Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Why would the 919 scare you? It's a loving Honda using one of their most proven motors. I'd pick that over either Kawasaki anyday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Tomorrow I am going to spend my life savings on a motorcycle. That's how I choose to live my life.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Also I've put my old bike up for sale on gumtree (Australian cragslist) and so far hav received nothing but "I am very interested in your Kawasaki, please email me the service history and your firm price." Like I'm going to openly tell you the loving firm price, a day after I posted it. At least it's better than "HELLO I AM INTERESTED IN YOUR ITEM."

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

freebooter posted:

Tomorrow I am going to spend my life savings on a motorcycle. That's how I choose to live my life.

AUS$200 and a slab of 4X won't get you very far mate.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

n8r posted:

Why would the 919 scare you? It's a loving Honda using one of their most proven motors. I'd pick that over either Kawasaki anyday.

It's not the motor exploding I'm worried about, just lots of little things that seem to add up from wear and tear on older bikes.

I heard back from the guy with the 919 he said the bike's been sitting for over a year. He said he changed the oil a few months ago but it's hard to believe someone would change the oil on a bike they hadn't ridden in a year. He doesn't know the last time any maintenance other than the supposed oil change has been done on it. He sounded a bit desperate to get rid of it, so I'm thinking maybe try to get him down to $2000.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 2, 2011

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Well, they are certainly rated highly if that's the sort of bike you want. I can see someone doing an oil change by the book if they just don't have the time to ride. As a cautious buyer, you'd always do an oil change and check fluids anyway, wouldn't you? In which case, if he hasn't been riding it it doesn't matter hugely whether the oil's been changed.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I know with carbed bikes there are issues with them sitting because it gunks stuff up. Do fuel injected bikes have any similar problems? I guess the gas needs to be dumped out either way though.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Fuel filters may get gunked up, I believe.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

How much of an idiot am I for considering a 1976 Yamaha XS500 that is complete and running for $500(Cdn)?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
If you do get it, be prepared to live up to your username.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

McTinkerson posted:

How much of an idiot am I for considering a 1976 Yamaha XS500 that is complete and running for $500(Cdn)?

You're ok as long as you understand you're getting a cheap older bike and it might need some love. As a "let's ride a bit and get our feet wet" it's probably fine, although in the long run you're probably gonna wanna trade it on something else unless it's really well maintained.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

McTinkerson posted:

If you're an electrical engineering genius, you aren't an idiot at all.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

You're ok as long as you understand you're getting a cheap older bike and it might need some love. As a "let's ride a bit and get our feet wet" it's probably fine, although in the long run you're probably gonna wanna trade it on something else unless it's really well maintained.

Adequate power, 8 valve engine, balance shaft and a front disc? What's not to like, other than the terrible mid-70s paint schemes?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Saga posted:

Adequate power, 8 valve engine, balance shaft and a front disc? What's not to like, other than the terrible mid-70s paint schemes?

Terrible mid 70s electronics, paired with neglect? ;)

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

Terrible mid 70s electronics, paired with neglect? ;)

Well yes, the electrics might be broken. But it's apparently a runner. As a bike, it's not a terrible option for a 40 year old shonker. I mean imagine what a British bike would be like (if any of them were still running).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Saga posted:

Well yes, the electrics might be broken. But it's apparently a runner. As a bike, it's not a terrible option for a 40 year old shonker. I mean imagine what a British bike would be like (if any of them were still running).

Just being a jerk, haha.

If it's a runner, it should be ok.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Saga posted:

AUS$200 and a slab of 4X won't get you very far mate.

http://instagr.am/p/XEHIr/

:smug:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

If it's a runner, it should be ok.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Even if it's not I've resurrected worse
(this: into this:

I'm cool building wiring harnesses from scratch, I need an excuse to buy a DTM crimper.

Going to look at it the next time 1800 rolls around. Anything particular I should be looking out for?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

McTinkerson posted:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Even if it's not I've resurrected worse
(this: into this:

I'm cool building wiring harnesses from scratch, I need an excuse to buy a DTM crimper.

Going to look at it the next time 1800 rolls around. Anything particular I should be looking out for?

If you can handle that you shouldn't have any problems with the bike...just make sure it starts and runs from cold, if it doesn't, bargain him down and buy it if it runs at all without knocking/etc.

Lord Fizzlebottom
May 3, 2005

I will show you wonderful, terrible things
I'm hoping to get a look at an 82 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk today. The price is right and the seller claims it needs little work (might have a leaky front fork seal and the speedo light isn't working, which could be a fuse). It's the type of 1st bike I'm looking for: cheap, older, and a good platform to learn motorcycle mechanics. At $800, it seems like a good price for something I can tinker with during the winter and make a relatively reliable older bike for the warmer months.

Anyone with experience with this bike (or similar), please chime in on what I might be getting myself into.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Lord Fizzlebottom posted:

I'm hoping to get a look at an 82 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk today. The price is right and the seller claims it needs little work (might have a leaky front fork seal and the speedo light isn't working, which could be a fuse). It's the type of 1st bike I'm looking for: cheap, older, and a good platform to learn motorcycle mechanics. At $800, it seems like a good price for something I can tinker with during the winter and make a relatively reliable older bike for the warmer months.

Anyone with experience with this bike (or similar), please chime in on what I might be getting myself into.

I had an 83 or 84 (can't remember) 650 Nighthawk and it was great.

PO had beat the hell out of it, my girlfriend drove it into a wall, and after fixing the front wheel and forks, it ran like a trooper for a long time.

Eventually had to let it go because I didn't want to open it up to replace gaskets (they were leaking oil out onto the engine.)

For $800, sounds like what you want.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I bought an '84 CB650 as my first bike a few months ago for $900. For me, it seems to be a really good first bike. Very manageable power, and definitely plenty more to use once you start to feel more comfortable. Also, I'm not sure about the '82, but mine has a fuel gauge, shaft drive, and a 6 speed with a gear indicator.

As far as I know there aren't any major issues, aside that the charging system is relatively weak, and doesn't charge until you get up above 2000 RPM. Also, as I'm sure the case is with a lot of bikes this age, it definitely needs some choke to start it up when cold. Chances are the carbs will have to be pulled and cleaned. Seafoam is your friend.

This site is a really good resource - http://nighthawk-forums.com/index.php . They've been a pretty big help for me. If your bike is in good shape, I'd say go for it, definitely.

Lord Fizzlebottom
May 3, 2005

... And then my car decided to stop working properly, so it looks like I'll have to wait and see how much this bullshit repair is going to cost before buying a bike. Awesome timing, car. Awesome timing.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

... And then my car decided to stop working properly, so it looks like I'll have to wait and see how much this bullshit repair is going to cost before buying a bike. Awesome timing, car. Awesome timing.

Sell the car and buy a bike. Best decision ever. :colbert:

Lord Fizzlebottom
May 3, 2005

Odette posted:

Sell the car and buy a bike. Best decision ever. :colbert:

Dude, I absolutely will sell the car and buy a bike + an older used car if I can actually make it all happen. In the meantime, I'll just keep looking after I pay whatever repair costs are coming my way.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

freebooter posted:

http://instagr.am/p/XEHIr/

:smug:

Sorry, AUS$200, a slab of 4x and a tender, inviting sheep.

Good choice though. If you're going to blow the lot on a bike, it may as well be a Bonnie.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Which one of you jerks bought the Futura before I got there on Saturday? It was there awaiting pickup when I stopped by, so I ogled it anyhow. Certainly is a pretty one.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Whelp, I'm now the owner of a running turd brown '76 XS500. $400 delivered to my door (which won't happen until this weekend - pics will then commence). Idles like poo poo (stupid carbs, shame converting to fuel injection is so difficult on a bike), however when held at 3k zero knocking from the engine - only has 7400km on it so that might be why.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

McTinkerson posted:

Whelp, I'm now the owner of a running turd brown '76 XS500. $400 delivered to my door (which won't happen until this weekend - pics will then commence). Idles like poo poo (stupid carbs, shame converting to fuel injection is so difficult on a bike), however when held at 3k zero knocking from the engine - only has 7400km on it so that might be why.

Sounds like a good buy!

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
So I'm looking at an 07 Ninjette for possible purchase (what the hell is it with me and parallel twins..), and there's one caveat that I need a bit of input on. The current owner said he was riding it one day when a rad hose popped off, and the bike barfed it's coolant everywhere, causing the bike to overheat of course. I assume that, like cars, bikes will shut off before any damage is done, but does that mean I can assume that the engine is fine?

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 6, 2011

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

AncientTV posted:

like cars, bikes will shut off before any damage is done, but does that mean I can assume that the engine is fine?

This is not true with cars or bikes.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

AncientTV posted:

I assume that, like cars, bikes will shut off before any damage is done, but does that mean I can assume that the engine is fine?

I've never heard of a car shutting down when it overheats

It really depends how hot it was and how long it was running without cooling and since you won't get a decent answer from the owner it's going to be a gamble as to whether somethings warped and slowly working towards breaking.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Rudager posted:

it's going to be a gamble as to whether somethings warped and slowly working towards breaking.

The owner is either telling you because he or she is hopelessly naive, or because he or she rode it 200 miles with no coolant in the engine and doesn't want to have an argument with you in 50 miles when something lets go.

Either way, you should walk away.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?
This guy has an "awesome motor bike" for sale. It's brown, apparently.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Shouting Melon posted:

This guy has an "awesome motor bike" for sale. It's brown, apparently.

Have you seen my bike?

Brown bike.

Hopkin brown bike.

etc.

Is that what Yamaha Oz are now calling a Virago 250? That would explain the ad completely.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
PS i'll find my brown bike

who took my bike

who found my bike

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

kylej posted:

PS i'll find my brown bike

who took my bike

who found my bike

Who rode my bike?

Hopkin brown bike.

Brrrrm! Brrrrm!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

AncientTV posted:

I assume that, like cars, bikes will shut off before any damage is done, but does that mean I can assume that the engine is fine?
Don't want to sound like an rear end, but how did you even get that idea in your head?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
For what it's worth, I had that idea in my head for a little while thanks to my first car; it was an '87 Grand Marquis and it would shut off when it overheated. Because it was seizing. Crank unturnable etc for a half hour or so each time.

Only years later did I understand how retarded lucky I was that the point where the pistons seized wasn't hot enough to weld them, and the starter was powerful enough to twist a hole in God. Drove it for another 3 years after that summer, trouble-free and too lucky to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
What the hell, how do modern vehicles not shut off when they overheat, aside from when they're ruining themselves? If a temperature gauge is already present, engineer it to send an abort code to the ECU when poo poo hits the fan.

I'm also retarded apparently, so there's probably a reason why this wouldn't be feasible.

:shobon: