Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That part doesn't make sense. You sure you're looking at the charge for 28 days and not for 28 days + 1 month?

Don Lapre posted:

Post a picture/scan of the bill. Id almost guarantee its correct.

Yeah, so in the course of making up a bunch of screenshots to post here, I think I finally get it. Because it was a single-line account on the previous month's bill that was pre-paid, the difference in the single-line versus family-line plans that *wasn't* paid in the first month is being made up in this bill, plus *next* months.

God drat this poo poo is confusing.

Although there is one other thing I noticed that does seem out of place, which is the 10/month line access fees. I thought those only applied for additional lines beyond the first two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

vanilla slimfast posted:

Although there is one other thing I noticed that does seem out of place, which is the 10/month line access fees. I thought those only applied for additional lines beyond the first two?
It applies to the second line, and yeah it could be clearer.

As an example, take the base 700 minute family plan. It's advertised as $69.99 for the first two lines, but if you look at your bill (maybe not your current bill, with the plan change mess in it) the first line has a $60.00 charge and the second line has a $9.99 charge.

To further confuse you (or maybe not), that will be changing soon. That same example will be changed to a $50 account charge, a $9.99 access charge for the first line, and a $9.99 access charge for the second line. At least the insert in my last bill says that.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

To further confuse you (or maybe not), that will be changing soon. That same example will be changed to a $50 account charge, a $9.99 access charge for the first line, and a $9.99 access charge for the second line. At least the insert in my last bill says that.

That actually makes some sense. At least it will be consistent although it makes the plan seem a bit cheaper than it actually is

Despite this headache I've been generally happy with the service itself so far

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That's because the corporate discount doesn't apply to additional lines, or at least that's what my inner cynic tells me.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Mark Larson posted:

That's because the corporate discount doesn't apply to additional lines, or at least that's what my inner cynic tells me.
My first thought was also "well poo poo, that means they're only going to apply the discount to $50 instead of $60 (or be real dicks and only apply it to $9.99)". The insert actually says

quote:

If you currently receive a discount because of an affiliation with an employer, the discount amount will remain the same. How the discount is calculated will be included within the Account Charges and Credits section.
so I guess we'll see. They're also doing some odd stuff with how taxes are calculated.

If anyone's interested, http://www.verizonwireless.com/newbill

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Not only do they do that, but they also change how they allocate the tax calculations to each line too

Last month was the first new-style bill for me, and suddenly it looked like the dumbphone line I got my mother in law was costing me $5 a month more in taxes than it was before.

But that's because originally, the primary line was getting the largest tax allocated to it since it had the $60 line charge, and the other two lines were lower. Now they divide out the total taxes equally across all lines, so it looked like the other lines were attracting more taxes than before.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
OK, this android thing is pretty kick rear end

I got Google voice ready to go on text, but its being a bit of a bitch about VM. Not quite sure what is up

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does GV use your data plan, or does it intercept the calls, route them through google and then out to wherever you called?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Trip report on the Razr and a black hole signal area I frequent.

Holy poo poo what an improvement on the Bionic (which was an improvement over my OG Droid).

The bar is in a valley with walls made of what I can only assume is unobtanium. With my OG Droid, data was pretty much out of the question. Every once in awhile I would see 1x flicker into life only to die.

The Bionic was better. If I forced it into CDMA mode (turning off LTE) I could get 1x enough where I could occasionally pull down some data with occasional flickers of 3g. It would just take forever between the time of getting a signal and data actually working. If I left LTE on, it would sit like a dumb poo poo and only pick up on 1x every once and awhile only to drop it almost as soon as it picked it up (no doubt getting a slight whiff of LTE which caused it to drop the slower connection.)

With the Razr, I didn't see any miracles in the reception area. I still only had 1x really, though I did have a few seconds of 3g. The difference was the speed of which it went from no data in my pocket to actually acquiring a data lock and being usable. However, the biggest difference was, I left the LTE settings completely and 100% untouched. It degraded gracefully and didn't try to hang on to LTE to the exclusion of other signals. Yes, 1x is slow as poo poo, but it's still a trickle of data where before I would have none.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today

Cojawfee posted:

Does GV use your data plan, or does it intercept the calls, route them through google and then out to wherever you called?

It uses data to transfer your voicemails and texts.

It uses your minutes for active calls.

E: Really, the only downside is VZW to VZW texts and minutes aren't free if you are routing them through GV. Won't affect you on texts, but if someone is texting or calling you from a VZW phone, their outgoing text and minutes won't be free for them, so they'd use more of their texts & regular minutes.

ModestMuse fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Nov 29, 2011

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Would it be a pain in the rear end for my friends if I wanted to use my GV number for texts only, but I wanted to keep my normal cell phone number for calls?

I really want to drop the $10/mo text fee if I can get away with it. GV texts sounds great.

EDIT: Actually, how does text messaging on Google Voice work? Do I have to use a separate app for it, or could I still use the standard text messaging apps from android?

pezzie fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 29, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Like drat near everyone I want the Nexus, and I also want the double data deal. According to the store rep I talked to she has no info on the Nexus, and the double data deal ends tommorrow.

Unlike Costco, BJs just has a regular store with a 14 day return policy.

So is there any way to get the Nexus and the double data, or should I just get the Razr?

Also is it possible to get the iPhone through Amazon so I can get the Razr with that $0.01 deal?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

arisu posted:

Would it be a pain in the rear end for my friends if I wanted to use my GV number for texts only, but I wanted to keep my normal cell phone number for calls?

I really want to drop the $10/mo text fee if I can get away with it. GV texts sounds great.

EDIT: Actually, how does text messaging on Google Voice work? Do I have to use a separate app for it, or could I still use the standard text messaging apps from android?
You have to use the Google Voice app, as far as I could ever tell. Using other SMS apps sends from your carrier number.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Like drat near everyone I want the Nexus, and I also want the double data deal. According to the store rep I talked to she has no info on the Nexus, and the double data deal ends tommorrow.

Unlike Costco, BJs just has a regular store with a 14 day return policy.

So is there any way to get the Nexus and the double data, or should I just get the Razr?

Also is it possible to get the iPhone through Amazon so I can get the Razr with that $0.01 deal?

VZW corporate stores extended their holiday return/exchange policy date until January 15 2012 if you buy a device now. You pay $35 restocking fee though. So if you really want to pay $35 to rent a RAZR for a few weeks until the Nexus comes out, you can.

But you might want to call a corporate store and ask about the double data. Every other article talking about it says it will extend through the holidays, and we've still got 26 days till xmas.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

arisu posted:

I am attempting the same thing. Install GV app, and do the needful to set it up via the voice website. make sure you uncheck the 'send text to phone' option for your mobile number

I set GV to be the default app for text, and that is what i use all the time. I tried calling my GV number from home, and it rings 3-4 times before the phone rings, and then i only get 2 rings before i get VM. so, the forwarding could be a bit quicker i think. Otherwise its almost impossible to have people remember to text number x but call number y

edit: it might have been because it was still listed as ATT and not verizon in the settings. trying it again

edit2: no it did 5 rings and then rang once on the actual phone. and then hit VM :(

edit 3: Deleted phone, readded, re verified, and things are working as intended

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 29, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

kitten smoothie posted:

VZW corporate stores extended their holiday return/exchange policy date until January 15 2012 if you buy a device now. You pay $35 restocking fee though. So if you really want to pay $35 to rent a RAZR for a few weeks until the Nexus comes out, you can.

But you might want to call a corporate store and ask about the double data. Every other article talking about it says it will extend through the holidays, and we've still got 26 days till xmas.

Oh good. It seems like it would be idiotic for VZW to cancel their double data stuff before the holiday, so that fills me with optimism.

I really don't have to have the phone right now, I'm just getting tired of my G1 and I figured getting the Nexus would be a good present for me.

On the plus side my G1 appears to be practically indestructable. Sure the SD card doesn't work, I had to replace a battery when the old one doubled in size when the middle bulged out, and a strip of plastic around the bezel split off... but it works!

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I got scared when I saw that post saying that the double data deal expires tomorrow. My Razr isn't going to be delivered until next week. When I bought it, I selected a double-data plan, but how can I make sure that I do get the double data plan because AFAIK, the plan hasn't been activated yet?

If I don't get the double-data deal because Amazon didn't have the Razr in stock I'll be pissed. :mad:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mark Larson posted:

I got scared when I saw that post saying that the double data deal expires tomorrow. My Razr isn't going to be delivered until next week. When I bought it, I selected a double-data plan, but how can I make sure that I do get the double data plan because AFAIK, the plan hasn't been activated yet?

If I don't get the double-data deal because Amazon didn't have the Razr in stock I'll be pissed. :mad:

I wouldn't be worried. You already purchased the plan so it's not going to affect you.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
So much for preordering today.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm not sure what the obsession with preordering is. There hasn't been a Verizon phone since original Incredible that was in short supply and that was a legitimate production constraint.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Because people want/expect this to be an "iPhone killer" and want/expect the requisite lines that go with an iPhone launch, except that pretty much no one but techies are actually waiting for it since a new BEST EVER! Android phone is launched every other week. Hell, my one Android loving friend had literally never heard of this until I mentioned it to him and was looking at a RAZR.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

bull3964 posted:

I'm not sure what the obsession with preordering is. There hasn't been a Verizon phone since original Incredible that was in short supply and that was a legitimate production constraint.

I think in this case we're excited about the preorders going up because we'll have a fixed release date to look forward to. As of now it might come out 08 December, or it might come out in 2012, who knows? It'd be nice to have something concrete, and I think it's been worrisome that they haven't tied it down yet.

edit: vvvv at least it'd be something!

vote_no fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 30, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

vote_no posted:

I think in this case we're excited about the preorders going up because we'll have a fixed release date to look forward to.

Surely you jest. The preorder for the Razr went up and Verizon still wouldn't commit to a date.

Until Samsung actually gives them inventory, they can't give us a date. It would be far worse to say "Launching on Dec 8th!" and then have the 8th show up with nothing in the stores to sell.

Don't forget, Verizon wanted this phone out the door already.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
A friend of mine is having trouble with the headphone port on his Bionic. When he puts headphones in it'll sometimes crack/pop/hiss. However, it won't always crackle. Same thing with different headphones, and he's also taken a can of air to the port. If he calls VZW, I know he'll get a new phone, but when they get them back, do they test them that they're actually broken? He's afraid he'll get charged the full price of the phone because the issue might not happen again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Headphone jack noise is one of the things the upcoming Bonic update is supposed to fix. So, he may want to wait to see if it fixes it for him before he goes the warranty route.

Funny enough, the Rezound is also having headphone noise issues. So much for Beats audio.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Beats audio sounds like a joke. Saw a Rezound commercial, nothing about the HD screen or the quick LTE, nope, it was all Beats.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Codiusprime posted:

Beats audio sounds like a joke.

No pun intended I'm sure. But you're right, it is. It's just a software equalizer combined with prepackaged beats earbuds. There was no attempt to improve the actual hardware of the phone to allow for better sound quality.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
In hilarious comparison, people on XDA forums who are trying to load custom roms/custom apps at least for rezound (I think it was in the development subthreads) go "b...b...but my beats audio (controls)!"

it amazes me.

Rezound is a nice phone, battery life sucks, screen is great, but beats audio? Does absolutely nothing for the phone.

Also, for anyone using the razr - have you noticed the 4g connection sporadically dropping at 2 bars? edit: I hope it's not 4g interference from having my rezound next to the wife's razr (I'd assume the frequency band is wide enough to deal with that), but I would literally look at 4g not dropping at all on the rezound and then on the razr even trying to access the market it'd just drop, no warning.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 30, 2011

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

notwithoutmyanus posted:

In hilarious comparison, people on XDA forums who are trying to load custom roms/custom apps at least for rezound (I think it was in the development subthreads) go "b...b...but my beats audio (controls)!"

it amazes me.

Rezound is a nice phone, battery life sucks, screen is great, but beats audio? Does absolutely nothing for the phone.

Also, for anyone using the razr - have you noticed the 4g connection sporadically dropping at 2 bars?

80% of the time I have cell data off because I am on wifi. I'll pay attention next time, but that is usually on the drive home instead

I wonder if I can set a tasker task for that

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I do notice that my Razr spends more time on 3G than my Bionic did (usually when I pull it out of my pocket.) Then again, the data connection is much more stable as a result. It also usually jumps back on to 4G as I'm starting to use the device.

I haven't had a single instance yet where I've had to toggle airplane mode to get data back.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Um, is there another thread where this is being discussed? I first read about it briefly last night at work on Ars, then saw Gizmodo has the story today.

This worries me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Verizon is not known to be using Carrier IQ so it won't be installed by a carrier mandate. HTC and Samsung are the only named OEMs so far that have partnered with Carrier IQ who make android handsets.

So, if you want to steer clear, it seems like the best choice right now is to go Verizon and go Motorola or LG.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Pretty sure that was brought up a week or two ago and it turned out that most of the claims were speculative and exaggerated?

Convergence
Apr 9, 2005
So I picked up the Incredible 2 for free last week, and have a couple questions.

I saw that apparently I need to do something to maintain my unlimited data plan, what is the deal with that? I can't find anything concrete on Verizon's miserable site.

Second, holy poo poo does the reception on this phone blow. My Droid 1 gets better service anywhere I try. Never see the signal break -80dbm. I love this phone and I'm going to be pissed if this is as unfixable as it seems. Anyone here have this problem (it seems to be reported elsewhere)?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Convergence posted:

So I picked up the Incredible 2 for free last week, and have a couple questions.

I saw that apparently I need to do something to maintain my unlimited data plan, what is the deal with that? I can't find anything concrete on Verizon's miserable site.

Second, holy poo poo does the reception on this phone blow. My Droid 1 gets better service anywhere I try. Never see the signal break -80dbm. I love this phone and I'm going to be pissed if this is as unfixable as it seems. Anyone here have this problem (it seems to be reported elsewhere)?

If you have unlimited data, then you don't have to do anything to maintain it. It's automatic, even through LTE phone upgrades (for now). If, when you updated to the Inc2 your unlimited data got taken away (through an idiot CSR or whatever), then you have up to 14 days to call VZW and have it put back.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Convergence posted:

Nope, you don't. The unlimited data plan sticks with it, they just don't show it when you do your contract.

You have poor reception? I haven't see it. I absolutely LOVE the Incredible 2. I picked up a body glove rubberish cover for the phone and it covers up all the red so it's like I bought the black one anyways.

But yeah I'm a massive fan. Awesome phone.

edit: Can a Verizon person answer me if this should have come with a 16GB SD Card or an 8? I received a phone with an 8, but everywhere Ive read said that they come with 16 gbs

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 1, 2011

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Verizon's twitter posted:

Yesterday=history, tomorrow=mystery, today is a gift. That’s why it is called the present! You're the best present. See ya at 7:00 AM CST.

If this isn't a Galaxy Nexus release date announcement, Verizon are bigger dicks than I thought possible, even for such a relatively dickish company.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why was that on the VZW support twitter and not the Verizon or Verizon Wireless twitter?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Cojawfee posted:

Why was that on the VZW support twitter and not the Verizon or Verizon Wireless twitter?

Presumably because they're the ones being flooded with people asking about the Nexus.

Edit: Never mind, it looks like they do some sort of doofy sign-off message every night. That took a fuckload of scrolling to find out, though. It's a very busy twitter account. So this is almost certainly nothing important.

Thoom fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Is the Thunderbolt decent for a Verizon/Android/4G device? I want to have something with good ROM support and the ability to lock down the double-your-data promo until the Galaxy Nexus comes through or something.

Has the battery life improved since it came out? I remember that a spare or extended battery was de riguer, is that still true with CM7 or some other AOSP rom?

• Locked thread