Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Bobx66 posted:

Great I'm off to go post some headlines and whip up the internet into another frenzy brb.

Do you have a source?

"Prime is coming out on the 15th, unless it doesn't."

2 Of my 3 vendors are giving that as the new launch date.

Don't start camping out in front of a store or anything, but that looks like its the next date.

Being in the industry I suppose its a good thing people are excited about the stuff you need to deal with to make a living, but I am honestly starting to feel sad for humanity about how worked up people get over a little box of plastic and glass.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuddlefish
Nov 11, 2003

That was a game.

This is paintball.
I don't think anyone's really like, "Life = ruined!" but the back and forth is getting tiresome. Then again, maybe it's my own fault for following Droid Life. :(

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah, more the constant dicking around. "Here's this cool new thing! Its going to be available to you guys sometime soon!! Early November... err, surely by Black Friday... ok, really, last week of November... guaranteed Dec. 9th, internal documents prove it!! ... or not." It was (almost?) all rumors, but it still sucks.

Its sort of like the constant trade/player speculation and rumors in sports, only we actually know this thing will really happen, which makes it more annoying when it gets drawn out. Neither one should really matter too much, but people get excited and worked up anyways.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

hotsauce posted:

So unlimited data will be $30/month? This seems too easy.

If I go Friday, get the GNEX as a new customer, sign up for 4 gigs for $30 (2gb doubled) plus the 450 voice and $30 tethering, can I then drop the tethering and keep ...well, unlimited?

Edit: as I read through the XDA thread (yeah, I know...teenage wasteland), it sounds like it's very hit or miss when you call Verizon and ask for the unlimited data hotspot feature.

Seems like a snowballs chance that it's even possible. I may try this on Friday and endure the 14 day trial to make it work but I'm not optimistic.

Wish me luck...

The unlimited hotspot feature only populates as an option if you are grandfathered into the unlimited data plan. If you aren't, it doesn't even show up as a compatible or even selectable feature.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Ciabatta posted:

Yeah, more the constant dicking around. "Here's this cool new thing! Its going to be available to you guys sometime soon!! Early November... err, surely by Black Friday... ok, really, last week of November... guaranteed Dec. 9th, internal documents prove it!! ... or not." It was (almost?) all rumors, but it still sucks.

Its sort of like the constant trade/player speculation and rumors in sports, only we actually know this thing will really happen, which makes it more annoying when it gets drawn out. Neither one should really matter too much, but people get excited and worked up anyways.

Nexus is the Jarome Iginla trade rumor of the Android world.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

kstatix posted:

The unlimited hotspot feature only populates as an option if you are grandfathered into the unlimited data plan. If you aren't, it doesn't even show up as a compatible or even selectable feature.

Thanks. I'm out. Looks like I'm sticking with AT&T...

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Nexus is the Jarome Iginla trade rumor of the Android world.

I'm hoping it's more like the Carmelo Anthony to NY rumor. Because we know that actually happened.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Mighty Horse posted:

Being in the industry I suppose its a good thing people are excited about the stuff you need to deal with to make a living, but I am honestly starting to feel sad for humanity about how worked up people get over a little box of plastic and glass.

For me it's that I'm still on an OG Droid, and this thing will kernel panic about half the time I go to use Maps. As well as being ridiculously slow in general. With the Gnex on the horizon it doesn't seem worth it to reflash the rom now, but the constant not-really-delays are getting kind of aggravating.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

parasyte posted:

For me it's that I'm still on an OG Droid, and this thing will kernel panic about half the time I go to use Maps. As well as being ridiculously slow in general. With the Gnex on the horizon it doesn't seem worth it to reflash the rom now, but the constant not-really-delays are getting kind of aggravating.

I'm not champing at the bit for the GN but I'm definitely going to get one soon. I'm in the same boat with the OG Droid and while it has been a great phone apps are using more and more resources and sometimes I can't go more than about 10 minutes of use without eventually having launcher redraws or kernel panics if I'm using the gargantuan apps.

I have a similar experience with Maps... it is getting very close to unusable on my Droid because of the memory it takes up... For example, if I have GrooveIP running in the background and launch Maps, Maps will get killed as soon as I search for an address or something unless I exit GrooveIP first. This is a fresh install of CM 7.1 too. Happens every time.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
To add to the already pretty good deal (that Verizon has at their stores, too) Amazon has this:

quote:

For a limited time, buy a hotspot-ready smartphone from Verizon or Sprint and receive a $100 Amazon.com Gift Card on select devices. Phones from AT&T and T-Mobile do not qualify. Offer valid between midnight PDT November 11, 2011 through 11:59 p.m. PDT December 31, 2011, for new lines of service and upgrade customers. Gift card codes will be sent via e-mail within 60 days of purchase, one per customer. Hotspot feature must be activated at time of purchase to qualify.

Played a bit wit the Droid X2, but that's not 4g, so I might just settle with a Droid Bionic. I would go with an iPhone but having an extra 2gb is pretty nice on a 2gb plan, especially with 4G. I'm torn between Android and iOS.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Don't buy an X2, for the love of God just about any phone released after the X2 is a better choice.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Codiusprime posted:

Don't buy an X2, for the love of God just about any phone released after the X2 is a better choice.

Oh no I definitely wasn't thinking it, it was the first phone I played with and really liked it. BUT because it wasn't 4G I wouldn't be able to hop on the deal.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Lblitzer posted:

Oh no I definitely wasn't thinking it, it was the first phone I played with and really liked it. BUT because it wasn't 4G I wouldn't be able to hop on the deal.

X2 would be a good phone if the software on it wasn't poo poo.

Problem is: the software IS poo poo so :v:

May 1, 2008

ಠ_ಠ
Should I even bother calling my local store tomorrow and asking if the whole date pushed off thing was one big hoax? :smith:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Work decided to get me a Mifi instead.... and then the stupid speaker on my phone went out so only speakermode or headphones work. Verizon is charging me $15 to ship a phone next day and the closest Apple store is ~3 hours away. I feel a little bit owned :saddowns:

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

005060524 posted:

Should I even bother calling my local store tomorrow and asking if the whole date pushed off thing was one big hoax? :smith:

There's no harm in calling. That being said it sounds like the next possible date is 12/15.

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only
My Bionic just updated itself to 5.5.893, which I guess is supposed to fix the connectivity issues, among other things. It literally just happened, so I don't know if its done anything noticable.

I think I lost root though. Here's hoping the same method works with the update.

Edit: Well gently caress. Time to try and figure out if it can be re-rooted, as one-click doesn't work with the update...

NewcastleBrown fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 9, 2011

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

My friend was in a Verizon store and got to play around with the Galaxy Nexus but couldn't actually buy it (of course). They said that maybe on the 13th they could sell it but didn't really know for sure. The sales guy was getting his info from an Android news site so I guess Verizon won't even tell their own people what the gently caress is going on.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
It's just delayed enough to prevent amazon razr rentals. Puts it outside the 14 days right?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Roundboy posted:

It's just delayed enough to prevent amazon razr rentals. Puts it outside the 14 days right?

That and to avoid the double data promo.

:tinfoilhat:

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I have a friend who works at a corporate store who indicated the 12th, but I'm pretty sure he's working off rumors. I'm trying to see if I can preorder the loving thing this weekend.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

waffle iron posted:

I have a friend who works at a corporate store who indicated the 12th, but I'm pretty sure he's working off rumors. I'm trying to see if I can preorder the loving thing this weekend.

Just have a bud who works there (your friend) tag one for you launch day. If it sells that day nobody in the store should care. Its how im getting mine. Swing by at lunch and get it done.

Manos
Mar 1, 2004

Can you change up a single line plan to a family plan without issue? I need to jump off of tmobile because I get zero signal in my house, but I'm waiting on this retarded nexus to drop. At the same time I want to get my wife an iphone, are there going to be any issues with doing this one number at a time?

Another question, can you port a number in over whatever they assign you or do you have to port it initially? I was burned by att with that idiocy in the past.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Manos posted:

Can you change up a single line plan to a family plan without issue? I need to jump off of tmobile because I get zero signal in my house, but I'm waiting on this retarded nexus to drop. At the same time I want to get my wife an iphone, are there going to be any issues with doing this one number at a time?

Another question, can you port a number in over whatever they assign you or do you have to port it initially? I was burned by att with that idiocy in the past.

You can do both of what you are talking about.

When I jumped from Verizon to AT&T I first got a single line from VZW with whatever number they gave me, then ported over my primary number on top that and ported over the remaining lines.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Still no 4G for me here on my RAZR. This poo poo is a little ridiculous...

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
You should probably take it in as I think the 4G outage was declared over yesterday or Thursday.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Or, in the most basic of troubleshooting options, reboot your phone JP.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I generally assume that people have already tried that if they are on the forums, but yea, that should always be the first thing you try.

VermiciousKnid84
May 28, 2004
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
A troubling rumor that the Galaxy Nexus is delayed over a disagreement on Google Wallet: http://phandroid.com/2011/12/09/want-answers-for-verizon-galaxy-nexus-delay-apparently-is-has-everything-to-do-with-google-wallet/ .

If this is true, my my my, what a corporate gently caress-up between these companies. Makes me wonder why Google didn't just go with Sprint as the Nexus carrier, since they are cool with Google Wallet.

It pisses me off that I'm on a Moto Q (old HTC Hero broke, and sucked anyway) until two giant companies I'd like to pay can decide whether or not to bundle an app I will never loving use anyway.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Or, in the most basic of troubleshooting options, reboot your phone JP.

I've been cycling CDMA/LTE manually and through airplane mode and I rebooted this morning.

Maybe this next time will fix it... I hope.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
So...chances that GNex will stealth drop this weekend?

Sigh.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

BoyBlunder posted:

Sigh.

Latest leaked target date is 12/15 with a possible soft launch beforehand. I've also heard a new target window of 12/17-12/24.

Honestly, if the phone isn't out by Christmas, I'm giving up.

Edit: I wonder how much is left of the exclusivity agreement. People were guessing it was going to run out by start of 2012.

Edit edit: Apparently when a launch date is missed, it's pushed to the next Thursday.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 10, 2011

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

BoyBlunder posted:

Sigh.

100%

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

JayKay posted:

Edit edit: Apparently when a launch date is missed, it's pushed to the next Thursday.

As per corporate policy, or in the sense of "this is what all the rumormongers do"?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

right arm posted:

100%

Post your source!

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Penguissimo posted:

As per corporate policy, or in the sense of "this is what all the rumormongers do"?

Verizon usually launches phones on a Thursday with the recent exceptions of the Razr and Rezound. It's probably how everybody is pulling 12/15 out of their rear end.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

BoyBlunder posted:

Post your source!

I thought everyone has just been making this poo poo up, I didn't know people actually used "sources" for these things man!!

68Bird
Sep 2, 2004
In my fantasy world, we'd see a soft launch from Verizon tomorrow where stores could sell the stock they already have, and third party retailers could launch it however the hell they'd like to at that point. I've read a lot of reports saying Best Buy and Radioshack both have stock and are just waiting for the green light. Then Verizon can throw out the banners on Thursday and do a formal launch with the stock that surely will be filtering in over the course of the week.

Back in the real world, I'm starting to think I won't see this thing before Christmas.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Droid Life is saying Verizon told everyone to expect 12/15 as the release date

Whether that's bullshit or not is anyone's guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Dickeye posted:

Droid Life is saying Verizon told everyone to expect 12/15 as the release date

Whether that's bullshit or not is anyone's guess

Apparently some Best Buys are throwing out 12/11 also. But I'm guessing that's more of the whole flyers cover from Sunday-Saturday thing.

• Locked thread