Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

thesteelhellion posted:

Still, though, he'd carry guys like Hunico to a watchable match.

If Ultimo Dragon is the best the WWE can do for finding a guy to carry Hunico to a watchable match, either the company is in deep poo poo or talent in wrestling is scarce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Lone Rogue posted:

If Ultimo Dragon is the best the WWE can do for finding a guy to carry Hunico to a watchable match, either the company is in deep poo poo or talent in wrestling is scarce.

True...maybe I'm just being too nostalgic.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Anyone can take Hunico to a good match, as long as they tell him "Hey, stop wrestling like Rey Mysterio, circa 1997 and start wrestling like Psicosis. You're to goddamn big"

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
IVP sale:

"From now until the end of November you can receive 40% off all purchases by using the coupon code BlackFriday at checkout. This is good on all DVDs and is our way to make the holiday season a bit easier on your bank account. For people who spend over $100 in DVDs you will receive 45 % off with the coupon code BlackFriday100"

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This may come across as a really dumb question, but what ever.

I've been watching old All Japan, but i've been skipping episodes that don't have 4+ star matches on them. Which is stupid because all the matches blur together and they all seem good (But those famous six star matches are something else).

But I've come into another problem, I think I'm missing the angles. But I'm having problems deducing what the angles are. You can always tell what the story is in the match, but not so good on the angles.

I did see one where someone will team up with Misawa and Kenta and eat the pin. Then a few weeks later they'll team up again, only this time the guy will overcome the odds and finally win and that's awesome. Are there anything more to the angles than that? Should I be watching week in week out?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
It's a reasonable question for a puro newbie. The answer is that angles in All Japan are few and far between. Here's a list of Stuff That Can Happen:

1. Someone changes alliances/stables. Very rare, usually done because of someone leaving the full-time roster.

2. Someone gets a big win over a higher-ranked opponent, or, the big name in a tag is the one who gets beat. Rare.

3. One of the 'middle' guys in a 6-man gets beat. Semi-rare.

4. One of the juniors (Kikuchi, Ogawa, Fuchi to a lesser extent) or young boys (Akiyama, Omori, Asako in '92-'94) gets beat. This is the default event and it means nothing. But it is what makes #2 so special when it does happen. Unlike in WWE where a guy debuts and within a month can beat ten year veterans, or where three losses is a massive losing streak and it means something.

5. Same as #4, but one of the big names suffers an injury. This will often be returned to long after it heals. Injuries are usually legit to at least some extent.

That help? If you have a question about a specific match I'll go into details on the background.

-----------------------

Bison Smith died in Puerto Rico. Something heart-related.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bison Smith :(:(:(

I liked him. Met him at the ROH Indianapolis show, nice guy.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
A bit surprised to hear about Bison Smith

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I've seen exactly one KENTA match from this year, and it was a multi-man tag match from All Together. What's KENTA's best matches of the year?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
vs Takayama 1/15; 6-man tag on 9/11; vs Sugiura 10/10

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Rikio is retiring due to a neck injury.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Is that the guy that took that terrible bump at a NOAH show? If not, what happened to that guy?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Ditch posted:

1. Someone changes alliances/stables. Very rare, usually done because of someone leaving the full-time roster.

I wish Dragon Gate would take that as advice. They burn through stables on a weekly basis, it seems, and it's impossible to keep up with.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

LordPants posted:

Is that the guy that took that terrible bump at a NOAH show? If not, what happened to that guy?

It was Yoshinari Ogawa who got injured, and he's has been out since. There hasn't been a major update, but that's probably due to the horrible news across NOAH the past week.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

CombineThresher posted:

I wish Dragon Gate would take that as advice. They burn through stables on a weekly basis, it seems, and it's impossible to keep up with.

A big reason why I stopped giving a gently caress about DG is right there. M2K fighting C-MAX was pretty drat awesome back in the day, but the amount of stable changes opposed with the comparatively low roster turnover is ridiculous.

That and most of the Ultimo trained guys get real old to watch real fast.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

dg has had two main stables the majority of the year with not many wrestler switches stable-to-stable.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
The problem IMO is the way stable changing is now an annual routine instead of an organic process. And the fact that most of them don't really change what they do in-ring after a turn.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

DDT's next "Anywhere" match will be taking place in....

...A maid cafe!

Takagi and Sato vs KUDO & Nakazawa. Weird to see KUDO in a maid cafe, but Sato is dressed up as a maid 95% of the time already!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Flameingblack posted:

DDT's next "Anywhere" match will be taking place in....

...A maid cafe!

Takagi and Sato vs KUDO & Nakazawa. Weird to see KUDO in a maid cafe, but Sato is dressed up as a maid 95% of the time already!

I know he doesn't wrestle much anymore but the ultimate would be YAGO in a maid cafe. Now THAT would be weird.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

kenta out 6 months with acl injury.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

The Shaman of Cum posted:

kenta out 6 months with acl injury.

Sweet Jesus, everyone is hurt.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Is it just me, or would it actually be really good if NOAH and AJPW went under, then everyone could work for NJPW and NJPW could get hot and get TV and usher in a new era of Puro?

Or is that bullshit fantasy talk?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

That would really suck.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
I don't really know if that'd happen. Granted puro's probably a different game than joshi but all AJW (and GAEA I guess) going under did was further decentralize things and make it even more niche. Of course I'm not sure how big of a thing freelancing is in men's puro and if it'd be something that'd come up if AJPW and/or NOAH went under.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
NOAH and AJ have more wrestlers to shed before they reach the point of needing to close down. But both are struggling.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The scene in japan isn't terrible right now, you still have SMASH, BJW, Dragon Gate, genomes, and produces.

Remember, wrestling, especially puro isn't a place where you're gonna see a lot of longevity in guys. The physicality in modern matches is way more than you'd see in the 90s stuff.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
More brutal than the '80s, but not much has changed since the mid '90s.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I interviewed Bobby Lashley. Since it covers WWE, TNA, MMA and puro, I'm linking it here, because other threads scare me :ohdear:

http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/2011/12/16/pulse-wrestling-exclusive-interview-with-bobby-lashley-wwe-tna-strikeforce-fwe-event/

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Ditch posted:

I interviewed Bobby Lashley. Since it covers WWE, TNA, MMA and puro, I'm linking it here, because other threads scare me :ohdear:

http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/2011/12/16/pulse-wrestling-exclusive-interview-with-bobby-lashley-wwe-tna-strikeforce-fwe-event/

First line of the article.

Ditch posted:

On Saturday, December 17th, Bobby Lashley faces Rob Terry in New York.

Hooo boy, this I gotta see.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
That's essentially what got me the interview, so it's my duty to be a good shill.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Ditch posted:

That's essentially what got me the interview, so it's my duty to be a good shill.

Good interview regardless. Lashley, as usual, comes off as a very personable sort.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I can't begin to fathom how he was driven out. WWE has been desperate for main eventers for YEARS and he was RIGHT THERE and they put TONS of effort in and... oh well I guess someone doesn't like him so he's gone :confused:

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Ditch posted:

I can't begin to fathom how he was driven out. WWE has been desperate for main eventers for YEARS and he was RIGHT THERE and they put TONS of effort in and... oh well I guess someone doesn't like him so he's gone :confused:

Well, he wasn't very good and he sounded like a 12-year-old, but those are smark complaints. I'm guessing Vince lost interest when Lashley wasn't the immediate answer to WWE's problems and let him get politicked out of the company, because unless he's pushing dumb ideas to make himself laugh I don't think Vince really gives a poo poo what goes on backstage anymore.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ditch posted:

flat as gently caress crowd reaction. WWE did everything in their power to get the crowd to pop for him and it did nothing. Then again they were booking him as a power guy when they should have been booking him as an explosive guy. It also doesn't help that whatever emotional problem he has that prevents him from winning MMA fights was probably around during his WWE run.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Here's the lineup for this year's Super New Year's Eve Celebration. It features pretty every indy company in Japan, and they do really awesome things, like the 101 man Royal Rumble, or the 51 company battle royal.

quote:

(0) The Winger [FREEDOMS] & Madoka [FREE] vs. Yasu Urano [DDT] & Owen Phoenix [fu-dojo]

(1) Young 6 Man Tag Match: Hiroshi Fukuda [UNION], Toru Sugiura & Kotaro Nasu [STYLE-E] vs. Masashi Otani [BJW], Daichi Sasaki [Michinoku] & Dina Mido [FREE]

(2) New Generation Handsome 8 Man Tag Match:
Takao Soma [DDT], Hiro Tonai [K-DOJO], Takumi Tsukamoto [BJW], HAYATA [Osaka] vs. Jun Ogawauchi [SECRET BASE], Akito [Sportiva], Kouzy [666] & Misaki Okimoto [FREE]
~ Winner receives personal training from MEN'S Teioh.

(3) GENTARO [FREEDOMS], HARASHIMA [DDT] & Yoshihito Sasaki [BJW] vs. Kazuhiro Tamura [STYLE-E], Kamui [FREEDOMES] & Shimizu Motosuga [SECRET BASE]

(4) Danshoku Dino Produced-Laugh, Don't be angry pro wrestling:
Competitors: Atsushi Ohashi [BJW], Kaji Tomato [K-DOJO], Shinobu [666], Mame Endo [666], Spark Aoki [SECRET BASE], Karate Brahman [Kou-Haku], Guts Ishijima [Guts World] & Mio Shirai [Triple Tails] and more...

(5) SamuraiTV 15th Anniversary Special 15 Team Tag Team Gauntlet Match
Teams:
・Jun Kasai [FREEDOMS] & "Black Angel" Jaki Numazawa [BJW]
・Yuko Miyamoto [666] & Isami Kodaka [UNION]
・Shiori Asahi [K-DOJO] & Makoto Oishi [DDT]
・Shu & Kei Brahman [FREE]
・Tsutomu Osugi & Hercules Senga [Kou-Haku]
・Masashi Takeda [STYLE-E] & Daisuke Sasaki [DDT]
・Hide & Yasu Kubota [Sportiva]
・Yoshiko & Natsuki☆Taiyo [Stardom]
・Sanshiro Takagi [DDT] & TAKA Michinoku [K-DOJO]
・Great Kojika [BJW] & Antonio Honda [DDT]
・Daisuke Harada & Atsushi Kotoge [Osaka]
・Emi Sakura [Ice Ribbon] & Masa Takanashi [DDT]
・CHANGO [FREE] & Amigo Suzuki [SECRET BASE]
・Choun Shiryu [New Beijing] & Dynasty [666]
・Shadow WX & Ryuji Yamakawa [BJW]

(6) Fluorescent Lighttubes Tag Team Death Match: Ryuji Ito [BJW] & Takashi Sasaki [FREEDOMS] vs. Adbullah Kobayashi [BJW] & Ken Ohka [UNION]

(7) Special Challenge Match: Naomichi Marufuji [NOAH] vs. Tatsuhiko Yoshino [GUTS WORLD]

(8) Daisuke Sekimoto & Shuji Ishikawa [UNION] vs. Kengo Mashimo & Ryuichi Sekine [K-DOJO]

I'm sorry, did you miss that?

quote:

Yoshiko & Natsuki☆Taiyo
Best team ever.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 28, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

coconono posted:

flat as gently caress crowd reaction. WWE did everything in their power to get the crowd to pop for him and it did nothing. Then again they were booking him as a power guy when they should have been booking him as an explosive guy. It also doesn't help that whatever emotional problem he has that prevents him from winning MMA fights was probably around during his WWE run.

Lashley was definitely over but never as over as the WWE wanted. It's like 1994 and you got Lex Luger and Bret Hart. Cena is Hart (:haw:), Lashley is Lex. They tried to get him at that level fast and it just wasn't working.

That said, he still was the perfect guy to have in the main event but not be Champion. The more top guys the merrier. WWE unfortunately has a very narrowminded viewpoint when it comes to top guys. You should have several wrestlers who could at any time become World Champion and nobody questions if they are over enough. Now, there's maybe three guys people say that about. And one of them people don't want to see anywhere near the World Title because he's been there too many times.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Flameingblack posted:

Best team ever.

Wait, you're aware that that's Yoshiko (aka the gold wearing, bird flippin' fat girl from STARDOM) and not Yoshihiko* right? Her and Natsuki are a regular team in STARDOM so that team's going to be awesome anyway because they both rule.

*I say this because for a minute I made that mistake. :downs:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Suben posted:

Wait, you're aware that that's Yoshiko (aka the gold wearing, bird flippin' fat girl from STARDOM) and not Yoshihiko* right? Her and Natsuki are a regular team in STARDOM so that team's going to be awesome anyway because they both rule.

*I say this because for a minute I made that mistake. :downs:
Aw....Dammit. There's still a lot of great teams there. Takagi/Taka looks really cool and I've always gotta show my love for Tanahashi.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Flameingblack posted:

~ Winner receives personal training from MEN'S Teioh.

Um...... is this a real thing, or are they making a crass joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Um...... is this a real thing, or are they making a crass joke?
Have you ever heard of the promotion Men's Teioh runs? There was a battle royal which involved stripping everyone else butt-rear end naked to eliminate them, and the winner got to kiss Men's Teioh.

e: That might be two different matches, but it was the same show. Kota Ibushi and MEN's Teioh were commentators. Well, Ibushi just sat and blushed.

e2: There was also this match:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0O2MHQCC_s

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 28, 2011