Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

ephex posted:

Also clean out yer boots after the match, because you don't want a trillion annoying blue pebbles in your bag or apartement later on.

Clean them out all you want, you are still going to have approximately several thousand in your house after a couple of games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I finally got sick of our team having a terrible generic FC (captain's name) name, so now we are the mighty Tottenham Hotspurts. Also played a full game last week with no knee brace on, for the first time since my reconstruction 10 months ago. Pulled up really well, it's feeling pretty strong. However, my other, supposedly good knee, now feels like the kneecap has much more movement in it. Is this bad? Its been feeling a bit sore for about a month now, but I only just noticed that it has more movement in it.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
IANAD, but I'd say if there's no pain then it's probably fine. Some people just have more movement in their patella.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Alctel posted:

Clean them out all you want, you are still going to have approximately several thousand in your house after a couple of games

This is why I leave mine in a box in the trunk of my car. No pellets in the house if the shoes never enter the house.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
I've been back playing for maybe 3-4 months after a series of injuries (knee ligaments, hamstring problems, IT band problems) that kept me out for about a year, and it was feeling pretty awesome. Well, it kept me out but it's not like I didn't get to play at all during that year, it as basically recover then get a new injury. So a little over a month ago I pulled my hamstring and was like "ah, well a strain; will sit out a few weeks, do light work, rehab it, avoid further injuries." Found myself able to play again, was playing surprisingly well when I landed wrong and hyper extended my knee.

:negative: It's happening again, isn't it?

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

grvm posted:

Found myself able to play again, was playing surprisingly well when I landed wrong and hyper extended my knee.

:negative: It's happening again, isn't it?

That sucks. How old are you? I'd play daily if I thought my body could handle it... A lot of folks say that when you hit your 30s, your body simply stops growing and healing as fast. I can definitely say I found this to be completely true, no matter what kind of shape you're in. Used to think it was a matter of building up to a high level of activity, but even simple strains and joint pains take way longer to heal than they used to.

I learned the hard way a couple years ago after I got hit with a multitude of injuries, one after the other in a six month period... still had the "I'm invincible and can do whatever I want, whenever I want, every day" mindset. 6 months of rehabilitation later, I learned to spend some time off when something started aching, before it got worse.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
I'm 23, and I generally don't rush back into playing. This last year was hardly my first brush with injury, so I've learned it doesn't help to speed up the recovery process, as it were. I'd ventrue to say I've lost atleast 2 of the past 5 years to various injuries-most of them unrelated. To not go into great depth, I'll just list that both hamstings, ankles, and knees have previous injuries. My left quadricep, ligaments and tendons in my left foot, and (the only non-sports injury) a bad break of my right foot (car accident, like 6 years ago before these problems really set off) should round out the list.

btw, it's not like i'm just a weekend warrior who spends all week eating cheetos before playing-I train with weights, run, and bike to keep my physical condition (when I'm able to, because as you might imagine some of these injuries interfere with that).

Basically what I'm saying is I feel like Robben or Pato, if they were bad at football.

derin
Apr 19, 2003
Turkish Superstar
If you have some money and live in a civilized area you might want to see an active release technique practitioner, someone certified in functional movement screening, or rolfer, or find a good strength and conditioning coach. And start doing mobility exercises every day. Check out Steve Maxwell's dvds.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

derin posted:

If you have some money and live in a civilized area you might want to see an active release technique practitioner, someone certified in functional movement screening, or rolfer, or find a good strength and conditioning coach. And start doing mobility exercises every day. Check out Steve Maxwell's dvds.

Hey, thank you for this. I've never heard of art or fms, I'm gonna check to see if there is anyone around here for this, thanks again. I'll try anything to keep me on the pitch and this all seems solid stuff.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

gently caress I slept for 13 hours straight and almost missed the game today. I had no time for breakfast and at the end of the first half I started to feel a little lightheaded. Grabbed a Mars bar during half time and was good to go.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I'm looking at maybe getting a pair of Umbro Speciali R's, but I'm a bit confused about how soccer.com is advertising them as Umbro Speciali R Pro HG - Pearlized White/Black/Vivid Blue Firm Ground Soccer Shoes. The studs look like they're FG so I should be OK, right?

Also I was originally going to get the Gemoetra's posted on the last page but then I read a bit about studs vs. blades and felt like it's probably not worth it, how big a difference in traction is there between the two?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

pik_d posted:

I'm looking at maybe getting a pair of Umbro Speciali R's, but I'm a bit confused about how soccer.com is advertising them as Umbro Speciali R Pro HG - Pearlized White/Black/Vivid Blue Firm Ground Soccer Shoes. The studs look like they're FG so I should be OK, right?

Also I was originally going to get the Gemoetra's posted on the last page but then I read a bit about studs vs. blades and felt like it's probably not worth it, how big a difference in traction is there between the two?

Studs provide FAR more traction than blades do.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

If it's not muddy, you don't need studs and you'll probably damage your feet/knees/ankles. If it is muddy, you're screwed if you're wearing blades.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Scikar posted:

If it's not muddy, you don't need studs and you'll probably damage your feet/knees/ankles. If it is muddy, you're screwed if you're wearing blades.

Huh? I wouldn't imagine playing without studs. I definitely wont go with blades though.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I mean full size SG studs, rubber FG studs obviously are fine on firm/hard ground but there is such a thing as too much grip. If you have full studs and the ground is too hard you can damage the soles of your feet, and if it's only a bit damp you can end up getting your feet stuck and twisting your knee.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
Does anyone know if you have to wear shinpads in Powerleague league games? I haven't played in a league game for a while and can't remember

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Always Wear Shinpads you tit

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Alctel posted:

This. There's always some shite who turns up only to make terrible tackles or kick people around.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Alctel posted:

You're discouraged from slide tackling on astroturf, less need for shinpads. I never usually wear them but do you HAVE to wear them for league games?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Hallowed Turban posted:

You're discouraged from slide tackling on astroturf, less need for shinpads. I never usually wear them but do you HAVE to wear them for league games?

Being booted in the loving shins hurts and can be dangerous, slide tackle or not.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

OK, I get that I am taking a humongous risk not wearing shin pads but my question remains, do I need to wear them for league games?

Actually, nevermind, Ill just google it.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

Hallowed Turban posted:

OK, I get that I am taking a humongous risk not wearing shin pads but my question remains, do I need to wear them for league games?

Actually, nevermind, Ill just google it.

I never heard of an actual league that didn't require them, rec or otherwise. I only don't wear them for indoor, and very low competition pickup games. Still get bruises and cuts though.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I don't understand why you would not wear shin pads? I wear them for my friendly kick about because accidents happen sometimes

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

angry armadillo posted:

I don't understand why you would not wear shin pads? I wear them for my friendly kick about because accidents happen sometimes

I just stopped wearing them one day and felt a lot freer without them, I don't wear proper football socks now neither

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Hallowed Turban posted:

I just stopped wearing them one day and felt a lot freer without them, I don't wear proper football socks now neither

The very last game I played in last week, I got an almighty kick to the shin that actually cracked the plastic a tiny bit, without shinpads that would have been a fractured bone at the very least

slow hands
Feb 5, 2005
we slow hands
Maybe I'm coming into this a little late, but I really reccomend getting artificial turf boots if you're going to play on fake turf. I used to play with cleats on that stuff, and I found my studs would get stuck sometimes. I actually really hosed up my ankle last fall when I got tackled with my studs stuck in the ground, and it's taken forever to heal properly. I feel a lot more comfortable with my fake turf boots now.

Also in agreement with always wearing shin pads. The ones I have now are covered in knicks and scratches from assholes who think our little seven a side league is the Champions league.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

slow hands posted:

Maybe I'm coming into this a little late, but I really reccomend getting artificial turf boots if you're going to play on fake turf. I used to play with cleats on that stuff, and I found my studs would get stuck sometimes. I actually really hosed up my ankle last fall when I got tackled with my studs stuck in the ground, and it's taken forever to heal properly. I feel a lot more comfortable with my fake turf boots now.

Also in agreement with always wearing shin pads. The ones I have now are covered in knicks and scratches from assholes who think our little seven a side league is the Champions league.

What do turf boots look like? All this fg hg etc is making everything complicated. Different companies seem to have different and overlappinh labels to make it extra confusing

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

nervana posted:

What do turf boots look like? All this fg hg etc is making everything complicated. Different companies seem to have different and overlappinh labels to make it extra confusing

TF usually means a lot of small nubs, those are for old style turf, kinda like carpet looking poo poo or any worn out non grass field. You can use them for grass too if the ground is really dry and hard. Some people even use them for indoor on court surfaces. Example

AG is for more modern artificial turf fields... they're more similar to Firm Ground, but the studs or blades are made of rubber instead of hard plastic. Example

I don't think many companies market their products specifically under 'Hard Ground'. Generally anything that isn't too hard on your legs could qualify. Ie, any TF or AG, and maybe a few FG as well.

That's my understanding of them anyway... I only own FG and indoor shoes.

slow hands
Feb 5, 2005
we slow hands

nervana posted:

This is what I mean. The guy before me did a good job laying out the differences. I find the little nubs give me enough to grip without over doing it.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

mixitwithblop posted:

Can't find the futsal sized nets in the USA... but Amazon.co.uk will ship a pair for $240 usd total. Not too shabby. They're the cheapest fifa futsal sized light weight portable nets I've been able to find so far.

I got bored one summer and made some FIFA reg. Futsal nets out of PVC pipe and netting. Think I spent $30, with most of that money going towards the net (Forced to get a full sized net and trim it down). I sketched mine out, but there's probably a guide to building better goals on one of those DIY sites if you want a step-by-step.

Frankly, all the cheaper goals out there for Futsal are glorified camping tents with nets. But I'll admit it was like a full weekend I devoted to building mine. I definitely didn't value my time back then as much as I do now.

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

You call yourself a knight; what is that?

Alctel posted:

The very last game I played in last week, I got an almighty kick to the shin that actually cracked the plastic a tiny bit, without shinpads that would have been a fractured bone at the very least

I didn't wear mine playing in my friendly league this year because I haven't played in a while and just didn't think to get a pair. Then I accidentally ended up sliding into someone (I'm a keeper) feet first and realizing I REALLY wouldn't have wanted to be the guy on the other end of that. He wasn't hurt, but he probably could've been considering that I was basically making a desperation tackle with whatever part of my body I could bring to bear. So I went out and bought a pair like a week ago.

Rankine Over Gash
Feb 18, 2010

We had our meetings in a room with a bar and Brian Clough said to me "Millsy, get the beers in and get yourself a Guinness". I told him I didn't drink. He said "Get yourself a fucking Guinness" so I did. I drank it, pulled a face and then he named me in the team. I never said no again.
poo poo the bed. First five a side game in years for me tonight and couldn't find my shinnies last night. Going straight from work so I can't even go into town to buy some. I'm going to get kicked to death in my Crouch legs.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
http://www.just-keepers.com/476711464.html

oh my god, I want these(just in different colors)

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Played 6 a side today at lunch... scored a goal from my own half :D I've never done that before.

In fairness it's not a competitive game as it's we play for half an hour in our lunch hour... Infact despite my earlier comments, it's such a soft game no one wears shinnies

Rankine Over Gash
Feb 18, 2010

We had our meetings in a room with a bar and Brian Clough said to me "Millsy, get the beers in and get yourself a Guinness". I told him I didn't drink. He said "Get yourself a fucking Guinness" so I did. I drank it, pulled a face and then he named me in the team. I never said no again.
Forgot to update - I had a great time at five a side. Absolutely shattered but really enjoyed it and bagged a goal as our team won. The game was an hour long and swapped keepers every goal, worked when you needed a rest.

One problem though, towards the end of the game I was getting horrible cramp in both my calves. I know I should warm up better but good god, how do I stifle the cramp actually IN game?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I've always played since I was little as goalie, and broke (yet more) fingers with one game to go this year so got shunted into leftwing/striker for the final game. Got two goals, one from the spot in the last minute (with a retake for encroachment making up for the fact that I missed it first time :D) in a 2-1 victory. Greatest feeling of my life, I'm understanding now why players always react with such spastic celebrations after scoring :) (I may have run all the way back to halfway pretending to be a plane).

I'm curious to ask if there's any advice for what would be useful to know in this new position; I've played since I was tiny as a goalie so after ~20 years playing one position I have no clue what I'm doing out on the field. I've gained a lot of pace in the last year long-distance running and found myself making long runs up the middle/sideline chasing down long balls and annoying defenders; the first goal I got was from harassing the goalie on a ball he came out to. I just feel like I have no clue of where I am supposed to be in general situations. Any clues or resources to check out?

e: also Nike T90 FTW if you can find them cheap; found them in a midyear clearance sale for $49 :) Most comfortable boots I've ever had. http://www.soccerpro.com/Nike-Total90-Laser-III-FG-Electric-Green-with-Black-and-Red-p10031/

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

iajanus posted:

I've always played since I was little as goalie, and broke (yet more) fingers with one game to go this year so got shunted into leftwing/striker for the final game. Got two goals, one from the spot in the last minute (with a retake for encroachment making up for the fact that I missed it first time :D) in a 2-1 victory. Greatest feeling of my life, I'm understanding now why players always react with such spastic celebrations after scoring :) (I may have run all the way back to halfway pretending to be a plane).

I'm curious to ask if there's any advice for what would be useful to know in this new position; I've played since I was tiny as a goalie so after ~20 years playing one position I have no clue what I'm doing out on the field. I've gained a lot of pace in the last year long-distance running and found myself making long runs up the middle/sideline chasing down long balls and annoying defenders; the first goal I got was from harassing the goalie on a ball he came out to. I just feel like I have no clue of where I am supposed to be in general situations. Any clues or resources to check out?

e: also Nike T90 FTW if you can find them cheap; found them in a midyear clearance sale for $49 :) Most comfortable boots I've ever had. http://www.soccerpro.com/Nike-Total90-Laser-III-FG-Electric-Green-with-Black-and-Red-p10031/

My basic advice would be to keep mobile. You don't necessarily have to run about madly after the ball, but what you do want to do when your side is in possession is always make yourself available for a pass from your midfielders. It sounds pretty basic, but being static as an attacker means that you become predictable, and you always want the defender guessing where you're going to turn up. Also, don't be afraid to tell your teammates to play the ball to you if you're making a run.

If you're not playing full teams (ie 7-a-side or fewer), you'll obviously have to change your game a bit because you'll have to do more defensive work, particularly pressuring opposition defenders/the keeper with the ball, but you also want to keep in mind that if you get the ball with your back to goal and play it to a midfielder who's making a forward run, you need to stay back to cover their run. This isn't as important in 11-a-side as there'll be more players to plug the gap, so you can go forward yourself after you play the ball.

More generally, if you're good at dribbling and going past players it opens up the option to drop into midfield to receive the ball and then take it forward; if you're quick you'll look to make runs off the shoulder of the defender; if you're big but not necessarily that fast, you want to hold up the ball to allow the midfielders forward, while in the box you'd be looking to make enough space to get a shot off rather than going past defenders. You get the idea.

edit: Funnily enough, in the 7-a-side league I'm playing in this winter, I'm playing in goal full-time for the first time (previously have only been backup), and any tips you could give would be appreciated. I just got my first clean sheet last Sunday and I've been working on my positioning, but I've found it tough going to ground quickly enough to stop low shots to the left and right, so any suggestions would be most welcome.

vvv simultaneous reply!

generally I prefer fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 1, 2011

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Well, the most important thing is fulfilling what's expected of you in your position. Are you expected to distribute the ball (Therefore sticking closer to the sidelines, doing overlaps, getting to the byline, crossing, getting back and defending) or are you expected to get goals (Stay forward, cut in, find gaps in the defense to make runs)?

You can do both, but you're doing the work of multiple players at that point.

Other than that, it's all about looking at what you're up against. The usual stuff like finding the space between their midfield/defense/goal, then exploiting it. Examples:

-If they play a high line and you know you're faster than they are, stay on their shoulder and just be ready for long balls. With so much space between their defense and goal, you're going to be going one-on-one with the keeper all day long.
-If they player a deeper line, that's more space that their midfield has to cover (Assuming their team isn't playing like Greece circa 2004), so there's more likely going to be holes between defense and midfield. Especially on the wings or at the top of the box, great places to draw defenders out and give people avenues to run through.
-If their fullbacks think they're Dani Alves, that means you're either going to be forced to defend more or you'll be able to exploit the fact that they only have 3 defenders back covering. It's usually better to exploit that trick later in the game, since their fullbacks will more than likely be too tired from the marathon they just got done running.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Guitar_Hero posted:

My basic advice would be to keep mobile. You don't necessarily have to run about madly after the ball, but what you do want to do when your side is in possession is always make yourself available for a pass from your midfielders. It sounds pretty basic, but being static as an attacker means that you become predictable, and you always want the defender guessing where you're going to turn up. Also, don't be afraid to tell your teammates to play the ball to you if you're making a run.

If you're not playing full teams (ie 7-a-side or fewer), you'll obviously have to change your game a bit because you'll have to do more defensive work, particularly pressuring opposition defenders/the keeper with the ball, but you also want to keep in mind that if you get the ball with your back to goal and play it to a midfielder who's making a forward run, you need to stay back to cover their run. This isn't as important in 11-a-side as there'll be more players to plug the gap, so you can go forward yourself after you play the ball.

More generally, if you're good at dribbling and going past players it opens up the option to drop into midfield to receive the ball and then take it forward; if you're quick you'll look to make runs off the shoulder of the defender; if you're big but not necessarily that fast, you want to hold up the ball to allow the midfielders forward, while in the box you'd be looking to make enough space to get a shot off rather than going past defenders. You get the idea.

edit: Funnily enough, in the 7-a-side league I'm playing in this winter, I'm playing in goal full-time for the first time (previously have only been backup), and any tips you could give would be appreciated. I just got my first clean sheet last Sunday and I've been working on my positioning, but I've found it tough going to ground quickly enough to stop low shots to the left and right, so any suggestions would be most welcome.

vvv simultaneous reply!

Cheers for the advice, I should have mentioned it was 11-a-side. I seem to be falling nicely into a role of making runs and getting into a position to get passes/crosses. I got told a few times not to drop so much when the other team had the ball, although when we were trying to desperately hold on to the lead I was coming all the way back and then sprinting all the way back up. When I moved out to the wing I had a lot of success playing one-twos with the center mid and left back and then going for a sprint up the touchline and putting in crosses. It's a learning experience :)

As for goalie advice, the most important thing is to be definite. If you're coming out, come out. If not, don't come out a little, you're just setting yourself up for a chip or to be sidestepped. Most players don't like being pressured, so if you can quickly get up in their face you can normally hurry them into a rash shot or mistake. You can't be afraid of getting kicked, there will definitely be situations where you're sliding in at people's feet to snatch the ball. Just make sure to curl up in a ball as you're grabbing it and there's not much damage they can do to you (plus it's satisfying to take them out if they've been hitting you in corner situations). Be brave, it's the difference between good keepers and poo poo ones.

I'm not sure the field dimensions in 7-a-side, but from a full field perspective you want to generally be standing about half-way from the 6 yard box to the edge of the area - it should make it very easy to come out and dispatch (or pick up) long through balls whilst being fairly easy to get back to your line. As for getting down to low shots, are you diving or using your feet? If the ball isn't too far away from you it may be much faster to put out a foot quickly rather than try to get body or hands down and behind the ball.

e: basically, use gravity to help. Slam a leg (and as much body as possible) out one way and drop in that direction and you'll be much faster. If you're coming out towards them all the better, it'll be much more effective than trying to get a hand or arm down that far that quickly. Always use your whole body as a weapon :) When doing so you also free up the rest of your body to react to any rebounds or tricks, and to push yourself back to standing after the save in case of another attempt.

You'll probably find it far more natural to dive one way than the other, so if it's coming to the other side you may find it easy to (almost) slide tackle in that direction keeping your legs out and arms and torso up (or at least aware in case of a shot across your body). As always, making yourself as big as possible always helps. There's a good exercise we use at practice that helps in speed and reaction work: start by lying down at one goalpost with someone on the edge of the box with the ball on one side and someone near the spot. As the person on the edge of the box passes it to the one on the spot, jump up and sprint towards them. They then shoot, picking any direction; you try to save it. It really helps you get used to having to gauge the distances to come out and when to stay back, as well as practising reactions saves. As always, saving low is a matter of practice, so just keep at it and you'll find it gets easier.

And well done on the clean sheet! They're not easy to get (especially when your team gives away penalties in nearly every game :argh:) so bask in the success :D

Vinestalk posted:

-If they play a high line and you know you're faster than they are, stay on their shoulder and just be ready for long balls. With so much space between their defense and goal, you're going to be going one-on-one with the keeper all day long.

My strategy :)

iajanus fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
if you are in 7 a side as a keeper check if you are allowed out of the area or not.

if you are not it completley changes how you rush out because if you go to early and you can't come out the box, the striker has all the time in the world to mess you about if you are in no mans land on the edge of the area. (especially if your defence is lazy and thinks 'oh no 1 on 1 I'm not chasing that')

you kind of have to time you runs to meet him on the edge of the area and then slide up to the line.