Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Policenaut posted:

If you're willing to shell out a little more, there's an even easier way to piss off people in Home.

When they updated Home to 2.0, they changed the Theater and included a giant staircase in the middle of it that's blocked off by a velvet rope. If you own the "PlayStation Home Mansion", the rope vanishes for you and allows you to go upstairs. The funny part is there's nothing up there, but just being past this rope makes a large majority of people absolutely mouthfrothingly angry for some reason. So all you have to do is stand just behind the rope, dance, and people run up by the dozens to yell at you for spending money.

It's amazing what these people get angry about, there's seriously a 30 page forum argument about this loving rope.

Reminds me of Snow Crash! There was an invisible wall around a virtual club which only lets members through. As soon as the crowd of onlookers saw you cross the border they knew you were somebody important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

HoldYourFire posted:

Reminds me of Snow Crash! There was an invisible wall around a virtual club which only lets members through. As soon as the crowd of onlookers saw you cross the border they knew you were somebody important.

Every time I re-read Snow Crash it makes me sad because Second Life took the idea and ruined it forever. :smith:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
I just remember being amazed that even way back then Neal Stephenson knew that given a chance there would be SOMEbody who would choose to walk around as a giant penis in virtual reality.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

GetWellGamers posted:

I just remember being amazed that even way back then Neal Stephenson knew that given a chance there would be SOMEbody who would choose to walk around as a giant penis in virtual reality.

Oh come on. Anyone with a decent understanding of human nature could've guessed that. If you explained the concept of a virtual reality and an avatar, I mean.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

ToxicFrog posted:

Despite this, I've still had generally better experiences in LoL than I have in L4D, where as far as I can tell you're griefing someone just by connecting.

I only played L4D online once, and apparently my inexperience with the map led to multiple people on my team being so upset that they left the game. We were at some point in a level, can't remember the names at all, where you have to defend a point while a door rises. Near the door is a minigun to help cut down zombies. Seeing that, I jumped on the minigun and once the rush started, starting gunning them down. This however, was apparently against some special treaty amongst autistic L4D players where the only way to do that area is to stack up in a corner and have 2 people mash melee a lot while the others shoot. That sounds less fun then using a minigun. When I said that, he just left the game with one of the other players.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe
L4D is literally unplayable now.

I have this one from a million years ago where somehow this game managed to complete. I ran a server but a mod I had was a ragequit counter, which made people angry on its own.

Most games never even made it to the point where the other team played once.

Basically if your team has the slightest chance of posing the tiniest challenge, chances are the other team will just quit. I've seen people throw fits and leave when their team won the side because it was close. :psyduck: Also [FRENCH / FRANCE] tag was incredibly good at stirring the hive. Just say something about America, anything really, and off it goes.

I'm pretty sure that a good 80% of the games I played in L4D never finished. Some nights we honestly could not play one single game from start to finish. There is no game on the planet where people quit as much, if even the slightest thing goes wrong then chances are it's time to bail in their minds.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

slovach posted:

I'm pretty sure that a good 80% of the games I played in L4D never finished. Some nights we honestly could not play one single game from start to finish. There is no game on the planet where people quit as much, if even the slightest thing goes wrong then chances are it's time to bail in their minds.

I think this is mostly because it takes 2-3 hours to play one game of versus in L4D, and it's one of those games that are really unfun when you're losing. Sort of like League of Legends, except rounds of LoL don't last nearly as long, and have the bonus of having a masochistic playerbase to begin with.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
"Competitive L4D" wasn't any better. Instead of rage-quitting, most teams would avoid playing better teams entirely. Eximius/Exigent was by far the best American team in 2009 when I played, but they practiced against the other 2 best teams pretty much exclusively because nobody else would risk losing.

Was such a fun game, and the length of games made hard-fought victories all the more satisfying. But it also made "Your team lost!" a screen that people saw once and then avoided like the plague.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Kind of makes me glad that VS Mode is my least favorite part of Left 4 Dead to begin with.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Vib Rib posted:

Kind of makes me glad that VS Mode is my least favorite part of Left 4 Dead to begin with.

This be why I generally stick to Mutations, aye :smith: Those Versus-oriented achivements will be forever beyond my reach.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
L4D was so much better for griefing. Even if you got rolled all the way to the finale, you could just jump down the elevator when it was their turn. Yes, the elevator, because no one played anything but No Mercy and they whined so hard about random Tank spawns that Valve made the second team have a huge advantage.

One time, it was three of my real friends and I playing NM and we were getting stomped hard. One of us went "aw, come on guys, I wanna play! I haven't made the chopper in weeks!". I picked up a hunting rifle and pointed it at him. Slowly, the other two guys realize what's about to go down and triangulate him with hunting rifles while he's still pleading to not throw the round. To this point, not a word has been said by anyone else.

"Sorry man".

We all shot him to death and dove down that elevator doing cannonballs.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 18, 2011

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

L4D was so much better for griefing. Even if you got rolled all the way to the finale, you could just jump down the elevator when it was their turn. Yes, the elevator, because no one played anything but No Mercy and they whined so hard about random Tank spawns that Valve made the second team have a huge advantage.

One time, it was three of my real friends and I playing NM and we were getting stomped hard. One of us went "aw, come on guys, I wanna play! I haven't made the chopper in weeks!". I picked up a hunting rifle and pointed it at him. Slowly, the other two guys realize what's about to go down and triangulate him with hunting rifles while he's still pleading to not throw the round. To this point, not a word has been said by anyone else.

"Sorry man".

We all shot him to death and dove down that elevator doing cannonballs.

Sorry, I don't quite get what's going on here. Something about suiciding near the end of a campaign?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Brick Moses posted:

Sorry, I don't quite get what's going on here. Something about suiciding near the end of a campaign?
No Mercy has an empty elevator shaft right before the deadly and possibly team-wiping ladder chokepoint. Most of the time the Infected rush to the top of that ladder as soon as the round starts in order to set up, since all but the best Survivor team will need at least five seconds to get their medpacks and guns. So, when they see Survivors sprinting toward that elevator shaft only to jump to their deaths en masse instead of going up the ladder, it's a huge cockblock as you just denied them one of the better parts of 60min+ of gameplay.

Doubly so when one of them wants to actually play out the round and you teamkill him so he can't ruin it.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 18, 2011

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006
My favourite mode to grief in L4D was hide the gnome. People who have played this mode may better know it as Healing Gnome, it was a mutation where everyone starts off losing health slowly with no healing items and instead you had to carry a gnome to heal. You also had to get it to the end of the level which is where the grief comes in.

At first no one realised you needed the gnome to finish (not even me). So first thing I do, throw the gnome over a fence when no ones looking. After jumping against the fence shooting it for a while we eventually move on, get to the end only it doesn't finish. We quickly guess that we needed the gnome, there's a vote to restart and we try again. Again the gnome ends up over the fence, because a 'boomer exploded it over' (or it fell out of my hands and over the fence, who knows?). Eventually I'm discovered, but it's so much fun throwing the gnome then trying to make it look like someone else did it that I spent the rest of the mutation doing that. I got so many people kicked for my gnome throws.

The best level to do it in is Dark Carnival 2. In the saferoom at the end there is enough space between the backdoor and the black brush behind it to throw the gnome in, and it count's as being outside the saferoom. Everyone can see the outline in the saferoom so no one gets suspicious, but once the door is closed the level doesn't end and everyone gets extremely confused.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Also fun is carrying the gnome in VS mode, where it doesn't even get you the achievement and only serves to make you totally useless for the entire round. Or using the medkit's melee attack as your only weapon. Or using medkits on people so that they can't move out of fire/acid, but stopping before you actually heal them. But there's one thing that I used to do in L4D2 all the time(you can probably do it in 1 as well, but I never did). It requires you to get at least 1 member of your team to go with you, and relies on you having a faster connection speed that the people on the other team, but the rage it creates is unreal. Basically, you lose intentionally, so that the other team has way, way more points than you. Then, you wait until a round change, preferably to the finale, and load in. Then switch teams immediately. If you and your accomplice both make it on to the other team, they can't kick you, and the game is instantly ruined. If you're really fast, you can pull a complete reversal, leaving the other guys confused as to why they're suddenly losing by a huge amount. It results in massive amounts of rage when they figure out what happened.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Not a grief in this instance since it was planned when we did it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSPWMHg3eU4

But you could essentially prevent someone from being helped to the point that they'd die. Just spam the "help them up" key (E) and nobody else can help them up but as they're being helped up they lose health. Eventually they die.

I think they fixed that locker spot so that if you're stuck on it for more than a certain amount of time, even if you're being helped up, you now get pushed off of it. I think you can still hang off it as a ledge though.

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day
I just found a thing:

Demons souls, for those who haven't heard of it: primarily single player action RPG with an interesting way of implementing multiplayer. While you're online on the playstation network you can see messages and spirits of other players, can invite friends to your world and also invade other players at any time and murder them. Just use a special item and it'll automatically send you to another players world. They can be doing ANYTHING and bam, enemy player shows up to murder them. The game only allows you to invade players that are at a similar level to you, so its meant to be fair.

The grief part comes in when somebody manages to find a glitch. Some spells in the game require you to stand still while casting them, if you immediately switch spells after casting this wait time is cancelled out. One spell, firestorm, causes bursts of flame to explode all around the caster while he stands stil. It's meant to be a huge "gently caress OFF" spell to force people away, but using this glitch allows you to chase someone whilst they constantly take huge damage for being near you. This is generally not survivable. There's another spell called Soulsucker, you have to be standing still next to an enemy and at touching distance, but when it goes off it instantly drains a level from an opponent. It can be incredibly annoying at lower levels where that costs you about 5000 souls (experience), but when you start to get to higher levels, where it takes hundreds of thousands of souls to gain a level it can be devastating.

If you skip to about 7:10 or so in this video, you can see it in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNzbkUbIGZI

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
And to be clear, Soulsucker is a permanent level drain, right?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Dick Burglar posted:

I never got that far in DS, but I feel completely confident in saying that yes, that would absolutely be permanent.

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day

Dick Burglar posted:

Yep, And the casting player gets to keep the souls that it cost the target.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

LordBaxter posted:

Yep, And the casting player gets to keep the souls that it cost the target.

This is something I'd expect to see from the Eve-Online thread. Kill you, steal your poo poo, laugh, repeat.

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

GetWellGamers posted:

This is something I'd expect to see from the Eve-Online thread. Kill you, steal your poo poo, laugh, repeat.

honestly, that would be like stealing someone's skillpoints in EVE after killing them.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
EXP = Money that you drop when you die in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. It is the meanest of games, but normally when you spend money to level up it stays spent forever.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I understand firestorm is using a glitch, but is there actually any glitch with the soulsucker spell displayed on that video? Or is it working as intended and just a grief on its own?

Jowy
Dec 4, 2007

Jesus Christ, it's a Pyro!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I understand firestorm is using a glitch, but is there actually any glitch with the soulsucker spell displayed on that video? Or is it working as intended and just a grief on its own?

Usually it has a hefty windup and you won't really catch anyone with it, whereas in the video the dude is pretty much doing it instantly with the glitch. It's basically double-griefing!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Lord Banana posted:

The best level to do it in is Dark Carnival 2. In the saferoom at the end there is enough space between the backdoor and the black brush behind it to throw the gnome in, and it count's as being outside the saferoom. Everyone can see the outline in the saferoom so no one gets suspicious, but once the door is closed the level doesn't end and everyone gets extremely confused.

This reminded me of a versus Dark Carnival round in L4D2 from awhile back. I went for the Stronger than Moustachio achievement (which calls a horde when you hit a strength test game in the carnival itself), when my team had a very small margin of points. We finished that round down 2 people, and I think we lost overall as well.

It was until after we finished that I remembered I already had that achievement.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Shooting Blanks posted:

This reminded me of a versus Dark Carnival round in L4D2 from awhile back. I went for the Stronger than Moustachio achievement (which calls a horde when you hit a strength test game in the carnival itself), when my team had a very small margin of points. We finished that round down 2 people, and I think we lost overall as well.

It was until after we finished that I remembered I already had that achievement.
You should have hit the carnival test, then as the giant mobs of undead start tearing the skin off of your teammates said, "Oh wait, silly me! I already have that one." And then disconnected, just to wrap it all up nicely.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

GetWellGamers posted:

Demons Souls (and its successor and predecessors, Dark Souls and the King's Field series) are known for being fair, but completely unforgiving and balls-to-the-wall difficult. gently caress up even slightly and you will pay dearly. PvP operates on the same philosophy.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I remember the first time I played around with the red crystal (consentual PvP) in Dark Souls. I slap it down, and shortly after I'm summoned to someone else's world to fight. As my character is doing the teleporting in animation, my opponent bows politely in front of me.

"Gee, he seems nice!" I say. "Let me bow back!"

"Don't do that you moron," says my friend. "He'll kill you."

"Nah, man, he's cool, I want to be cool too-- oh, dammit." Sure enough, halfway through my uninteruptible bow animation he circles around me and backstabs me, killing me instantly. As I lie on the floor, fading away, he bows a second time.

Fucker.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Being a dishonourable bastard is what makes Dark Souls PvP fun. I will try and push you off a ledge, train enemies into you, and use my estus/humanity to heal. Just playing to win with all the tools the game gives you will massively rage the gently caress out of a lot of players.

I haven't gone so far as to try Kiln pvp and jump on people during the inevitable pre-fight emotefest, though, that just seems mean-spirited as opposed to pragmatic V:)V

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

I remember there being a area in Demon's Souls right before world 1-3's boss that was essentially boss room in and of itself. There where 3 mini-bosses who could seriously gently caress you up in a one on one fight, a handful of archers and random rabble that force you to carefully engage them without getting the mini-bosses attention.

So I'd place down the PvP invader stone in 1-3 and run to this area as a mage. Half the time the guys didn't make it far enough to see me, but when they did they were constantly pelted with magic spells that would ignore most shields. If they happened to be ranged I'd just hide behind one of the mini-bosses and wait for them to miss. This didn't work so well on new game+ or with higher levels of players as most of them would just leave when they saw where I ran off to.

For added jack assery just run around with acid cloud or any spell/weapon that degrades armor and weapons.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

slovach posted:

L4D is literally unplayable now.

Basically if your team has the slightest chance of posing the tiniest challenge, chances are the other team will just quit. I've seen people throw fits and leave when their team won the side because it was close. :psyduck: Also [FRENCH / FRANCE] tag was incredibly good at stirring the hive. Just say something about America, anything really, and off it goes.

Reminds me of one of my greatest triumphs of gaming, we were playing No Mercy VS (like anyone would ever play anything else) against a bunch of French guys who were annoying as all hell. Sure, they were probably just trying to grief us, but having people go "0" every time you died as an Infected before managing to hurt them was pretty loving aggravating.

Despite them managing to wind us up with their rushing and taunting, we were still holding up reasonably well against them score wise. On the penultimate stage, as you walk around on the like 59th floor or something with no safety railing between you and a lethal drop, we were the Infected first. The Tank (a huge super zombie) spawns right at the end and we do a pisspoor job of punting their team over the edge into oblivion and they scrape a victory. Their derision is so thick and forthcoming you could cut it. Then came the Coup de Gras. As we are there with our asses to the open air in this skyscraper and their Tank spawns we chuck a gas bottle on the path it will have to take to us and is it charges past we shoot it. The Tank enters an uncontrollable stagger animation and saunters straight off the edge of the building and drops to the streets below.

There was only one thing that had to be said.

"0"

Instant full team rage quit.

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011
On the topic of Dark Souls, I successfully made a level 10 twink.

What this is, for people not familiar with the terminology and also the game, is a guy tricked out in ridiculous gear. The skill requirements for most items in Dark Souls is actually surprisingly low and upgrading your weapons can seriously beef up your damage, and doing this is relatively easy to do (For Dark Souls. So head-bashingly frustrating.)

Now, normally, you can't forcefully invade other players in the starting level, this would require you to defeat a certain boss and enter a covenant (faction) which gives you the item to do so. It is apparently incredibly difficult to get to this at a low level - you would usually have to defeat Ornstein and Smough, arguably the hardest (and therefore best) boss fight in the game, to receive a certain item so that an event will trigger when you speak to an NPC, allowing you to do ANOTHER insanely difficult bossfight. However, this being Dark Souls, you can just murder the gently caress out of that guy and take the key.

So I defeat these bosses, join the covenant and get the Red Eye Orb, the item that lets me invade other players. To get to this point I've had to get some pretty top-tier weapons, and use some armor, and get some strong pyromancies (magics that require no skills, just money to get). So I invade people in what is essentially the first level of the game with 1000hp (Mother's Mask/Ring Of Favor build for those familiar with the game), armor that makes their starter swords bounce off, and a Lightning Spear +5, reputed to be the best mid-game weapon.

This being Dark Souls, however, I play with them for a bit, then make it a challenge. I strip naked and equip the Dark Hand, a worthless weapon that does less damage than an easy-to-obtain Drake Sword, and proceed to punch these people to death.

37 XBL voice messages and counting. I can only wonder what these players think when they see a naked black man with ridiculously large lips (not a racial slur, I just maxed out the sliders) eyes, nose, forehead, cheeks punching their character to death and taunting.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Jesus, people are still doing that "honor" crap in Dark Souls? I never did much PVP in Demon's Souls, but I always thought the idea of people bolting on some kind of honor system was hilarious.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
On the subject of Dark Souls, check this out.

For the uninitiated: the player in the video has dressed up in the weapon/armor ensemble of one of the game's normal NPC enemies, and is standing around in an area where those NPCs spawn, waiting for people to invade him. He stands still, waits for them to assume he's an NPC and run by him, and then kills them. Simple in concept, pretty funny in execution.

Of course, anyone who used lock-on would see through this, so I assume there were probably a lot of failed attempts that didn't make it into the video. Still, it's amusing to see people run up, pause, warily edge towards him to see if anything happens, relax, and then run by only to be backstabbed and kicked off the edge.

Solomonic fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 28, 2011

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

Jesus, people are still doing that "honor" crap in Dark Souls? I never did much PVP in Demon's Souls, but I always thought the idea of people bolting on some kind of honor system was hilarious.

I remember something quite similar in the Jedi Knight community. Seems like it was rife for griefing, I wonder if anyone has a story?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

a medical mystery posted:

I remember something quite similar in the Jedi Knight community. Seems like it was rife for griefing, I wonder if anyone has a story?

There's always this classic.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

This being Dark Souls, however, I play with them for a bit, then make it a challenge. I strip naked and equip the Dark Hand, a worthless weapon that does less damage than an easy-to-obtain Drake Sword, and proceed to punch these people to death.

You should try wandering set paths or look like you're guarding something and confuse players into thinking you're a special NPC or something, that's always fun to do.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Solomonic posted:

On the subject of Dark Souls, check this out.

For the uninitiated: the player in the video has dressed up in the weapon/armor ensemble of one of the game's normal NPC enemies, and is standing around in an area where those NPCs spawn, waiting for people to invade him. He stands still, waits for them to assume he's an NPC and run by him, and then kills them. Simple in concept, pretty funny in execution.
It doesn't seem to work all that often the way he seems to intend, but it causes just enough confusion and uncertainty for a moment of hesitation. Even those that make it by or witness him blowing his cover are usually just off-guard enough to still get killed anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Here's another video with the same idea, but this time he just stands there and sees how long it takes until the invaders notice him, even doing stuff to draw attention to himself once he gets bored.

• Locked thread