic already got battery life as good as my OG Droid.

In other words, it's not any more poo poo than any other last generation 3G phone and I never had the need to swap batteries back then.

Also, if someone REALLY has a need for the phone to last a long time between charges you can force to 3G and get battery life as good as any current gen 3G phone.

Battery life for all phones is going to improve across the board when ICS comes out anyways due to more extensive hardware UI acceleration.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
A battery should last from when you wake up to when you go to sleep, no exceptions. That is the shortest amount of time any phone should be designed for, and I will never buy a phone that has a shorter battery life then that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Both the bionic and the razr should be able to do that easily if you aren't looping movies all day.

My Bionic is usually around 70% at the end of a work day and is maybe around 50% by the time I go to bed.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

VerySolidSnake posted:

A battery should last from when you wake up to when you go to sleep, no exceptions. That is the shortest amount of time any phone should be designed for, and I will never buy a phone that has a shorter battery life then that.

Good luck with a metric that sadly phone manufacturers are not aiming for and also relies on a very vast and variable amount of usage. I could see any particular phone easily making that goal one day, and absolutely not making it the next (say, due to high usage).

Battery life is not an exact science by far.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Battery life is not an exact science by far.

This completely.

My Charge (on the leaked Gingerbread) gets fantastic battery life right now with my current usage patterns. That is: I wake up, unplug, drive to work, and check my email periodically and play a few minutes of one game or another while on the shitter. It's definitely better than on previous GB builds, but I still end up with only about 20-30% by the time I head to bed on a late night.

Contrast to tomorrow's usage: I'm off work, so I'll be using the phone a lot more, and I plan on having to charge for at least an hour or so to make it until I get home.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I haven't had my Razr for long enough to comment on battery life, but I expect I'll just leave 4G off most of the time.

An app that could turn 4G on when certain applications were running would be great since off hand I really only need 4G for things like market updates, video streaming, and the browser but for now I'm just turning it on and off manually.

Zakath
Mar 22, 2001

I'm not sure if I've seen this answered, so I'll go ahead and ask:

If were to buy a Razr from Amazon as a new Verizon customer, would I be able to exchange it later for the galaxy nexus? I'm assuming I would have to pay the $300 (or whatever) they are charging for new/upgrade, and probably a restock fee as well, but I'd like to get in on this double-data deal and I am getting really sick of my HTC hero.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

THF13 posted:

An app that could turn 4G on when certain applications were running would be great since off hand I really only need 4G for things like market updates, video streaming, and the browser but for now I'm just turning it on and off manually.

Does anyone know if Tasker has a toggle for LTE yet? If so, it could do exactly that.

Fitzy77
Dec 26, 2008

Ciabatta posted:

Edit: Oh yeah, but probably not for contract renewals in a family plan. Sorry about that. If your Eris is in good shape, you should still be able to sell it for a decent bit (my G1 got $60 on eBay 2 months ago, not sure what the Eris goes for). I got a Charge, and while it isn't too horrible, I would probably trade it for a Bionic and definitely for any of the newer ones, so buying an X2 or Revolution now and sticking with it for the next two years might be tough.

It's not in good shape :p trackball scrolls down constantly and the microphone's broken, so I can't even talk on the phone. Apparently it's a common problem with the Eris, but the manufacturer won't cover it; I tried over the summer.

As for the Bionic, I'd love one. It's just difficult to compare a $29.99 price tag with a $249.99 price tag at this point. I do get how obsolete the Revolution is, though. I'm just looking for an affordable 4G phone that isn't going to poo poo out on me like the Eris did.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Zakath posted:

I'm not sure if I've seen this answered, so I'll go ahead and ask:

If were to buy a Razr from Amazon as a new Verizon customer, would I be able to exchange it later for the galaxy nexus? I'm assuming I would have to pay the $300 (or whatever) they are charging for new/upgrade, and probably a restock fee as well, but I'd like to get in on this double-data deal and I am getting really sick of my HTC hero.

If you want to swap phones, do not buy from Amazon or any online retailer.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fitzy77 posted:

It's not in good shape :p trackball scrolls down constantly and the microphone's broken, so I can't even talk on the phone. Apparently it's a common problem with the Eris, but the manufacturer won't cover it; I tried over the summer.

As for the Bionic, I'd love one. It's just difficult to compare a $29.99 price tag with a $249.99 price tag at this point. I do get how obsolete the Revolution is, though. I'm just looking for an affordable 4G phone that isn't going to poo poo out on me like the Eris did.

Yeah, if Amazon Wireless isn't giving you a Bionic for a reasonable price, it would be tough to justify getting it. Of the first few 4G phones, I think both Thunderbolt and Charge will be better than the Revolution, but I'm not totally positive. I don't know if anyone really bought the Revolution. If you feel comfortable rooting and flashing custom stuff, the Charge and Thunderbolt can both be improved quite a bit over stock, in terms of battery life, lagginess, etc. If not, both have one or two pretty glaring problems (battery life on Tbolt, performance on Charge), although it looks like the Revolution does too.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Ciabatta posted:

Yeah, if Amazon Wireless isn't giving you a Bionic for a reasonable price, it would be tough to justify getting it. Of the first few 4G phones, I think both Thunderbolt and Charge will be better than the Revolution, but I'm not totally positive. I don't know if anyone really bought the Revolution. If you feel comfortable rooting and flashing custom stuff, the Charge and Thunderbolt can both be improved quite a bit over stock, in terms of battery life, lagginess, etc. If not, both have one or two pretty glaring problems (battery life on Tbolt, performance on Charge), although it looks like the Revolution does too.

To be fair, battery life on the Thunderbolt is actually tolerable with the extended battery and the Gingerbread update. Also, supposedly the Rezound battery will fit the TB with the regular back cover, adds more capacity, and is only 20 bucks.

I have yet to flash a custom ROM on my TB that doesn't impart anything better battery-wise than the stock Gingerbread. Every Cyanogen ROM I've flashed has caused more data handoff problems or altogether lack of data or GPS. That said I stayed away from the Team "My Wallet is the One That Says BAMF" Type R ROMs since that all looks like a trainwreck.

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

Penguissimo posted:

Does anyone know if Tasker has a toggle for LTE yet? If so, it could do exactly that.
http://tasker.dinglisch.net/todo.html

It's a planned feature that has been languishing on the tasker to-do list for quite a while now. It's the only thing tasker can't do that I want it to.

edit: a quick read of the tasker forums indicates theres no API for LTE toggle in android, not even in ICS. The dev seems aware it's a huge feature request but his hands appear tied for now.

tismondo fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 23, 2011

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I went to Verizon today and attempted to use a razr. No such luck. They had some crappy software on there that can go over the phone or you press Try Now and actually use the phone. That thing worked just fine for the Bionic, and if I wasn't waiting for the Nexus, I'd think about the Bionic. For the RAZR? Well, who knows. I pressed "try now" and it brought up some loading bar and I waited a couple minutes and it was still loading. So I won't be getting a RAZR for sure.

Also, the thing about the non replaceable battery, there have been times with my droid where I have to remove the battery. The phone might freeze up for no reason where the lock button won't lock it, or won't unlock it and the phone is just totally unresponsive. So I have to rip out the batter just to get my phone back. Shouldn't happen, but sometimes it does.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Neither of those is really a legitimate excuse... The RAZR has a hard reset button config and that demo software is pretty poo poo by all reports.

I'm baffled why people are so :tinfoil: over a non-removeable battery. I've never even really heard of ANYONE keeping a spare battery around until the most recent round of cell-phones honestly. It really strikes me as a pretty petty gripe but I understand how it's a deal breaker for those who absolutely cannot charge a phone at all if it runs low.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

JP Money posted:

Neither of those is really a legitimate excuse... The RAZR has a hard reset button config and that demo software is pretty poo poo by all reports.

I'm baffled why people are so :tinfoil: over a non-removeable battery. I've never even really heard of ANYONE keeping a spare battery around until the most recent round of cell-phones honestly. It really strikes me as a pretty petty gripe but I understand how it's a deal breaker for those who absolutely cannot charge a phone at all if it runs low.

It's not something that normal people do. Only people like those who post on this forum would keep a spare battery.

So yeah for 98% of the audience buying the RAZR the non-removable battery "issue" doesen't exist.

Don't let other people in this forum hear that though! :ssh:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I went through with the exchange of my Bionic for a Razr and couldn't be happier.

The hardware is just SO much more polished as is the software. The screen is flat out gorgeous.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bull3964 posted:

I went through with the exchange of my Bionic for a Razr and couldn't be happier.

The hardware is just SO much more polished as is the software. The screen is flat out gorgeous.

Did the same thing today as well, and yeah the screen is definitely a notable improvement over the Bionic. The rep who handled the exchange for me said that Costco might be doing some kind of deal on the RAZR for black friday. Don't know whether he was implying that I should try to get a price adjustment on friday, but it's worth keeping an eye on anyway.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One thing I really didn't see mentioned much in reviews is the way Motorola optimized the color scheme compared to the bionic in order to play to the advantages of the amoled screen. The black keyboard and black color scheme for the stock (not Gmail) email client and text client is very nice.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

hotsauce posted:

Just wondering, why is the non-removable battery such a concern all of a sudden with the RAZR? iPhones have sold millions with little fanfare about the non-removable battery but the RAZR gets trashed for it?

Is it because you *can* have a swappable battery with every other Android phone? Is that it? Fear of not choosing a theoretically better alternative?

I know everyone thinks that everyone else on this forum is the sperglord, but people are wary of Android smartphone battery life, and people with real jobs and real things to do go for no-fuss iPhones which are dead reliable, or at least that's what the impression is. My friend (Android user) says he will never buy an HTC until he hears that they've drastically improved their battery life, for one.

With iPhones you also have the accessory market including the Mophie. With the Razr that may not happen since its just one phone out of many.

Another thing to keep in mind is that just because Apple got away with something doesn't mean OEMs or MS or anyone else can get away with the same thing. They've built up a tremendous amount of goodwill, and you can see how WP7's restrictiveness comes across as claustrophobic whereas people are happy to play in Apple's walled garden.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Fitzy77 posted:

Thanks for the feedback man. To explain, money's a big issue, which is why the higher end phones are basically impossible for me to get. I'm not entirely picky; my current phone is a Droid Eris. Anything would be an improvement. What about the Revolution 4G? I can get it for $29.99, and it's really the only 4G phone I can afford. The biggest complaint I'm seeing is the battery life, but my Droid Eris rarely makes it through a single day anyway.

Posting from my new revolution.

If I signed a contract id be pissed.

150 off Craigslist. I couldn't be happier. Battery life is drat near garbage and there's just no community support I've seen. Pretty solid phone over all thought.

Mileage may very but I'm happy. You'll need to root and debloat some. Or freeze some of the bullshit. But for what it is. Its not awful.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Also, the thing about the non replaceable battery, there have been times with my droid where I have to remove the battery. The phone might freeze up for no reason where the lock button won't lock it, or won't unlock it and the phone is just totally unresponsive. So I have to rip out the batter just to get my phone back. Shouldn't happen, but sometimes it does.
The original Droid can do a hard reboot by hitting Alt-Shift-Delete.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It's not something that normal people do. Only people like those who post on this forum would keep a spare battery.

So yeah for 98% of the audience buying the RAZR the non-removable battery "issue" doesen't exist.

Don't let other people in this forum hear that though! :ssh:

A good number of my customers, non nerds, keep extra batteries around. Or buy extended, one of the two.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Mark Larson posted:

I know everyone thinks that everyone else on this forum is the sperglord, but people are wary of Android smartphone battery life, and people with real jobs and real things to do go for no-fuss iPhones which are dead reliable, or at least that's what the impression is. My friend (Android user) says he will never buy an HTC until he hears that they've drastically improved their battery life, for one.

With iPhones you also have the accessory market including the Mophie. With the Razr that may not happen since its just one phone out of many.

I agree on the razr battery as you noted - but ultimately it will be just as dependent on usage as it's going to be dependent on the fact that mobile phone capabilities are on a major upward streak, and batteries are not keeping up (even with awesome battery improvements being continual and on the horizon). The only thing keeping us sane is general efficiency/battery saving improvements, such as shutting off cores when not in use, downclocking, etc.

I want to cover the "apple has better accessories!" lack of logic that equates to "I want to pay extra for things that don't cost as much as I'm paying for them!" :downs:

a: the mophie is a nice *concept*. You want to pay $65 to have a battery enclosed in a cover and to do something that is worth not even $20-30??(link) I should add, that the mophie wont' work with anything other than the phone you buy the case for. That's not (typically) a good long term decision unless you want to blow another $65 on another one for another phone. As far as the battery life itself, Iphone has the exact same issue as android as far as battery life: usage will drastically affect battery life (negatively or positively). Constant use (checking your phone every 10mins/doing something every 10mins) won't get you any more time out of an iphone than an android, aka not a whole lot. That's more than enough to prevent sleep mode, power up the screen's display, switch to hspa+/4g/active network, etc.

Android specifically has gone from a g1 which was what, 433 mhz? 533? to 1.2-1.6ghz dual cores, and we're looking at a quadcore mobile phone coming out in 4-5 months. The "10fold battery increase" is estimated at *3-5 years from now*. It's surprising battery life hasn't gotten worse than "you're going to have to charge it every day". Aftermarket batteries do fix that, even mophie.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 24, 2011

Tenacious
Oct 16, 2006
Has anyone noticed throttling/complete block of data connection with an unlimited plan? Particularly when reaching around 8 gbs of usage?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I just upgraded through VerizonWireless.com to get the HTC Incredible 2 and I noticed that under my "plan" through the checkout process that it didn't seem to list my unlimited data plan.

Did I lose it by upgrading? The phone was free and my current phone (LG Ally) keeps shutting off so as a poor law student this seemed perfect for me, but I'd prefer to keep my data plan!

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Crazy685 posted:

I just upgraded through VerizonWireless.com to get the HTC Incredible 2 and I noticed that under my "plan" through the checkout process that it didn't seem to list my unlimited data plan.

Did I lose it by upgrading? The phone was free and my current phone (LG Ally) keeps shutting off so as a poor law student this seemed perfect for me, but I'd prefer to keep my data plan!

You have 14 days to call them and they will make it right.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

notwithoutmyanus posted:

a: the mophie is a nice *concept*. You want to pay $65 to have a battery enclosed in a cover and to do something that is worth not even $20-30??(link) I should add, that the mophie wont' work with anything other than the phone you buy the case for.

The HTC Rezound (for example) extended battery costs $50 and only works with the Rezound. These things just cost a lot.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Droid 4 is (edit: supposedly) launching December 8.

God damnit :(

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 24, 2011

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Mark Larson posted:

You have 14 days to call them and they will make it right.

Oh okay thanks a ton. I'll call them when I receive the new phone and make sure everything stays the same

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I have a question for anyone familiar with Verizon's data promotions. If I sign up with the double-your-data deal and the 2GB plan (becoming 4GB), what happens if I switch to an iPhone (losing the double-data deal in the process) and then come back onto an Android 4G LTE device? Will I get the double-data deal back because I had it once, or is it gone forever?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Mark Larson posted:

I have a question for anyone familiar with Verizon's data promotions. If I sign up with the double-your-data deal and the 2GB plan (becoming 4GB), what happens if I switch to an iPhone (losing the double-data deal in the process) and then come back onto an Android 4G LTE device? Will I get the double-data deal back because I had it once, or is it gone forever?

The leaked support docs that came out when the deal was announced said that if you do this, it's gone for good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Razr seems to be shaping up pretty good so far. After charging it to full after I got it on Weds, I left it off charge just to see how long it will last.

I rounded out about 23 hours before it finally shut down. This is basically the first full charge to shutdown so more might be eeked out as the battery calibrates. I haven't really done anything with the smart actions yet to try to get the battery to last longer (the stuff you can do with the movement sensor seems pretty neat.)

This was a mixture of wifi, 3G, and 4G. There was about 2 ish hours of screen on time, some game playing, a few minutes of videos from both youtube and Netflix, and some recording of 1080p video.

So, I would say a little bit better than my bionic on standard battery. The radio seems much improved from the newer firmware. It spends far less time hunting for 4G and will fall back on 3G in borderline areas rather than trying to hang on to the 4G and have spotty network connectivity.

I don't think I'll have any trouble living with not being able to swap batteries.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Do we have any clue how long the double data promotion will last? If it's likely to end soon, I should probably take advantage of their $35 holiday phone rental program to pick up a Rezound to tide me over until the Galaxy Nexus arrives.

Edit: Further question -- suppose I go onto the double data plan with 4GB/$30, and some time after the promotion ends I decide I want more data. Would I be able to switch up to 10GB/$50, or would I have to pay $20/month more for a measly 1 extra gigabyte?

Thoom fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 25, 2011

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bull3964 posted:

The Razr seems to be shaping up pretty good so far. After charging it to full after I got it on Weds, I left it off charge just to see how long it will last.

I rounded out about 23 hours before it finally shut down. This is basically the first full charge to shutdown so more might be eeked out as the battery calibrates. I haven't really done anything with the smart actions yet to try to get the battery to last longer (the stuff you can do with the movement sensor seems pretty neat.)

This was a mixture of wifi, 3G, and 4G. There was about 2 ish hours of screen on time, some game playing, a few minutes of videos from both youtube and Netflix, and some recording of 1080p video.

So, I would say a little bit better than my bionic on standard battery. The radio seems much improved from the newer firmware. It spends far less time hunting for 4G and will fall back on 3G in borderline areas rather than trying to hang on to the 4G and have spotty network connectivity.

I don't think I'll have any trouble living with not being able to swap batteries.

Just a heads up that the Razr is showing up as $199.99 on Costco's website now. Not sure whether it's a Black Friday-only thing, or whether the price even applies in-store, but it's definitely worth stopping by to see whether you can get $90 back.'

edit: It's $249.99 in-store, but they gave me $40 back no questions asked.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 25, 2011

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

So wait - I was going to pay whatever full price is for a Nexus. But I already have a share plan with 3 lines and I'm not averse to adding another.

I'm sure a coworker of mine has an old crappy Verizon dumphone in a drawer somewhere. Suppose I go online and add a new line onto my share plan with that phone. I know I can I do an alternate upgrade and steal the upgrade from that new line to replace my Thunderbolt. But will I have to put a data plan on that "patsy" line?

If I don't have to put a data plan on, that means I would pay $299 now and $240 over the next 2 years. That seems preferable to paying up front. Plus I wouldn't have to pay sales tax on the full $650 when I bought it.

Posted this on the previous page and didn't see an answer - can I add a $9.99 dumbphone line with a phone I already have, then use the upgrade on it to buy a Nexus and not need to put data on the throwaway line?

If the Nexus is truly going to be $199 like this misfired promo campaign says then it is definitely worth it to do this.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
After seeing some benchmarks for the Nexus (http://www.engadget.com/www.engadget.com/2011/11/24/galaxy-nexus-hspa-review/) it turns out the Razr is right on par with it. And after the recent post about excellent battery life it might be the phone to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

doctor thodt posted:

Just a heads up that the Razr is showing up as $199.99 on Costco's website now. Not sure whether it's a Black Friday-only thing, or whether the price even applies in-store, but it's definitely worth stopping by to see whether you can get $90 back.'

edit: It's $249.99 in-store, but they gave me $40 back no questions asked.

That's interesting. It's $199 in store here, but they won't do price matching to sales price so they won't refund me any.

They said they would if the price actually dropped, but not for a sale.

• Locked thread