Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kitten smoothie posted:

Posted this on the previous page and didn't see an answer - can I add a $9.99 dumbphone line with a phone I already have, then use the upgrade on it to buy a Nexus and not need to put data on the throwaway line?

If the Nexus is truly going to be $199 like this misfired promo campaign says then it is definitely worth it to do this.

I would also like to know the answer to this, please! I'm looking at paying $650 for a Nexus and selling my current phone for $150-200. If I can get a $240 line over two years and upgrade soon for $199, that is almost certainly worth the hassle of explaining this scheme to my family!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 26, 2011

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
Anyone have a not-lovely Thunderbolt battery cover kicking around they want to sell? Or know where I can find one cheap? I'm thinking about selling the TB when the Nexus comes out, but my back cover has a bit of road rash on it.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bull3964 posted:

That's interesting. It's $199 in store here, but they won't do price matching to sales price so they won't refund me any.

They said they would if the price actually dropped, but not for a sale.

That's really strange, considering you could have just returned it and re-bought it for the sale price, which is effectively the same thing. I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't allow a simple price match.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Droid 4 training has begun, expected release December 8.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/25/droid-4-training-begins-at-indirect-verizon-shops/

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Livingsocial is offering VZW gift certificates for $25 that are good for $50 on accessories or a device. The $50 gift certificate reverts to $25 if you don't use it before December 31.

http://share.livingsocial.com/deals/178420?ref=iphone-conf-jp&rui=92352339

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/25/official-droid-4-specs-its-definitely-a-big-razr-with-a-keyboard-and-4g-lte/

Really enjoying the Razr, but looks like I'm about to put it on Craigslist :sweatdrop:

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Rastor posted:

Droid 4 training has begun, expected release December 8.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/25/droid-4-training-begins-at-indirect-verizon-shops/

So does that not bode well for the nexus if they have training on another device that comes out on supposedly the same day?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

doctor thodt posted:

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/25/official-droid-4-specs-its-definitely-a-big-razr-with-a-keyboard-and-4g-lte/

Really enjoying the Razr, but looks like I'm about to put it on Craigslist :sweatdrop:

Hopefully this should be nice and cheap when my upgrade comes next July :allears:

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

abagofcheetos posted:

Hopefully this should be nice and cheap when my upgrade comes next July :allears:

Don't worry, the Droid 6 will probably be out by then anyway.

edit: but probably not the Galaxy Nexus yet

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
It's to the point now where you can't even be that upset about phone choice. I wish they'd slow the gently caress down with releases. Seriously at this point your phone isn't even relevant on loving release day.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I fully expect to turn on my Nexus and walk out the door and see they are putting up ads for the next Nexus.

Anyways, I'm going to go in and ask tomorrow, but figured I'd see if anyone knew anything here. Since the whole get the Nexus while I'm at home and my dad is there to add a new phone to my line while I'm there thing didn't pan out, I'm wondering what my options are. I'd kind of like to not be stuck to a family plan anymore, even if it means I have to pay more. Is there any way to just take my line and make it a single, or do I have to make an entirely new line, lose my unlimited data and transfer my number over?

And if that doesn't work, does the person who owns the family plan have to be there to upgrade a phone if the plan doesn't change? I suppose it doesn't matter too much, if the Nexus is web only, I can just have my dad order it online and have it shipped to me, and make sure it doesn't mess up the data plan.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Ciabatta posted:

I would also like to know the answer to this, please! I'm looking at paying $650 for a Nexus and selling my current phone for $150-200. If I can get a $240 line over two years and upgrade soon for $199, that is almost certainly worth the hassle of explaining this scheme to my family!

Yes, it's doable. But it's just as easy to add a line and purchase the Nexus with the discount, then put the dumbphone on that line. No need to add a line before hand.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

doctor thodt posted:

Holy gently caress. :flashfap: 1780 mAh battery? Goddamn, that's almost as big as my Droid 2's extended battery, I think.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I was fully ready to purchase the Nexus or whatever, but with all these releases coming out, I might just wait until July when I can get whatever the new Droid quad core is.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Those of you that have exchanged the Bionic for the RAZR, what are the specific improvements you have noticed in the hardware/software?

The thinness isn't that sexy for me, I have little issue with the Bionic's size. Mine came with an extra battery and I'm enjoying swapping between the batteries and never really needing to charge my phone but if the RAZR is undoubtedly better and not just a thinner Bionic then I may switch. One thing I would like is a faster camera but I've heard that won't happen until ICS is released.

Pron on VHS fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 26, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Pron on VHS posted:

Those of you that have exchanged the Bionic for the RAZR, what are the specific improvements you have noticed in the hardware/software?

1. This one is aesthetic, but I like the black theme for the keyboard, messaging client, and non-gmail email client.

2. Tweaked lock screen with a shortcut to camera. (I know this is coming in ICS, but it's nice to have it now.)

3. On the camera front, it is drat near as lag free as the galaxy nexus demo was. Huge improvement over the Bionic there.

4. Data is much more stable. It seems like it is more willing to let go of LTE and fall back to 3g when signal is weak. I haven't felt the need to force 3g mode in fringe areas to maintain constant data connection. The phone handles the hand offs much more gracefully.

5. I've had zero instances so far where I've had to cycle airplane mode to regain data.

6. Reinstalled all my apps from both Google and Amazon one right after another and never once got hit with a low space or corrupted apk warning.

7. Haven't had any of my apps disappear so far. (Every so often, I would have to reinstall an app on my bionic because it vanished.)

8. Smart Actions is like a free tasker.

9. Screen is much better.

I expect the app bugs and data connectivity issues to be squashed on the Bionic with the coming update. The camera is said to get faster too. However, it is not supposed to be getting smart actions and I don't think it will get the Razr lockscreen either.

It isn't wrong to stick with the Bionic if you need the battery swap capability, it will end up being very similar to the Razr from the functionality perspective. I just love the hardware of the Razr though. This phone is easily the most refined handset hardware I've ever handled.

I was also slightly worried that there would be more community dev support behind the Razr, but I have nothing to back it up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

doctor thodt posted:

That's really strange, considering you could have just returned it and re-bought it for the sale price, which is effectively the same thing. I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't allow a simple price match.

They told me I actually could do that, but I didn't have the box and such with me and really didn't want to go through the hassle of setting up a phone again. I didn't have the time and it wasn't worth the effort. I'll keep an eye out and see if it drops pricewise that's not a one day sale.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

kstatix posted:

Yes, it's doable. But it's just as easy to add a line and purchase the Nexus with the discount, then put the dumbphone on that line. No need to add a line before hand.

Don't I need to pay for data on that throwaway line for some period of time if I do an add-a-line and buy the Nexus at the same time?

It's just as easy for me to put the dumphone as a new line from home, and then go into a store and ask them to transfer the upgrade to sell me the phone, if I can get out of having to buy a data plan.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Kyrosiris posted:

Holy gently caress. :flashfap: 1780 mAh battery? Goddamn, that's almost as big as my Droid 2's extended battery, I think.

Same as the RAZR. I've been using a RAZR for over a month without any complaints. Particularly love the camera and screen.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

pbpancho posted:

Same as the RAZR. I've been using a RAZR for over a month without any complaints. Particularly love the camera and screen.

Could you elaborate a bit more? Because I was thinking about waiting a week or two to hear ground tests of the battery (and I may just do so regardless), but some good words from you may make me day-1 it.

ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison

kitten smoothie posted:

Don't I need to pay for data on that throwaway line for some period of time if I do an add-a-line and buy the Nexus at the same time?

It's just as easy for me to put the dumphone as a new line from home, and then go into a store and ask them to transfer the upgrade to sell me the phone, if I can get out of having to buy a data plan.

I'm not sure if you're getting at this, but you can't use a smart phone on Verizon's network with voice only.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

PorkFat posted:

I'm not sure if you're getting at this, but you can't use a smart phone on Verizon's network with voice only.

No, I know that. What I mean is, can I add a new line with a dumphone I already have, so that line is eligible for an upgrade. Then, I take that upgrade to get a Nexus to replace my Thunderbolt on my own line and put a 2 year contract on that dumbphone as a result.

If I do that, do I just commit to keeping voice and only voice on the dumbphone, since I'm activating the Nexus on a line that's already got a data plan anyway?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I see that Amazon has a $100 gift card if you activate a Hotspot plan on your newly-purchased Android smartphone.

Now, the cheapest hotspot plan is effectively 6GB for $40 for me, since I get 20% off the $50 price, making it only $10 more than the regular $30 plan. 6GB is way overkill for me, so can I switch down to the regular $30 plan? How long do I have to keep the Hotspot feature active? Until I receive the giftcard?

The only thing stopping me from doing this is that the double-data deal would expire if I had to step down to the $30 plan, making my jump from 6GB to 2GB instead of 6GB to 4GB. Anyone know if that's true or not?

Also, is the $5 text plan gone? The only options are now PPU or $10 or Unlimited?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Could you elaborate a bit more? Because I was thinking about waiting a week or two to hear ground tests of the battery (and I may just do so regardless), but some good words from you may make me day-1 it.

I've had about 24 hours with the rezound. going from the samsung vibrant. I am drat impressed, and 4g drains the battery about as fast as active use with the vibrant. Standby was about 20% drain over 8 hours. Active use kills it real fast basically, but it goes into a super downclocked power save when not in use.

Since people say the razr is even better than the rezound, I am confident it is probably an absolutely great phone. I'd get it now though kyo, considering the $1 phone deal with amazon ends...tomorrow?

I didn't activate hotspot since I'm already sitting on unlimited data anyway, though an extra $100 for amazon would have been nice.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 26, 2011

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

No, I know that. What I mean is, can I add a new line with a dumphone I already have, so that line is eligible for an upgrade. Then, I take that upgrade to get a Nexus to replace my Thunderbolt on my own line and put a 2 year contract on that dumbphone as a result.

If I do that, do I just commit to keeping voice and only voice on the dumbphone, since I'm activating the Nexus on a line that's already got a data plan anyway?

I'm hoping this is possible because that's my plan to replace my Thunderbolt. I've scoured the net and from what I've read it's possible, but if anyone here has done it or can confirm it being done, that would be great!

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I'm making the switch back to verizon, and my first android phone, with the new razr. So hopefully the two phones I got were not chosen poorly

Anybody skip text plans and use google voice exclusively ?

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!
I use Google voice exclusively and love it. Texting from the chrome extension and getting texts over wifi when you're international are fantastic features.

The flipside is if you go out of data range (camping, highway in the middle of nowhere) you can't text even if you have voice service.

On my wishlist for the app are an option to make all texts from any given person go into the same thread (it creates a new thread for each conversation a la gmail) and international texting.

I can never go back to regular texting though.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I thought voice service would also imply a data connection? So if you can connect to a tower, it's (slow) data, but still using the 'net

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today

tismondo posted:

On my wishlist for the app are an option to make all texts from any given person go into the same thread (it creates a new thread for each conversation a la gmail) and international texting.

yeah, what the hell is up with that? still least make it an option... I hate how I have 30 different conversations displayed for the same person.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Roundboy posted:

Anybody skip text plans and use google voice exclusively ?
Absolutely. Verizon and AT&T are terrible deals if you're paying for text, and Verizon seems to have at least Ev-DO coverage just about everywhere. Google Voice is absurdly convenient and useful.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
How long do you have to keep the same phone active on the account when you buy it from Amazon? I'm getting a Droid Razr from Amazon and plan to flip it and get a Google Nexus when it comes out, activating a Thunderbolt in the meantime.

Amazon only says this:

quote:

AmazonWireless Instant Discount Policy
When you purchase your device with service from AmazonWireless.com, we automatically pass along an instant discount from the carrier to you. This discount has been provided to you based on your agreement to (a) activate a new, or extend an existing, line of service for this device with the carrier, and (b) maintain this service in good standing for a minimum of 181 consecutive days. If you do not activate or extend a line of service in connection with this device, or if your service is canceled/disconnected before 181 consecutive days, AmazonWireless.com will charge you $250 per device, plus applicable taxes.

So I take it that I can just activate this phone and then turn around and sell it off after putting the Thunderbolt on the account?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That seems kind of dumb, but it looks like they only care about the service, not the phone. They already sold you the phone, they don't care what you do with it, as long as you keep the service that paid for the phone.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

kalibar posted:

Google Voice is absurdly convenient and useful.
How is the integration of GV SMS on the iPhone? I know it's great on Android, but I'm curious if it's an acceptable alternative on iOS as well as, well, there's some folks I know who might like to save money.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How do you get away without text messaging? Do you just use the voice number for calls and texts or do you tell people to call you at one number and text to another?

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

How is the integration of GV SMS on the iPhone? I know it's great on Android, but I'm curious if it's an acceptable alternative on iOS as well as, well, there's some folks I know who might like to save money.

Free GV mobile app. It does push notification so you can get gv sms message as fast as regular text message. Similar to android, you'll need data for it to work.

But since this is verzion, it's pretty much guaranteed that you will have some sort of data as long as you have a signal :v:

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

How do you get away without text messaging? Do you just use the voice number for calls and texts or do you tell people to call you at one number and text to another?
How it should workbos you give out your GV number as your only number, and based on settings it calls one or more phones when you get a call. I do think it's intelligent enough to not send a text to your home phone, etc. But I have had it for a while but really plan on using it to it's full extent now

I opted for a new plan with no included texts. It seemed to be 1000/$10 or pay as you go

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Hmm, if I wasn't so attached to my number, I might start doing that. (I assume that porting my number to google requires me to be the account owner for my phone plan, which I'm not).

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 26, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Cojawfee posted:

Hmm, if I wasn't so attached to my number, I might start doing that. (I assume that porting my number to google requires me to be the account owner for my phone plan, which I'm not).
Not sure about this particular case, but if you ever need to do "account-owner-type-stuff", you can have the account owner add you as an "Account Manager", which can even be done online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Works fine for me. It's not *quite* as good as the regular messaging app (for instance, if you're sending a text, you can't start typing someone's name then choose them), but it's not a big deal.

• Locked thread