Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

DS at Night posted:

A lot of very cute new pictures, I haven't posted any in a while. Sorry about the weird quality I think my phone's lens might be a bit dirty. Anyway here's the troublesome two appearing for all intents and purposes to be happy together. They do this quite often.

Do you ever smoosh them together and motorboat them? Because I would do that often.

I think I'm going to seriously pursue an adoption after Christmas :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Foaming Chicken posted:

Do you ever smoosh them together and motorboat them? Because I would do that often.

Or if you want to go hog wild and get babies there's always Easter....

Portia loves being motor-boated.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Bunway Airlines posted:

:3:

I find that my pair's relationship still changes sometimes. I think it's a work in progress.

These days around here it's been a lot of chasing each other around the room and then forgetting what they were doing. I can't tell if that's a good thing.

Foaming Chicken posted:

Well we do have what probably resemble football huddles where we press our foreheads together. Smooshing would I think piss them off a bit but fortunately they are very much in favor of getting in my face of their own volition.

quote:

Enjoy this month of peace and quiet while it lasts then!

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

I have decided to take romaine out of Bun's diet because it seems to make his poop really soft sometimes and that is bad if he can't stand. I read lettuce and celery can do this, not sure if there are others.

So I went to the market with the list of suggested veggies from http://rabbit.org/care/veggies.html an got a bunch of stuff to see what else he likes. The list says give one of the ones with an *, is there an issue with more than one? Those are the only ones I found that he likes. Apparently he doesn't care for expensive stuff like cilantro at all which is fine with me.

I was sitting watching him earlier and he kept grinding his teeth really fast which I haven't noticed before and I don't know if it means anything. He was not eating, but was eating several minutes earlier and was much faster than his happy grinding but happened just as often. He was semi-sitting/falling over and he stopped when I picked him up on his feet again so I wanted to double check if it was an indicator of pain.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
In case anyone is looking to adopt, I just heard that the Santa Cruz shelter has over 100 rabbits in right now from a large seizure that happened recently. They're mostly adults with very social temperaments. If anyone in CA is looking, that might be a good spot to go.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

CampingCarl posted:

I have decided to take romaine out of Bun's diet because it seems to make his poop really soft sometimes and that is bad if he can't stand. I read lettuce and celery can do this, not sure if there are others.

So I went to the market with the list of suggested veggies from http://rabbit.org/care/veggies.html an got a bunch of stuff to see what else he likes. The list says give one of the ones with an *, is there an issue with more than one? Those are the only ones I found that he likes. Apparently he doesn't care for expensive stuff like cilantro at all which is fine with me.
Well not every human does either :haw: but I would so recommend some basil, the rabbits I know all go nuts for it and it's got a very distinct and pleasant smell to them I think.

I think the idea of the rabbit.org veggie list is to 'at least' give one of the ones marked with a *, so the only drawback of giving more of those ones is ending up with tubby rabbits.

quote:

I was sitting watching him earlier and he kept grinding his teeth really fast which I haven't noticed before and I don't know if it means anything. He was not eating, but was eating several minutes earlier and was much faster than his happy grinding but happened just as often. He was semi-sitting/falling over and he stopped when I picked him up on his feet again so I wanted to double check if it was an indicator of pain.
That sounds kind of bad actually. In my experience often the best way you can tell the difference is the way they carry themselves while doing it, but in your case that's not going to be easy since he's already going to be in a strange pose.

Does he seem less social than normal, moves less, not very responsive, doesn't react much to your handling him? That probably means pain.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Luckily I haven't noticed it since. It is really hard to tell if he sitting in a position because it is comfortable or because he can't move from it. He really doesn't act much different at all most of the time aside from his back legs not working and his inability to turn to the left.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Fifteen years of rabbit handling and I got my first bite last night.

Pepper missed good when she went for her papaya pellet last night, all the screaming and human flesh told her so. She didn't get me bad, broke the skin just a tiny bit and not buch blood, but it still hurts like unholy hell. I guess because of the force? Any first aid besides keep it clean and make sure she doesn't turn into Bunnicula?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Bean posted:

Pepper missed good when she went for her papaya pellet last night, all the screaming and human flesh told her so. She didn't get me bad, broke the skin just a tiny bit and not buch blood, but it still hurts like unholy hell. I guess because of the force? Any first aid besides keep it clean and make sure she doesn't turn into Bunnicula?

Just do the same as you would with any other scrape like it, and be glad it didn't get worse. Maybe a band-aid if it seems that bad.

Though I have a problem of my own-- See, I broke out in cold sores for the first time in a long time this season and they've been there for a week or so. The other day, I was playing with my bunny and she jumped all over my face. Usually fine. Later on, though, I googled the issue and a few results (or really just one result reposted in a few places) said that contact with cold sores could cause a lethal disease in rabbits. Does anyone have any experience with this, or am I needlessly freaking out? She's been acting fine as far as I can tell, at least for now.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

Bean posted:

Put some kind of antibiotic on it just to be on the safe side, imho. Never know if bacteria could get in it, and while animal's mouths aren't festering, better be safe than sorry. Also if I remember right, papercuts hurt so bad because there are so many intact nerve endings to send the pain message. Larger cuts generally wipe those out.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Bean posted:

Fuckin' hell, I've got like 4 on my hands/arms right now.

Lagomorph Legion
Jul 26, 2007

CampingCarl posted:

Luckily I haven't noticed it since. It is really hard to tell if he sitting in a position because it is comfortable or because he can't move from it. He really doesn't act much different at all most of the time aside from his back legs not working and his inability to turn to the left.

He probably feels pain the same way elderly arthritic/mobility-impaired humans do. A daily dose of meloxicam would help with that if your vet thinks it's a good idea. (Also the meloxicam is in a suspension that smells like honey and I've read it described as "highly palatable to rabbits". Mycroft drinks it right out of the syringe and is convinced it is a treat.)

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Sorry you got bit.

I feel extra lucky with my Gordon now. I went from having a pair of rats with one that punched a hole in my fingernail by biting me so hard while handing him food, to my sweet bunny that is so dainty when she takes food from my hand that you'd think she'd die if she touched my fingers. She only bites me if I hold her when she doesn't want it, and nibbles on my clothes if I sit on the floor and don't pet her enough.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrHNu-JKFpA

Edit: And Happy Black(bunny) Friday!

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 25, 2011

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
that is too cute.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
Hey Büns, it looks like this thread needs a kick in the ribs so here's a Wascal update. Wascal has been more and more awesome as each day passes since the removal of his testicles! I'm not sure he'll ever be a lapdog but he's a lot more friendly and open to being petted. He's sitting under my desk grooming himself right now.

While this image might at first strike you as a picture of an aggressive rabbit ready to pounce upon and eat one's face, it is indeed simply a snapshot in time of a rabbit hurrying towards my loving embrace. If he was a drag-racer his tires would be smoking, here.

Here's an artsy-fartsy black and white shot of his shaggy butt. I bought a comb. I'm not sure I'm happy with it.

I don't know if my rabbit is big or not. People keep telling me he's big, but they don't own rabbits so why the gently caress are they opining on the size of my Wascal?

I don't know about you, but if my lunch wound up being twice the length of my body I'd probably freak out even if it was a 12 foot steak, but my rabbit has the heart of a lion and regards collard greens with both scorn and hunger.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Wascal is so handsome. I'd probably bundle Debbie up like a burrito in that huge leaf and make her eat her way out!

Nothing new to report other than counting down the days until I can move her into the new house and finally get a good night's sleep. We're soooo close to being done and I can honestly say that I applaud any other rabbit owners here who can withstand sharing a room with a hyper bun. I love her, I do, but sometimes I want to poke her in the eye.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
Last night Lola got to stay out all night in the office for the first time ever. I'm starting to feel like I can trust her, a little, since she really doesn't do much when I leave her out all day.

Going out of town again this weekend, and I'm kinda hoping she doesn't get stuck penned up in her tiny cage the whole time. That's what happened this past weekend, and it made me really sad.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Well the vet says the meds don't seem to be helping Bun, his right leg is even more stiff, both are starting to atrophy, and he is starting to lose weight. So there isn't anything left to cure him so its down to quality of life. Aside from not being able to get up he seems pretty happy and active though.

So now Mr. Bun will get a cart. I thought at first he would only need training wheels to stay upright, but the vet said he is probably not going to be using his back legs for movement and it would be bad to just drag them. This is a bit of a quandary that I didn't realize until I had left the vet, since Bun is keeping his right leg extended it means his hips need to be high enough that his toes don't touch the ground, his leg is going to stick way out near his head, or he will have to have it not extended while in the cart.

I don't know which of those is best for Bun, so I am thinking I might build the cart myself so I can modify it for whatever he seems comfortable with. Does anyone have any ideas?

On a happier note my sister was over this weekend with TJ and the rabbits seem much more tolerant(ignoring) of each other. If we put a veggie between them they would each eat from one end and meet in the middle lady and the tramp style. :3:

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

gizmojumpjet posted:

I don't know if my rabbit is big or not. People keep telling me he's big, but they don't own rabbits so why the gently caress are they opining on the size of my Wascal?
People would call Lewis fat when he was in full bloom. He was just fluffy :mad:

I think people think of dwarf varieties as being "normal" because that's what they see in pet stores. Your pictures don't give a lot of size reference but Wascal looks like a mediumish bun to me. How much does he weigh?

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
My people-scale shows him at about 5.5 lbs. Two weeks ago it showed him at about 5 lbs. I don't think it's super-accurate., so let's say that he's around five-poundish.

I tried to take a picture of him with something that would give a good size reference. I couldn't find my tape measure so here's a picture of him next to my Nook Simple (you should totally get some sort of e-reader!).

I know this isn't the best image to demonstrate his size but you go to post with the pictures you have.

This is a pretty good shot of his overall shape and form, I'm sure he's not obese, I'm wondering if he's skinny. He is always hungry. Please ignore the poo; he doesn't poop on the floor like that anymore since he got fixed. Generally speaking.

I could stuff collard greens, carrots, and kale into him all day long, I reckon.

He's so cute.

okiecompy
Jul 13, 2007

OMgggggg that bunny chin. Wanna rub it! SAMe is the queen bee bunny and would box the crap out of my hand if i dared to insult her by putting my hand under her chin.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
5lbs probably a large. A "normal" or medium size rabbit is about 3-4 lbs; 8+ is XL. He looks almost exactly the size of my Dodger who is around 5lbs too and whom I consider large but not giant.

gizmojumpjet posted:

I'm wondering if he's skinny. He is always hungry.

Rabbits have to eat constantly to keep their guts moving. They don't have discrete meals like predators. So "always hungry" is pretty normal.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

has anyone tried making bunny treats for the babies before? I came across this website and it looks interesting!

Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh
My bunny got this little black ring around her nose and it's only showed up in the past few days. She's going on about 8 months old now and I don't know if it's normal or what. I tried to touch it to see if it was just fur or something, but I keep accidentally poking her nose and making her run off. Should I take her to the vet?

e:Sorry about the cage being messy. It's from her taking off whenever I touched her nose

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

As far as I can tell it's just something that happens, particularly or maybe only with agouti coats. It's from shedding and happens when they reach a certain age. One of mine has black rings that start around her nose, then move up to become a dapper moustache before ending up as angry eyebrows and then disappearing. I don't have a picture where it's easily visible unfortunately but it definitely looks to be just that.

Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Alright thanks :) I'm glad it's nothing serious, because she's still picky about being picked up and she'd hate to have to ride in a pet carrier to the vet

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

DS at Night posted:

As far as I can tell it's just something that happens, particularly or maybe only with agouti coats. It's from shedding and happens when they reach a certain age. One of mine has black rings that start around her nose, then move up to become a dapper moustache before ending up as angry eyebrows and then disappearing. I don't have a picture where it's easily visible unfortunately but it definitely looks to be just that.

Pepper did this. The vet said it was totally normal.

It's weird to have a solid gray rabbit with one white nose stripe.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

mine get random new fur designs on their faces. In fact, I noticed today that Bitsy has a line that goes right infront of her ears. It kind of looks like she's wearing a hairband.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
One of our Rabbits, 'Gus', a male rex/rex mix, developed a rather large growth the size of a thumb under his chest. Under consultation with our vet, we had the mass removed and biopsied. It came back 'shope-like fibroma'. After a few months, the wound healed and all seemed normal.

Things went along for a few months; but the growth came back - took him to the vet, and the vet decided to, again, try surgery to remove the mass. This was about three months ago.

Now, we've noticed again that the lump has returned, and this time it is about the size of about half the size of a tennis ball. Our vet doesn't think surgery is an option at this point, due to there not being enough skin in order to close the wound.

The growth is subcutaneous, under the belly, and aside from the obvious discomfort of dealing with this mass, he seems in good spirits in terms of eating and getting about. Our vet put him on a 10-day A/B regimen (1 cc, 2x a day of enrofloxacin) to help with one of the cysts that broke out, and as with some of our other rabbits, he's been loosing weight while on this regimen, so high-cal is being given.

Unfortunately, we learned too late that most subcutaneous shope fibromas should not be surgically removed, unless the incisions are made wide, to prevent the spread. Now we're looking at some other form of therapy, but haven't had much luck - so I'm wondering if anyone in this thread has dealt with fibromous masses with their rabbits.

A few other key points; Gus is a male indoor rabbit, neutered, and is just over 10 years of age and weighs about 3.7 pounds (down from his 5-pound heyday).

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

^^ I'm sorry about your bunny sickness :(

my boyfriend found this picture of Bitsy and I had to repost it. My little lard-rear end.

it's a hard life

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

I don't suppose anyone has any suggestions on what to make a cart out of or where I can go to find information on it? Commercial carts seem way too expensive for what they are and they all seem very large for Bun who is only a 1.1 kg dwarf.

Specifically I need to find wheels that are light and easy to move. I am also unsure if support straps need to be padded or anything.

I hope to have something for him in the next few days. He seems to be more frustrated with me measuring and moving him than with his legs not working.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Get some stainless steel tubing and a pipe bender, and appropriate sized casters. You can probably get everything you need at www.mcmaster.com. I think that they sell every fitting and widget you can legally own. You may also want to post a thread in the DIY forum. While the actually making of the thing is probably something anyone can do, if you don't have any experience with that sort of thing you might not know what mathom or doodad you need to make your gadget.

I just a little brief googling for rabbit carts and it looks like they use wide straps rather than narrow, padded ones.

Oops, almost forgot to post a picture of my rabbit.

gizmojumpjet fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 6, 2011

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Steel is heavy, right now the frame is either going to be aluminium or pvc depending on which is lighter. The main problem is I can't find anywhere that would sell wheels of the right size that don't weigh as much as Bun does. Everything is either small caster wheels like on chairs or big heavy ones for lawnmowers and such. These wheels with capacity of 200 lbs are a bit much for such a little guy.

Bun has figured out how to get up from laying down and now insists on getting up. Problem is he always ends up with one rear leg stuck out by his head and the other almost on its side, so his front feet have to be where his rear feet would be. It looks incredibly uncomfortable(I wish I had a working camera) and he can't really move once in this position even if he wants to. But every time I try to help him up he just gets back in the same position and I can't tell if it is voluntary or not. I am pretty sure I am more depressed about his condition than he is at this point because I don't know what he wants.

CampingCarl fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 6, 2011

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Guigui posted:

:word:

My rabbit's life was prematurely ended by fibrosarcoma. If you post some contact info, I'll send you my vet's information. She was in contact with several specialists.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

CampingCarl posted:

Steel is heavy, right now the frame is either going to be aluminium or pvc depending on which is lighter. The main problem is I can't find anywhere that would sell wheels of the right size that don't weigh as much as Bun does. Everything is either small caster wheels like on chairs or big heavy ones for lawnmowers and such. These wheels with capacity of 200 lbs are a bit much for such a little guy.

Try hobby stores, specifically the ones that cater to the model airplane crowd. A friend of mine made her bunny's cart using model airplane materials. The bars and wheels were light but strong.

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me
CampingCarl, I've been following Mr. Bun's story and honestly, I'm not sure that the whole cart thing is the right thing to do. He's 14 and he's in really bad shape...why make him stay like this until you figure out how to make a cart, and then put him through the stress of figuring out how to get around in it?

My 10-year-old dwarf mix just went through something very similar (her nerves got messed up from aging and her back legs stopped working). She was eating, relatively happy (though increasingly frustrated by her condition)...but she needed daily baths to clean pee and poop off of her and I knew her condition could only get worse from there (infections, sores, fur loss, loss of muscle mass, etc were all likely to occur).

Three weeks ago, I made the decision to have her put to sleep. If I had thought a cart would work out, I would have gotten her one. I would have moved heaven and earth for my Hailie if I had thought there was anything I could do to help her or improve her life. But really, it just wasn't worth it to put her through all that. I didn't want to force her to experience anything worse than she had already gone through. I'm completely heartbroken over the loss, but I am very much at peace with my decision.

He's your bunny and it's your decision, but since I just went through a very similar situation, I felt I should share how I handled it.

I'm sorry you and Mr. Bun are going through this :(

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

My entire reasoning for the cart is basically I think that is what will be best for his quality of life. Mobility is really his only problem, he doesn't seem to be in pain, he eats and poops normally, he is alert and still seems pretty happy. He certainly hasn't given up on trying to move around the house, so I don't want to give up on helping him before he does.

If he wasn't still trying to move or was in pain then I would say a cart may not really help and other things should certainly be considered.

alucinor posted:

Try hobby stores, specifically the ones that cater to the model airplane crowd. A friend of mine made her bunny's cart using model airplane materials. The bars and wheels were light but strong.

I will try this next. Do you happen to know anything more specific about your friend's cart? I don't know model airplanes so I am curious what kind of bars I should look for.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Unfortunately I barely remember it, it was years ago that I last saw it. I just remember it had big soft toy plane tires.

Does your vet have any ability to help you with a cart, or do you have a vet school near you that you could contact about helping? Personally, I would feel better having a vet or someone with rabbit anatomy and physiology expertise to assist me. There may be unintended consequences - like having a support band that is too far down the abdomen and putting compression pressure on the soft organs, or the alignment puts him into a position that could lead to additional spinal/nerve damage. Assistive devices are supposed to be built to put the body into a position and weight bearing pattern that is as close as possible to how a healthy body would be positioned - and I am pretty sure I could not do this just by eyeballing it.

http://www.gregrichdvm.com/images/rabbit-ambulatory-cart.jpg is a nice looking cart at a vet's clinic, maybe you could email them and ask how and who constructed it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

I have talked to the vet about a cart and am planning on another visit to determine the exact places that should or should not be supported by straps or pads. The basic frame and wheel setup is pretty much the same from cart to cart though.

That pic looks like a commercial cart that I found, but I can't remember which company. The design is similar to what I am making, although the rabbit in that pic looks to have issues with its front legs.