Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Infinite Monkeys posted:

A friend of mine had Dark Souls and all I remember about it is him getting super pissed off because someone destroyed the save spot in the main hub, then never logged in again so he could never steal his fire back or something. This doesn't seem like a good mechanic but if there's a way around it or whatever I might get Dark Souls

Sounds like the Lautrec story event. You get the firekeeper's soul back invading him in Anor Londo. He might have not realized you can do it as many times as it takes to beat him, you just don't get the message you do the first time you can attempt it. Actual invaders can't interact with NPCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Infinite Monkeys posted:

A friend of mine had Dark Souls and all I remember about it is him getting super pissed off because someone destroyed the save spot in the main hub, then never logged in again so he could never steal his fire back or something. This doesn't seem like a good mechanic but if there's a way around it or whatever I might get Dark Souls
The guy who did it is an NPC and you get to gloriously murder the gently caress out of him after you progress though the story a little more (which ok might take you quite a lot of time since Sen's Fortress is full of gently caress-you falling deaths).

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!
I used to play Counter-Strike: Source casually, just playing on random public servers that would usually just run 1 map on repeat. There was one map that a ton of them ran called cs_office, where counter-terrorists were supposed to rescue hostages before a time limit ran out, but either team could win the round by killing the other team. I would usually play as a counter-terrorist, buy a sniper rifle that increased your movement speed, and sprint to this one window as soon as the round started. I knew right where to aim to get a headshot as people ran past a small opening, and it was about 5 seconds into the round. Unlike many newer FPS games, when you died in that one you would stay dead until the next round, usually 3 or 4 minutes, so dying 5 seconds in would make people really angry. The best was catching them the same way 2 or 3 rounds in a row.

It just so happened that one guy I killed twice in a row was one of the admins of this server. You could pay like $5 a month for admin abilities, but if you pushed them too far and banned for nothing you would usually be banned yourself. This guy decided to get revenge by limiting everyone, about 10 players per team, to knives only and giving himself an AK47. The map has a front yard area, a back yard area, and a garage that connects them. As soon as the round started I ran to the front yard and climbed up onto an awning that hardly anyone knew of, which overlooks the exit from the garage. Mr. AK, his knife-wielding meat shields, as well as my entire team went through the garage where he easily killed every single one of them. When you die, your camera view switches to the person who killed you by default, so he had my entire team watching from his point of view.

Having a knife equipped lets you move faster than someone with a gun, so his teammates came out of the garage before him. As soon as I saw him come out I dropped behind him and stabbed him in the back, which is a 1-hit kill. It also played a sound file for everyone on the server that said "Humiliation!", and switched the camera views of everyone he killed to my perspective. Then I picked his gun up and started unloading into his teammates. Even with 30 rounds it was hard to kill 10 players without having to reload since I wasn't actually that good at the game, and I managed to kill around 5 of them. While I'm reloading one caught up to me and stabbed me in the face, taking me to below half health, but I finished and shot him to death before he could get another stab in. Then I mopped up the last 4 or so players and won the round. As the next round started, I saw the screen fill with "LOL"'s and "ROFL"'s and made my graceful exit before he had any chance to retaliate, since I knew there was no way I could top that. I had a good laugh knowing he was probably pretty mad about getting humiliated on "his" server.

Ribbo
Jun 28, 2009

by T. Smith
But, like all good gaming stories Hoyt, you regret not getting it recorded via FRAPS. :)

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Or recording a demo which is easier to do.

I had bunch of wonderful clips of upsettin servers with the pump but alas my computer blue screened and only 5 clips made it to my external. :ohdear:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RabidWeasel posted:

The guy who did it is an NPC and you get to gloriously murder the gently caress out of him after you progress though the story a little more (which ok might take you quite a lot of time since Sen's Fortress is full of gently caress-you falling deaths).

You can also just kill him beforehand, he's not exactly subtle about what he's going to do.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

RBA Starblade posted:

You can also just kill him beforehand, he's not exactly subtle about what he's going to do.

Well yeah but it's a lot more fun doing it properly the first time round!

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

If you want to do griefing in Dark Souls, you can do it in a multitude of ways.

When you get right down to brass tacks about it, invading anyone of your own volition is making them stop what they're doing to deal with you, unless you're using a red sign soapstone or dragon eye to have people summon you for a duel. You can always pick up acid spray and hit your targets right where it hurts: their equipment, and by extension their soul count, or you can go about playing cat and mouse with them until they either get fed up or find you.

Or you can do what I do. Instead of invading people, go into the woods and let them come to you. Basically, there's a group in the game called the Forest Hunters that get a special ring that summons them to invade any trespassers into the forest. Killing a Forest Hunter invader gets you some souls. Now, there are some hunters that are good at pvp, but for the most part, they're generally pretty bad at it. So just revive, go into the woods, and proceed to use an entire faction of players for soul farming purposes until you either die of boredom or get killed because you overextended your resources.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There's always this classic.

This was a really good piece. I kinda hoped the kid would've started a ragefest when he got it.

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011

Shlapintogan posted:

If you want to do griefing in Dark Souls, you can do it in a multitude of ways.

When you get right down to brass tacks about it, invading anyone of your own volition is making them stop what they're doing to deal with you, unless you're using a red sign soapstone or dragon eye to have people summon you for a duel. You can always pick up acid spray and hit your targets right where it hurts: their equipment, and by extension their soul count, or you can go about playing cat and mouse with them until they either get fed up or find you.

Or you can do what I do. Instead of invading people, go into the woods and let them come to you. Basically, there's a group in the game called the Forest Hunters that get a special ring that summons them to invade any trespassers into the forest. Killing a Forest Hunter invader gets you some souls. Now, there are some hunters that are good at pvp, but for the most part, they're generally pretty bad at it. So just revive, go into the woods, and proceed to use an entire faction of players for soul farming purposes until you either die of boredom or get killed because you overextended your resources.
The best way to grief in Dark Souls is just to invade someone in Tomb of the Giants, and kick them off cliffs or lead them into holes, or invade in Sen's and cast Tranquil Walk of Peace when they are trying to do the final pendulum crossing.

For the uninitiated, Tomb of the Giants is an underground area filled with murderous giant skeletons and their dog-things (and also some piles of skeletons but nobody gives a poo poo about of them)full of enviromental hazards, and Sen's Fortress is a place full of enviromental hazards and snake-men. The last true hazard in Sen's is a narrow beam with a set of pendulums at the end that you have to run past. Tranquil Walk of Peace sets your movespeed to walk (unless you are completely naked or wearing very light armor, in which case you're probably going to eat poo poo in two seconds anyway, or you have very high endurance and some special items, which means you're not built for PvP), so they either have to die to the enviromental hazard, or not proceed. Factor in that you can throw fireballs at them that will cause a knockback if it hits, knocking them off the beam, or even shoot arrows at them, they can't afford to stand still and take the damage trying to kill you in a ranged battle. Should they manage to cross and you are a complete coward (arguably a good thing to be in Dark Souls) you can just run away into a zone where there is a giant chucking flaming boulders which don't damage you, in which case they can't stand around and fight you.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There's always this classic.

The "Bow friend of the family" guy in this story is absolutely what a lot of the "Hilarious Griefs" in this thread sound like. Don't be "Bow friend of the family" guy.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I've been doing some light TF2 griefing and upsetting servers a bit. Valve added the high-five taunt a few months ago - basically, you hold down the action button to "prep" a high five, holding your hand up for it, and a teammate can hit his action/taunt button to start the animation.

I've been walking into big fights, holding down the taunt button, and refusing to let go until someone high fives me back or I die. Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeSpmYeLTVQ

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...

Alikchi posted:

I've been walking into big fights, holding down the taunt button, and refusing to let go until someone high fives me back or I die. Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeSpmYeLTVQ

Ha, not bad. Keep collecting more video. I'd watch a longer compilation.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alikchi posted:

I've been doing some light TF2 griefing and upsetting servers a bit. Valve added the high-five taunt a few months ago - basically, you hold down the action button to "prep" a high five, holding your hand up for it, and a teammate can hit his action/taunt button to start the animation.

I died laughing when the medic ubercharged you.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I don't really want this thread to die, so I'll just post a reminder that there used to be a little virtual chat room called Virtual Laguna Beach that was free in about 2006. The setting was set up like a small town, but it was coded really badly and what passed for physics in it were super hosed up and lovely.

If you jumped while stepping up onto any kind of raised platform (like a sidewalk) you would rocket 40 feet in the air and land on rooftops. The cars all had a rocket boost that worked about how you would expect, except that if you mashed it instead of holding it you would go faster and faster, with no upper limit. Logging in would usually show you a handful of fourth graders performing suggestive emotes at each other around a campfire with about 50 goons in convertibles doing doughnuts around them at 400 mph.

There was some kind of personal shield you could turn on and off that was designed to prevent people from being able to physically bump you around or stop you from moving. You could convince people to turn it off by telling them that you could fight (or if you made a girl avatar, make out) and then hit them with a car at warp speed and punt them out into the middle of the ocean, forcing people to either warp to another server or walk back.

The whole thing ended up being really bizarre and surreal. The town was supposed to be the whole setting for the game, but if you'd drive out of the town there was an entire huge empty world in all directions. We found random snowfields, mountains, and a giant bottomless pit which we took turns punting each other across with pickup trucks.

The joke's probably on us for playing Virtual Laguna Beach, but at the time it was fun.

RichterIX fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 13, 2011

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

RichterIX posted:

The whole thing ended up being really bizarre and surreal. The town was supposed to be the whole setting for the game, but if you'd drive out of the town there was an entire huge empty world in all directions. We found random snowfields, mountains, and a giant bottomless pit which we took turns punting each other across with pickup trucks.

This isn't a grief, but it's cool nevertheless and your story reminded me of it.

In ArmA 1, at the edges of the bigass map, there continues to be a landscape. But the game doesn't place any trees/roads/buildings or anything, so it's just randomly generated, plain landscape. The further out you went, the crazier the land became, and the less physics worked.

People used to make "expeditions" as far as they could into this crazy terrain with humvees, on foot, or with helicopters, and take pictures/videos of the poo poo they encountered. At first the terrain was pretty normal, like everything within a kilometer of the real game map was just boring land. But then once they got farther out it started getting weird.

A lot of the time, the AI troops that people brought along would start freaking out or getting stuck in the ground, or sometimes they'd just stop moving/thinking (which was bad news if they were piloting anything). People found all sorts of weird patterns and shapes in the ground, like giant mountains, strange rolling hill, big craters/bowls, etc. Sometimes vehicles would randomly get bogged down or stop working, too. I never tried it but it looked loving crazy.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I don't own Forza 4, but I imagine there were a few angry pubbies here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2cZm9hhfus

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Never played the game, and this is an old video, but horse pvp griefing in Age of Conan never got old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-rl3RPC_Mw

Basically its just a dude blocking a pass on his horse. Anyone who tries to go around him gets kicked off.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Zasraik posted:

Never played the game, and this is an old video, but horse pvp griefing in Age of Conan never got old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-rl3RPC_Mw

Basically its just a dude blocking a pass on his horse. Anyone who tries to go around him gets kicked off.
No matter how many times this gets posted in this thread (and it's a lot) I have to watch it every time.

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

Never having played the game (I was considering it, but "luckily" wasn't up for making the hardware upgrade) I've always wondered if there was anything simple the people getting punted off the cliff could have done to avoid it. Beyond simply not running past, could they have gotten a mount of their own and counter-kicked the guy on the horse?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

The Strangest Finch posted:

Never having played the game (I was considering it, but "luckily" wasn't up for making the hardware upgrade) I've always wondered if there was anything simple the people getting punted off the cliff could have done to avoid it. Beyond simply not running past, could they have gotten a mount of their own and counter-kicked the guy on the horse?

I always wondered why they didnt run infront of him rather than neatly behind.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

LLCoolJD posted:

Man, I am dying laughing here. The lack of music and the SCREEEE of tires makes the idea of a dozen goons in makeshift buses bumping into the two unlucky pubbies on the map absolutely hilarious. Got anything more like this?

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pharnakes posted:

I always wondered why they didnt run infront of him rather than neatly behind.

Because he's blocking the path so that the only way through is past the horse butt of doom.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

LLCoolJD posted:

Oh god I'm laughing so hard

the best part is all the drivers are the Stig

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

LLCoolJD posted:

The one just sort of flopping around on its side at 0:39 really cracked me up.

There was that guy who started attack the guy on the horse in the AoC video, but I guess he decided that just wasn't worth it or something?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Slappy Moose posted:

This isn't a grief, but it's cool nevertheless and your story reminded me of it.

In ArmA 1, at the edges of the bigass map, there continues to be a landscape. But the game doesn't place any trees/roads/buildings or anything, so it's just randomly generated, plain landscape. The further out you went, the crazier the land became, and the less physics worked.

People used to make "expeditions" as far as they could into this crazy terrain with humvees, on foot, or with helicopters, and take pictures/videos of the poo poo they encountered. At first the terrain was pretty normal, like everything within a kilometer of the real game map was just boring land. But then once they got farther out it started getting weird.

A lot of the time, the AI troops that people brought along would start freaking out or getting stuck in the ground, or sometimes they'd just stop moving/thinking (which was bad news if they were piloting anything). People found all sorts of weird patterns and shapes in the ground, like giant mountains, strange rolling hill, big craters/bowls, etc. Sometimes vehicles would randomly get bogged down or stop working, too. I never tried it but it looked loving crazy.

Do you have any videos of this? I kinda want to see it, and I can't find anything on youtube.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Arcsech posted:

The one just sort of flopping around on its side at 0:39 really cracked me up.

There was that guy who started attack the guy on the horse in the AoC video, but I guess he decided that just wasn't worth it or something?

I was thinking maybe he'd try to get by while the horse was on cooldown from kicking the other guy, or something.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

Do you have any videos of this? I kinda want to see it, and I can't find anything on youtube.
Seconding this. If it's anything like the Far Lands in Minecraft, it's bound to be interesting.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

I always wondered: in that video with the horse, what's the cup that appears over the guy's head mean?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Achivement I expect.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

yaoi prophet posted:

I always wondered: in that video with the horse, what's the cup that appears over the guy's head mean?
Looks like a healing spell of some sort, since "+50" or something appears afterwards.

procitizen
May 9, 2010

HYUK HYUK HYUK

Slappy Moose posted:

I just spent like five minutes flying around off the map borders and there wasn't anything there except for the ocean. <:mad:>

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Dr. Stab posted:

Nope. I haven't played ArmA in years (I play ArmA 2 now and I don't know of anything similar in that one).

hirvox posted:

Seconding this. If it's anything like the Far Lands in Minecraft, it's bound to be interesting.
The terrain didn't get that crazy. It was just either really flat with occasionally strange textures, or it would start making weird patterns like rows and rows of perfectly semicircular hills or something.

procitizen posted:

I just spent like five minutes flying around off the map borders and there wasn't anything there except for the ocean. <:mad:>
:v: I think it's only one one of the maps, the one that's not an island but the tip of a peninsula (I think it's like Chernarus or something). Don't fly out to sea, go North or West (I think) on land.

This is all based of poo poo I remember from like 2 years ago, so it's possible I have some things incorrect. But I definitely remember forum threads called "Expeditions into the Unknown" or whatever the gently caress the crazy lands were called, and AI soldiers sinking into the ground as the player trekked onward past weirder and weirder landscapes. I think one guy even ran out of fuel and crashed into some weird pit or something.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The Strangest Finch posted:

From what I understand, mounts are a high level thing and he's in a low level zone. So the players can't kill him or get a mount of their own.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

procitizen posted:

Arma 1 is an island surounded by infinte sea. Arma 2 is what he's talking about, where 2 sides of the map have randomly generated land and the other two sea.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

Pharnakes posted:

Arma 1 is an island surounded by infinte sea. Arma 2 is what he's talking about, where 2 sides of the map have randomly generated land and the other two sea.

poo poo, am I? I'm sorry. I guess I'm getting the assheimers

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

In the new Mario Kart7 on the 3DS the online play has communities set up where you can race with custom rules, one such community is the banana only GP.
Unfortunately the game seems to have some anti-griefing check in place so you can't just take off in the wrong direction or even spend too long without moving forward on the track, so I've been purposely coming last so I get the most bananas and quickly setting up walls of bananas on crucial ramps and corners.

Mario Kart has always been about shenanigans anyways.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

yaoi prophet posted:

I remember reading a comment somewhere saying that it was a PvP level, but I've never played to confirm if that's A Thing. Speaking of which, isn't the game free-to-play now?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

(May have been posted before, but I don't recall seeing it)

Engineers in TF2 can trap teammates in a teleporter loop on any level with stairs.

Place the exit teleporter first towards the bottom of the stairs, then crouch and place the entrance as close to the exit as possible- preferably overlapping it. Upgrade it to level 3 to make your job easier, and you're all set.

Anyone who steps on the teleporter will be stuck and continuously teleport until they kill themselves or are killed by an enemy. My buddy and I were doing this last night and got 4 members of our team stuck in one. I bet some inventive and clever goons can trap a whole team or find another funny use for this trick.

Lots of WTFs and angry shouts from our team, even convinced them to boot another uninvolved engineer while they were witch hunting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Cervixalot posted:

Engineers in TF2 can trap teammates in a teleporter loop on any level with stairs.

There are also a few maps (I don't think any official ones any more) where it's possible to build a teleporter exit in a place that can't be escaped without suiciding.

• Locked thread