Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Magic Underwear posted:

I never said that. Officially speaking, you are not supposed to be able to keep the unlimited after you've removed the hotspot feature, but apparently it is happening. Just know that at any moment they may do an audit, run a script, or whatever, and put you back in your place. Hell, you could even lose double data when that happens, who knows.

Well, I'm running on the iPhone 2g AT&T unlimited data loophole successfully since 9 months ago, so I'll take my chances.

Even at $60 for unlimited data is better than $50 for 10 gigs (5*double). I just don't think I'll get a rep to dig through and get supervisor permission to add the defunct unlimited hotspot since it seems to be restricted only to those with unlimited grandfathered unlimited data to begin with. But it's an interesting concept I plan on looking into.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
http://www.androidcentral.com/veriz...ource=pulsenews

$799.99 off contract, way to make your non-Droid brand flagship phone prohibitively expensive :thumbsup:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ugh, I can't wait until Christmas to get this. Anyone know if I'm not the account owner if I can still go into a verizon store and upgrade my phone? If I can, I'll just have my dad pay my the 300 bucks or whatever.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Cojawfee posted:

Anyone know if I'm not the account owner if I can still go into a verizon store and upgrade my phone?
Sure, but you need to have the account owner add you as an "Account Manager" first. This can be done on the vzw.com website. You should also get the account owner to give you the account (bililng) password.

Your account manager status can be easily removed after the transaction.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

AppleCobbler posted:

$799.99 off contract, way to make your non-Droid brand flagship phone prohibitively expensive :thumbsup:

Third party stores are known to have ridiculous off-contract pricing. I believe the Palm Pre was $850 off-contract at Best Buy.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

AppleCobbler posted:

Yeah typical 3rd party markup. I'm still guessing that it's going to be $649 at a corporate store in line with the Razr and Rezound.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Droid-life reporting that they received 2 mails saying Friday isn't happening. gently caress.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/07/galaxy-nexus-no-longer-launching-on-december-9/

Anyway, I'm going to be getting the GNex whenever it drops. But I've currently got a Thunderbolt with a 4G SIM. My plan is to give my Thunderbolt to my dad, but can he use my SIM, or will he have to get a new one at the store?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If it gets delayed again, it will probably be due to the network issue that the Razr is having right now.

This is especially true if the Galaxy Nexus uses a microSIM like the razr. I know the GSM version uses a regular SIM, but I've seen at least one reference to microSIM for the LTE Galaxy Nexus.

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

I've got a strange issue. I just received a Motorola Razr on Verizon from my employer, and every time it boots it gives me a warning message "International Data Roaming." It prompts me to allow data access b/c it thinks I'm roaming (or it did until I selected to always enable data access).

I am in metro Atlanta, nowhere near another country. All my calls have the Roaming warning, and the notification area always says that I'm roaming.

Verizon sent me a new phone and a new SIM card, and the same thing still happens. At that point, the Tier 2 support person basically told me to just ignore it until it goes away, which I assume will be never.

I guess my main question, aside from "can this be fixed," is whether being stuck in Roaming is putting a greater drain on the battery.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Why are microSIMs a problem right now? I thought they were just regular SIMs, just smaller. Or is that not true?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Mark Larson posted:

Why are microSIMs a problem right now? I thought they were just regular SIMs, just smaller. Or is that not true?

not sure, but my wife and i got identical phones at the same time. her sim has the
problem' and mine doesnt. I am rooted though .

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mark Larson posted:

It may be simply a batch issue. All their current microSIMs came together with the Razr launch and something may have happened in the system related to them.

I think the only thing on Verizon to use a microSIM previously was the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and I doubt they sold many of them.

The thing is, if they determine they have to replace a ton of them, and the Galaxy Nexus uses the microSIM, they may not have enough microSIM inventory to launch the new phone.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

BoyBlunder posted:

Droid-life reporting that they received 2 mails saying Friday isn't happening. gently caress.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/07/galaxy-nexus-no-longer-launching-on-december-9/

Anyway, I'm going to be getting the GNex whenever it drops. But I've currently got a Thunderbolt with a 4G SIM. My plan is to give my Thunderbolt to my dad, but can he use my SIM, or will he have to get a new one at the store?

:suicide:

This waiting is killing me.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Got the email earlier, wasn't 100% sure if it was just indirects or company wide, so I didn't want to be the bad news guy.

They have been having sporadic problems with the SIM activation server and random batches of SIM cards lately, and these past few days the problem got worse.

I think they decided to push the launch back until they have the issues sorted out.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

He will need a new one. You CAN use a sim cutter and cut the fullsize down if you want to, for your nexus.

bull3964 posted:

If it gets delayed again, it will probably be due to the network issue that the Razr is having right now.

This is especially true if the Galaxy Nexus uses a microSIM like the razr. I know the GSM version uses a regular SIM, but I've seen at least one reference to microSIM for the LTE Galaxy Nexus.

Its definitely a MicroSim.

bull3964 posted:

It may be simply a batch issue. All their current microSIMs came together with the Razr launch and something may have happened in the system related to them.

I think the only thing on Verizon to use a microSIM previously was the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and I doubt they sold many of them.

The thing is, if they determine they have to replace a ton of them, and the Galaxy Nexus uses the microSIM, they may not have enough microSIM inventory to launch the new phone.

Stratosphere does as well, but thus far I have not seen any with issues. We had a weird issue with the Charge a few months back, a series of specific cards didn't like the phone and would go bad in a few minutes.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 7, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The big thing I don't know right now is whether I should go to a Verizon store or wait for this to shake out.

Right now I have voice and 3g in most places. I'm worried if I go have them swap out the SIM, I'll lose voice altogether if they are still having activation issues.

I would like Verizon to release an official statement on this problem and steps to take.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Now I am worried about the Droid 4, too. :ohdear:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Has anyone else in the greater DC region been having 4G problems the past few days? Friend has a 4G droid that won't talk 4G. He's paying for tethering too if it makes a difference.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
At this point with the constant GNex delays, I'm strongly considering getting a RAZR.

According to specs, the only differences are

Processor (slightly, 4330 OMAP in RAZR, and 4360 in Nexus)
Camera (8MP in RAZR, 5MP in Nexus)
Screen (Pentile in RAZR, Awesomeness in Nexus)

Oh and ICS. Am I stupid for wanting this?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The nexus is still pentile, it's just a higher resolution so it doesn't matter as much.

They run at the same clock speed so the different processor model actually means nothing. 4430 and 4460 are architecturally the same, they are just binned on clock speed.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
If timely and consistent updates are not important to you then go for it. That isn't to say the RAZR won't be updated or anything but it's a different game on the Nexus.

Saying "oh and ics" is kind of missing the point of the phone.

Imo your down playing the screen Bull, reviewers seemed kind of split on the RAZR's screen where as I've seen nothing but praise for the Nexus screen.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 7, 2011

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

At this point with the constant GNex delays, I'm strongly considering getting a RAZR.

I wouldn't rule out the Rezound either. Faster Processor than the both of them and a 720p screen.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

BoyBlunder posted:

I was tempted for the same reason; I really, really want to go dump this Thunderbolt in the trash where it belongs. But the lack of ICS and my speculation confirmed that it will be a while to get it are keeping me from doing the RAZR.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mighty Horse posted:

I wouldn't rule out the Rezound either. Faster Processor than the both of them and a 720p screen.

I thought the Rezound was a strong competitor, too, but it is hard to ignore the clunkiness and poor battery (not quite Thunderbolt bad, though, right?). I dunno, am I in the minority for probably liking the Rezound a little more than the RAZR? Still, waiting for the Nexus seems like the best bet unless your phone is broken now or you need it by some deadline in the next couple weeks.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

kitten smoothie posted:

I was tempted for the same reason; I really, really want to go dump this Thunderbolt in the trash where it belongs. But the lack of ICS and my speculation confirmed that it will be a while to get it are keeping me from doing the RAZR.

If it's any consolation I'm doing the exact same thing. With a G1.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kitten smoothie posted:

The thing is, people are jumping on speculation. They are creating their own "calculations" based on general guidelines that Moto published. Moto putting out a list saying such and such step will take 1-3 months and then suddenly running with headlines of "MOTO SAYS 6 MONTHS FOR ICS" by adding up all the maximum values (some of which may execute partially in parallel) is misleading at best.

I also really doubt that work for their top tier devices didn't start until the ICS source was published. Hell, a lot of the customizations that the Razr and Bionic have seem lifted directly out of ICS.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bull3964 posted:

The thing is, people are jumping on speculation. They are creating their own "calculations" based on general guidelines that Moto published. Moto putting out a list saying such and such step will take 1-3 months and then suddenly running with headlines of "MOTO SAYS 6 MONTHS FOR ICS" by adding up all the maximum values (some of which may execute partially in parallel) is misleading at best.

I also really doubt that work for their top tier devices didn't start until the ICS source was published. Hell, a lot of the customizations that the Razr and Bionic have seem lifted directly out of ICS.

Still, you don't want to forget "be happy with your Android device as is, updates are not guaranteed." They should be able to get ICS on their flagship devices relatively quickly, but counting on them to do so seems pretty hasty. This would be the first devices on some Blur/ICS skin, right? There could be lots of kinks to work out along the way.

68Bird
Sep 2, 2004
If stores really have this phone sitting on the shelves in back, I can't see Verizon not saying, "gently caress it, let's make some money" pretty soon. One of the mods on Android Central (I know) is saying it's not being held up for the LTE issue, so maybe Verizon was just kneejerking because somebody slipped up with the date. Hell, I just hope it's soon so I can replace my Incredible that's dying a slow death.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

bull3964 posted:

I also really doubt that work for their top tier devices didn't start until the ICS source was published.

lol at Motorola doing timely updates. They stopped doing that after Froyo came out for the OG Droid. They weren't even a launch partner so they got the code the same time as HTC and the other OEMs.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today

Mighty Horse posted:

Got the email earlier

This is bugging the crap out of me. Does VZW's management/marketing/service departments really think this is a good way to handle this device. Even if us forum posters are blowing the popularity of this phone out of proportion, we are still tech-savy early-adopters. You would think this is a demographic they would like to make happy. Why are they being so coy about the release of this phone? It is really angering some of their loyal customers. Why play dumb, why not just tell us what's up? Really makes no sense to me.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Ciabatta posted:

Still, you don't want to forget "be happy with your Android device as is, updates are not guaranteed." They should be able to get ICS on their flagship devices relatively quickly, but counting on them to do so seems pretty hasty. This would be the first devices on some Blur/ICS skin, right? There could be lots of kinks to work out along the way.

"Whatever Motorola is perfect...well, most of the time, sometimes they get it in my eye."

-Bull

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Codiusprime posted:

"Whatever Motorola is perfect...well, most of the time, sometimes they get it in my eye."

-Bull

I mean, this isn't Samsung we're talking about. For anyone with a U.S. SGS2, rest assured Sammy will have your ICS update to you within a month of the Galaxy Nexus' release.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mark Larson posted:

lol at Motorola doing timely updates.

They still do better than every single other OEM out there.

I agree with "buy as it is today" and there's no doubt it will lag a few months behind the galaxy nexus for ICS. I just take issue with people inventing headlines out of a few scraps of information with no real bearing on reality.

Don't forget that motorola already had access to Honeycomb due to the Xoom so they already had a leg up on dealing with the new stuff compared to other OEMs.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I just take issue with people inventing headlines out of a few scraps of information with no real bearing on reality.

Android blogs have this down to a science man, they pretty much thrive on doing this poo poo.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

bull3964 posted:

They still do better than every single other OEM out there.

No way Motorola does better than HTC.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mark Larson posted:

No way Motorola does better than HTC.

Tell that to incredible owners who are still struggling to install Gingerbread or to thunderbolt owners who finally got gingerbread a month ago on a phone that should have launched with gingerbread.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

bull3964 posted:

Tell that to incredible owners who are still struggling to install Gingerbread or to thunderbolt owners who finally got gingerbread a month ago on a phone that should have launched with gingerbread.

Motorola's track record is pretty bad as well. I've never owned a Moto device except a Defy, which was stuck on Froyo and a Droid which never got updated past Froyo either. I hear the Droid X update had issues and the X2 isn't all peaches and cream either. At least HTC isn't militant about their bootloaders, which is 95% the reason I have two HTCs on my desk right now, both running custom ROMs.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bull3964 posted:

That's the problem, though: all the OEMs suck. Getting a RAZR now and hoping for timely updates rather than waiting a couple weeks (maybe? please?) for a Nexus device is not a good plan unless there are some special circumstances. If you like the hardware much better or something, that is obviously relevant. But saying that any of the Verizon LTE phones even comes close to the kind of software support the Nexus will get isn't very reasonable. The RAZR will be better supported than the older Verizon phones, but again that isn't necessarily saying much.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mark Larson posted:

Motorola's track record is pretty bad as well. I've never owned a Moto device except a Defy, which was stuck on Froyo and a Droid which never got updated past Froyo either. I hear the Droid X update had issues and the X2 isn't all peaches and cream either. At least HTC isn't militant about their bootloaders, which is 95% the reason I have two HTCs on my desk right now, both running custom ROMs.

I suspect we could go tit for tat all day long (for example, how many times have Thunderbolt updates failed soak tests?) However, you do have to concede that up until a month or so ago, the only HTC device to have the latest a greatest Android Version on it was the Incredible 2 while Motorola had quite a few.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ModestMuse posted:

This is bugging the crap out of me. Does VZW's management/marketing/service departments really think this is a good way to handle this device. Even if us forum posters are blowing the popularity of this phone out of proportion, we are still tech-savy early-adopters. You would think this is a demographic they would like to make happy. Why are they being so coy about the release of this phone? It is really angering some of their loyal customers. Why play dumb, why not just tell us what's up? Really makes no sense to me.
Because they can? I mean, where else are you going to get a Nexus (realistically speaking)?

You can spend $750 importing one and switch to a GSM carrier, but nobody with any sense would do that if they were sitting on unlimited data on Verizon. And I would bet the loyal customers you speak of are all the ones holding the unlimited grandfathered data plan.

If you get impatient and buy a RAZR or Rezound instead they still get your money. If you return it and get a Nexus they still have you on a 2 year agreement.

Also, unless the phone is a complete trainwreck, I imagine this thread, as well as Droid Life et al, will turn into the Verizon Nexus Appreciation Station on release and the delay will be soon forgotten anyway.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 7, 2011

• Locked thread