Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Coolio posted:

Stuff about Skyrim

What precisely are you expecting from a video game? From what you've said it seems like you want an exact facsimile of the real world except transplanted into a fantasy setting. Your complaints aren't complaints when taken in the context of what is possible within a video game. They are absurdly unrealistic hopes and an ideal for a game that has never existed and will never exist imprinted on top of the reality of a really terrific game that has more care and detail put into the world than any AAA title in recent memory, including new vegas.

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Yeah everything in your post is basically what I was expecting/afraid of. I guess I'll have to exert some willpower and try not to rent it. I just bought New Vegas cuz it was $10 and it's pissing me off so much that I'm thinking of throwing it away/giving it away/declaring western RPGs dead and becoming an RPGCodex poster so I don't need another Bethesda game pissing me off (yes I know Obsidian made NV but the core game was made by Bethesda).

If you don't like the kind of games Bethesda makes, then no you won't like Skyrim. It is the most refined of the games bearing their formula, and I personally consider it their best game to date. However just because you don't like Bethesda games doesn't mean WRPGs are dead. The Witcher series operate in a different fashion, and so does Dragon Age. If none of these games conform to what you feel a WRPG should be, then I suggest sticking to JRPGs, because it doesn't get any better.

YOURFRIEND fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh

YOURFRIEND posted:

What precisely are you expecting from a video game? From what you've said it seems like you want an exact facsimile of the real world except transplanted into a fantasy setting. Your complaints aren't complaints when taken in the context of what is possible within a video game. They are absurdly unrealistic hopes and an ideal for a game that has never existed and will never exist imprinted on top of the reality of a really terrific game that has more care and detail put into the world than any AAA title in recent memory, including new vegas.

If you'd care to point out specifically what I wrote about in my review that was unrealistic I'd be happy to address it but if you're just going to paint it like I asked Skyrim to cure cancer then I'm going to feel pretty okay with ignoring you.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Dear god you children just play Skyrim. It won't hurt and you might even end up enjoying it because it's a great game.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
The graphical quality of the world of Skyrim and the sheer amount of detail put into every square metre really are above and beyond any other game I've played, but it's still got atrocious writing, the worst paced quest lines ever, a complete lack of choice within quest lines, skill systems that can STILL be utterly broken with a minimum of effort, an awful method of difficulty scaling (HP sponges) and combat that's only 'good' in comparison to Oblivion, which isn't really saying much (it's still serviceable though).

If you want to explore a stunning world and nifty locales go right ahead, but the fundamental gameplay is just not as good as it should be, and given that 95% of the interaction with the game world is talking to NPCs, killing NPCs or doing both for a quest, it's pretty disappointing.

edit: By this I mean that it's still a decent game and mostly entertaining, but just not as good in the most important respects as what other companies have done before when I really REALLY want it to be :qq:

immortal flow fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 27, 2011

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Yeah I don't think Skyrim is a bad game, and it's better than Oblivion, but Jesus the combat is really hard to get into when the other games I play sometimes are Dark Souls and Zelda. The problem is that this franchise has slowly been turning into an action game with a quest structure set in an open world rather than an open world RPG, and the combat system has simply not evolved to accommodate that. It's pretty much brain dead - I go around clicking on guys till they die. I mean yeah sometimes I can go around and make up some crazy strategy based around using my environment to fight guys stronger than me but usually it still comes down to mashing attack on them if you're a melee dude. The quests aren't even that interesting so far, either.

I mean on the surface it seems unfair to compare the combat in this game to Zelda or Dark Souls because combat is like the core of those games. Well unlike, say, Fallout which has mediocre combat but has other gameplay to make that less of an issue, Skyrim really doesn't. It has hardly any actual role-playing, very few ways to finish quests without fighting people somehow, and in general funnels you towards its shallow combat system whenever it can. They really should have done better than this.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I most definitely thought Dragon Age was a "traditional" WRPG. It was a bit disheartening all the same, because it felt to me like a step backwards from BG2 in almost every way. However, I understand that BG2's depth of character customization and battle system was due in no small part to being based on an already existing system. So I was looking forward to DA2 expanding on DA's system and adding some complexity to it, and, well...

The Witcher, well... I don't know. The main reason I play RPGs is for the combat and character customization, and The Witcher's was pretty bad. However, I realize that there's more to RPGs than just what I like about them, and most people feel The Witcher did those things really well. I never got far enough to see those elements though, because I only played 2 acts and apparently that's the worst part of the game. I'd like to get to the "good part" some day, but I find it really hard to get past such horrible combat.

I'm not trying to be flippant or troll or anything; I understand that a lot of people love the games that I hate (and vice versa). I just get bummed out that I'm never going to play a game like BG2 or Planescape: Torment or Fallout 2 or even KOTOR again. Even Spiderweb Software, who made some really good traditional WRPGs, is going in a more "modern" and "streamlined" (ie less complex) direction. I guess I can't really blame them though; the kind of games I want to play just don't sell as well as the games other people want to play.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
It's a load of bull from Bioware community reps hawking Mass Effect 3 that people just don't want traditional rpgs anymore, that only out of touching aging grey beard spergs and 4chan trolls would have you believe otherwise. Whether you think it was successful at doing so or not, DA:O was an attempt to return to that kind of game and was billed as a spiritual successor to BG2 (which, incidentally, remains one of the best selling pc rpgs of all time at over two million copies). Despite how according to Bioware no one should have liked it it's Bioware's best selling game ever, even outselling "modern, streamlined" Mass Effect 2. Then they hosed up the whole franchise with Dragon Age "Push a Button, Something Awesome Happens" 2 and welp.

Coolio fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 27, 2011

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I think Bioware's really become very soulless the last few games. Regardless of how good or bad the actual game parts were, DA2 and ME2 were very, very good at making my character feel like a pointless vacuum cleaner, good for hoovering up loot and little else. It's like someone took Diablo and put it into HD.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

immortal flow posted:

edit: By this I mean that it's still a decent game and mostly entertaining, but just not as good in the most important respects as what other companies have done before when I really REALLY want it to be :qq:
I think TES games always raise this feeling of disagreement (or hostility in some peope's cases) that the game isn't doing enough to be a full fledged RPG. RPG is such an overloaded term, I don't even know why people bother. It's more the class of RPG that you are playing that sets the expectation. Skyrim is such a sandbox that you're ultimately left to your own devices to fill in the gaps and the people who have the most fun with it are probably the people with the most overactive imaginations. If you dwell specifically on the mechanics, you'll probably suffocate in the long run. It's why people tend to not finish TES games; once the player's creative juices are exhausted, they're left with the gameplay itself. Quitting/restarting a character usually soon follows. See the respective Skyrim threads in the special subforum for examples of this.

Obsidian takes this a different direction of course, probably a better/more flexible direction since you are given more NPC-driven tools to make up your own little story. However in all fairness, they weren't saddled with having to modify an entire engine. Obsidian is also really cool for probably being one of the first companies to do DLC in a mostly good fashion. Which by the way, you can read Chris Avelonne's post-mortem DLC thoughts on NV here: http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/105836-fallout-new-vegas-and-dlc-post-mortem-interview-part-one.html

I've always seen the decline of games like BG2, Jagged Alliance 2, etc as being related to the decline of strategy games in general. We hardly see many strategy rpgs on the consoles, let alone the PC. It's just where the market went - it sucks, but eventually you have to kind of go with it or else break yourself from enjoying any other flavor of RPG. This year is definitely the year for more action oriented RPGs.

Speaking of which! I am starting to get really excited for Amalur: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEEaBSi6vpw

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 27, 2011

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Rascyc posted:

Speaking of which! I am starting to get really excited for Amalur: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEEaBSi6vpw

Ok that looks fun as gently caress, never heard of this before and now I am really excited too.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Not really an RPG but it is XSEED related and I didn't see a PSP game discussion thread (maybe I missed it?) but I bought Corpse Party from the PSN network and it's been pretty good so far, really liking it.

But I was checking XSEED's twitter and they're getting a little bit of flak because a character seriously uses the phrase "Butter up my pooper" in the game.

They're never going to live that one down I think.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

The Black Stones posted:

Not really an RPG but it is XSEED related and I didn't see a PSP game discussion thread (maybe I missed it?) but I bought Corpse Party from the PSN network and it's been pretty good so far, really liking it.

But I was checking XSEED's twitter and they're getting a little bit of flak because a character seriously uses the phrase "Butter up my pooper" in the game.

They're never going to live that one down I think.
This whole scene is quite ... bizarre ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZGc8PSH3Qg

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Is that like an RPG Maker clone of Highschool of the Dead or something?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Is that like an RPG Maker clone of Highschool of the Dead or something?

Eh, that's a pretty harsh comparison. That scene linked is pretty much one of a small handful of goofy scenes which were really put in just to contrast with how gory and hosed up the rest of the game is.

e: Not to mention less than 30mins later you find that same girl hanging dead in one of the bathroom stalls, the games pretty messed up.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 28, 2011

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Eh, that's a pretty harsh comparison. That scene linked is probably one of a small handful of goofy scenes which were really put in just to contrast with how gory and hosed up the rest of the game is.
Innocent young girl goes off alone in a creepy old house to lube her rear end... :stare: butterpooper, no!

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
Guess this is the best place to ask - Does Trails in the Sky have a self-contained story/characters or does it leave a bunch of plot threads hanging for the next game in the trilogy?

It looks like a cool game, but I'm paranoid about it ending on a 'to be continued...' thread and the other 2 games never coming out here :ohdear:

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
I can't believe there's been this many honest responses about games with towers in them. It's such an uncommon thing to ask about.

I'm just interpreting "towers" as "dicks" and suddenly it makes much more sense. "Any games with a lot of dicks in it? I just love really big dicks."

Krad posted:

Every. Single. SMT game. Not even kidding.

:nws: SMT+dicks
http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/eirikr/top-ten-genital-demons-in-shin-megami-tensei/46-15347/

Anyways, too bad about Corpse Party being on PSP since I sold mine. Oh well, I've had way too many gatdamn games to play lately. Still haven't finished Skyrim, and I suddenly get back into D&D Online, and now I'm playing the Star Wars MMO beta.

↓↓↓ Nice, thanks. I'll have to look into it.

softcorps fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Nov 28, 2011

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

softcorps posted:

Anyways, too bad about Corpse Party being on PSP since I sold mine. Oh well, I've had way too many gatdamn games to play lately. Still haven't finished Skyrim, and I suddenly get back into D&D Online, and now I'm playing the Star Wars MMO beta.

I'm pretty sure the PC version was (fan?)translated, I think it lacks the VA and CGs but if you're interested you could still give that a shot.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Eggn0g posted:

Guess this is the best place to ask - Does Trails in the Sky have a self-contained story/characters or does it leave a bunch of plot threads hanging for the next game in the trilogy?

It looks like a cool game, but I'm paranoid about it ending on a 'to be continued...' thread and the other 2 games never coming out here :ohdear:

There's a whole bunch of unresolved stuff for the next game. The end of the game is one giant "gently caress YOU! CONTINUED IN THE NEXT GAME"

I do think that XSeed is trying to bring over the rest though. I wouldn't ignore it just because it's a trilogy.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Eggn0g posted:

Give it play. Basically most of the game is self contained and there's one central over-arching plot thread going on the whole time to connect everything together, which gets completely resolved by the end. All of the cast is pretty much self-contained as well, with most things completed which leaves the initial cast room to grow in sequels. Plus there's plenty of setup in the first one of future characters without leaving you in the dark of "MAN WHO WAS THAT?!".

Most of the game is resolved by the end which ends up unveiling two new threads that are continued in the next game. The "gently caress you" in question is the revealing of the setup for the next game - it's not like a screen fade in the middle of something important with a giant TO BE CONTINUED or anything.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

softcorps posted:

now I'm playing the Star Wars MMO beta.

On the topic of Bioware, how is this from an RPG perspective? I know that we've got a thread for discussing it in MMO HMO, but I'd like to hear the take of someone who's an RPG enthusiast rather than a World of Warcraft player who's a Star Wars sperg. Most of the previews I've found online have, sadly, fallen into the latter, so I'm not sure if the storyline quests really are that good or if it's just people excited that they can swing a lightsaber and gently caress a twilek or something.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Legend of Grimrock - beta trailer

Thing's lookin' pretty good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

amaranthine posted:

On the topic of Bioware, how is this from an RPG perspective? I know that we've got a thread for discussing it in MMO HMO, but I'd like to hear the take of someone who's an RPG enthusiast rather than a World of Warcraft player who's a Star Wars sperg. Most of the previews I've found online have, sadly, fallen into the latter, so I'm not sure if the storyline quests really are that good or if it's just people excited that they can swing a lightsaber and gently caress a twilek or something.

It's basically KOTOR with more action-clicking than automatic combat.

ninjaturtle
May 21, 2004

Best Posting '09
Sorry if this was covered previously but I can't bring myself to go through 90 pages of the entire thread. Is there an all-inclusive post highlighting many of the best RPGMaker games? Or a website or anything?

I used to use RPG Maker a long time ago and it has come so far, especially with clever programmers implementing unique code into the existing system. Charles Barkley Gaiden is easily the most unique RPG I have played in a long time, those that haven't played it stick through the first hour or so and you will have a pleasant surprise as the game fleshes out and the battle system gets very deep with more characters.

The problem is there are hundreds and hundreds of terrible RPG Maker games to sift through so I have been looking for a quality list highlighting many of the fan favorites like some of the smaller posts in the first few pages.

I will love you forever!

e: Better yet is there an entire thread dedicated to RPGMaker? If not I would be willing to start one up explaining the basics of the program and compiling a list of everyone's favorites. These games are a godsend to fans of SNES and even PlayStation era JRPG's.

ninjaturtle fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 28, 2011

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

What kind of RPG Maker games are you looking for specifically?

Hero's Realm is pretty much a love letter to Dragon Quest 3. There's a hero, make a team with three other classes and go do hero-y stuff like saving kids trapped in a tower! Except now there's four parties instead of one and for the final chapter they all team up and you have to clear dungeons changing what party you control so others can advance.

Alternatively there's Paradise Blue with NES/SNES hybrid style graphics and class changing and learning skills kinda like FF5.

Alter Aila Genesis is a post apocalyptic sci-fan RPG that tries to mix up the standard battle mechanics with momentum-style MP and manipulable field effects.

These are RPG Maker 2003 games and since it was fan translated it has some font issues you can fix with downloading some fonts and putting it in your Windows fonts folder. Go to the Hero's Realm link and find the link to the fonts on it. If a game yells at you for not having the RPG Maker 2003 RTP installed google a RPG Maker 2003 download. For some dumb reason it's included with the editor which is :filez:.

If you want a :stare: plot check out Dhux's Scar. The tone at the start is all over the place and hits a lull in the middle for a while until it finally jumps off the rails and gets completely sideswiped by the crazies. This is a RPG Maker 2000 game, the font might get screwed up again but the same font download above should fix it.

The Reconstruction has a different battle system and art style. It's been ages since I've played it and don't remember much beyond that. Worth a look though. It has a sequel/prequel thing called I Miss the Sunrise... IN SPACE.

Fellow goon SCF made two. One is Last Scenario which is a straight satire of JRPG cliches but it suffers from taking forever and battles are pretty standard fare. The other is Exit Fate which is pretty much a Suikoden fan game of big teams, giant character roster with a ton of recruitable characters, politics, and avoiding good vs evil cliches. Also kinda slow and it can be brutal too. I'd suggest going straight to Exit Fate and skipping Last Scenario, it's an improvement in every way.

Check out the links, they have more details on each game along with some reviews to actually try and sell it better than my lovely little blurbs.

Death By Yogurt
Apr 3, 2007

ninjaturtle posted:

e: Better yet is there an entire thread dedicated to RPGMaker?

There is, actually.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3405739&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Pretty much every game posted in that thread is at least decent. You should be able to find most of those games to download at http://rpgmaker.net/

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tae posted:

It's basically KOTOR with more action-clicking than automatic combat.

It's actually more like DA2 than KOTOR, as a fan of KOTOR.

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

amaranthine posted:

I'm not really sure what to say or where to start. Short version: It plays like WoW set in the Star Wars universe. Also, I'm more of an RPG tolerater than an RPG enthusiast... ha?

Longer version based off of my level 18 experience as both a Republic Scoundrel (Smuggler) and Jedi Sage (Consular):

Improved questing: Fully voiced quest dialogue for any quest not received from a terminal (less than 10% from terminals), player and party-driven dialogue choices. The voice acting is great, but in the end most of the voiced dialogue is almost a waste because it's essentially an audio version of WoW's quest text boxes. You can make choices and stuff, but like in the Mass Effect games, your choices don't really seem to matter other than deciding how much of a dick you want to be (which can be amusing sometimes, especially in a group). In fact, so far it seems to matter less than ME's choices. The thing it affects most is your potential quest reward and your alignment points. However, I will say that the class-specific questlines are fairly good and interesting, and so far my Jedi Sage is still on his class quest line the entire way from level one to 18. The class questline also happens to take you along the path of many other quests, so you kind of have this backbone of "real" content to take you through the other stuff.

It reminds me a bit of Lord of the Rings Online, where when you start the game, you're treated to a fairly engaging intro and set of newbie quests. But in LOTRO, once you're done with that you're thrown into a newbie town with a bunch of exclamation marks on the map to indicate quest-givers, and off you go to fill your quest log! I remember I was quite disappointed at that point. Even though I can "see through" Bioware's ruse here, I didn't run into that feeling of disappointment... quite yet, anyway. So far there's enough new novelty to keep me interested. The prospect of playing a Jedi who isn't a bloody goody two-shoes interests me a bit too.

Other things of note include space combat and improved trade skills. You can have your NPC friends do trade skills for you while you're off doing other things. No complaints here. However, space combat so far is uninspired. It's a rail shooter to the core, and you're simply using your cursor to click on poo poo. You can buy upgrades to your ship armaments so maybe later on it'll get better, but at least I suppose it's at least a somewhat welcome change of pace.

Of course, this is all based off of my limited experience -- maybe about 20 hours worth on a character? I'm on the fence as to whether or not I'll buy this. It seems promising, but if after level 20 there isn't a significant improvement in what I've seen, I imagine I'll stop playing after a few months. It helps that my brother and his past MMO raid buddies are playing too though.

My personal verdict: It's certainly not a bad game by any means, and if you played the hell out of WoW or any of its derivatives, you'll probably enjoy this if you want a change of pace. If you can't stand the core mechanics of wowlikes (wish I could say I coined that term), then you'll probably despise this. I'm somewhere in between, so I'm somewhat divided in my choice to buy the game. Not surprisingly, both characters I played tried to maintain a neutral stance between Light and Dark.

Hope that was more useful and less ramble.

Tangent: I really, really wish they'd adopted a Dungeons and Dragons Online type of combat system for this. Clicking an icon to shoot a blaster or swing your saber just seems so wrong. DDO had you at least semi-manually target your enemies, giving combat a hectic sense. There is no auto-attack in this game -- you have to press hotkey to swing your weapon, which triggers a cooldown. I don't understand this, Bioware. Either choose autoattack or choose DDO's style! Christ. Even Ultima Online and EverQuest had auto-attack!

edit: Potion of SWTOR = Essence of Bioware + Essence of Blizzard, distilled via Alembic of Corporate Structure.

softcorps fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 28, 2011

ninjaturtle
May 21, 2004

Best Posting '09
Thanks for the replies! Gonna check these out immediately

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

I just picked up a copy of Infinite Space, anything I should know beforehand???

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

FanaticalMilk posted:

-Some characters have fairly obscure requirements, I'd use a guide if you care about that sort of thing.
-Early on Kira (very early game spoiler) will join your crew. If you put her in the first mate position, you get a special that heals your fleet.
-In battle, all of the enemies' ships will be displayed on the top of the touch screen. Under the images of the ship, one of three small arrows will be highlighted. This is the ship's position in the enemy fleet's formation. Target the ships in the front of the formation first.
-On the bottom of the top screen, your ships are displayed. Above your ships little symbols representing your ships weapons show up, if these symbols are blue, your targeted enemy is in range, if they're red, it's out of range.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FanaticalMilk posted:

When you get fighters, they are hilariously and cartoonishly broken. Abuse the hell out of them.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

FanaticalMilk posted:

If you're weak willed like me you might be unable to start a second playthrough to see all the different options so make sure you pick the ones you care about the first time around. They're all equally good so don't sweat too much about which route is better and what not.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ninjaturtle posted:

e: Better yet is there an entire thread dedicated to RPGMaker? If not I would be willing to start one up explaining the basics of the program and compiling a list of everyone's favorites. These games are a godsend to fans of SNES and even PlayStation era JRPG's.

You know, ever since it was proposed years ago, I've always hoped that someone would make an LP thread where they play the worst RPGMaker games in existence.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

You know, ever since it was proposed years ago, I've always hoped that someone would make an LP thread where they play the worst RPGMaker games in existence.

That wouldn't be hard to do, just run through MR BIG T's catalog.

EDIT: And the pseudo-legendary DONALD gently caress RPG

ninjaturtle
May 21, 2004

Best Posting '09

a medical mystery posted:

That wouldn't be hard to do, just run through MR BIG T's catalog.

EDIT: And the pseudo-legendary DONALD gently caress RPG

I can't find a copy of Donald gently caress anywhere

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I've only played a bit of the SW:TOR beta but I think anyone looking for the next KOTOR or a straight up Star Wars themed MMO are going to be disappointed, because the actual game is somewhere in the middle.

If you just want another KOTOR like me, reinstall KOTOR II and grab the TSL Restored Content Mod, because that's about as good as it's going to get.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

What's my best bet these days for a grid-based first person dungeon crawler? I don't think I can hold out until Legend of Grimrock comes out next year. :ohdear:

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

iastudent posted:

What's my best bet these days for a grid-based first person dungeon crawler? I don't think I can hold out until Legend of Grimrock comes out next year. :ohdear:

Not grid-based, but I really enjoyed The Dark Spire for the DS. It's also easy enough to find new despite being an Atlus release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

The Etrian Odyssey games (also DS) are loads and loads better than Dark Spire, and also basically exactly what you're looking for. If you haven't played them yet, you're doing yourself a disservice. The third and most recent game is the best so far.