Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I like how he was throwing items right in the sight of the other guys and they never caught onto the fact that it was weird an npc was heaving items and dropping shields and poo poo every time they turned around. It wasn't until he started walking with them that they began to notice something was up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade Leader
Jun 15, 2006

Game of Thrones

a medical mystery posted:

I remember something quite similar in the Jedi Knight community. Seems like it was rife for griefing, I wonder if anyone has a story?

Not really an honour story, but one great mechanic in JKII was the kick to the face. The kick to the face was a move that was executed by double jumping off your enemy's face. You had a bunch of different force abilities, and the force jump ability, which let you jump much higher than you normally could, also let you wall dodge (like Unreal Tournament) by hitting the jump button in the air when you were against the wall.

What many people who played multiplayer didn't realize was that you could also do this off of other players, and that it did damage. The kill message was something like "Name receives a swift kick to the face from Name!" As part of the weird honour code in JKII, people would normally leave you alone if your lightsaber was off in deathmatch. This meant that I spent most of my time running around maps with my saber off, kicking people in the face until they died, either unsure of what had happened or just unable to defend against it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4zO7TGZg6Q

This video is a pretty good example of what it is. Unfortunately I don't think kicking was included in the next Jedi Knight game.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

a medical mystery posted:

I remember something quite similar in the Jedi Knight community. Seems like it was rife for griefing, I wonder if anyone has a story?

Well, for Demon/Dark Souls, you generally bow and all that far enough from the enemy that you can pull off the animation in safety. It's more a flavor thing than anything else, and it's actually done a lot by griefers themselves. There's a certain je nais se quoi to politely bowing to someone and then proceeding to toss piles of poo poo at them until they die.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Blade Leader posted:

This video is a pretty good example of what it is. Unfortunately I don't think kicking was included in the next Jedi Knight game.

It was, though in a different way. When you chose the dual-lightsaber (think Darth Maul) instead of a throw you got a kick as your secondary attack. It did somewhat piddly damage and was difficult to land, but it would throw enemies back and to the ground. Obviously this was great to kick unsuspecting guys into lava since unlike the force throw there was no way to block it, you could only try and dodge.

That reminds me of another fun thing from Jedi Academy. There was a map that had a narrow bridge with lava below it. I'd position myself there and challenge people to a dramatic duel. While they were positioning themselves, bowing or whatever I'd just stroll up to them and kick them in their face so they ended up prone on the ground. In that situation you could go for a leaping impale-attack that'd usually just straight up kill an enemy from full health. Now, the poor victim isn't entirely helpless in this situation, as they can roll/flip away if they react quickly enough. Most of my enemies knew this, but instinctively tried to roll sideways since that was the quickest/safest way to avoid this attack, which caused them to roll straight off the bridge into the lava :laugh:
The odd thing was just how often the same players would fall for this. Time and time again they'd try to displace me from there despite knowing exactly what happened last time, and nine times out of ten they'd just end up in the lava again. Honor codes in games are the most exploitable thing.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
Ahh, Jedi Academy. This reminds me of a time not too long ago when we still had dial-up. That was the first game where we ever tried multiplayer. It was incredibly laggy most of the time.

Since we were new to playing online, we didn't really know what to do. This led to my brother joining a random server. According to him, the server was full of people just standing around chatting and bowing. He had no idea what was going on, so he did the only logical thing to do in an online deathmatch game mode - pulled out his rocket launcher and started killing people. They screamed at him for a while before he got kicked. Maybe it wasn't a deliberate grief, but it was pretty drat funny.

I also figured out that the easiest way to kill people when you're new and can't win any fights is to wait until the little bubble with the dots appeared above someone's head. I figured out what "chatkilling" was quickly, but kept doing it. It was even better getting them when they were paused to yell at me.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Blade Leader posted:

JKII

Don't forget the hilarity of the insta-kill back slash, so pretty much everyone and their mother spent the entire game running backwards for insta kills. Boy did the dueling faggots hate that bullshit.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

In case this thread has made anyone want to buy Dark Souls, it's $35 on Amazon right now.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Blade Leader posted:

Not really an honour story, but one great mechanic in JKII was the kick to the face.

Perestroika posted:

It was, though in a different way.

It was still in, actually. It was even easier to grief with it, in fact!

In JKIII multiplayer you chose a character model then could spend points on various force powers. One of these was Force Grip (think Vader), which when upgraded to level 3 would hold an opponent helpless in the air whilst dealing moderate damage. Generally this wasn't as good as it sounds since they could just Force Push you away a couple of seconds later. Except you could just grip them for a fraction of a second, jump up to them then boot them in the head. If you just looped this you could generally kill anybody in a straight fight well before you ran out of force points (mana).

SnipeShow
Nov 7, 2009

That dance wasn't as safe as they said it was.

LordBaxter posted:

Yep, And the casting player gets to keep the souls that it cost the target.

Is there an equivalent in Dark Souls? I'm not going to bother buying it if there is.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

SnipeShow posted:

Is there an equivalent in Dark Souls? I'm not going to bother buying it if there is.

There isn't, but don't buy it anyway. You've got the wrong attitude.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
If you didn't want to deal with assholes griefing your game, couldn't you just play it offline? Yes, again, I realize this is the 'wrong attitude' but come on.

Also, the real issue with that spell was not the spell itself, but the fact that there was an instant-cast glitch that, combined with the spell, made for some serious dickery.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
If you don't want to play a gruesomely punishing game, why not play, oh, anything else.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Solomonic posted:

On the subject of Dark Souls, check this out.

For the uninitiated: the player in the video has dressed up in the weapon/armor ensemble of one of the game's normal NPC enemies, and is standing around in an area where those NPCs spawn, waiting for people to invade him. He stands still, waits for them to assume he's an NPC and run by him, and then kills them. Simple in concept, pretty funny in execution.

Of course, anyone who used lock-on would see through this, so I assume there were probably a lot of failed attempts that didn't make it into the video. Still, it's amusing to see people run up, pause, warily edge towards him to see if anything happens, relax, and then run by only to be backstabbed and kicked off the edge.

So NPC enemies just stand perfectly still and do nothing? This video confuses me greatly.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

So NPC enemies just stand perfectly still and do nothing? This video confuses me greatly.

When you invade another player's world, enemies aren't hostile toward you. So he dressed himself up as an enemy, and stood perfectly still like one of those Dark Knights would do if an invader were to walk past them.

SnipeShow
Nov 7, 2009

That dance wasn't as safe as they said it was.

Mystic Mongol posted:

There isn't, but don't buy it anyway. You've got the wrong attitude.

The game sounds like a lot of fun. I don't mind dying, and I don't mind punishments for dying. I used to play a Jedi in SWG back when death by bounty hunter meant 2 days work down the drain, but having a bounty on your head meant you hosed up, so it was forgivable. Am I wrong in thinking the issue I quoted is a substantially worse punishment than most deaths in the game? The way I read it, it doesn't even matter if you win the fight, you still suffer a level loss. If I'm off, fine, I won't buy it and thank you for the advice. If I'm not, a preemptive gently caress you for the attitude I suppose.

For content: SWG has probably already been discussed, but I had a field day when they released Mustafar, the lava planet from Episode 3. The lava was pretty much instant death, but you could cross them with vehicles, and you the expansion came with multi-person vehicles. I made it a habit to trick rebel scum into getting in my skiff (there's a badge over here!), park it over the lava for a few minutes, then put it away, killing us both (though I did manage to survive once or twice). I had to stop when the community raged at me over the server forums.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

SnipeShow posted:

The game sounds like a lot of fun. I don't mind dying, and I don't mind punishments for dying. I used to play a Jedi in SWG back when death by bounty hunter meant 2 days work down the drain, but having a bounty on your head meant you hosed up, so it was forgivable. Am I wrong in thinking the issue I quoted is a substantially worse punishment than most deaths in the game? The way I read it, it doesn't even matter if you win the fight, you still suffer a level loss. If I'm off, fine, I won't buy it and thank you for the advice. If I'm not, a preemptive gently caress you for the attitude I suppose.

The game will kill you every single chance it gets and then some and you'll loose all of your hard earned cash as soon as you have enough to buy that shiny bauble you wanted. And don't expect to start it up and instantly start loving with people for a while.

SeriousCrimesUnit
Jul 12, 2010

If I ever see you in this city again, God help you.

Sammus posted:

The game will kill you every single chance it gets and then some and you'll loose all of your hard earned cash as soon as you have enough to buy that shiny bauble you wanted.

In all fairness Dark Souls has the nifty campfires for saving so dying is less of a pain than Demon Souls. And most griefers don't know about the major glitching, so you're normal band of assholes will simply do the norm and draw enemies to you or simply try to kill you when you least expect it, or maybe even when you do. It's less pvp and more pk in my eyes, but it's not something that should make you refrain from buying the game.

Just watch your back. A lot. And trust no one.

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day
Yeah I bought dark souls because I do like challenging games and Action RPG's. It is one of the most frustrating games I have ever played. You will most likely die multiple times in the tutorial, while exploring you will find enemies that you have no chance of defeating without warning and they will kill you. You will find enemies that you can easily defeat and they will also kill you. You will level up a bunch, get new and improved equipment and then get killed by the same easily defeated enemies from the start of the game.

It's a horrible game but I can't stop playing it.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
It doesn't have a difficulty curve as much as it has a difficulty mountain. The steepest part is the beginning, though. Once you make it past the third boss, the game starts to be give you a steadily more powerful arsenal, so you can use that to kill enemies as quickly as they can kill you.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Is Dark Souls worth buying if you can't do the online part? I like the general idea of the game (including the difficulty), but I don't really have game-worthy internet for my 360 anymore.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

SnipeShow posted:

Yes, losing a level to some rear end in a top hat who invaded your world and killed you is annoying. So is fighting the bottom half of several leaping dragons with unblockable attacks while waist deep in magma. So is fighting a boss from earlier in the game while on a narrow, slippery, invisible platform. So is mandatory plot-advancement death that skill costs you your souls and humanity. So is losing the primary hub save point. So is getting cursed when you're on the opposite side of the map from where you can get curses removed.

You don't want to play a game if a moment's unfairness can cost you tremendous amounts of work? Don't play Dark Souls, you don't have the right attitude.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

Yes, losing a level to some rear end in a top hat who invaded your world and killed you is annoying. So is fighting the bottom half of several leaping dragons with unblockable attacks while waist deep in magma. So is fighting a boss from earlier in the game while on a narrow, slippery, invisible platform. So is mandatory plot-advancement death that skill costs you your souls and humanity. So is losing the primary hub save point. So is getting cursed when you're on the opposite side of the map from where you can get curses removed.

You don't want to play a game if a moment's unfairness can cost you tremendous amounts of work? Don't play Dark Souls, you don't have the right attitude.

You act like that attitude is something desirable.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

StealthArcher posted:

It is for playing Dark Souls. :v:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

StealthArcher posted:

There aren't many games out there that intentionally and competently design incredible difficulty, and the Souls games do it well. Some people enjoy challenges.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zaodai posted:

Is Dark Souls worth buying if you can't do the online part? I like the general idea of the game (including the difficulty), but I don't really have game-worthy internet for my 360 anymore.

I'm not on live and I am having tons of fun with DS. Especially now that it's $35, jump on that.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

StealthArcher posted:

It's not good, or bad. It's just a personality. A personality that Dark Souls caters to.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

You don't actually have to fight anything on invisible platforms unless you are a jerk that attacks everything! The game's real fun, y'all.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

flatluigi posted:

There aren't many games out there that intentionally and competently design incredible difficulty, and the Souls games do it well. Some people enjoy challenges.

Sounds like you guys are ready for some Classic EQ PvP server action if you really want to hate yourselves.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3447313

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

SnipeShow posted:

If you killed them, you got the souls for that level back. In PVP, you got as many souls as the opponent you kill had (while their souls remained or were placed in their bloodstain, depending on whether they were invading or invaded).

You don't ever lose two days of work from Dark Souls unless you do something crazy-stupid. You can expect to die, but your souls are placed on a bloodstain in the area you died, which allows you to collect whatever you lost, provided you make it back before you die again. You can also expect to lose a lot of souls and humanity, but unless you're hoarding up stupid amounts of both, you're not going to lose more than an hour or two of work in the standard game.

Seriously, if you can deal with the bullshit old-school MMOs put you through, you won't have any trouble with Dark Souls. Dark Souls makes you pay for dying, but it doesn't make you spend a decade and a half to get everything back, or even to get up to certain levels.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 29, 2011

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Emron posted:

You don't actually have to fight anything on invisible platforms unless you are a jerk that attacks everything! The game's real fun, y'all.

I hate pretty things.

E: The first time I saw one of those butterflies I was all, "Oh, how pretty. Can I be friends with it?" And then it shat green glowing balls of destruction at me. NEVER FORGIVE

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 29, 2011

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Zaodai posted:

The main draw to the online mode is invading and summoning help. You'll still be "invaded" by NPC black phantoms at times, and there are 3 separate NPCs that you can summon just like you summon regular players. So, no, you don't really need internet to play it.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Mystic Mongol posted:

I hate pretty things.

E: The first time I saw one of those butterflies I was all, "Oh, how pretty. Can I be friends with it?" And then it shat green glowing balls of destruction at me. NEVER FORGIVE

WELP I'm sold. I have this illogical adoration for games where almost literally everything is trying to kill you. :v:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

The main draw to the online mode is invading and summoning help. You'll still be "invaded" by NPC black phantoms at times, and there are 3 separate NPCs that you can summon just like you summon regular players. So, no, you don't really need internet to play it.

Thanks. I went ahead and picked this up since Amazon had it nearly half off. :toot:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

SeriousCrimesUnit posted:

And most griefers don't know about the major glitching,
What should I be looking out for? Haven't touched the game since BF3 came out.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT
Would you loving dweebs shut your filthy asses about this dumb "Dorky Souls" game or whatever? This is the griefing thread, not the "let's all talk about our japanese poo poo" thread. God.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...
You've just been griefed, son. :smug:

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
^^^and I as well :negative:

Slappy Moose posted:

Would you loving dweebs shut your filthy asses about this dumb "Dorky Souls" game or whatever? This is the griefing thread, not the "let's all talk about our japanese poo poo" thread. God.

u mad... bro?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011
Yeah, let's talk about our western games. I was griefed by Skyrim's abysmal melee combat system today, good one Bethesda!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Dark Souls really is a fun game. You don't have to be some filthy weeaboo to appreciate the game. The game does has it's flaws, but once you get into it you can have some real fun.

Plus, they made some changes recently to make it a little easier (if not to correct some glaringly obvious flaws). Either way, if you gently caress up, most of the time it's your own fault.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Nov 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
A friend of mine had Dark Souls and all I remember about it is him getting super pissed off because someone destroyed the save spot in the main hub, then never logged in again so he could never steal his fire back or something. This doesn't seem like a good mechanic but if there's a way around it or whatever I might get Dark Souls

• Locked thread