Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I've already played Dark Spire and Etrian Odyssey, but those are good as well.

What about something in the vein of the Dungeon Master/Lands of Lore games? Anything modern along those lines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

softcorps posted:

Hope that was more useful and less ramble.

Exactly what I wanted to know, thanks for your help. :)

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

iastudent posted:

I've already played Dark Spire and Etrian Odyssey, but those are good as well.

What about something in the vein of the Dungeon Master/Lands of Lore games? Anything modern along those lines?

Turn-based/grid movement:
- [DS] Etrian Odyssey series (best of the modern crop)
- [DS] The Dark Spire
- [PSP] Class of Heroes series (only the first game was localized)
- [DS] SMT: Strange Journey
- [PS3] Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls

Real-time/free movement:
- [DS] Orcs & Elves
- [DS] Fighting Fantasy: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (liked this better than O&E)

There isn't much to choose from. Japan has a ton of them, but they rarely get localized. :(

Couple of the Japan only ones I remember reading about :
- [PSP/PS3] The rest of the Class of Heroes series
- [PS2/PSP/PS3] Wizardry series
- [DS] 7th Dragon / [PSP] 7th Dragon 2020
- [360] Students of the Round
- [360] Labyrinth Cross Blood Reloaded

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

iastudent posted:

What's my best bet these days for a grid-based first person dungeon crawler? I don't think I can hold out until Legend of Grimrock comes out next year. :ohdear:

Frayed Knights is Wiz 8-style free move, but it's very much a (satirical) first-person dungeon crawler. It's a bit rough around the edges, though.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

There's one I'm trying to think of that came out on PC a while ago, maybe about 10 years or so. First-person, single member party I believe.

E: Think it was a 2 game series as well.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Nov 29, 2011

ninjaturtle
May 21, 2004

Best Posting '09

ninjaturtle posted:

I can't find a copy of Donald gently caress anywhere

AKA if anyone can get a hold of it please send to me :)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just got Jade Empire, and despite it being rather short and full of Bioware cliches, I had plenty of fun with it. Honestly, this was the action-packed, fast-paced RPG I expected DA2 to be, and it bums me out something awful that JE didn't get a sequel while Dragon Age 3 is probably still on the cards.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

CommissarMega posted:

Just got Jade Empire, and despite it being rather short and full of Bioware cliches, I had plenty of fun with it. Honestly, this was the action-packed, fast-paced RPG I expected DA2 to be, and it bums me out something awful that JE didn't get a sequel while Dragon Age 3 is probably still on the cards.

Jade Empire has one of my favorite video game moments, When your mentor turns on you.

I really enjoyed it overall, and agree. I DO wish that the speech options actually did stuff, though, and focusing on a few skills was leaps and bounds better than branching out a bit. This is especially annoying when some abilities that you may wish to level are found later in the game.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Gyoru posted:

- [360] Students of the Round
- [360] Labyrinth Cross Blood Reloaded

I would more recommend this company's other games, the Generation Xth series, as they actually have stories and generally get better reviews than either of the 360 ones. The series is only available on the PC though, and can be a bit pricey.

Also, America got Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land for PS2, which I think is one of the best from out of the Japanese Wizardry games. It has full 3D environments and battles and manages to look and feel way better than the PSN Wizardry.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 30, 2011

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ninjaturtle posted:

AKA if anyone can get a hold of it please send to me :)

I've been looking for it too, but apparently the author asked for people to stop distributing it or something. Maybe cause of a C&D? Had no luck myself so if someone finds it send it this way too!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CCKeane posted:

Jade Empire has one of my favorite video game moments, When your mentor turns on you.

Oh poo poo yes. I bought JE looking for a typical Bioware romp, and this moment literally made me go "What the gently caress?!".

EDIT: Are there any good SRPGs for the PC that isn't Jagged Alliance or Silent Storm?

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

CommissarMega posted:

EDIT: Are there any good SRPGs for the PC that isn't Jagged Alliance or Silent Storm?

How about King's Bounty?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

How about King's Bounty?

Played both that and the expansion, unfortunately.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Man, I wish more games had been made with systems like Silent Storm's besides that lovely Night Watch game. Preferably ones without Panzerkleins.

Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Which of the Gothic games are recommended if you had to pick one? I've been wanting a new RPG to play and I've heard good things about the series.

Lord Solitare fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 2, 2011

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The first one. I liked 2 as well but it picks up right where 1 left off and its not really any more polished or improved or anything. I wouldn't bother with 3 and 4.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
2 is actually a shitload more polished than 1 and I recommend starting there.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k
Risen is basically Gothic in all but name, too, and is worth a look once you've played through 1 and/or 2.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Volitaire posted:

The first one. I liked 2 as well but it picks up right where 1 left off and its not really any more polished or improved or anything. I wouldn't bother with 3 and 4.
1 is basically really rough around the edges and 2 fixes a number of things up. Perhaps the core of the game remains unpolished in comparison to similar games, but that's because of many of Gothic's design decisions to do anyway! [edit]Now that I think about this, I realize I played 2 with the fan patches (linked in the LP), so maybe they were more similar at the time of their releases.

Still I'd probably start with 1 since 2 is a direct continuation of 1. You can summarize 1 pretty easily though if you want to just start with 2. Just read the first page of the Gothic II LP.

http://lparchive.org/Gothic-II/

Alternatively just read the Gothic I LP on the same archive.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 2, 2011

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent
Gamestop listing a US Xenoblade release for april :neckbeard:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Shhiiiiiiiiiit yes. That better not be a misprint, but why so late? I mean, what do they need to do, get rid of all the other languages?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Wait, Oregon Trail? For how much? Also slightly saddened Rhythm Heaven is still kinda far away.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

They might be redubbing the European VO with American VO. That would probably mean no more "What a bunch of jokers" / "Reyn time" :(

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Gyoru posted:

They might be redubbing the European VO with American VO. That would probably mean no more "What a bunch of jokers" / "Reyn time" :(

Reyn becomes ahnold, shulk becomes that lead character from transformers, fiora becomes giddy anime girl with too high pitched of a voice, jennifer hale voices sharla, liam o'brian voices alvis, etc

:suicide:

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

So many conflicting emotions right now, I dunno if I should be happy or annoyed with them.

I'll probably buy it again. Begrudgingly.

e: and yeah I raised an eyebrow at $50 Oregon Trail game.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Reyn becomes ahnold

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

If I had a million dollars I'd buy 20,000 copies :v:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

The Black Stones posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

"I vill becum Shoolk's shield"
"Vat a bonch of joe-kers"

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I won't believe it until the game is in my hands.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Er, do Gamestop release date schedules mean anything though? I can't think of a specific example but I feel like we've all been mislead by this kind of thing before.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Disregard. Missed a page.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent

HondaCivet posted:

Er, do Gamestop release date schedules mean anything though? I can't think of a specific example but I feel like we've all been mislead by this kind of thing before.

no, but NOA is dropping Xenoblade images on their facebook page thing http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.197809840303477.48991.119240841493711&type=1
so that must count for something.

the whole Gamestop exclusivity thing is kinda strange but I imagine its just Gamestop capitalizing on NOAs fear of a widespread release for the game failing.

I still have the sinking feeling that the whole thing will blow up anyway. NOA wont promote it, everyone who cares will have already imported it and the title wont sell in the US. NOA will say "I told you so" etc and so forth and everyone will lose...

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

TheOriginalEd posted:

no, but NOA is dropping Xenoblade images on their facebook page thing http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.197809840303477.48991.119240841493711&type=1
so that must count for something.

They've confirmed the release on their twitter as well so it is definitely happening. I'm not sure why they are making it gamestop exclusive though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

evilalien posted:

They've confirmed the release on their twitter as well so it is definitely happening. I'm not sure why they are making it gamestop exclusive though.

It might just mean a bundle pack or something that's only sold in GameStop.

Edit: Unless I have missed something that mentions explicitely that the game is only going to be sold in GS.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

TheOriginalEd posted:

I still have the sinking feeling that the whole thing will blow up anyway. NOA wont promote it, everyone who cares will have already imported it and the title wont sell in the US. NOA will say "I told you so" etc and so forth and everyone will lose...

Yeah, I don't see anything else happening here. Releasing it in April is so loving far away that the fervor for it will be long dead too. A beautiful self fulfilling prophecy.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's exclusive to GS because it's getting a relatively small print run. It's coming in April because they really weren't gonna release it in NA but after seeing all the fan requests and the reviews it got overseas someone recently decided to bring it over. It's not getting a new translation/dub, it'll pretty much be the NOE localisation on a NTSC disc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wendell posted:

Yeah, I don't see anything else happening here. Releasing it in April is so loving far away that the fervor for it will be long dead too. A beautiful self fulfilling prophecy.

There isn't really an answer here that isn't "release it the same time as the PAL one" to be honest. I said this in the Xenoblade thread, but releasing it any time this holiday season would have been a death sentence. There are other great and distinctive games which bombed simply because there was *so much poo poo* this holiday season. Even Nintendo had some pretty big punches in the form of Zelda and Mario.

The same goes for early next year. You've got Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Mass Effect 3 overshadowing everything just for RPGs, let alone stuff like Soul Calibur or whatever. Xenoblade is almost certainly a better game then FFXIII-2 but the brand recognition is completely skewed in the latter's favor. If you don't want the game to just get ignored, you've got to release it at a time frame when its potential audience is likely looking for something to do.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

you've got to release it at a time frame when its potential audience is likely looking for something to do.

Yeah like, back in august with the PAL version.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah like, back in august with the PAL version.

Yeah, well, it's pretty clear that Nintendo didn't actually think it had much interest at that point, and to be honest, it probably didn't. The word of mouth only really spread once the PAL version was out and everyone saw how good it was. It was probably a mistake on their part but they're trying to rectify it and I don't think anyone could have guessed that Xenoblade was be as positively received as it was.

Something similar happened with Demon's Souls if I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I hope to hell that NOA isn't planing (Xenoblade doing well enough given) to stymie the Other Raindrop games in time with NOE releaseing them (They get 'blade, we get Last Story).

Because that's just douchy, even by Nintendo standards.