Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ententod
Apr 17, 2011
It looks like Peer Steinbrück is basically channeling him at this point, so I'd risk voting for Steinbrück if he were to run for office. It's not like there are a lot of other great candidates to chose from, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hankor
May 7, 2009

The feast is not the most important meal of the day.
Breakfast is!
Schmidt is pretty much the most amazing person to ever go into politics even if I hate his wife with a passion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf7okjxpUJQ

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

hankor posted:

Schmidt is pretty much the most amazing person to ever go into politics even if I hate his wife with a passion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf7okjxpUJQ

I shudder to think what would happen if Merkel or Schröder should have to manage a situation like the fall of 1977.

Also, you hated his wife. Past tense.

Hip Flask
Dec 14, 2010

Zip Mask

az posted:

Interrupting Guttenberg chat to say that you shan't read the spiegel online or otherwise. Bad journalism is bad.

Could you explain this non-german goon what's so bad with dem Spiegel?

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Hip Flask posted:

Could you explain this non-german goon what's so bad with dem Spiegel?

"Der Spiegel" as a weekly print magazine is bearable. "Spiegel Online" is a bad excuse for people who feel themselves superior to people reading the "BILD" but still want their dosis of scandal. Spiegel Online is badly written, even more badly researched and has a strong spin to it - not necessarily to the left or to the right, but according to what will get them the most comments. I would classify them as a Troll-Blog disguising as a newspaper.

ZeitGeits
Jun 20, 2006
Too much time....

Einbauschrank posted:

[...] Spiegel Online [..] has a strong spin to it - not necessarily to the left or to the right, but according to what will get them the most comments. [...]

Exactly. If you have followed the coverage of the Euro crisis you might have noticed it's not exactly clear what SPON's opinion is on the whole debacle. That's because they pretty much have all of them, sometimes even on the same day. I don't think they try to be neutral, mind you. Instead they post as many populist pieces as they possibly can in order to garner the most attention.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

ZeitGeits posted:

Exactly. If you have followed the coverage of the Euro crisis you might have noticed it's not exactly clear what SPON's opinion is on the whole debacle. That's because they pretty much have all of them, sometimes even on the same day. I don't think they try to be neutral, mind you. Instead they post as many populist pieces as they possibly can in order to garner the most attention.

The ZEIT does much the same, but at least calls them Editorials and puts them side by side. The comment section on both sites are about equally bad, though.

Hip Flask
Dec 14, 2010

Zip Mask
so which german publications should i read?

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

Hip Flask posted:

Arguably the best news source for educated upstanding intellectuals is "Die Zeit". However just about every German news source with the exception of like Bild,FAZ or Süddeutsche Zeitung is still much better than what is available in North America.

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!

DerDestroyer posted:

Arguably the best news source for educated upstanding intellectuals is "Die Zeit". However just about every German news source with the exception of like Bild,FAZ or Süddeutsche Zeitung is still much better than what is available in North America.

How are the FAZ and the SZ anything but good newspapers? You might not agree with the editorials but besides that I can't think of anything bad about them.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

hankor posted:

How are the FAZ and the SZ anything but good newspapers? You might not agree with the editorials but besides that I can't think of anything bad about them.

You got me there. But yeah overall I've found German news services to be way way way better than anything I've seen in North America. Hell just the way they handle the typeface and the paper itself and how the text is clearly organized is very nice.

Distant Mist
Apr 22, 2008

Hip Flask posted:

For a quick overview of what's in the news here https://www.tagesschau.de is quite nice.

az
Dec 2, 2005

hankor posted:

The FAZ made my head spin the last time I read it with its smug conservative ideals and pseudo intellectual bullshit. Has been a long time since I read it however.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

DerDestroyer posted:

You got me there. But yeah overall I've found German news services to be way way way better than anything I've seen in North America. Hell just the way they handle the typeface and the paper itself and how the text is clearly organized is very nice.

"The grass is always greener on the other side". I haven't found a German paper that's comparable to the New York Times, but to each their own.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Back in the 90s I had the impression that "Der Spiegel" was seen as some sort of bible for current affairs among germans.

I'm using "bible" because there was almost an unquestioned reverence of its agenda setting and news prioritization. Is this still the case?

az
Dec 2, 2005

n/m

az fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 6, 2011

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Hip Flask posted:

Comedy option:

http://www.bildblog.de/

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

The ZEIT does much the same, but at least calls them Editorials and puts them side by side. The comment section on both sites are about equally bad, though.

The ZEIT left a rather unfortunate impression on me with their covering of the state debt crisis. They blatantly promote Euro Bonds, which is fine by me, if they do it on their spare time in their blogs. I want to be informed about matters that are not my expertise rather than to be manipulated into supporting the journalist's opinion.

Edit: Answer to Hip Flask

Hip Flask posted:

The FAZ offers to my opinion the best blend of all big papers, but I am biased as I live in the Rhein-Main area. Main exception: They have a noticeable Christian slant on embryonic use for research etc.

The Süddeutsche is more green-liberal. I don't read it because I don't live in the South and don't bother about news from Munich.

The ZEIT is petty much the same as the SZ in their green-liberal stance and is more or less the house paper of the SPD intellectual wing, Helmut Schmidt is a co-publisher and it shows.

The FAS (the sunday journal of the FAZ) is less filled with Weltschmerz than the ZEIT and makes for a more enjoyable read to my opinion.

You can pick according to your political taste from any of these newspaper without doing anything wrong.

For the more courageous:
If you want a decidedly left paper, I would recommend the "taz" if you feel a bit more hipster or the Frankfurter Rundschau if you prefer old-fashioned leftism. On the right fringe of the acceptable you might find the Junge Freiheit, which is full with nationalists but also the paper of choice for many eccentrics who are shunned by the mainstream media and not necessarily right-wing themselves.

Einbauschrank fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 6, 2011

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!

midnightclimax posted:

Back in the 90s I had the impression that "Der Spiegel" was seen as some sort of bible for current affairs among germans.

I'm using "bible" because there was almost an unquestioned reverence of its agenda setting and news prioritization. Is this still the case?

While it's probably not seen as the epitome of german journalism it's still pretty influential. They cover a wide range of topics in relatively good depth with pretty good exclusive sources. You'll hardly find a single waiting room that doesn't at least have a current Spiegel.

Their online version receives mixed appreciation, while they are pretty fast and cover anything that could even be remotely interesting to someone, the writing itself is of a much poorer quality and some of the editorials will make you cry. As with any form of news outlet the comment section and forum are full of assholes.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
General: Süddeutsche/Faz combo plus local paper
Economic: Wirtschaftswoche and ökonomenstimme
Net: Gulli
Comedy option: Fefe

I get ManagerMagazin for free and it is surprisingly passable, don't know too much about the online version but it seems alright.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

hankor posted:

While it's probably not seen as the epitome of german journalism it's still pretty influential. They cover a wide range of topics in relatively good depth with pretty good exclusive sources. You'll hardly find a single waiting room that doesn't at least have a current Spiegel.

Not waiting room material, but what about konkret? The few times I picked it up, I thought the topics were interesting and probably not featured in any of the bigger magazines. But that Gremliza dude is definitely one smug condescending bastard.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006
Basically the best paper is the paper from the region you live in :smug:.

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!
^^^I think the people that have to rely on the "Münsteraner Stadtanzeiger" or the "Rostocker Rundschau" will find it rather lacking in the international news section. :colbert:

midnightclimax posted:

Konkret

I've seen about 5 Konkret magazines in my life and have read two of them so I really can't comment on it. But it's existence shows what I like about german publications, they don't try to claim neutrality, usually they are upfront about their bias. While this can lead to an echo-chamber effect, every remotely sane world-view is represented in one or more major publications.

I think the only paper that claims to be completely unbiased is the "Bild". I find it rather interesting that the lower class seems to be the only group that is targeted in that way, on the other hand they also use nationalist and fringe-fascist claims and promotions so it's better not to think about it.

hankor fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 7, 2011

az
Dec 2, 2005

hankor posted:

^^^I think the people that have to rely on the "Münsteraner Stadtanzeiger" or the "Rostocker Rundschau" will find it rather lacking in the international news section. :colbert:

Hamburger Abendblatt is larger and not bad.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
There is no Münsteraner Stadtanzeiger =-(

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Titanic is the best magazine.

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009
There is no Rostocker Rundschau =-(

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!
That's what I get for making an offhand joke.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Did somebody say konkret?

Konkret Kongreß 1993, deluded poetry and hardcore MG-communist Karl Held railing against it. Amongst others, Sarah Wagenknecht on the panel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwItwS2bG2s part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GHARtSbGRw part 2

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

KingaSlipek posted:

There is no Rostocker Rundschau =-(

It would make for a nice alliteration title, though. And the Osteseezeitung or the Norddeutsche Neuste Nachrichten are not exactly known for their indepth reporting on international issues, either.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Serendipitaet posted:

Did somebody say konkret?

Konkret Kongreß 1993, deluded poetry and hardcore MG-communist Karl Held railing against it. Amongst others, Sarah Wagenknecht on the panel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwItwS2bG2s part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GHARtSbGRw part 2

Wow, what a lot of fun! Not sure it made me any smarter though. Must've been right after Solingen, otherwise I don't know what Held is referring to when he says "foreigners get burned alive every day". In short, it's just a bunch of primadonnas getting huffy at each other. Also, Sarah, why u no speak up?!

hankor
May 7, 2009

Breakfast is!

ArchangeI posted:

Norddeutsche Neuste Nachrichten

This is a thing of beauty. :allears:

E: Thinking about it, it would be perfect if it were "Neueste" so that is has 3 syllables in each word.

hankor fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 8, 2011

KingaSlipek
Jun 14, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

It would make for a nice alliteration title, though. And the Osteseezeitung or the Norddeutsche Neuste Nachrichten are not exactly known for their indepth reporting on international issues, either.

That's what I get for making an offhand joke.!

(Are you from there or what? Besides, NNN is already the perfect alliteration)

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

hankor posted:

E: Thinking about it, it would be perfect if it were "Neueste" so that is has 3 syllables in each word.

It is. Really it's just the Rostock edition of the more generically named Schweriner Volkszeitung, though.

anchorpunch
Mar 30, 2006
http://www.berliner-zeitung.de/home/10808950,10808950.html :is an alright daily newspaper. It may not, strictly speaking, be the best, but it is from Berlin and by that alone has the edge over provincial competition.

http://jungle-world.com/ : weekly leftist newspaper, varies in quality but is mostly worth reading and ideologically correct.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

midnightclimax posted:

Wow, what a lot of fun! Not sure it made me any smarter though. Must've been right after Solingen, otherwise I don't know what Held is referring to when he says "foreigners get burned alive every day". In short, it's just a bunch of primadonnas getting huffy at each other. Also, Sarah, why u no speak up?!

Some years back that video was the height of comedy for my left-leaning friends and me. You just don't get that kind of mad rage and indignation at any other kind of event than a leftist convention. But yes, there were quite a few incidents like Solingen from 1990 to 1993: Hoyerswerda, Mölln, Rostock-Lichtenhagen.

This blog post has some more of Held's speech and reading it makes it sound that much more reasonable: http://normalzustandrot.blogsport.de/2010/11/04/neue-ausschnitte-vom-konkret-kongress-held-vs-antideutsche-dichter/

His choice of words might be provocative, but he has a point in saying that these actions were not a result of Hitler but of the reality of a capitalist, democratic Germany.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Einbauschrank posted:

If you want a decidedly left paper, I would recommend the "taz" if you feel a bit more hipster

The 'taz' did this recently:

Caption Of The Year :swoon:

Oh and if you're living in Bavaria and are interested in politics and sports from there, you might want to pick up the 'Passauer Neue Presse' (pnp.de).
A very underrated paper in my opinion.
If you keep an eye open, you will see how often other papers quote the PNP, especially if it's related to the CSU or local politics.

az
Dec 2, 2005

ephex posted:

Hadn't seen that yet, bloody brilliant.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

ephex posted:

The 'taz' did this recently:

Yesss, this is beautiful. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hip Flask
Dec 14, 2010

Zip Mask
OK, now I've learned which newspapers to read.
Next challenge: Any good/interesting/funny/enlightening german podcasts? I've lived in Germany and know the language, so I'm not looking for any podcasts teaching German, which is all I've managed to find.
I guess I'm kinda looking for the German equivalent to WTF with Marc Maron, if something like that could exist.