Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

Roundboy posted:

I thought voice service would also imply a data connection? So if you can connect to a tower, it's (slow) data, but still using the 'net
Nah. (I think) data and voice run on different frequencies with different ranges or something along those lines. Not totally clear on the technical side of things but I know for sure that I keep voice and lose data all the time in the dc metro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Hmm, if I wasn't so attached to my number, I might start doing that. (I assume that porting my number to google requires me to be the account owner for my phone plan, which I'm not).
You can port, but it's not needed. The whole point is you hand out your GV number (just sign up for one) and in the setup you add the numbers that number will forward to. Move, get a new number, or work number, etc your GV number is the stable one.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Where's the Razr's SD slot? Is it under the back cover or is that only on the Droid 4?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I'd get it now though kyo, considering the $1 phone deal with amazon ends...tomorrow?

Well, I was asking more because apparently the battery in the Droid 4 is the exact same as the battery in the Razr, so I wanted input on how the Razr's was to prep me for my eventual Droid 4.

But good to hear. Now I'm stoked as gently caress.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Dickeye posted:

Where's the Razr's SD slot? Is it under the back cover or is that only on the Droid 4?

It's in an access panel on the left hand edge of the phone right next to the micro SIM slot.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

bull3964 posted:

It's in an access panel on the left hand edge of the phone right next to the micro SIM slot.

Gotcha. I was just curious, since that pic of the Droid 4 has the back cover removable.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Every month there seems to be a phone that makes the previous phone a piece of poo poo. How on earth do you guys constantly upgrade your phones? That's mind boggling to me. Is going through a place like Costco the absolute best way to do it?

Even more than once a year seems almost ridiculous to me, to be honest. I mean, I'm only upgrading because this one is free, and I can't imagine learning a new phone every 2-3 months

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What about Costco is so awesome for phones? Is
BJs the same way?

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

Crazy685 posted:

How on earth do you guys constantly upgrade your phones? That's mind boggling to me.
I don't think many if any of us do that... Especially not every 2-3 months. Personally, I stuck with my OG droid until this September before upgrading. You may be confusing constant upgrades with the 1 time 90 day Costco return policy (see below)

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What about Costco is so awesome for phones? Is
BJs the same way?
Costco's prices are often slightly cheaper than Verizon corporate stores. They also often include freebies (In the case of the Bionic, they included an extra battery, extra battery charger, charging dock, car dock, car charger, case, and screen protector) I think the Bionic's particularly large freebie pack was exceptional, but it made buying from them a no brainer.

The last big reason I chose Costco is they have an extremely generous 90 day return policy (which can be used only once.) It's so generous it'll let you switch just because something newer came out. Some say that's abusing the "spirit" of the return policy and eventually going to lead to us not having nice things. Personally, I was explicitly told by the Costco guy I could do so... so I'm not gonna shed any tears for their profit margins when the time comes for me to swap out. Anyway, that's why Costco is the way to go.

Pretty sure BJs doesn't do the same kind of deals, though I'm not 100% certain.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

Don't I need to pay for data on that throwaway line for some period of time if I do an add-a-line and buy the Nexus at the same time?

It's just as easy for me to put the dumphone as a new line from home, and then go into a store and ask them to transfer the upgrade to sell me the phone, if I can get out of having to buy a data plan.

Nope.

Add a line and get the Nexus, once the Nexus is activated you can log into your MyVerizon account online. Switch the dumbphone onto the new line, activate the Nexus on yours. You may have to visit the store to get a new 4G sim card(it's free).

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

kstatix posted:

Nope.

Add a line and get the Nexus, once the Nexus is activated you can log into your MyVerizon account online. Switch the dumbphone onto the new line, activate the Nexus on yours. You may have to visit the store to get a new 4G sim card(it's free).

Ah, cool, and I realize I need to do this anyway. My corporate contract waives activation fees but only when a 2-year agreement is set up at the same time.

If I added a line with a dumbphone I already had and then tried to use its upgrade, then I'd have to pay $25 up front, and that cuts into the savings from doing it this way.

Chiken n' Waffles
Mar 11, 2001
Is there a place that is generally considered the best to purchase a new phone when an upgrade is available? Both my primary and secondary lines are ready for and upgrade and I have had sales reps from every corner of the earth contact me from walking around. Target, kiosks, Verizon Store, Best Buy, etc... All of the places offer different deals, from selling my old Droid back for more or $50 bucks off the discounted plan price if I buy two. I'm just not sure where to go so I get a good deal and don't get some weird service. Thoughts/advice?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Chiken n' Waffles posted:

Is there a place that is generally considered the best to purchase a new phone when an upgrade is available? Both my primary and secondary lines are ready for and upgrade and I have had sales reps from every corner of the earth contact me from walking around. Target, kiosks, Verizon Store, Best Buy, etc... All of the places offer different deals, from selling my old Droid back for more or $50 bucks off the discounted plan price if I buy two. I'm just not sure where to go so I get a good deal and don't get some weird service. Thoughts/advice?

I thought the amazon.com special of $0.01 phones was a pretty kickin' rad deal, so i jumped on that. I really don't know if it can shoehorn in an upgrade though

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Out of curiosity is there anything that's going to be way more killer than the nexus if I wait til the new year? I've waited since early summer to switch and due to the hosed up disasters the bionic came out late and then the nexus was coming out.. so I've just been waiting and waiting.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Nexus and droid 4 are kinda the phones de jour at the moment.

HTC I think it was, had an EDGE on the way, a quadcore smartphone, which may mean the battery lasts around an hour under active use probably. Meanwhile, that's about it at the moment. That and seeing if other carriers pick up the nexus (and/or how slowly).

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Maybe, maybe not. There probably isn't anything coming out before the end of year but there is always something better coming out. I would just get the Nexus honestly, yea I'm sure there is a quad core god phone that's going to come out early next year but it won't be a Nexus. Also Verizon had poo poo for phones as far as I'm concerned for like the first six to eight months of this year, who's to say it won't be a similar situation next year

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
By the time the nexus is out there will be a new, way better phone coming out 2 months later max that will make nexus owners feel inferior.

Just grab a phone while you need it.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Roundboy posted:

How it should workbos you give out your GV number as your only number, and based on settings it calls one or more phones when you get a call. I do think it's intelligent enough to not send a text to your home phone, etc. But I have had it for a while but really plan on using it to it's full extent now

I opted for a new plan with no included texts. It seemed to be 1000/$10 or pay as you go

Sorry to bring this up again, a little bit late. But how does this work for outgoing calls? I feel like my friends would get confused if I tell them to call me at one number, but are getting calls from me at another.

I know there's that thing where you can dial into Google Voice and make a call from there, but is there any way in Android to set your outgoing number to automatically appear as your Google Voice number?

Edit: Sorry, this is confusing. I want to do this so I can get free texting, so it seems like merging my two numbers is a bad idea. Because then they'd have to text my Verizon number, and I'd have to pay for it, right? Or is there a way, with having a merged number, to block the text on Verizon but still have it come through on Google Voice?

VermiciousKnid84 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 28, 2011

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

Sorry to bring this up again, a little bit late. But how does this work for outgoing calls? I feel like my friends would get confused if I tell them to call me at one number, but are getting calls from me at another.

I know there's that thing where you can dial into Google Voice and make a call from there, but is there any way in Android to set your outgoing number to automatically appear as your Google Voice number?
Yeah, Android has a setting to make all calls go through GV, so your GV number shows up as your caller ID.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, Android has a setting to make all calls go through GV, so your GV number shows up as your caller ID.

Ah, perfect, thanks.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

You can configure the Google Voice app to automatically intercept outgoing calls and have them appear to be coming from your GV number (essentially automating the "dial in and make a call from there" process). There's also an option to ask you every time whether to use GV or not, and a few apps on the Market (Voice Choice being my favorite) that let you set the GV app to always use GV, but then maintain a list of numbers that your phone will call using your carrier number.

edit: f,b; but that Voice Choice app is really useful if there's a certain group of people whom you always want to call using your carrier number.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Install the Google Voice app and set it to make all outgoing calls as your Google Voice number.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Android phones get replaced every 2-6m. Dont dwell on wondering if x phone is going to have something better come out in a few months, cause it always will.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah now that I think back, these phones go through such major upgrades that expecting it to last 2 years or even 1 year as "up to date" is almost laughable. I mean look at how the G1 is barely 3 years old, and is basically complete and utter poo poo. New android users don't even know what the phone is. Or look at the original droid and how lovely it runs compared to basically everything recent, even though droid was a 100mhz bump approximately. Or look at how the original samsung galaxy series runs - like poo poo + gps doesn't work reliably, compared to even it's own loving remake (galaxy S 2) less than half a year later - gps still doesn't work reliably and now you have brightly polished turds (sprint complete signal loss issue for one example).

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Need some VZW advice goons. Got my latest bill and it's a good 100 bucks more than it should be

I called customer service about it on Saturday and the reason for it is because I switched from a single-line plan to a family plan (bringing my wife's phone on) shortly after the start of our billing cycle. As a result, almost the whole month was pro-rated since the start of the cycle was paid month-in-advance for a single-line plan

I talked to the rep for a while and he said it was something that should have been explained to us when we added the second line (obviously), but couldn't do much other than put in a request to waive the 35 dollar activation fee on my wife's line. That still doesn't make up for the rest of the charges

Is there a way to make this right? I was thinking if we could request that they back-date our two phones as single-line plans and then enact the family plan at the start of this new billing cycle it should come out to be about the same amount. I don't know if this is even something they can do after the cycle has ended or not

Kinda lovely, since we're brand new customers (switched to get iPhones) and this is pretty much the first experience we get on the billing side.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

vanilla slimfast posted:

Need some VZW advice goons. Got my latest bill and it's a good 100 bucks more than it should be

I called customer service about it on Saturday and the reason for it is because I switched from a single-line plan to a family plan (bringing my wife's phone on) shortly after the start of our billing cycle. As a result, almost the whole month was pro-rated since the start of the cycle was paid month-in-advance for a single-line plan

I talked to the rep for a while and he said it was something that should have been explained to us when we added the second line (obviously), but couldn't do much other than put in a request to waive the 35 dollar activation fee on my wife's line. That still doesn't make up for the rest of the charges

Is there a way to make this right? I was thinking if we could request that they back-date our two phones as single-line plans and then enact the family plan at the start of this new billing cycle it should come out to be about the same amount. I don't know if this is even something they can do after the cycle has ended or not

Kinda lovely, since we're brand new customers (switched to get iPhones) and this is pretty much the first experience we get on the billing side.

You pay your bill in advance. So if your billing cycle starts the first of the month, Dec 1 you are paying for Dec 1-31.

If you add a phone on december 2nd then on Jan 1 you would get billed for the previous month of that line (dec 2-31) plus Jan 1-31.

If you added the line november 30th then on Your december bill you would just have Nov 30th, plus December 1-31.

You arn't paying anything extra than you would if you changed your billing cycle. The same money would get billed eventually.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Penguissimo posted:

You can configure the Google Voice app to automatically intercept outgoing calls and have them appear to be coming from your GV number (essentially automating the "dial in and make a call from there" process). There's also an option to ask you every time whether to use GV or not, and a few apps on the Market (Voice Choice being my favorite) that let you set the GV app to always use GV, but then maintain a list of numbers that your phone will call using your carrier number.

edit: f,b; but that Voice Choice app is really useful if there's a certain group of people whom you always want to call using your carrier number.

im waiting for my android phone to arrive today, but trying this out with the GV app on ATT and my iphone has both the default text app and GV app getting my texts. But the default iphone app sees it from a completely different number, but it does prefix the texts with the senders name.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Roundboy posted:

im waiting for my android phone to arrive today, but trying this out with the GV app on ATT and my iphone has both the default text app and GV app getting my texts. But the default iphone app sees it from a completely different number, but it does prefix the texts with the senders name.

You should be able to set it in the Settings menu to not receive texts on the device, which will block the regular texts but still let the Voice app receive the texts, giving you free texting as long as you have Push/sync enabled.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Roundboy posted:

in addition to what Mark said, you can also choose to have the texts emailed to you - you can reply to the email (which will send it as an SMS reply to the person). That is in google settings on the website only.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

vanilla slimfast posted:

One thing you don't mention is ... what happened to your wife's old single line account? Since (as far as I know) all carriers charge ahead of time for the upcoming month, when she switched her plan should have gotten a credit for the unused portion of the month she had already paid for.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

notwithoutmyanus posted:

in addition to what Mark said, you can also choose to have the texts emailed to you - you can reply to the email (which will send it as an SMS reply to the person). That is in google settings on the website only.

In the GV settings or phone settings? its a moot point since i am switching as soon as the razr is delivered today, but I am trying to get things set up beforehand since i have no texting plan on verizon going forward.

Ideally I would love to give everyone my GV number, and have it forward as needed, and i use a single application to send / receive texts. Yeah on iphone i seem to get them twice (in GV and stock app) so does that mean i am still getting dinged for the text ?

I am so new to android, is this a better question asked in that thread?

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

Android phones get replaced every 2-6m. Dont dwell on wondering if x phone is going to have something better come out in a few months, cause it always will.

That is true, but I would make an exception for any new Nexus branded phone. These models might as well be the reference model for any Android phone that comes after and have exceptionally good support and updates for Android devices.

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

Roundboy posted:

In the GV settings or phone settings? its a moot point since i am switching as soon as the razr is delivered today, but I am trying to get things set up beforehand since i have no texting plan on verizon going forward.

Ideally I would love to give everyone my GV number, and have it forward as needed, and i use a single application to send / receive texts. Yeah on iphone i seem to get them twice (in GV and stock app) so does that mean i am still getting dinged for the text ?

I am so new to android, is this a better question asked in that thread?

When you set up gv for the first time on your phone it'll walk you through it.

As for numbers, I don't even know my verizon number anymore. I got it and then forgot it immediately because I was using my GV number exclusively by then. (I can check what it is in the gv settings in case I need to go into the verizon store for anything)

All my texting - incoming and outgoing - goes through the voice app. I never use the stock sms app, so my plan reports 0 texts used monthly. Voicemail comes through the gv app as well, with nice little transcriptions. It also has a nice little play button to listen for myself since the transcriptions often get parts wrong. No dialing into verizon voicemail hell.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Don Lapre posted:

You pay your bill in advance. So if your billing cycle starts the first of the month, Dec 1 you are paying for Dec 1-31.

If you add a phone on december 2nd then on Jan 1 you would get billed for the previous month of that line (dec 2-31) plus Jan 1-31.

If you added the line november 30th then on Your december bill you would just have Nov 30th, plus December 1-31.

You arn't paying anything extra than you would if you changed your billing cycle. The same money would get billed eventually.

Yeah, the bill as it stands now shows us crediting back my "paid in advance" on my single line plan but the issue is that the pro-rated amount for the family plan for ~28 days is much higher than if it had been paid up front at the start of the cycle. So no, it's not money that we would have paid eventually, we were actually penalized for not making the change at the exact start of the cycle or just before the cycle (minimizing the amount of plan that would be pro-rated)

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

One thing you don't mention is ... what happened to your wife's old single line account? Since (as far as I know) all carriers charge ahead of time for the upcoming month, when she switched her plan should have gotten a credit for the unused portion of the month she had already paid for.

Sorry should have clarified. We both were with T-Mobile and switched over. I came over first with the idea of bringing her over later once her contract was up, but then discovered T-Mobile was going to gently caress us anyways so I went ahead and pulled her line over shortly thereafter.

So they were both new lines with Verizon. Mine first, for a few weeks, and then hers.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Roundboy posted:

Both in the Google Voice app settings and on the voice.google.com settings.

quote:

Yeah on iphone i seem to get them twice (in GV and stock app) so does that mean i am still getting dinged for the text ?
Yup.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Sigma posted:

That is true, but I would make an exception for any new Nexus branded phone. These models might as well be the reference model for any Android phone that comes after and have exceptionally good support and updates for Android devices.

This. I would still be happily using my N1 on AT&T, if not for wanting to get grandfathered into unlimited LTE this past July. The Nexus phones in general seem to have a combination of good hardware and support that helps keep them usable for longer. To me that outweighs the benefits of a quad core CPU, Dr Dre inspired audio, or whatever.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

vanilla slimfast posted:

... but the issue is that the pro-rated amount for the family plan for ~28 days is much higher than if it had been paid up front at the start of the cycle.
That part doesn't make sense. You sure you're looking at the charge for 28 days and not for 28 days + 1 month?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

vanilla slimfast posted:

Yeah, the bill as it stands now shows us crediting back my "paid in advance" on my single line plan but the issue is that the pro-rated amount for the family plan for ~28 days is much higher than if it had been paid up front at the start of the cycle. So no, it's not money that we would have paid eventually, we were actually penalized for not making the change at the exact start of the cycle or just before the cycle (minimizing the amount of plan that would be pro-rated)

Sorry should have clarified. We both were with T-Mobile and switched over. I came over first with the idea of bringing her over later once her contract was up, but then discovered T-Mobile was going to gently caress us anyways so I went ahead and pulled her line over shortly thereafter.

So they were both new lines with Verizon. Mine first, for a few weeks, and then hers.

Post a picture/scan of the bill. Id almost guarantee its correct.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

JP Money posted:

By the time the nexus is out there will be a new, way better phone coming out 2 months later max that will make nexus owners feel inferior.
Actually I would bet this will not be the case. As others have mentioned, the N1 has/had a pretty long lifetime for an Android device. Spec-wise it wasn't significantly bested until dual-core devices came out earlier this year, and it had top-notch OS update support through GB. Also, hardware-wise, its successor the Nexus S isn't that significant improvement (though it did address the internal space and multitouch flaws). The most significant benefit of the NS over the N1 is official ICS support, but I imagine CM9 will come to the N1 should folks still punt on upgrading to the Galaxy Nexus.

That said, the N1 did have a few problems, most notable are the limited internal storage and multitouch issues. Aside from that, it was a pretty significant step up over contemporary Android devices and pushed the direction of Android hardware (while maintaining its own relevance) for at least a full year. I see the Galaxy Nexus doing the same, and it's not clear to me that a mythical quad-core device that might come out mid 2012 is going to perceptibly improve upon it.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Or look at how the original samsung galaxy series runs - like poo poo + gps doesn't work reliably, compared to even it's own loving remake (galaxy S 2) less than half a year later - gps still doesn't work reliably and now you have brightly polished turds (sprint complete signal loss issue for one example).
The SGS isn't really a good example for this point. Hardware-wise it was and-still-is a stellar device. What plagues it, and always has, is Samsung's poo poo software. The fact that the GPS never worked well on OEM ROMs is more a testament to the fact that "Samsung software has always been poo poo" rather than a comment on how quickly phones obsolesce.

More to the point, the SGS is essentially a Nexus S with a SD card slot and no NFC. While it's not a dual-core wonder, the SGS/NS with a proper software stack (e.g., CM7) handles everything you throw at it like a champ. If anything, one reason the SGSII is a bit less of a high-profile development target is because the SGS line is powerful enough that, for developers who have SGS devices, the SGSII isn't a significant enough improvement to represent a compelling upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
My Fascinate with CM7 ran considerably better than my X2 ever has. Love the SGS hardware.

• Locked thread