Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Viggen posted:

CPS got knocked out of position?

What would a crank/camshaft position sensor have to do with this?

What year Miata? I think all NAs and NBs have a dedicated reverse light switch, and I want to say some of the early NAs had weird issues with it / reverse gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

IOwnCalculus posted:

What would a crank/camshaft position sensor have to do with this?

What year Miata? I think all NAs and NBs have a dedicated reverse light switch, and I want to say some of the early NAs had weird issues with it / reverse gear.

I had a massive brainfart, I was in the middle of a conversation on FB about a broken brake light switch, and a guy who messed up his CPS. I found statements, but no docs about the NA switch. I miss having my access to MostData.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There's 2 wires IIRC that are related to the transmission electrically:

1. Neutral switch for idling
2. Reverse switch for backing up

My shot in the dark is that you plugged in the wire the wrong way, but that doesn't really make sense.

I also found your thread on mnet: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=439790

You didn't get an answer there because it wasn't about adding a sweet Nardi shift knob or adding brushed aluminium accents to your mint condition NA.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Phone posted:

You didn't get an answer there because it wasn't about adding a chrome Nardi shift knob or adding chrome accents or adding a chrome cool breeze scoop to your mint condition chrome NA.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Yeah, fiddle with the seemingly identical connectors on the trans. I could never remember which one went to which, you probably just have them swapped or something.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Stuff came in the mail :haw:

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

DreamOn13 posted:

Yeah, fiddle with the seemingly identical connectors on the trans. I could never remember which one went to which, you probably just have them swapped or something.
This is retarded but reasonable. We had something sort of like that happen on my friend's Talon when we had to pull the (auto) trans to replace the rear main seal. There's two pairs of plugs near each other that are completely identical in color and shape. They can also be easily interchanged, and the correct way to connect them is definitely not the way you would think. We had them plugged back together wrong and the car drove but stuck in limp home and threw weird trans codes.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

First Time Caller posted:

Stuff came in the mail :haw:

You seem to have gotten the wrong tires in the mail. You should go ask for your R-S3s.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Phone posted:

You seem to have gotten the wrong tires in the mail. You should go ask for your R-S3s.

I wish my new tires were as sticky as those, but what's a Canuck to do?

Edit: Two weeks ago.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Nov 30, 2011

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

The dunlops were cheap. :shrug:

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
looks awesome

headlights a bit foggy though :)

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I had a colleague tell me he's venting to atmosphere w/ his MSM. Is it possible to do this and get away with it on these engines?

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat

revmoo posted:

I had a colleague tell me he's venting to atmosphere w/ his MSM. Is it possible to do this and get away with it on these engines?

Not like it will destroy your motor but yes the air is already metered and venting to atmosphere is throwing off the ecu. Could lead to stumbling and other drivability issues.

e: also its certainly possible to do but you would need a standalone

streetlamp fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 1, 2011

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

First Time Caller posted:

The dunlops were cheap. :shrug:

What are you using to mount your front license plate?

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Probably something like this http://garagestar.com/license-plate-bracket-3/na-miata-license-plate-bracket/

My cars PO made a knockoff lowes version that is probably $5 worth of parts, not as pretty but it holds a plate and you cant see it anyway

streetlamp fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 2, 2011

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

How do you guys prefer to route wires through the firewall? Just poke a hole in the big harness grommet next to the brake cylinder?

These sick neonz aren't gonna light themselves.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
nah bro just run it around through the door opening.

The last time I had to run wires through a firewall I just drilled and grommet-ed a new hole, but that was on a camaro, not a miata, not that it should make much/any difference.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Grayham posted:

What are you using to mount your front license plate?

It's the GarageStar bracket the poster below you linked. It's easy enough to fab up your own with a couple big washers and some hardware but I like supporting the small enthusiast companies that make nice things.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Beach Bum posted:

Mother of God, it's like a 911 and a 280Z got together and had a baby. I think I like it!

Where do I get one?

Well, MEV is making a kit that makes the Miata look like this:

http://www.mevltd.co.uk/mevx5_specs.htm

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Coredump posted:

Well, MEV is making a kit that makes the Miata look like this:

http://www.mevltd.co.uk/mevx5_specs.htm

Too bad you lose your trunk. It's a decent approximation of a lotus though. Actually makes me think of a Fiero/Countach, except for this century.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Yeah I know. Makes me wonder if there would be some way to make just the glass pop up?

Edit: The other thing I don't like is how narrow they make the front hood opening.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 3, 2011

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
This will go great with my Miata Z3

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

The fake side vent ruins it 100%.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
the all-around horribleness ruins it for me

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Forgive my ignorance on this subject but I live in Texas. My miata is my first RWD car, and I've got S-Drives on it. I live in Dallas where it will get in the 30s-40s for a few months, and maybe 2-5 days of snow/ice on the road.

Are winter tires/all seasons a necessary item for my climate in winter?

How is the lightweight RWD car going to fare in winter?

I rode a motorcycle though winter last year, including a week of snow/slush on the roads, so I'm not as concerned with being uncomfortably cold as much as I am about destroying my first 'nice' car/getting myself hurt.

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

S-drives should handle the ~30 degree weather fine, but it probably won't do very well in slush. RWD and light weight aren't a problem at all as long as you are careful with the throttle, but I would be worried about s-drives on slush. A second set of tires seems like overkill for such a small "winter" season, so I'm not sure what I would do.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

blugu64 posted:

Forgive my ignorance on this subject but I live in Texas. My miata is my first RWD car, and I've got S-Drives on it. I live in Dallas where it will get in the 30s-40s for a few months, and maybe 2-5 days of snow/ice on the road.

How is the lightweight RWD car going to fare in winter?

I rode a motorcycle though winter last year, including a week of snow/slush on the roads, so I'm not as concerned with being uncomfortably cold as much as I am about destroying my first 'nice' car/getting myself hurt.

Wasn't the city was shut down for the most part? It was in Abilene, though I think we got a lot more ice than you guys.

I'm not going to waste money on snow tires. I think my Star Specs will do just fine. :laugh:

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

blugu64 posted:

I agree that a second set of tires is a bit overkill for you. Is there any way that you can bum rides off of someone on those occasional snow days?

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

revmoo posted:

Depends... I'm running a relocated MAF setup on my MSM and I could run VTA no problem if I wanted to.

Also, the MSM is faster than an NC. :P When you spend a couple hundred for an intake the MSM will blow it away on all fronts. My MSM with an intake only keeps up with 335's and E46 M3's up to 100.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Ah yes, the argument of "you only need to spend $X on $Car1 to be faster than $Car2".

e: and you're also full of poo poo

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

Phone posted:

Ah yes, the argument of "you only need to spend $X on $Car1 to be faster than $Car2".

e: and you're also full of poo poo

Spend the same amount on an NC and the same amount on an MSM, regardless of the fact that the MSM is cheaper to begin with. Which one is faster?

Have you ever been in an MSM? How about a modified MSM? If not then you're the one who seems to be talking out of your rear end.

Edit: You realize the stock MSM is faster than the stock NC too, right? Whoever said the NC has more HP was incorrect.

joe944 fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 5, 2011

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

joe944 posted:

Spend the same amount on an NC and the same amount on an MSM, regardless of the fact that the MSM is cheaper to begin with. Which one is faster?

Have you ever been in an MSM? How about a modified MSM? If not then you're the one who seems to be talking out of your rear end.

Edit: You realize the stock MSM is faster than the stock NC too, right? Whoever said the NC has more HP was incorrect.

Couldn't you pickup a non-MSM and turbo it for less and end up with more?

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Sockington posted:

Couldn't you pickup a non-MSM and turbo it for less and end up with more?

I'd say on average you can pick up a 99-00 NB and FMII turbo kit with a bigger radiator and clutch for about the same price as a MSM (maybe a thousand or two less depending on mileage or w/e). You'll end up making probably 20 more horsepower.

First Time Caller fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 5, 2011

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

Definitely. It depends on what you want.

Out of the box with the MSM you get a pretty decent package with a lot of room for improvements.

If you want >250 whp and plan on completely replacing the suspension and building a monster then building up an NB makes more sense. With the MSM you don't have to go through a lot of the work involved with putting on an aftermarket turbo. The stock intake is extremely restrictive and is where most of the easily found power is at once you turn up the boost up to 9-10psi.

I can keep up with some pretty quick cars up to 100, but after that I usually get walked hard. I prefer to stick to lower speeds and flinging the car around the twisties anyways.

That wasn't really relevant to the argument though. :P

joe944 fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 5, 2011

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

If you're spending something like 7k to add power to a miata you may as well just go the distance with an LS1 :v:

Or just get a motorcycle or something. Would probably have more fun.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

I have a 351 cleveland that was previously built up but has been sitting for a really long time. I also have a 944 with bent valves.

If only I had money to combine and rebuild the two...

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

Just replaced my transmission fluid on my '92 and holy jesus my transmission is worse than I thought. My drain plug was CAKED with metallic debris. Fortunately though I think this is the first time the fluid has been changed in almost 20 years.

Ford Motorcraft (bought here http://k-mansparts.com/items/focus/Motorcraft-MTX-75-IB5-transmission-fluid-XT-M5-QS-quart-xtm5qs-detail.htm) already seems to be working it's magic though. My 2nd gear grind is practically gone, though 3rd gear is being a bit more stubborn. I'm hoping replacing the turret oil and rebuilding my shifter will rectify it.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
Hoping for some emergency trouble shooting help.

My miata ran fine this morning. I started it up (30 degrees cooler, now in the 40s) tonight and it is barely idling and dieseling pretty bad. It will idle for about 1 second fine after coaxing it but makes no power and behaves exactly like a car with timing issues.

My first guess was a loose vacuum line, but I couldn't find/hear anything there.

My next guess would be a sensor, but which one? Is there an easy way to test the throttle position?

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

Tai-Pan posted:

Hoping for some emergency trouble shooting help.

My miata ran fine this morning. I started it up (30 degrees cooler, now in the 40s) tonight and it is barely idling and dieseling pretty bad. It will idle for about 1 second fine after coaxing it but makes no power and behaves exactly like a car with timing issues.

My first guess was a loose vacuum line, but I couldn't find/hear anything there.

My next guess would be a sensor, but which one? Is there an easy way to test the throttle position?

Idle air control valve?

Ninja edit: Never mind, it wouldn't affect anything above idle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Grayham posted:

Idle air control valve?

Ninja edit: Never mind, it wouldn't affect anything above idle.

Would still be worth checking. Any way to test?

I pulled the ECU, looked sterile so it isn't water in there, but we did have HUGE rains this morning, so water somewhere else is possible.

Pulled and cleaned the contacts on the TPS, no change.

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 6, 2011