Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Not an Anthem posted:

Yes I can't wait to do NFC pairing with all the other devices with NFC on the mar..ket... :emo:

I have a feeling NFC pairing will be like when the Nintendo DS first came out and everyone sat next to each other outside of Toys R Us or whatever playing wifi games.

"Oooh send me that powerpoint again this is so cool!"

Eh, I'm looking forward to using NFC at the various retailers here since there are quite a few that accept Google Wallet in the DC Metro area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

ProjektorBoy posted:

Do you keep LTE on or do you turn it off to save battery? Do you use a Task Manager? Is it plugged in overnight?

I don't live in an LTE area so that is off. I don't use a task manager and I do not plug it in overnight.

This is strange too because I bought the phone at launch and it's worked fine up until two nights ago.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Not an Anthem posted:

Yes I can't wait to do NFC pairing with all the other devices with NFC on the mar..ket... :emo:

I have a feeling NFC pairing will be like when the Nintendo DS first came out and everyone sat next to each other outside of Toys R Us or whatever playing wifi games.

"Oooh send me that powerpoint again this is so cool!"

Google gave us all a few free NFC tags at I/O this year and with a Nexus I'll finally have something to read/write them with.

At one point I had a Locale rule set up so that when I was at work, it would put the phone on vibrate and stop checking for work email (since I was at my desk and saw it on my PC), but it used too much battery to check my location. So maybe I'll just stick an NFC tag on my desk to trigger my phone into shut-up mode.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

JayKay posted:

Eh, I'm looking forward to using NFC at the various retailers here since there are quite a few that accept Google Wallet in the DC Metro area.

Since Google is partnered with sprint for Google wallet in the US, I wonder if it's going to be officially supported on a Verizon Nexus.

It currently DOESN'T work on AT&T and T-Mobile Nexus S.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 3, 2011

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

bull3964 posted:

Since Google is partnered with sprint for Google wallet in the US, I wonder if it's going to be officially supported on a Verizon Nexus.

What does Sprint even do in the partnership besides sell the specific phone model that GW supports?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

bull3964 posted:

It currently DOESN'T work on AT&T and T-Mobile Nexus S.

The VZW Galaxy Nesus will not officially support google wallet. Some guy already has a kernel out that makes it work though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thoom posted:

What does Sprint even do in the partnership besides sell the specific phone model that GW supports?

That's pretty much it.

It's basically an exclusivity agreement that virtually no carrier cares about since they've all thrown their hat behind a different mobile payment scheme.

Magic Underwear posted:

The VZW Galaxy Nesus will not officially support google wallet. Some guy already has a kernel out that makes it work though.

Yeah, I'm sure someone will get it to work. However, doing bypasses like that is great for stuff like getting Netflix to work on an unspported device or getting Hulu to work on mobile flash, but I'm not sure I'm ready to link my money to an payment method that's completely unsupported and requires a community supported kernel to make function.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
That is a bummer. I was really looking forward to that.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Magic Underwear posted:

The VZW Galaxy Nesus will not officially support google wallet.

What the hell is the point of the program, then? One damned phone?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

What payment scheme is VZW backing?

While not a dealbreaker, the fact wallet is not going to be officially supported blows hardcore.

Edit: they're using something called Isis

JayKay fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 3, 2011

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The fact that Google is letting Verizon go in and muck up the software is the sad part.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jealous Cow posted:

The fact that Google is letting Verizon go in and muck up the software is the sad part.

I have been wondering when Google will start seeing hard coded OEM customizations and carrier shitware as the liabilities they are, security or otherwise. Maybe they want to eventually get a crucial piece in there that they control access to and then can ensure at least least the ability to get rid of Blur or Sense or whatever if a user so desires without. Market access is somewhat pointless if all someone needs to do is hit up Amazon.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

kitten smoothie posted:

Google gave us all a few free NFC tags at I/O this year and with a Nexus I'll finally have something to read/write them with.

At one point I had a Locale rule set up so that when I was at work, it would put the phone on vibrate and stop checking for work email (since I was at my desk and saw it on my PC), but it used too much battery to check my location. So maybe I'll just stick an NFC tag on my desk to trigger my phone into shut-up mode.

Oh man that is awesome. Can regular dorks make/buy NFC tags?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Jealous Cow posted:

What the hell are you talking about? It's a stock device.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Not an Anthem posted:

Oh man that is awesome. Can regular dorks make/buy NFC tags?

Yep, you can get them from places like Tagstand for about a buck each or less in bulk.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Yea I was going to ask this too but meh...

Bloatware!!!

My aosp!

The horror!

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Does not having Google Wallet count?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Is that Verizon fault though? Genuine question as I have no idea what kind of deal Sprint has with Google.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

No NFC support
My Verizon Mobile
VZ Backup Assistant

It means it will run a Verizon specific build of ICS. Today, Google released a recovery image for the GNEX GSM. I wonder if they'll release one for CDMA devices as well? Somehow I doubt it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Jealous Cow posted:

No NFC support
My Verizon Mobile
VZ Backup Assistant

It means it will run a Verizon specific build of ICS. Today, Google released a recovery image for the GNEX GSM. I wonder if they'll release one for CDMA devices as well? Somehow I doubt it.

It's going to run a Verizon specific build anyway, because this is the only LTE model being sold.

Surely they haven't posted any recovery images now because they have rolled two updates, if not more, just this week. And if they continue to tweak the software with radio updates even now, clearly it's not Backup Assistant that is holding up the release.

There is no Google Wallet on the HSPA+ model either, so it sounds like Google may well have an exclusivity agreement with Sprint. And it looks like you can take advantage of how easy it is to root the Galaxy Nexus, and install the Sprint Nexus S Google Wallet on it.

Relax dude, your phone is gonna be OK.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Jealous Cow posted:

No NFC support
My Verizon Mobile
VZ Backup Assistant

There's NFC support in the Galaxy Nexus for Verizon.

There isn't support for Google Wallet in the google wallet app because GOOGLE has decided to lock it down to a specific device on a specific carrier.

You have to flash an hack into the AT&T Nexus S, T-Mobile Nexus S, and HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus in order to use Google wallet on those devices. So, are you saying that the Sprint Nexus S 4G is the only pure google phone out there?

It comes with two pre-installed apps. Boo hoo. That's not 'messing with the software' that's coming with two pre-installed apps. They are just normal apps, the OS isn't altered in any way, shape, or form for them to be there.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

bull3964 posted:

There's NFC support in the Galaxy Nexus for Verizon.

There isn't support for Google Wallet in the google wallet app because GOOGLE has decided to lock it down to a specific device on a specific carrier.

You have to flash an hack into the AT&T Nexus S, T-Mobile Nexus S, and HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus in order to use Google wallet on those devices. So, are you saying that the Sprint Nexus S 4G is the only pure google phone out there?

It comes with two pre-installed apps. Boo hoo. That's not 'messing with the software' that's coming with two pre-installed apps. They are just normal apps, the OS isn't altered in any way, shape, or form for them to be there.

And to be honest the 2 apps are semi useful for some people anyways. I've never had issues with either.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

The Entire Universe posted:

Maybe they want to eventually get a crucial piece in there that they control access to and then can ensure at least least the ability to get rid of Blur or Sense or whatever if a user so desires without.

It sounds like you're saying that maybe Google wants to force manufacturers to give manufacturers the option to turn off Blur/Sense. This isn't going to happen, it does nothing but piss off the people creating phones that use their software. Before the preemptive "well, consumers deserve a choice" response remember that they do have one, they can buy a different phone.

Groveling Toast
Jun 2, 2008

Are you guys with Bionics still dropping 3G all the loving time? This is really getting old.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

headshot24 posted:

Are you guys with Bionics still dropping 3G all the loving time? This is really getting old.

Oddly enough, my Bionic is rock-solid on 3G like crazy. It refuses to drop signal. I don't live in heavy 4G coverage so I keep it turned off. Whenever I do enable 4G it feels like the radio is skittish as hell and drops it at the slightest hiccup.

There's an OTA coming soon that updates and/or fixes radio behavior. You might want to hold out for it to see if it gives you more stability.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Initially I agreed with you, but there was a bit of good conversation about this in the last AndroidCentral podcast that changed my mind. It's not that it's "only two apps," it's that they're shipping closed-source software on a Nexus device. Customers can just as easily grab the apps from the market. This kind of software has no place shipping with a Nexus device.

It's not a debate about the practicality of the situation, it's more what it represents. Maybe the next Nexus phone will have five preloaded shitware apps, and hey who cares, it's "only five apps."

(In the interest of disclosure, I'll readily admit that I always download the My Verizon app for my CM7 ROMs anyway. I just really appreciate not having it preloaded.)

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Did anyone in NYC play with a Verizon Nexus at whatever the Samsung Experience is? Engadget has some pictures and hands-on comments, but it wasn't clear to me whether it was media only or an open event. In any case, I am happy to have confirmation the thing exists. Here's hoping for a $200 upgrade or $500 unsubsidized price!

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Ciabatta posted:

Did anyone in NYC play with a Verizon Nexus at whatever the Samsung Experience is? Engadget has some pictures and hands-on comments, but it wasn't clear to me whether it was media only or an open event. In any case, I am happy to have confirmation the thing exists. Here's hoping for a $200 upgrade or $500 unsubsidized price!

Neither of these prices are going to happen. And I think it was a media event. They've got pictures on The Verge as well.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

kalibar posted:

Initially I agreed with you, but there was a bit of good conversation about this in the last AndroidCentral podcast that changed my mind. It's not that it's "only two apps," it's that they're shipping closed-source software on a Nexus device. Customers can just as easily grab the apps from the market. This kind of software has no place shipping with a Nexus device.

It's not a debate about the practicality of the situation, it's more what it represents. Maybe the next Nexus phone will have five preloaded shitware apps, and hey who cares, it's "only five apps."

(In the interest of disclosure, I'll readily admit that I always download the My Verizon app for my CM7 ROMs anyway. I just really appreciate not having it preloaded.)

And another good point was also brought up, gapps are closed source. Pretty sure the GB launcher was closed source originally too.

Edit: Didn't the Nexus one come with Facebook and Amazon MP3 preinstalled also?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Codiusprime posted:

Edit: Didn't the Nexus one come with Facebook and Amazon MP3 preinstalled also?
Sure did.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Oh god my aosp. I didn't think it was a very good point and Jerry's response was "don't use gapps." Hey, guess what, I'm not going to use the Verizon apps. By his logic problem solved.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So when does the double-data promo end again?

I am lightly entertaining the idea of selling my 2-week old GNEX and heading to Verizon...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The nexus one didn't even come with the aosp launcher.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

The nexus one didn't even come with the aosp launcher.

Yup, and as mentioned it came with Amazon MP3 and Facebook.

People have ideals for this device that have ever been met by any nexus device.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

That's fair, I guess I'm comparing it to CyanogenMod instead of "the reality of other Nexus devices." With CM, you have to get the Google Apps separately and if you don't care for Google's services you could use the device completely independently of them (including sideloading your apps or utilizing an alternate marketplace).

Preloaded GApps fit with the sales pitch of a "Google experience device," at least. lovely Verizon apps don't. It just seems like a slippery slope for there to be any fuckery on these devices when the lack of fuckery is the big selling point. If you let that slope get too slippery, you're shipping TouchWiz before long.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

kalibar posted:

That's fair, I guess I'm comparing it to CyanogenMod instead of "the reality of other Nexus devices." With CM, you have to get the Google Apps separately and if you don't care for Google's services you could use the device completely independently of them (including sideloading your apps or utilizing an alternate marketplace).

Preloaded GApps fit with the sales pitch of a "Google experience device," at least. lovely Verizon apps don't. It just seems like a slippery slope for there to be any fuckery on these devices when the lack of fuckery is the big selling point. If you let that slope get too slippery, you're shipping TouchWiz before long.

It's really not a big deal. You are talking about a carrier specific version of the device, it's not like they are putting this on the unlocked phone.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

kalibar posted:

Google Apps being separate isn't a feature, I believe it's because CM doesn't meet the requirements in the license. Also, there's a huge difference between a few carrier branded apps and TouchWiz, way too big to claim it's a slippery slope.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Regarding the two Verizon apps (which can both be 'disabled' through ICS, so stop freaking out about it):

• My Verizon is pretty important for a lot of users, and I can see Verizon getting a lot of complaints from 'normal' people who might use the Galaxy Nexus, especially if they're switching over from another lower-grade phone. It tracks your data usage, texting usage, and your remaining plan minutes. You can also pay your VZW bill, etc., right from the device with it. Personally, I would have been surprised if it wasn't built-in to the device.

• Backup Assistant only has one purpose, to transfer your contacts between Verizon devices. Use it once, and you're done with it. If you're switching over from a feature phone or a Blackberry (it's not available on the VZW iPhone), this can save you a lot of trouble... but after that, it's not really too useful.

No matter what your thoughts on these two apps, telling Verizon to 'just put them in the Market' doesn't really work because if people are pickup up the Galaxy Nexus as their first smartphone, they won't know how to get them back.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Aatrek posted:

Regarding the two Verizon apps (which can both be 'disabled' through ICS, so stop freaking out about it):

• My Verizon is pretty important for a lot of users, and I can see Verizon getting a lot of complaints from 'normal' people who might use the Galaxy Nexus, especially if they're switching over from another lower-grade phone. It tracks your data usage, texting usage, and your remaining plan minutes. You can also pay your VZW bill, etc., right from the device with it. Personally, I would have been surprised if it wasn't built-in to the device.

• Backup Assistant only has one purpose, to transfer your contacts between Verizon devices. Use it once, and you're done with it. If you're switching over from a feature phone or a Blackberry (it's not available on the VZW iPhone), this can save you a lot of trouble... but after that, it's not really too useful.

No matter what your thoughts on these two apps, telling Verizon to 'just put them in the Market' doesn't really work because if people are pickup up the Galaxy Nexus as their first smartphone, they won't know how to get them back.

Pretty accurate. My Verizon, and similar apps on other carriers, should be required so that users have the easiest time possible tracking their data use. That's even becoming more of an issue so telling users that go over that they should have downloaded an extra app would be a problem. It really isn't bloatware so much as it's an extension of Settings, just for dealing with your carrier. Would you call the Calender app bloatware?

Backup Assistant can be annoying but, again, it's a basic carrier feature. Verizon has advertised the fact that you can transfer contacts for years and it is a decent feature for anyone coming from a non-Android phone. Why isn't this on T-Mobile or AT&T? Because with GSM carriers you can save your address book to the SIM card, so when you pop it in your new phone to activate it your address book would have carried over too. Verizon (aside from 4G) can't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Codiusprime posted:

Beats audio sounds like a joke. Saw a Rezound commercial, nothing about the HD screen or the quick LTE, nope, it was all Beats.

It turns the bass so high that it actually distorts the music and lowers the quality.

• Locked thread