Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

Are the songs on Bryan and Vinny supposed to be legitimately funny or are they fast-forward material for anyone else other than me? I have not heard a single one that could even be described as humorous.
I'm not a subscriber, but I think most of the songs are based on inside jokes and references that are hard to get if you don't know the context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

savinhill posted:

I'm not a subscriber, but I think most of the songs are based on inside jokes and references that are hard to get if you don't know the context.

All of the Khali songs are awesome and can be loved by anyone. Any drop that's under 30 seconds with one punchline are the best. The recent one of Da Crusher singing Roll Out The Barrel had me laughing for several minutes.

I also love Vinny more than either Bryan or Dave. His over-enthusiasm when he likes something is great like how he declared Archibald Peck to be the greatest wrestler ever a week or so ago after the Chikara PPV.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

flashy_mcflash posted:

From the sounds of it, I just need to hear Dave's podcasts and ignore Bryan and Vinny then. Thanks guys!

I love B&V. At least give them a shot if you've never heard them before.

Really it all depends on how much time you have to waste on podcasts, I commute a lot so I listen to podcasts constantly. When you subscribe there are a ton of shows that have nothing to do with Dave, Bryan or Vinnie too.

I don't mean to be a shill for WO, I just really do enjoy their product.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

If anyone's looking for good older episodes, I've been listening their old reviews of Hogan Knows Best from like 2006 and they're pretty great. I love that they call Linda one of the greatest heels of all time.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Really it all depends on how much time you have to waste on podcasts, I commute a lot so I listen to podcasts constantly. When you subscribe there are a ton of shows that have nothing to do with Dave, Bryan or Vinnie too.

I've heard the free B&V podcasts and am just not a fan. Bryan is just way too shrill and over-critical and Vinny is almost as bad but appears moderate next to Bryan's histrionics. I just cannot listen to that first thing in the morning or when I'm trying to de-stress from work. By comparison, Review A Wai is just the ticket for me because those guys are doing these shows in the middle of the night and are as subdued and dozy as I am.

The other shows outside of B&V and Dave, are they wrestling related as well or is it other sports too? I don't really follow anything else other than MMA.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

flashy_mcflash posted:

The other shows outside of B&V and Dave, are they wrestling related as well or is it other sports too? I don't really follow anything else other than MMA.

They're all wrestling & MMA related. I enjoy Dr Keith Presents, it's mainly indie oriented with a splash of wrestling from the 90s & 2000s. It's basically dudes just like us doing a podcast, and they cover the indie wrestling scene nicely since Dave & Bryan largely don't have time for it.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

flashy_mcflash posted:

For a very brief time, the Adam and Mike Big Audio Nightmare (which covers mostly Japanese wrestling and is an incredibly laid back show) did special hockey episodes, but that's by the wayside for now. Mike (Sempervive) also does Wrestling Observer Live with Bryan. The last WOL was a look back at this past year in wrestling and MMA, and is really good. http://www.f4wonline.com/component/...nd-so-much-more

Everything on the website is wrestling or MMA. Karl Stern talks classic wrestling. Five Star Radio is the acerbic Mike Coughlin mostly ranting about MMA. Dr. Keith Presents is mostly indy wrestling in an uber-positive style. Wrestling Weekly is a show I find unlistenable due to Les Thatcher being an angry old man, but people have said it has been pretty good of late so I dunno! I don't remember if Tough Talk is still on the website, but that's another MMA show that sometimes interviews fighters.

Figure Four Daily is Bryan's interview show, where he talks to all sorts of wrestlers and personalities. Lance Storm is on every other week, for example. In the past he's interviewed Konnan (one of the best interviewees, in my opinion - he's done several shows), indy wrestlers like Mike Quackenbush, Ultramantis Black, Sara Del Rey, Roderick Strong, and so on, former WWE writers - all sorts of people. He also talks to Todd Martin every week (or is it every other week?), but we don't really talk about it. Most people here hate Todd Martin. gently caress you, Todd Martin.

There's a poo poo ton of stuff, to be sure. Multiple podcasts and the best newsletter around - just try to avoid The Board.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

triplexpac posted:

Yeah, I feel the same. I can see how some people will not be high on it, and I sure as hell don't listen for the expert wrestling analysis (though Vinny can be more insightful than people give him credit for), but I love me some B&V, even when they're at their worst. I find them funny for some reason, and it was actually one of their disastrous Christmas shows a few years ago that sold me on a subscription to the site. Plus, these are podcasts, something I listen to while commuting or doing chores around the house. It's not like I'm giving hours of my full, undivided, attention that I should be using elsewhere to listening to Bryan, his wife, and Vinny answering trivia questions about Bryan's 82-year-old grandmother. I'm just having a few chuckles while I do the laundry, or something.

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

There's a poo poo ton of stuff, to be sure. Multiple podcasts and the best newsletter around - just try to avoid The Board.

Wise words to live by.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Again, I'm going by B&V but they reference The Board a *lot*. Is that par for the course?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

flashy_mcflash posted:

Again, I'm going by B&V but they reference The Board a *lot*. Is that par for the course?

B&V is the only place you'll hear the board mentioned regularly. It's not like Dave goes off on rants about the board or anything, although I would love to hear that just once.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

triplexpac posted:

B&V is the only place you'll hear the board mentioned regularly. It's not like Dave goes off on rants about the board or anything, although I would love to hear that just once.

He'll do it in passing. He mentioned the whole furore about him talking about the Rock's physique when it came up in the post-SS show.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

They're both crucial to why I subscribe. I prefer Dave's newsletter but I absolutely love the Bryan and Vinny podcasts.

The thing with Bryan and Vinnie is you can't take it like a serious show. I mean, the 30 minute segment every Friday with Bryan's grandmother should be a giveaway right there. You tune into the show to hear them review UWF HOOD JUSTICE, or the stuff of WWE On Demand or other various terrible wrestling shows that they watch.

I personally have no problem with Bryan. He does have that Michael Coleism where he'll just start shouting at Vinnie

As for the sub as a whole, Dave's write up on Vale Tudo before the first UFC in Rio show was worth it alone.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

The three Urban Wrestling Federation reviews are worth the $11 even if you just subscribe for a single month.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

Fish Of Doom posted:

The three Urban Wrestling Federation reviews are worth the $11 even if you just subscribe for a single month.

They had me at UNCLE MURDER!

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Borh posted:

They had me at UNCLE MURDER!

I do hope they cover the fallout of Rasche Brown leaving the UWF over not being allowed to wear traditional wrestling gear.

The Urban Wrestling Federation is the best promotion in ages, both in kayfabe and reality.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Observer aside, I signed up for SWF Extra since I've been listening to it every week for a while now. I don't have a massive commute but plenty of time at my desk and the 4-5 hour shows will last me that time, usually.

But dshban, where's the Booker T song? I need that on Extra since it gets stuck in my head every week :argh:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I am really sad that Michael Coughlin has been slacking on Five Star Radio lately. I always looked forward to that more than any other show on the site. Observer Radio/Observer Newsletter/B&V show is well worth the money, but Five Star Radio made it an absurd value. Oh well, there's still the Karl Stern history of wrestling series!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Subscribing to the Observer is awesome and I recommend it to anyone.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

Semiru posted:

Observer aside, I signed up for SWF Extra since I've been listening to it every week for a while now. I don't have a massive commute but plenty of time at my desk and the 4-5 hour shows will last me that time, usually.

But dshban, where's the Booker T song? I need that on Extra since it gets stuck in my head every week :argh:

It's not up there? Huh. I just checked, you're right. I'll ask Joe.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Thanks man!

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

Semiru posted:

Thanks man!

Apparently apl.de.ap will sue us personally if we put it up :(

Although I can give you this entirely unrelated link, with bonus "this is actually how Larry spelled the file" fun: http://www.mediafire.com/?2aiu1e36c0wir6c

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Thanks!

But who/what the hell is apl.de.ap?

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

Semiru posted:

Thanks!

But who/what the hell is apl.de.ap?

Only the best part of the Black Eyed Peas.

It's an I'mma Be parody

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

LordPants posted:

Subscribing to the Observer is awesome and I recommend it to anyone.

I was on the fence about it for a long time, thinking "pfft, why would I pay $10 a month just to hear people talk about wrestling" but you guys convinced me to do it and it's totally worth it. I find myself periodically looking every day for something new to listen to.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

New B&V is up where they discuss last week's Smackdown, Raw, and this week's live Smackdown.

Bryan Alvarez has never seen The Year Without a Santa Claus. :stare:

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Nov 30, 2011

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Christ, this episode was a greatest hits of terrible Bryan Alvarez arguments.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
How can someone not like the B&V show when there is a song of Bryan saying Tutti Frutti over and over again.

I work under the assumption that these songs are either genuinely great, or in this case, so bad they're awesome. Either way, I enjoy them.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

LordPants posted:

How can someone not like the B&V show when there is a song of Bryan saying Tutti Frutti over and over again.

I work under the assumption that these songs are either genuinely great, or in this case, so bad they're awesome. Either way, I enjoy them.

Still not quite as good as the songs revolving around Bryan talking about cocks, such as the recent "Cock Of The Bay" and the other one that was just this rant about the time Bryan went to the doctor and the doctor really, really wanted to give him a cock in the rear end.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

LordPants posted:

And A POSSUM STORY!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can somebody with a WO subscription kindly answer a question for me?

To give me an idea of what B&V is like (and to cheer me up when I was having a rough day), a buddy of mine sent me a few "Adrenaline Flush" TNA review compilations a while back. Is the guy that made those compilations still doing them? If so, what volume is he currently up to?

I ask because I loving love those, and if the guy is still doing them it might sway me to pony up for a subscription. Thanks. :)

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Can somebody with a WO subscription kindly answer a question for me?

To give me an idea of what B&V is like (and to cheer me up when I was having a rough day), a buddy of mine sent me a few "Adrenaline Flush" TNA review compilations a while back. Is the guy that made those compilations still doing them? If so, what volume is he currently up to?

I ask because I loving love those, and if the guy is still doing them it might sway me to pony up for a subscription. Thanks. :)

Those and the B&V rewinds (also worth listening to) go all the way through the end of 2010.

Hell, the compilation of bits from eYada era WOL is worth the subscription alone.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Those and the B&V rewinds (also worth listening to) go all the way through the end of 2010.

Hell, the compilation of bits from eYada era WOL is worth the subscription alone.

And like, are they posted on the board or do they have their own section of the site or how does it work?

Also thanks for the answer!

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

SamuraiFoochs posted:

And like, are they posted on the board or do they have their own section of the site or how does it work?

Also thanks for the answer!

They're on the board and are also the only things worthwhile on the board besides Dave's posts.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fauxhawk Express posted:

They're on the board and are also the only things worthwhile on the board besides Dave's posts.

Thanks for the info again man. :)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Colt's guest this week on Art of Wrestling is Mick Foley. This could be good.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Unfortunately Colt would probably be too classy to ask him "So... about Taker throwing you off the cage..."

It's like a running gag with Foley, and it'd be the first question out of my mouth.

Classic Dave

quote:

...but to borrow a cliche, that's using the success of selling apples to one audience to have anything to do with the success in selling hot dogs to a completely different audience.
:staredog:

I think I need to start a Pro Wrestling Media thread just to fill it up with tidbits like that...

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Dec 1, 2011

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
I'm gonna start using "apples to hotdogs" in everyday conversation.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Eh... **1/2 food analogy. The Norwegian food rant, though, that was 5 star classic.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
Apologies if anyone here hasn't been able to download this week's Smart Wrestling Fan, Podbean is the worst and has been down all day. Here's a link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Caught up with the last 2 Art of Wrestling episodes. Foley was kind of disappointing, though all his best stories have been told already.

It's hard to compete with Tommy Dreamer's grandfather running in and his aunt putting a hit on Bill Demott.

• Locked thread