Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Dickeye posted:

It turns the bass so high that it actually distorts the music and lowers the quality.
Based on the target market I think that's probably a feature and not a bug :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
The loving commercials are painful.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Dickeye posted:

It turns the bass so high that it actually distorts the music and lowers the quality.

Sadly there are people out there who only care about bass and about if a song has good bass. Some people will turn the treble down as far as they can in the car just so they can hear their sweet 15s pump out that bass. It sounds terrible, I can hear my ear drums vibrating when in some people's cars and it does weird things to the treble.

People actually enjoy doing this. And that's why people will pay 300 dollars for lovely headphones that sound like poo poo just because it has some rapsters name on it. Whereas I paid 80 bucks for some Sennheisers that sound amazing.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

WeaselWeaz posted:

Backup Assistant can be annoying but, again, it's a basic carrier feature. Verizon has advertised the fact that you can transfer contacts for years and it is a decent feature for anyone coming from a non-Android phone. Why isn't this on T-Mobile or AT&T? Because with GSM carriers you can save your address book to the SIM card, so when you pop it in your new phone to activate it your address book would have carried over too. Verizon (aside from 4G) can't do that.

Actually, AT&T has a version of Backup Assistant as well. SIM cards only hold about 250 contacts and don't support all of the fields that you can enter into a contact. It's preloaded on all of their feature phones and all new Android phones (and the gtab 8.9 I believe).

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The Verge has a few more shots of the LTE Nexus side by side with the GSM model.

Looks a touch thicker for sure, but they seem to have done a good job of rounding out the edges so it probably won't feel a whole lot thicker in your hand.

http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/3/2608642/galaxy-nexus-for-verizon-wireless-hands-on-photos-and-preview

Groveling Toast
Jun 2, 2008

ProjektorBoy posted:

Oddly enough, my Bionic is rock-solid on 3G like crazy. It refuses to drop signal. I don't live in heavy 4G coverage so I keep it turned off. Whenever I do enable 4G it feels like the radio is skittish as hell and drops it at the slightest hiccup.

There's an OTA coming soon that updates and/or fixes radio behavior. You might want to hold out for it to see if it gives you more stability.

I work in a 4G market but live in 3G only, so I hadn't disabled it. I did earlier today and haven't dropped data. I called Verizon yesterday and the rep didn't know anything about an OTA update :(

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

headshot24 posted:

I work in a 4G market but live in 3G only, so I hadn't disabled it. I did earlier today and haven't dropped data. I called Verizon yesterday and the rep didn't know anything about an OTA update :(

Trust me, there's an OTA coming. Though it's currently in "Soak Test" mode. It may still be a month until it officially gets rolled out to every Bionic. Bionics were released with system 5.7.886. The OTA is an update to 5.7.894.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Sadly there are people out there who only care about bass and about if a song has good bass. Some people will turn the treble down as far as they can in the car just so they can hear their sweet 15s pump out that bass. It sounds terrible, I can hear my ear drums vibrating when in some people's cars and it does weird things to the treble.

People actually enjoy doing this. And that's why people will pay 300 dollars for lovely headphones that sound like poo poo just because it has some rapsters name on it. Whereas I paid 80 bucks for some Sennheisers that sound amazing.

You are 10 years away from yelling at kids to slow down and get off your lawn

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

what the gently caress is a rapster

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

JerkyBunion posted:

what the gently caress is a rapster

It's a p2p music sharing program given to us by God to piss off Lars Ulrich.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
http://phandroid.com/2011/12/05/gal..._medium=twitter

12/9 or bust

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
My Vendors are saying the 15th.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
My uncle works for Verizon he says after Christmas.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I know a who walks the dog of a manager at an ATT store and he says never. Sorry guys, shut it down.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I haven't bought a phone myself in quite a while, does Verizon still make you pay the whole phone price and then get the crappy mail-in-rebate thing? Hoping to pick up the Galaxy Nexus and Im wondering how much I will need to pay to upgrade on the day I go to the store.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Verizon dropped the whole mail in rebate thing awhile ago on their upper end phones. You may find the occasional MIR for a lower tier device, but all the high end smart phones are instant rebate.

$299 appears to be the 2yr contract price on the Galaxy Nexus, not like that's much of a surprise at this point.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Great, thanks! Hoping to pick one up ASAP and I'm glad I dont have to throw down 600/700 bucks and wait for their crappy rebate.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
How does warranty work on Verizon? I have a Thunderbolt that I think has something internally preventing it from connecting well to LTE and it seeks 3G even though the settings are in CDMA/LTE mode.

If I had TEC I know that I could go in there no matter what and get a refurb phone, but what about the fact that I bought the Thunderbolt used? It was only launched this year so its still within warranty but how does that work exactly? Do I have to mail it off to HTC? If that's the case I'd rather pay the $7 to TEC it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Mark Larson posted:

How does warranty work on Verizon? I have a Thunderbolt that I think has something internally preventing it from connecting well to LTE and it seeks 3G even though the settings are in CDMA/LTE mode.

If I had TEC I know that I could go in there no matter what and get a refurb phone, but what about the fact that I bought the Thunderbolt used? It was only launched this year so its still within warranty but how does that work exactly? Do I have to mail it off to HTC? If that's the case I'd rather pay the $7 to TEC it.

I was under the impression the base 1 year warranty only applied to the original owner, so if you bought it used from someone off Craigslist or something and didn't put insurance on it when you activated it, then you're out of luck.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Mark Larson posted:

You don't have a warranty. If you bought it from an authorized seller you would have a 1 year warranty from HTC. Verizon fulfills most of the warranty service because most people buy direct from them, but I think if you bought from Amazon there's a chance you may have to contact them. I'm sure someone will correct me on that.

WeaselWeaz fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 6, 2011

Groveling Toast
Jun 2, 2008

How much data do you guys use? I'm up to 6gb this month, I thought I'd be getting throttled.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

headshot24 posted:

How much data do you guys use? I'm up to 6gb this month, I thought I'd be getting throttled.

... Under 500mb but I'm on wifi most of the day. How on earth?

I am halfway through my cycle and I have used 0.2GB. I guess I am wasting my unlimited.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 6, 2011

Groveling Toast
Jun 2, 2008

Absolutely no clue. Phone is the only internet I've got right now but I've never used more than 2 before this month.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

kitten smoothie posted:

I was under the impression the base 1 year warranty only applied to the original owner, so if you bought it used from someone off Craigslist or something and didn't put insurance on it when you activated it, then you're out of luck.

So I can't call and add the TEC on right now?

EDIT: Never mind, I called VZW and they added the TEC on my account. I'll see how it goes with the Thunderbolt but its invaluable for peace of mind.

Mark Larson fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 6, 2011

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

headshot24 posted:

I'm sitting at 8.1GB for the month (1 hour of Pandora in the morning and 1 hour of Netflix while running on the treadmill everyday). After they fix the radio issues on the Bionic, I plan on seeing how much 3g data I can use without being throttled.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

headshot24 posted:

The most I'd ever used was ~14gb in one month. No sign of being throttled even though. I was using upwards of 8 consistently for a couple months before that too.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
My Omnia bit the dust last year and I'm stuck using my six-year-old VX-9900, so I want to buy a Galaxy Nexus later this month. With my Omnia, I had a $30 unlimited data plan, but I know those changed sometime in July. I also dropped my data plan when switching back to the 9900, so there isn't any chance of me being grandfathered in (that, and I'm pretty sure VZW makes you pick up the "unlimited" 4g plan when buying 4g phones anyway) either. I can't find info on data caps anywhere. Is Verizon's $30 4g plan really only 5 GB? I could go through that in a week without even trying.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Bloodplay it again posted:

Is Verizon's $30 4g plan really only 5 GB? I could go through that in a week without even trying.

4GB. :)

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/explore/?page=data

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Pretty sure their 30 dollar plan is 2 gigs, though right now it's 4. I could be mistaken.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

duffmensch posted:

I'm sitting at 8.1GB for the month (1 hour of Pandora in the morning and 1 hour of Netflix while running on the treadmill everyday). After they fix the radio issues on the Bionic, I plan on seeing how much 3g data I can use without being throttled.

Man am I glad I live in an area where practically every business has wifi including my gym and laundromat.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I just called the local downtown Seattle Verizon store to inquire about the "holiday exchange" period. I specifically asked if a new customer (i.e. me...potentially) has over 14 days to exchange a new phone for a different one. She said new lines are still limited to 14-days and only upgrades fall under the holiday flexibility for an exchange.

I was planning on getting a RAZR now and exchanging it for a GNEX (to guarantee double-data). Based on what she told me I am not confident I will have the ability to purchase a GNEX in the next 14 days, so I'm out.

Why limit it to existing customers?? Or did I get a line of BS read to me?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So I'm sick of tethering from my iPhone to try and work, as when something is broke every time a higher up calls me I am back at square one from being booted out from everything. I'm looking at picking up a Galaxy Nexus so then I can tether 4G and work and talk at the same time.

That said, my iPhone has unlimited data, will I get to keep that going to 4G?

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
What's the best dumbphone? My grandfather is in the market for something to replace his RAZR since it's battery is really on it's way out at this point. He doesn't text or anything, all he want's is some sort of camera phone on the thing and simplicity (so full keyboards and touchscreens are a no).

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

flyboi posted:

So I'm sick of tethering from my iPhone to try and work, as when something is broke every time a higher up calls me I am back at square one from being booted out from everything. I'm looking at picking up a Galaxy Nexus so then I can tether 4G and work and talk at the same time.

That said, my iPhone has unlimited data, will I get to keep that going to 4G?

Yes, your unlimited data will stick.

If you're paying for tethering on the iPhone, the tethering plan is different for the 4G phones if you have a grandfathered unlimited data plan. It's $30 and you get unlimited tethering, rather than $20 for 2GB. The online account manager is unavailable for me right now to double check this for myself but I could have sworn that if you take any of the other tethering plans on offer, you will get a cap along with it and will lose your unlimited data.

If you're not paying for tethering right now and just using a jailbroken phone, you certainly can always root the Nexus and continue as you were I suppose.

On that note, has there been any indication that Verizon is going to require a tethering plan for the hotspot feature in ICS?

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 6, 2011

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

On that note, has there been any indication that Verizon is going to require a tethering plan for the hotspot feature in ICS?

Of course they will.

Endor
Aug 15, 2001

Evil Vin posted:

What's the best dumbphone? My grandfather is in the market for something to replace his RAZR since it's battery is really on it's way out at this point. He doesn't text or anything, all he want's is some sort of camera phone on the thing and simplicity (so full keyboards and touchscreens are a no).

If he likes his Razr I'd say he should just get a new battery or two and keep on trucking. If he's really set on getting a new phone I'd say just take him into a Verizon store and see which of the 3-4 phones in his desired category look the best to him. There's really not much to do in the way of "in-depth comparison shopping" in this area of dumbphones.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
In reference to my earlier comments: http://9to5google.com/2011/12/05/verizon-is-blocking-google-wallet-likely-because-of-isis-partnership/

Google has agreed to actually block Google Wallet from its official releases.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

kitten smoothie posted:

Yes, your unlimited data will stick.

If you're paying for tethering on the iPhone, the tethering plan is different for the 4G phones if you have a grandfathered unlimited data plan. It's $30 and you get unlimited tethering, rather than $20 for 2GB. The online account manager is unavailable for me right now to double check this for myself but I could have sworn that if you take any of the other tethering plans on offer, you will get a cap along with it and will lose your unlimited data.

If you're not paying for tethering right now and just using a jailbroken phone, you certainly can always root the Nexus and continue as you were I suppose.

Hrm. I am paying for tethering currently on my phone. Oh well, work will cover the difference for tethering.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

hotsauce posted:

I just called the local downtown Seattle Verizon store to inquire about the "holiday exchange" period. I specifically asked if a new customer (i.e. me...potentially) has over 14 days to exchange a new phone for a different one. She said new lines are still limited to 14-days and only upgrades fall under the holiday flexibility for an exchange.

I was planning on getting a RAZR now and exchanging it for a GNEX (to guarantee double-data). Based on what she told me I am not confident I will have the ability to purchase a GNEX in the next 14 days, so I'm out.

Why limit it to existing customers?? Or did I get a line of BS read to me?

I think she probably misunderstood what you were asking. What she was trying to convey to you was that you (and upgrade customers) would only have 14 days to RETURN the handset and cancel the plan (activation fee only returned if cancelled in the first 3 days) but the holiday exchange period will run through Jan 9th.

"You may return or exchange wireless devices and accessories purchased from Verizon Wireless within 14 days of purchase. A restocking fee of $35 ($70 for netbooks and tablets) applies to any return or exchange of a wireless device (excluding Hawaii).

This return and exchange policy does not apply to customers who have purchased a Prepaid Plan.

Purchases made between November 15 and December 28, 2011 may be returned or exchanged through January 15, 2012. All other provisions of Verizon Wireless’ Return & Exchange Policy continue to apply, including Restock Fee."

"You may terminate service for any reason within 14 days of activation. If you purchased a wireless device at a promotional price at the time of activation, you must return it within the device return period to avoid being assessed an Early Termination Fee of $175, or $350 if you purchased an Advanced Device. You will remain responsible for your Activation Fee unless you terminate service within three days of activation."

Emphasis mine
Source: Verizon Wireless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Bloodplay it again posted:

My Omnia bit the dust last year and I'm stuck using my six-year-old VX-9900, so I want to buy a Galaxy Nexus later this month. With my Omnia, I had a $30 unlimited data plan, but I know those changed sometime in July. I also dropped my data plan when switching back to the 9900, so there isn't any chance of me being grandfathered in (that, and I'm pretty sure VZW makes you pick up the "unlimited" 4g plan when buying 4g phones anyway) either. I can't find info on data caps anywhere. Is Verizon's $30 4g plan really only 5 GB? I could go through that in a week without even trying.

You did the wrong thing and lost unlimited data. If it's been less than 14 days you may be able to pick up a smartphone and get unlimited data re-added, but that's applying the same logic they use for renewals. VZW doesn't make you get an unlimited 4G plan, the 4G data use counts towards any data cap you have. The data plants are at http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/explore/?page=data And yes, the minimum plan is 5gb for $30 but if you renew through the holiday season they'll double your data and you'll get 10gb.

• Locked thread