Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gibsonisacripple
Feb 24, 2001

CHAMPIONS
Jeremy Borash ripping the "How'sitgoingeverybodybryanalvarezhere" was excellent. Good show as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

ZoDiAC_ posted:

is that After Dark Radio stuff as embarassing as it sounds

I like how the forum for it on f4w has a no trolling rule

Never listened, but MRP was on an earlier episode.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ZoDiAC_ posted:

is that After Dark Radio stuff as embarassing as it sounds

I like how the forum for it on f4w has a no trolling rule

I avoid the paranormal episodes, but I listened to one about FBI stings and such and it was interesting. It's not a call-in show, so it's not like you're going to get kooks on it like on Art Bell.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I've really enjoyed the few After Dark episodes I've listened to.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

It's actually pretty fun.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
The only really bad After Dark I remember was the one with the guy who was after MRP's or maybe it was after Livid Liquid's. The guy was just boring as all get out.

I really liked the show he did a month back with John Michael Greer just talking about various monsters and mythical type beings across America the best I think.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

gibsonisacripple posted:

Jeremy Borash ripping the "How'sitgoingeverybodybryanalvarezhere" was excellent. Good show as well.

JB strikes me as a good guy, even though I hate his ring announcing. It was funny how he mentioned that he listens to the Bryan and Dave shows. I wonder how he feels about the lambasting Impact and TNA in general get most of the time.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Borh posted:

JB strikes me as a good guy, even though I hate his ring announcing. It was funny how he mentioned that he listens to the Bryan and Dave shows. I wonder how he feels about the lambasting Impact and TNA in general get most of the time.

I'm sure a lot of the people internally in TNA agree with many of the points. Most if it is valid criticism, just people like Bischoff and Russo don't respond well to criticism at all.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Bryan's disdain for AJ's jumping slayed me.

"She's just a natural heel."

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Never listened, but MRP was on an earlier episode.

Livid was on one too.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
When Bryan does the Bingo Granny bit he mentions a new New Age Outlaws shoot. Does anyone know where to get it? The RF Video and Highspots versions are both pre-2007

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
"And there's John Cena, grinning like an rear end in a top hat" combined with their pinning down why he sucks since they had The Rock to contrast him with.

I wonder if Bryan will play The...sorry, Da Crusher's version of "Roll Out the Barrel" for Granny this week.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Perigryn posted:

"And there's John Cena, grinning like an rear end in a top hat" combined with their pinning down why he sucks since they had The Rock to contrast him with.

I wonder if Bryan will play The...sorry, Da Crusher's version of "Roll Out the Barrel" for Granny this week.

The way their audio system is set up, guest callers can't hear any drops that Bryan is playing in studio.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

maniacripper posted:

When Bryan does the Bingo Granny bit he mentions a new New Age Outlaws shoot. Does anyone know where to get it? The RF Video and Highspots versions are both pre-2007
http://outlaws.thisiswrestling.com/dvd/

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
I watched one of the older ones last week, it was awful. They both just came off as massive douchebags.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
The last Olympics were as clean as FCW.

Laughter

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

The way their audio system is set up, guest callers can't hear any drops that Bryan is playing in studio.

I think they solved this the last time Bryan had Vinny on via phone when he and his wife went on vacation?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
New AOW with Tommy Dreamer is up. Touching beginning with Colt saying goodbye to Bison.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Briscoe Fever on yesterday's Bryan & Vinnie show is the best song ever.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cactus Jack posted:

Briscoe Fever on yesterday's Bryan & Vinnie show is the best song ever.

I fell asleep on the couch and woke up to that song. It was totally bizarre and awesome at the same time.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

young alan has a free 90 minute chat with excalibur

http://www.f4wonline.com/component/content/article/105-dr-keith/23146-free-today-nov-26-dr-keith-presents-chillin-with-our-excalipal

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Ahhh it's been a long time!!! These shows are always really really fun. Excalibur is so damned awesome.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

HulkaMatt posted:

Ahhh it's been a long time!!! These shows are always really really fun. Excalibur is so damned awesome.

He really is - it's nice that guys like him and Quack are around to counter the stereotype that all wrestlers are inarticulate rednecks.

And the Tommy Dreamer episode of AOW is great. Colt's had a string of good episodes lately.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CombineThresher posted:

He really is - it's nice that guys like him and Quack are around to counter the stereotype that all wrestlers are inarticulate rednecks.

And the Tommy Dreamer episode of AOW is great. Colt's had a string of good episodes lately.

I would love to hear a whole ECW episode, that would be great.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

LordPants posted:

I would love to hear a whole ECW episode, that would be great.

Me too, but hearing about his IWCCW days was really interesting. He's gone into his ECW stuff before, but I'd love to hear him rag on Raven and Sandman for an hour.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I felt bad for Tommy though, he sounded like he genuinely believes wrestling is hosed. And Colt sounded pretty drat shaken up saying goodbye to Bison :(

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
So listening to the last Bryan and Vinny Show I have come to the conclusion that Bryan is an rear end, sometimes he reminds me a hell of a lot of Michael Cole.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 27, 2011

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

That was a really funny story about the Nasty Boys. :)

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Sue Denim posted:

So listening to the last Bryan and Vinny Show I have come to the conclusion that Bryan is an rear end, sometimes he reminds me a hell of a lot of Michael Cole.

I can't be the only person who subscribes soley for Meltzer and views Bryan as a sidekick at best. I've never been able to get through Bryan and Vinny. Just not my idea of entertainment.

I dunno, I'm being a little hard on him I guess but his hyperbole and his tendency to get louder when he wants to bitch just grates. . . No thank you Bryan~~~!! That said, I like his occasional non-Dave episodes like the WCW episode. He just needs to settle down and he can be decent. So in that, yes, you can draw parallels to Michael Cole!

(The Figure 4 Weekly Newsletter is largely redundant though)

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Sue Denim posted:

This is the conclusion I've come to from the free shows. How anyone has the money to pay for this every month, when something like the LAW is free, is beyond me. The four LAW shows is as much wrestling talk as I can physically withstand in a week.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

flashy_mcflash posted:

This is the conclusion I've come to from the free shows. How anyone has the money to pay for this every month, when something like the LAW is free, is beyond me. The four LAW shows is as much wrestling talk as I can physically withstand in a week.

I cannot stand the LAW.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I cannot stand the LAW.

Is it SO much worse than Bryan and Vinny though? I dunno, maybe I lower my standards for the LAW because it's free, but considering that you get the same news from Meltzer via his appearance on the Sunday LAW as well as through other means, that ten bucks a month seems kinda steep. Just my opinion though.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

flashy_mcflash posted:

Is it SO much worse than Bryan and Vinny though? I dunno, maybe I lower my standards for the LAW because it's free, but considering that you get the same news from Meltzer via his appearance on the Sunday LAW as well as through other means, that ten bucks a month seems kinda steep. Just my opinion though.

I like B&V most times. Bryan can be intensely grating, and I skip the granny segments, but I don't think a single episode in the last few months has failed to give me at least one very legitimate laugh.

Really though, I subscribe for Dave. While we're all aware of Dave's deficiencies in conversation, he is such a fountain of knowledge that hearing him 3 to 4 hours a week makes the ten dollars easier to part with. When he goes of on tangents on wrestling history, it's so satisfying as a wrestling fan. And the Observer Newsletter can't be beaten.

And to be fair, if I didn't have a 45 minute commute to work everyday, I might be less inclined to get a subscription.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I like B&V most times. Bryan can be intensely grating, and I skip the granny segments, but I don't think a single episode in the last few months has failed to give me at least one very legitimate laugh.

Really though, I subscribe for Dave. While we're all aware of Dave's deficiencies in conversation, he is such a fountain of knowledge that hearing him 3 to 4 hours a week makes the ten dollars easier to part with. When he goes of on tangents on wrestling history, it's so satisfying as a wrestling fan. And the Observer Newsletter can't be beaten.

And to be fair, if I didn't have a 45 minute commute to work everyday, I might be less inclined to get a subscription.

I'm thinking of signing up for a month or two just to see what I'm missing with the free show, but I'll probably do that closer to Mania when, I imagine, all the shows are firing on all cylinders. I'm still curious though, doesn't the news from the newsletter show up on other sheets pretty quickly? Or is it a more comprehensive look at the industry at that particular point? I remember it being pretty popular when I was in school and folks used to get it by mail, but I don't think I ever read one.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

I normally like Bryan but during the week or so leading up to the Muppets appearance, we had to hear him bitch about WWE creative DARING to write comedy for Dennis Miller EVERY FREAKING SHOW like Miller's the second coming of George Carlin (and how he started a letter writing campaign to get the Muppets back on his local tv station). I skipped most of the audio shows that week out of annoyance.

That said, my subscription has made my work days go a lot smoother.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Are the songs on Bryan and Vinny supposed to be legitimately funny or are they fast-forward material for anyone else other than me? I have not heard a single one that could even be described as humorous.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm thinking of signing up for a month or two just to see what I'm missing with the free show, but I'll probably do that closer to Mania when, I imagine, all the shows are firing on all cylinders. I'm still curious though, doesn't the news from the newsletter show up on other sheets pretty quickly? Or is it a more comprehensive look at the industry at that particular point? I remember it being pretty popular when I was in school and folks used to get it by mail, but I don't think I ever read one.

Here's how I look at it, personally:

If you just want current news and don't really care about hearing someone analyze these things to death, the Observer probably isn't for you. Dave's newsletter isn't going to get you any breaking scoops.

He does analyze things a lot deeper than anywhere else I've seen, though. The guy has spent his entire life researching wrestling, and this gives him a fairly unique point of view.

I subscribe just for the podcasts though, if you just want the newsletter the $10 a month might be a bit steep.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

From the sounds of it, I just need to hear Dave's podcasts and ignore Bryan and Vinny then. Thanks guys!

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

flashy_mcflash posted:

Before subscribing to the Observer, I'd see Dave's news pasted everywhere on the various wrestling sites on the web, and the thing that always stuck out after subscribing is how much artistic license people would take with the news. They would fundamentally change what Dave was trying to say to the point it barely resembled his actual point. On the whole, I like getting the news directly from the source.

And yeah, it's a hugely comprehensive look at the goings on of the industry. It goes incredibly far in depth on practically everything between WWE/TNA/UFC/Strikeforce/Bellator, and Dave's starting to report on more Japanese stuff again, so that's welcome. Really though, I wish they did one free Observer a month or something, to let people sample what it's all about.

Mania month is a great time to subscribe, by the way. And for what it's worth, as triplexpac said, the greatest strength of the site is the podcasts.

Perigryn posted:

Dennis Miller EVERY FREAKING SHOW like Miller's the second coming of George Carlin

Yeah, no idea what Bryan was thinking there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They're both crucial to why I subscribe. I prefer Dave's newsletter but I absolutely love the Bryan and Vinny podcasts.

• Locked thread