Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
The minimum is now 5gb? When I did the amazon thing, they offered me 500mb or some low thing, a.d the next one up was 2gb for $30. Doubled to 4gb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Roundboy posted:

The minimum is now 5gb?
That seems to be a mistake. Check the link in his post.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Yeah, minimum is 500mb. But that's more a smartphone tax, since if you actually want to use it as a smartphone it isn't enough.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Well the 300mb (not 500) plan is perfect for many Blackberry users...

The argument is there it isn't a smartphone either, but alas.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Mighty Horse posted:

Well the 300mb (not 500) plan is perfect for many Blackberry users...

The argument is there it isn't a smartphone either, but alas.

More of a feature-phone, really. Featuring HTML5 browsing, NFC/Bluetooth/802.11n/Global Bands, touch screen, excellent call quality/speakerphone, a hardware-keyboard, voice commands/speech-to-text, oh, and the novel ability to last all weekend without re-charging. Plus it tethers to my tablet for free 3G.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That seems to be a mistake. Check the link in his post.

Ah I see it now. I was going to call if so.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Does Verizon typically add a "placeholder" phone to any extra lines on your account that you didn't get a phone for?

I opened a new line a few months ago; I lost my DroidX and went in to buy a Bionic. They started it on a new line on my account, then switched it over to my current line. I kept the extra line since I'm probably getting my children a basic phone for Christmas. I recently went to Verizon's website to look at the choices when I noticed that my account shows an LG phone on that extra line (obviously no minutes/data used on it at this point).

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Jonny Quest posted:

More of a feature-phone, really. Featuring HTML5 browsing, NFC/Bluetooth/802.11n/Global Bands, touch screen, excellent call quality/speakerphone, a hardware-keyboard, voice commands/speech-to-text, oh, and the novel ability to last all weekend without re-charging. Plus it tethers to my tablet for free 3G.

Well yeah but when you start watching youtube, Netflix and updating the weather on that thing you'll still be over 300MB.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Mark Larson posted:

Well yeah but when you start watching youtube, Netflix and updating the weather on that thing you'll still be over 300MB.

I use my iphone solely for work - email, txt and calls with occasional tethering. Verizon splits pc tethering from phone data and I use on average 1GB/month just for emails and occasional web site checking, only download apps from my pc and also use wifi when I'm at home/work.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Does Verizon typically add a "placeholder" phone to any extra lines on your account that you didn't get a phone for?

I opened a new line a few months ago; I lost my DroidX and went in to buy a Bionic. They started it on a new line on my account, then switched it over to my current line. I kept the extra line since I'm probably getting my children a basic phone for Christmas. I recently went to Verizon's website to look at the choices when I noticed that my account shows an LG phone on that extra line (obviously no minutes/data used on it at this point).

Usually they'll put an ESN/MEID from a phone you had before. Otherwise, some reps will use a DUMMY esn which in most cases is prohibited(for the rep to use) but nothing the customer will ever need to be alarmed about.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Just got the call from corporate.

Nexus launches Friday.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FYI, some people are getting early upgrades applied to their accounts.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/06/checked-your-verizon-account-lately-you-may-have-an-earlier-than-expected-upgrade-date/

I wonder if I hadn't switched from the Bionic to the Razr if they would have flagged my account for an early upgrade (it's mentioned in the article that someone who renewed back in Sept with a bionic has an early upgrade on 12/19.)

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
You mean they actually want people to buy the phone?! But what about the warehouses full of Galaxy Nexus phones that were being withheld cause they wanted people to buy the RAZR????

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Any issues right now with verizon's account provisioning system?

I'm getting hit with a "SIM CARD AUTHORIZATION ERROR" on my phone and can't connect to any data services. I know I'm not alone as I have a friend a few states away who has been on the phone with Customer Service all day over the same issue. We both have Razrs (so, therefore, have microSIMs).

Edit: I just toggled airplane mode and now I'm at least getting 3G.
Edit2: The error is back, but I'm retaining 3G data. Very odd.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 6, 2011

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bull3964 posted:

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/06/checked-your-verizon-account-lately-you-may-have-an-earlier-than-expected-upgrade-date/

I wonder if I hadn't switched from the Bionic to the Razr if they would have flagged my account for an early upgrade (it's mentioned in the article that someone who renewed back in Sept with a bionic has an early upgrade on 12/19.)

I have been checking my upgrade date every week or so through the My Verizon app, but nothing has changed. Now you have me thinking I need to start checking on the website, just in case :ohdear:

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:
Does Verizon allow you to use Visa gift cards for phone purchases?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I'm available for upgrade on 12/12/12 :downs:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

bull3964 posted:

Any issues right now with verizon's account provisioning system?

I'm getting hit with a "SIM CARD AUTHORIZATION ERROR" on my phone and can't connect to any data services. I know I'm not alone as I have a friend a few states away who has been on the phone with Customer Service all day over the same issue. We both have Razrs (so, therefore, have microSIMs).

Edit: I just toggled airplane mode and now I'm at least getting 3G.
Edit2: The error is back, but I'm retaining 3G data. Very odd.

I'm getting this same error. I am intending to go to the store today and hopefully just get a switch on my SIM card ( if at all possible.)

I've already had to get my SD card replaced. I'm hoping there isn't some crazy fix needed for this.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

JP Money posted:

I'm getting this same error. I am intending to go to the store today and hopefully just get a switch on my SIM card ( if at all possible.)

I've already had to get my SD card replaced. I'm hoping there isn't some crazy fix needed for this.

New SIM card apparently isn't going to resolve it. Talking with my friend who was communicating with CS is this is a nation wide problem. They managed to get 3G working so people would have data until it's resolved.

Since the Razrs are the only ones with microSIM cards on Verizon right now other than the galaxy Tab, I'm betting they did something that messed with their provisioning across the board.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

bull3964 posted:

New SIM card apparently isn't going to resolve it. Talking with my friend who was communicating with CS is this is a nation wide problem. They managed to get 3G working so people would have data until it's resolved.

Since the Razrs are the only ones with microSIM cards on Verizon right now other than the galaxy Tab, I'm betting they did something that messed with their provisioning across the board.

Any word on when a fix will be coming? I had a lot of trouble yesterday even getting 3G and just assumed it was a little outage or something but now today I randomly got the error after lunch and haven't had data since.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

JP Money posted:

Any word on when a fix will be coming? I had a lot of trouble yesterday even getting 3G and just assumed it was a little outage or something but now today I randomly got the error after lunch and haven't had data since.

Not that I've seen.

It seems to be solid on 3g for me right now, so I'm willing it wait it out for a bit.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Mighty Horse posted:

Just got the call from corporate.

Nexus launches Friday.
Some websites have indicated a Thursday afternoon soft launch. Is that going to be more of a try and get lucky deal?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Not that I've seen.

It seems to be solid on 3g for me right now, so I'm willing it wait it out for a bit.

My wife's razr had this happen (saw it in the notifications yesterday)

A reboot cleared it out and appears to be working fine on calls and sms

Edit: strike that just checked today and it's happening again, not sure what it actually is affecting since you can still do everything

Roundboy fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 7, 2011

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Between

Verizon Equipment Guide Confirms December 9th as Galaxy Nexus Launch Date

and

Galaxy Nexus To Drop Stateside December 9th

I think we're go for launch :dance:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

bull3964 posted:

Not eligible. I'd upgrade if they gave me subsidized pricing. Especially while I could still get a couple hundred for my Droid 3.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

waffle iron posted:

Some websites have indicated a Thursday afternoon soft launch. Is that going to be more of a try and get lucky deal?

Most stores will likely have them in stock on Thursday. You might be able to get a salesperson to sell you one.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Mighty Horse posted:

Most stores will likely have them in stock on Thursday. You might be able to get a salesperson to sell you one.

I just want a salesperson to sell me a case and screen protector for my 3-week old GNEX (GSM). They all play coy when I ask. I've seen others post photos of their accessory purchases, so I know they have them. Just won't sell to me. Annoying.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Mighty Horse posted:

I have a friend that works at the local corporate store. I sent him a message asking about it, but I haven't heard back yet.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Quick question: is there a maximum of 5 lines for a family plan?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Remember kids, the Droid RAZR launched at a highly discounted rate on Amazon--so don't go running off to the store too fast.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

waffle iron posted:

I have a friend that works at the local corporate store. I sent him a message asking about it, but I haven't heard back yet.
Just heard back from my friend. He says they got a demo unit yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised if it took his store a little longer than most considering where it's located compared to major shipping hubs.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

waffle iron posted:

Just heard back from my friend. He says they got a demo unit yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised if it took his store a little longer than most considering where it's located compared to major shipping hubs.

Checked with the store in downtown Seattle (6th) and the salesman said they got their shipment today.

They still would not sell me a case or screen protector for my GSM GNEX. Grr.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, so far there's just the "We are aware of the issue" as far as the Razr LTE outage.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/06/droid-razrs-receiving-sim-card-authorization-error-verizon-is-aware-of-the-issue/

Edit: And a reboot this time got me my LTE back........and no gone again. Who knows.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 7, 2011

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I'm going to ask a question I already know the answer to, but here goes.

Is there any humanly possible way to join Verizon with an unlimited data plan? Like if you know a regional director way?

I'm certain the answer is no, but thought I'd check anyway.

(happens to know people in Verizon but wanted to do a goon check before asking)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Matlock posted:

Remember kids, the Droid RAZR launched at a highly discounted rate on Amazon--so don't go running off to the store too fast.

Can you get the iPhone off of Amazon as well? That's the only thing holding me back from using them.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Can you get the iPhone off of Amazon as well? That's the only thing holding me back from using them.

Nope

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Can you get the iPhone off of Amazon as well?

No.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

hotsauce posted:

I'm going to ask a question I already know the answer to, but here goes.

Is there any humanly possible way to join Verizon with an unlimited data plan? Like if you know a regional director way?

I'm certain the answer is no, but thought I'd check anyway.

(happens to know people in Verizon but wanted to do a goon check before asking)

It's pretty simple, actually. Get an LTE smartphone with a data plan ($30/mo), then add Unlimited Hotspot for another $30 a month. Guard this knowledge well, many bothans died to bring it to you.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Magic Underwear posted:

It's pretty simple, actually. Get an LTE smartphone with a data plan ($30/mo), then add Unlimited Hotspot for another $30 a month. Guard this knowledge well, many bothans died to bring it to you.

So unlimited data will be $30/month? This seems too easy.

If I go Friday, get the GNEX as a new customer, sign up for 4 gigs for $30 (2gb doubled) plus the 450 voice and $30 tethering, can I then drop the tethering and keep ...well, unlimited?

Edit: as I read through the XDA thread (yeah, I know...teenage wasteland), it sounds like it's very hit or miss when you call Verizon and ask for the unlimited data hotspot feature.

Seems like a snowballs chance that it's even possible. I may try this on Friday and endure the 14 day trial to make it work but I'm not optimistic.

Wish me luck...

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

hotsauce posted:

So unlimited data will be $30/month? This seems too easy.

If I go Friday, get the GNEX as a new customer, sign up for 4 gigs for $30 (2gb doubled) plus the 450 voice and $30 tethering, can I then drop the tethering and keep ...well, unlimited?

I never said that. Officially speaking, you are not supposed to be able to keep the unlimited after you've removed the hotspot feature, but apparently it is happening. Just know that at any moment they may do an audit, run a script, or whatever, and put you back in your place. Hell, you could even lose double data when that happens, who knows.

• Locked thread