Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ciabatta posted:

That's the problem, though: all the OEMs suck.

Honestly, when you get right down to it, Google hasn't done much better.

Don't forget that it took nearly 3 months for the Nexus One to get gingerbread after the Nexus S came out.

Anyways, the main point of this back and forth was due to the dumb headlines stating 6 months for the update based on moto posting a 4 phase timeline with only one phase really talking time frames. I really don't think 6 months is realistic and 3-4 (from the beginning of Dec) is more likely.

Also, on the subject of the OG Droid, Motorola actually pushed out a security OTA to it a few weeks ago. That ain't shabby for a phone over 2 years old.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

BoyBlunder posted:

At this point with the constant GNex delays, I'm strongly considering getting a RAZR.

According to specs, the only differences are

Processor (slightly, 4330 OMAP in RAZR, and 4360 in Nexus)
Camera (8MP in RAZR, 5MP in Nexus)
Screen (Pentile in RAZR, Awesomeness in Nexus)

Oh and ICS. Am I stupid for wanting this?

The biggest thing for me is NFC. I do a lot of marketing-related work and I know these things are going to take off next year. I do not want to be stuck with a non-NFC phone when my clients start asking for it.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Also, on the subject of the OG Droid, Motorola actually pushed out a security OTA to it a few weeks ago. That ain't shabby for a phone over 2 years old.
Reminder: Google, not Motorola, engineers the OS/updates for the OG Droid and the Xoom.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rastor posted:

Reminder: Google, not Motorola, engineers the OS/updates for the OG Droid and the Xoom.

That's not the case with the OG droid. The update comes from Motorola. Motorola was even recruiting people from their developer support forums to test the update.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Question for the VZ store employees, or anyone who knows off hand:

Can I go into the store, and charge a purchase to my account? Or do I need to pay right then and there?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bull3964 posted:

That's not the case with the OG droid. The update comes from Motorola. Motorola was even recruiting people from their developer support forums to test the update.
OG Droid and Xoom updates are engineered by Google and then Motorola signs off and sends out the announcement.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rastor posted:

OG Droid and Xoom updates are engineered by Google and then Motorola signs off and sends out the announcement.

You are the first I've heard say that Google is engineering the OG Droid updates. Don't take this like I'm calling you out, but do you have a source on this?

I know the Xoom updates are engineered by Google as motorola has stated as much, but every indication has been that Motorola does the software on the OG Droid.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Remember before too long Google and Motorola will be one and the same, assuming Google's bid to buy Motorola's mobile division hasn't been shot down yet.. It will definitely be interesting to see if they go back and release unlocked bootloaders etc or treat all old Motorola devices like Nexuses once that goes through.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
So uh, why does Verizon not want to sell the Galaxy Nexus?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

maduin posted:

So uh, why does Verizon not want to sell the Galaxy Nexus?

If I were to guess, its because Verizon's LTE network is unraveling as we speak.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/07/verizon-4g-lte-outage-happening-now/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

The Razr issues from last night are spreading.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

If I were to guess, its because Verizon's LTE network is unraveling as we speak.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/07/verizon-4g-lte-outage-happening-now/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

The Razr issues from last night are spreading.

Yep, I have been bouncing only between 3G and 1X for the last 3 hours or so. On a Thunderbolt, not on a Razr.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kitten smoothie posted:

Yep, I have been bouncing only between 3G and 1X for the last 3 hours or so. On a Thunderbolt, not on a Razr.

Huh, whaddya know, my Charge isn't getting consistent data either. It seemed fine forced to 3G only, I switched to LTE and couldn't get a signal, now back to 3G only and I can't get a signal anymore.

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

BoyBlunder posted:

Droid-life reporting that they received 2 mails saying Friday isn't happening. gently caress.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/07/galaxy-nexus-no-longer-launching-on-december-9/

:suicide:

I traded in my bionic for a razr the moment I heard "confirmation" of the 9th, fully intending to sell it (NIB!!! Must see!!!) to help buy a nexus off contract. I was a day away from my 90 day return window so I kinda had to anyway.

2 1/2 days phoneless would have been fine. Now it's looking like I'll have to dig out my og droid that resets randomly and use that for the next week just so I can keep the razr in its box pending sale.

Trent Lott in 08
Oct 16, 2003

Burn the village, rape & pillage.
On a Razr, been watching my data go from 4g to 3g to no service at all most of the morning. Hopefully I don't have to take the phone in for a sim swap out.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Trent Lott in 08 posted:

On a Razr, been watching my data go from 4g to 3g to no service at all most of the morning. Hopefully I don't have to take the phone in for a sim swap out.

There seems to be a nationwide LTE outrage going on right now.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
FWIW, my Thunderbolt has had nothing but 1X for going on 24hrs. Seems like the outage is pretty widespread.

You know what'll be awesome? They'll fix the 4G network, everyone will buy the GNex whenever the gently caress, and during activation, it'll go back down with all the new saturation.

:suicide:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Got hit with the outage literally as I was about to post that it hasn't affected me yet. Awesome.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
maybe I'm just lucky, but outside of chicago where I am, I've had no drops on 4g for the rezound.

however, when I asked someone if they experienced 4g problems on the razr? my post was http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=398127757 pretty loving confirmed now then, sounds like. Or at least maybe related.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 7, 2011

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!
It's not just the 4g folks suffering the outages. I've had sporadic data on my Incredible all day. A quick reboot seems to fix it for awhile, so it may just be my phone. I'm home from work and safely snuggled up in WiFi now so all is well.

I really hope the gnex release isn't postponed further. I'm practically doing a pee pee dance in fevered anticipation. Please don't make me hate you Verizon, you've been good to me so far.

Edit: I'm in the York, Harrisburg PA area if anybody cares.

Nathan Explosion fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 7, 2011

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only
I've been on 1x on my Bionic for about the last half hour. No 3G or LTE. I was afraid I was having delayed Bionic radio issues. Hopefully its just the outage.

Edit: Santa Cruz, CA.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Been rocking 4G all afternoon here on my Thunderbolt, I'm north of DC.

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

The 4G on my Xoom crapped out last night and I just figured I would have to take it in. Then today while I was running around my Thunderbolt (yuck) drops to 1X and just a little while ago started picking up 3G.

I hope they get their poo poo sorted out soon because I kind of need mobile web and I want my Nexus already.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah I still had 4G when I went to bed this morning. It wasn't till I woke up and saw this thread that I noticed I was back on 3G. Therefore it's this threads fault :colbert:

Which is worse, delaying the nexus or selling it and having nobody able to activate? At this point I just want the phone and can live on wifi only if I had to.

Edit: Thunderbolt outside of DC

Trent Lott in 08
Oct 16, 2003

Burn the village, rape & pillage.

JayKay posted:

There seems to be a nationwide LTE outrage going on right now.

I read somewhere that it might be an issue with the microsims. Your theory is vastly preferable.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Trent Lott in 08 posted:

I read somewhere that it might be an issue with the microsims. Your theory is vastly preferable.

Well, that theory stemmed from the fact that it was only affecting Razrs yesterday. Now that it's more widespread, who knows.

It certainly seems to be some sort of cascade failure though, getting worse over time.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!
My theory is that somebody at Verizon spilled champagne on a piece of equipment during an episode of unbridled jubilation caused by the impending release of the nexus.

It will be fixed within the hour and there will be much rejoicing this coming Friday.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Duh, I think it's pretty obvious that this is a manufactured outage so Verizon can push the Nexus back even further and sell more RAZRs and Rezounds :smug:

I'm onto you Verizon. Got my eyes on you.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
It's CLEARLY that they didn't include the impact smart hard-drives. Duh.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Wasn't there a similar outage a few months ago?

I'm curious what it is in the design of their network that could cause the whole thing to fail at once, nationwide.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Thoom posted:

Wasn't there a similar outage a few months ago?

I'm curious what it is in the design of their network that could cause the whole thing to fail at once, nationwide.

There was a major outage back in October. I remember that one as I was travelling and had no data whatsoever compared to now where I'm on 3G.

Someone correct me but it seems like this happens monthly and it's only for a short period 12-72 hours.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

There was also one like this in April where it was down for well over a day. I haven't had any issues myself since then.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Been without any connection all day in Chicago, but 3G just connected, so I guess they might have figured out at least a partial fix.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Codiusprime posted:

Duh, I think it's pretty obvious that this is a manufactured outage so Verizon can push the Nexus back even further and sell more RAZRs and Rezounds :smug:

I'm onto you Verizon. Got my eyes on you.

I'm pretty sure that Verizon's headquarters is a haunted castle and their CEO is one of those old timey badguys going "Mwhahahahahaah"

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Well, only my wifes phone was affected... until about an hour ago when my phone got tagged.

i did reboot and i no longer have that warning anymore. i also did lock myself into 3g mode for the moment

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

Roundboy posted:

Well, only my wifes phone was affected... until about an hour ago when my phone got tagged.

i did reboot and i no longer have that warning anymore. i also did lock myself into 3g mode for the moment

I'm locked into 3G but still have no data whatsoever. Also what "warning" are you talking about?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

NewcastleBrown posted:

I'm locked into 3G but still have no data whatsoever. Also what "warning" are you talking about?

The aim card warning. I lost all data there for a bit but it's back now

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I wouldn't mind so much if Verizon wouldn't be completely silent on the issue.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Trent Lott in 08 posted:

I think that theory was based on RAZRs getting an error message about their SIM not being compatible or something along those lines. This data outage hasn't caused my Charge to reject its SIM.

I think it's somewhat likely they had to take the whole nationwide network down to figure out what the hell happened with the RAZRs and get it to accept their SIMs. That seems like a drastic step but I'm not a network engineer.

It also makes perfect sense (as much as it sucks) to delay the Nexus if Verizon's network is in the process of making GBS threads itself. You don't want customers coming in to buy a new smartphone only to find the data doesn't work. Plus maybe the RAZR SIM issue is linked to the Nexus SIMs. I recall hearing the Verizon version uses the same micro-SIMs the RAZR uses.

axeil fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 7, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

JayKay posted:

I'm pretty sure that Verizon's headquarters is a haunted castle and their CEO is one of those old timey badguys going "Mwhahahahahaah"

Yea, my original theory was good but a bit simplistic. They might also be having a shortage of babies and virgins, I assume that's the fuel for the giant 4G engine.

Oh man I bet he was a long curly mustache too, that he twists.

If I ever meet the Eco of Verizon in person I bet I'm going to be super disappointed :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groveling Toast
Jun 2, 2008

Came here to bitch about my Bionic being on 1X in a 4G market. Atlanta is hosed too.

• Locked thread