Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

kitten smoothie posted:

Yeah, the SMS is routed through data and you won't ever get an actual SMS from GV unless you tell it to forward SMS messages that get sent to your GV number. Frankly I prefer GV to the carier VVM service anyway because I like the web access to my voicemail. For example, I get a call at work in the middle of a meeting I can just go to the website, look at the transcription, and text them back right from my laptop.

But apparently the new visual voicemail features built into ICS that they demoed at the launch event (integrating voicemail with call logs, etc) are really just a set of APIs and the carrier has to implement stuff to support it on their end.

So it seems like if you want those fancy features, then I'd imagine you might have to pay the monthly VVM charge for them to work.

Well, that's a downside. Hopefully since they're the ones who developed the API's they'll have GV interfacing with it as well. It's like selling cars but charging separately for seats. Also known as the #1 reason keeping me with Sprint - I don't get dinged half a dozen times each month in stupid fees for poo poo that doesn't cost the carrier a drat thing.

I linked my Sprint number to GV so my GV number is my actual phone number from Sprint, meaning I'd probably need to port the number into GV in order to continue using it with GV. Get whatever number from Verizon, port Sprint number to GV, new phone has verizon number, GV routes all calls to my Sprint number to the new phone, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

vote_no posted:

Well said, I really wish CM7 worked properly on the Thunderbolt.

What are the issues with CM7 on the Thunderbolt? I just got one that the previous owner installed CyanogenMod-7.1.0-RC1.7-Thunderbolt-KANG on. Should I install a different ROM?

BTW I see how the Thundebrolt has poo poo battery life - HTC gave it a 1400mAh battery when even the EVO got a 1500 mAh one. Maybe because the rest of the phone is like a boat anchor? v :) v

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The Entire Universe posted:

I linked my Sprint number to GV so my GV number is my actual phone number from Sprint, meaning I'd probably need to port the number into GV in order to continue using it with GV. Get whatever number from Verizon, port Sprint number to GV, new phone has verizon number, GV routes all calls to my Sprint number to the new phone, correct?
I don't know how the Sprint-GV integration works, can you just "de-link" the deep Sprint integration and then port the number to GV directly?

Otherwise that seems like the right approach, get a new number from VZW and route your GV calls to it. The only issue is going to be that MMS won't route over GV; Google is supposedly working on having it email you MMS messages but that's only in pilot phase on Sprint right now and not expanding yet.

Mark Larson posted:

What are the issues with CM7 on the Thunderbolt? I just got one that the previous owner installed CyanogenMod-7.1.0-RC1.7-Thunderbolt-KANG on. Should I install a different ROM?

BTW I see how the Thundebrolt has poo poo battery life - HTC gave it a 1400mAh battery when even the EVO got a 1500 mAh one. Maybe because the rest of the phone is like a boat anchor? v :) v
There's a newer version now, 7.1.1. The thread on XDA says it has last been updated Oct 2, I haven't seen any newer builds since that.

My only CM7 issue is the radio interface is still janky and I have random loss of connectivity. Either the 3G/4G icons vanish, or they turn to grey (from green), meaning the phone has no connectivity to the Google mothership.

If you think the TB is a boat anchor, try it with the extended battery. And know that the battery life on the included retail battery is so bad, that for a while VZW started throwing in the extended battery for free.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

serewit posted:

Dimes to dollars says that isn't actually the ICS VVM implementation, it's their preexisting shitbox VVM ported over to it.

Can't wait to find out that getting this "working" was the reason the phone took so long to come out.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

kitten smoothie posted:

There's a newer version now, 7.1.1. The thread on XDA says it has last been updated Oct 2, I haven't seen any newer builds since that.

My only CM7 issue is the radio interface is still janky and I have random loss of connectivity. Either the 3G/4G icons vanish, or they turn to grey (from green), meaning the phone has no connectivity to the Google mothership.

If you think the TB is a boat anchor, try it with the extended battery. And know that the battery life on the included retail battery is so bad, that for a while VZW started throwing in the extended battery for free.

Yeah I've been rocking the latest Slayher CM7 build and really haven't had any complaints besides random data drop outs. This is all because of the janky RIL that has to be used to get CM7 to work.

I'm getting about 18-24 hours off charger depending on use with LeanKernel (OC'd to 1.4) and a Seidio Extended battery. It's completely ridiculous that I have to spend the extra money for the battery but it's the difference between 8 hours and 20 hours off charger.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Penguissimo posted:

Can't wait to find out that getting this "working" was the reason the phone took so long to come out.

Would you seriously let this go?

Repeat after me. Samsung hasn't given Verizon shipments of phones to sell yet.

There have been numerous leaks to show that Verizon wanted to release the thing by 11/28 but stock didn't get to them in enough time to do so.

Verizon is not holding up the launch of the phone. They actually have to HAVE something to sell before they can do so.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I had a little debate with someone on G+ about this, I kept telling them Verizon didn't have units but his argument was "I worked for a 3rd party retailer I know how Verizon does things," and that G+ post by that dude talking about how pissed off at Verizon he was for mishandling the release. Also he pointed to the other delays that have happened this year, the TB, something else, the Bionic and something called the Merge. I got tired of arguing with him.

Edit: Got tired of arguing because his argument eventually got to "screen grabs, that's your evidence?" :smug:

Edit: I also pointed out Samsungs history of releasing broken phones but he would have none of it.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 2, 2011

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bull3964 posted:

There have been numerous leaks to show that Verizon wanted to release the thing by 11/28 but stock didn't get to them in enough time to do so.

Verizon is not holding up the launch of the phone. They actually have to HAVE something to sell before they can do so.

Don't believe it. Samsung is a beautiful company, Verizon is an evil carrier. Samsung delivered the GSM version on time, so I don't think it is only their fault for the Verizon delay, right? I know there were rumors Verizon wasn't happy with the LTE radio performance. Has that rumor been contradicted since then? Any other reasonable rumors about the cause of the delay? Or if it is some production problem or something, why did the GSM version get out on time? Do we know how different the hardware is? Is it really only the radio being switched out (and bigger internal memory) or is there more to it that could hold everything up?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Ciabatta posted:

Do we know how different the hardware is? Is it really only the radio being switched out (and bigger internal memory) or is there more to it that could hold everything up?

That alone is a big deal.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mark Larson posted:

That alone is a big deal.

Got it, I wasn't sure. I thought one of the nice things of using OMAP was it supported LTE, but I have no idea what else you have to change to make the different radios work.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Sorry to offend you, pal. I can go back and edit out the three or four times I've posted on this topic if it'll make you feel better. Just let me know.

And there have been plenty of leaks pointing at problems on both ends. If it comes down to p3 and his crew reporting a lack of shipments vs. blackmanx claiming that Verizon is having trouble getting their carrier apps working, it's a little hard to imagine that there isn't a little bit of truth to both.

Penguissimo fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 2, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Yea, at this point I'm kind of blaming everyone. RELEASE THE PHONE!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's actually even a physically thicker device.

That means different device shells (it's a different color as well). If it has to be physically thicker, there's a reason for it and it isn't because of the 100mAh battery increase. You swap out the GSM chipset for a CMDA2000 chipset (probably the same global one that's in the Razr/Bionic/iPhone4 that CAN support GSM bands if enabled and wired to antennas.) Then on top of that you have to add the LTE chipset and associated amps and power management chipsets (since we don't have a combined CDMA/LTE solution chipetset yet.)

So, the non-radio portions of the PCB layout, the camera, buttons, I/O, and screen assembly will be the same as the GSM version. However, everything else is different.

Since this is the only market that's getting this variant, I wouldn't be surprised if production capacity was shifted more towards the GSM variant.

Penguissimo posted:

And there have been plenty of leaks pointing at problems on both ends. If it comes down to p3 and his crew reporting a lack of shipments vs. blackmanx claiming that Verizon is having trouble getting their carrier apps working, it's a little hard to imagine that there isn't a little bit of truth to both.

Well, we have some physical evidence that Verizon was targeting the 28th for launch but couldn't due to lack of anything to ship. It's not just down a matter of who has heard what.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/22/new-verizon-map-shows-xoom-2-on-contract-pricing-galaxy-nexus-release-date-mention/

quote:

Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Verizon has launch for 11/28 but I expect this to change since we can't ship product this week. I'll let you know once I receive updated information.

There was also the misfiring of the black friday ads that showed up on many websites.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 2, 2011

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So far, many cases available for the GNEX are "universal" meaning they fit both GSM and CDMA models "like a glove." I forget the manufacturer, but one said there is only .5mm difference in the models, and all cases, screen films, etc, will fit both equally as good with zero noticible difference.

I'm still trying to find a Verizon store that won't play coy with me when I ask for the GN case/screen protectors. I realize the phone technically doesn't exist yet, but many on XDA posted photos of the cases and protectors they bought from corporate VZW stores. None in Utah are showing their hand, however. I'll show them the phone and say I know they have the cases, and the return with a blank state and tell me they have never heard of such a thing. Guess they were threatened by the regional manager not to sell them to non-VZW customers so they can save their stock for the launch. Oh well. Can't blame them I guess, but it's inconsistent depending on the store manager.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
When (if) Nexus launches will it be instore at CostCo the day it launches in VZW stores? I am going to stab someone to get it launch day. Does CostCo ever do the "hold product via phone" too?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Not an Anthem posted:

When (if) Nexus launches will it be instore at CostCo the day it launches in VZW stores? I am going to stab someone to get it launch day. Does CostCo ever do the "hold product via phone" too?

They will not hold product via phone.

Best Buy inventory screenshots say the 11th. So, if it really is launching on the 8th in corp stores, it's possible it won't reach 3rd party stores until the following week.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
The company I work for gets a 15% discount from Verizon. When I go in to set up a new line of service, what do I need to bring to get my discount? Would a paystub suffice?

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

The company I work for gets a 15% discount from Verizon. When I go in to set up a new line of service, what do I need to bring to get my discount? Would a paystub suffice?

According to their site, either a paystub or company issued picture ID will work.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

duffmensch posted:

According to their site, either a paystub or company issued picture ID will work.

Perfect, thanks!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ciabatta posted:

Don't believe it. Samsung is a beautiful company, Verizon is an evil carrier. Samsung delivered the GSM version on time, so I don't think it is only their fault for the Verizon delay, right? I know there were rumors Verizon wasn't happy with the LTE radio performance. Has that rumor been contradicted since then? Any other reasonable rumors about the cause of the delay? Or if it is some production problem or something, why did the GSM version get out on time? Do we know how different the hardware is? Is it really only the radio being switched out (and bigger internal memory) or is there more to it that could hold everything up?

Samsung has a history of doing well on UK versions of a phone model while sorely loving up the US versions.

68Bird
Sep 2, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Verizon has launch for 11/28 but I expect this to change since we can't ship product this week. I'll let you know once I receive updated information.

I'm not trying to argue about this because I really don't care WHO was responsible for this phone taking so loving long to come out, but saying they can't ship product doesn't mean that they don't HAVE it. If they're having trouble with their bullshit backup app, radio performance, or anything else that's been thrown around, it seems like they could easily say, "Nope, don't sell them until we have an OTA to send out." Either way, I'm pretty confident we'll all have this phone in our hands by next week; my corporate Verizon store has started an unoffical waiting list of sorts, so a fair number of people must be excited for it.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

It's actually even a physically thicker device.

That means different device shells (it's a different color as well). If it has to be physically thicker, there's a reason for it and it isn't because of the 100mAh battery increase. You swap out the GSM chipset for a CMDA2000 chipset (probably the same global one that's in the Razr/Bionic/iPhone4 that CAN support GSM bands if enabled and wired to antennas.) Then on top of that you have to add the LTE chipset and associated amps and power management chipsets (since we don't have a combined CDMA/LTE solution chipetset yet.)

So, the non-radio portions of the PCB layout, the camera, buttons, I/O, and screen assembly will be the same as the GSM version. However, everything else is different.

Since this is the only market that's getting this variant, I wouldn't be surprised if production capacity was shifted more towards the GSM variant.

Well, we have some physical evidence that Verizon was targeting the 28th for launch but couldn't due to lack of anything to ship. It's not just down a matter of who has heard what.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/22/new-verizon-map-shows-xoom-2-on-contract-pricing-galaxy-nexus-release-date-mention/

There was also the misfiring of the black friday ads that showed up on many websites.

Someone over on Android Forums posted a nice summary of the messages we were getting:

quote:

11/14:
P3Droid - Put your money down folks..you can relax. The nexus won't be here soon. Start planning for end of year purchases. That is the new word on the street.

black_man_x - Just saying this.. Devices are ready and date that vzw asked for was met.. So if you don't see it in stores... Well #blamevzw

11/15:
black_man_x - well..big red has the shiny LTE.. they make the calls.. no need to get upset.. it will be here.. one day

11/18:
P3Droid - So here is the skinny..there is no stock in the us..orders will arrive at us customs around the 29th of November

black_man_x - I'm tired of these "technical issue" rumors about the nexus delay.. Should just bring back the google.Com/phone address back

11/19:
black_man_x - If you can't code your lovely carrier apps to work with a device or OS.. is that our issue or yours? #justsaying

P3Droid - WTF, Nexus is not delayed due to MyVerizon.apk or BackupAssistant, the phone is drop dead ready !!!

There was also a nice rant from BMX on G+ blaming Verizon's control-freak habits for the delay.

In other words, everyone is trying to blame everyone else for screwing something up, and it's really quite plausible that everyone did screw something up. The only reason I chose to pick on Verizon in particular on this page was because their apps were up for discussion. Sorry that seems to have offended you so dearly, but you'll notice I also do my fair share of bitching about Samsung. Am I absolved now?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

At this point I blame everybody.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Penguissimo posted:

Sorry that seems to have offended you so dearly, but you'll notice I also do my fair share of bitching about Samsung. Am I absolved now?

I'm not really sure where you get I'm offended. I'm just tired of the internet hype machine making mountains out of mole hills and leaping to conclusions that Verizon is trying to sabotage this phone in some way.

Verizon sells service. In particular, Verizon wants to push LTE as hard as possible. It is just silly to think that Verizon would hold back the release of a top spec phone that would further this goal (especially when they are executing so well on every other aspect of the LTE rollout) over a contacts backup app and an app that gives you a widget to tell you your data usage.

Occam's Razor. Either they don't have enough stock to sell, or there is an actual technical issue that needed to be addressed before it can go out (likely the later causing the former through the need to reflash stock.) I'll tell you one thing though, My Verizon or Backup Assistant wouldn't require a kernel update or a new radio baseband. Both of those things happened in the last week though.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Mark Larson posted:

Like others have said, data dropout is a big issue. GPS doesn't work either and the camera is super glitchy. I've been using Bamf Forever which, once you delete most of the SENSE components has been stable and quick. The only annoyance is that the camera app doesn't datestamp its filenames, instead going with IMG0001 or whatever.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

JayKay posted:

At this point I blame everybody.

I blame myself really.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
The Verizon Wireless Megathread - Nexus discussion station.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Ciabatta posted:

Have you actually used a Charge, Fascinate or Continuum?

The problems with all three of them IS Samsung. Nice hardware, lovely, lovely software. Verizon doesn't force the godawful Touchwiz UI on anyone.

Bing, CityID Backup assistant, Let's Golf, ETC are annoying but none of these can account for the bugs and the lovely user exerence.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
With the first sentence of his post being what it was I seriously took it as a joke post. Oops.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Mighty Horse posted:

The Fascinate's the best phone in you guys' lineup now that it runs CyanogenMod -- makes sense, since it's literally a Verizon Nexus S internally.

Seriously though I don't think I've ever seen such a stark improvement in overall quality on a smartphone from loading custom software onto it as I saw with the Fascinate. It literally did go from worst to best, relative to the other stuff in VZW's lineup. Now that the thing's dirt cheap, it's pretty much a steal.

If you've got a stock Fascinate, I feel bad for you son.

Waiting for the community to do Samsung's and Verizon's jobs for them with the Charge is growing tiresome. I miss my LTE.

kbar fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 2, 2011

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mighty Horse posted:

The problems with all three of them IS Samsung. Nice hardware, lovely, lovely software. Verizon doesn't force the godawful Touchwiz UI on anyone.

Bing, CityID Backup assistant, Let's Golf, ETC are annoying but none of these can account for the bugs and the lovely user exerence.

I have a Charge and it rules :colbert: But yes, first sentence joke, rest of post serious questions. I know its been said many times, but I like the Charge once I got it off of terrible Touchwiz. Maybe once the Gingerbread source hits there will be a slim chance of CM7 or 9?

As it is, there are one or two usable Gingerbread ROMs, but they're not even close to perfect. I seriously considered stepping down to a Fascinate and pocketing the $100 or so difference, then getting the Nexus whenever it comes out, but I don't think it is worth the hassle at this point. LTE is very nice, the 4.3" screen is great (the Fascinate is AMOLED with pentile, right?), but (aftermarket) software-wise the Fascinate owns the Charge pretty hard. There's already an alpha Fascinate ICS that I think people say is good enough to use.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

At this point I don't care if they delay the Nexus if it means they are not going to shove a half baked device out the door and forget about it like the Thunderbolt.

I just hope I can get my hands on it before the end of the month because I was planning on deducting it as a business expense this year.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Ciabatta posted:

I have a Charge and it rules :colbert:
I have a Charge, and you are lying.

In a year or so once it's fully hacked it'll represent a really decent inexpensive CM9 LTE phone. Currently though, it's an abomination. I wish I'd just craigslisted a Fascinate in July and saved my subsidy for the Galaxy Nexus, but, well, you can relate to the impulse to sip on dat LTE. Heck, you're still giving in to it.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
My Bionic has been acting up the past two nights. When I go to sleep it at some point locks up. I have to do a battery pull to get it to respond at all. It's annoying because my alarm has failed the past two days because the phone isn't working. It works fine all day. Any ideas?

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kalibar posted:

I have a Charge, and you are lying.

In a year or so once it's fully hacked it'll represent a really decent inexpensive CM9 LTE phone. Currently though, it's an abomination. I wish I'd just craigslisted a Fascinate in July and saved my subsidy for the Galaxy Nexus, but, well, you can relate to the impulse to sip on dat LTE. Heck, you're still giving in to it.

Didn't you just post in the phone recommendation thread about how holding onto your subsidy for months doesn't make much sense financially? I got my Charge in July, too, and at the time it was the clear best option in my opinion (Tbolt, Charge, or X2).

Coming from a Tmo G2, I really am not too disappointed. I learned I don't need a keyboard, value lightweight + plasticky over well-made + heavy, and that a nice screen makes the phone much more pleasant. I also never rooted the G2 (worked great on stock AOSP), but had to flash the Charge within a week of owning it. So one more reason Samsung is great is they taught me how and why to root and flash custom ROMs!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Bobx66 posted:

I blame myself really.

Blame God, or yourself.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Ciabatta posted:

So one more reason Samsung is great is they taught me how and why to root and flash custom ROMs!

That's like saying you thank your abusive spouse for showing you how to take blows.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mark Larson posted:

That's like saying you thank your abusive spouse for showing you how to take blows.

Exactly, if Samsung didn't care about us customers, they would give us perfectly working phones that don't require us to better ourselves and learn new and valuable skills. I'm glad someone else gets it :hfive:

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

kitten smoothie posted:

At this point I don't care if they delay the Nexus if it means they are not going to shove a half baked device out the door and forget about it like the Thunderbolt.

Yes I can't wait to do NFC pairing with all the other devices with NFC on the mar..ket... :emo:

I have a feeling NFC pairing will be like when the Nintendo DS first came out and everyone sat next to each other outside of Toys R Us or whatever playing wifi games.

"Oooh send me that powerpoint again this is so cool!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

wandler20 posted:

My Bionic has been acting up the past two nights. When I go to sleep it at some point locks up. I have to do a battery pull to get it to respond at all. It's annoying because my alarm has failed the past two days because the phone isn't working. It works fine all day. Any ideas?

Do you keep LTE on or do you turn it off to save battery? Do you use a Task Manager? Is it plugged in overnight?

• Locked thread