Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

joe944 posted:

Also, the MSM is faster than an NC. :P When you spend a couple hundred for an intake the MSM will blow it away on all fronts. My MSM with an intake only keeps up with 335's and E46 M3's up to 100.
Do you have any good kill stories? Please tell us them, my NA is slow and I can't even humiliate minivans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I have heard, but never experienced, coil pack failure as a problem on these cars. Maybe that?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Take a look at your wires/coilpacks... or what is left of them.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Phone posted:

Take a look at your wires/coilpacks... or what is left of them.

Wires are less than 5k miles old. Coil packs tend to get wonky and then die right? This went from good to near-dead. There isn't a great way to test them either, is there?

Edit; had to stop working on it. The old lady next door yelled at me and it started snowing. gently caress.

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 6, 2011

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

destructo posted:

Do you have any good kill stories? Please tell us them, my NA is slow and I can't even humiliate minivans.

I haven't really raced too many cars because I'm cop paranoid. I'll try to get some go-pro videos against a friends e46 m3 and a stage 2 2010 wrx. When I was stock I raced an s2000 and we were dead even with me maybe even slightly pulling on him. They are supposed to be a tad bit faster stock for stock so maybe my car is a freak?

Since I've added the intake and cranked up the boost the only other 2 cars I've raced were a beat up looking last gen v8 camaro and the 335i. I was getting terrible boost cut at the top of 5th gear racing the camaro but still pulled on him. The 335i I raced from about 40-100. He started first and put about 1 car on me before I hit my power band; after that he didn't pull at all.

joe944 fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 6, 2011

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

joe944 posted:

I haven't really raced too many cars because I'm cop paranoid. I'll try to get some go-pro videos against a friends e46 m3 and a stage 2 2010 wrx. When I was stock I raced an s2000 and we were dead even with me maybe even slightly pulling on him. They are supposed to be a tad bit faster stock for stock so maybe my car is a freak?

Since I've added the intake and cranked up the boost the only other 2 cars I've raced were a beat up looking last gen v8 camaro and the 335i. I was getting terrible boost cut at the top of 5th gear racing the camaro but still pulled on him. The 335i I raced from about 40-100. He started first and put about 1 car on me before I hit my power band; after that he didn't pull at all.

You are so fast and furious it hurts. Keep on living 1/4 mile at a time. PS tell vin to call me, he left in the morning without leaving his number. I don't want to think I was just a booty call. :allears:

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

joe944 posted:

Siqq kill bro IMO probably better driving on your part after all it is a Miata :hf:

gently caress the hataz!!!

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

Suniikaa posted:

You are so fast and furious it hurts. Keep on living 1/4 mile at a time. PS tell vin to call me, he left in the morning without leaving his number. I don't want to think I was just a booty call. :allears:

Don't be mad that you can't beat an astrovan.

Edit: Also, it was pure coincidence that I was a senior in high school when the first fast & furious movie came out.. I may have made some sketchy decisions in the past but I'm pretty tame these days. In a years ownership of the car those are my only street competitions.

joe944 fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 6, 2011

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
street competitions

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

The Third Man posted:

street competitions

Ha

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
Less retard discussion, more fixing my problems.

Noticed when I started it tonight it ran fine at idle for about 1 minute, revving freely. Then, pretty suddenly, it started having the same low idle problem.

Does this give us any clues? I am guessing maybe the thermosensor? Is there any way to test this without removing the coil packs?

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Tai-Pan posted:

Less retard discussion, more fixing my problems.

Noticed when I started it tonight it ran fine at idle for about 1 minute, revving freely. Then, pretty suddenly, it started having the same low idle problem.

Does this give us any clues? I am guessing maybe the thermosensor? Is there any way to test this without removing the coil packs?

You can try jumping the ten and ground in the diagnostics connector to see if it straightens out. Would help you narrow it down to sensors or mechanical fault.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
Ever since I bought it, my 95's HVAC fan has seemed to barely put out any air. It's been a few years since I owned my '97 but I don't remember it being a problem with that car.

My biggest problem right now is that the fan doesn't put out enough air to defog the windshield. It will only defog a couple of inches from the vents. I can barely feel any air coming out of them.

There isn't much air that comes out of the eyeball vents either. It also doesn't matter if I switch between recirculate and fresh air.

Is there somewhere I can check that might be clogged?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Anyone heard of a review for the Flyin Miata complete intake kit for the MSM? They don't have dyno charts for it and I can't find anyone that's used it.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

You want to look for the mazda-speed forums. FM is probably the biggest miata vendor, there are loads of people with their parts there.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

joe944 posted:

You want to look for the mazda-speed forums. FM is probably the biggest miata vendor, there are loads of people with their parts there.

Eh. I went through all six pages of their reviews section and only found two people that mentioned the full intake kit. Neither post reviewed it in any way.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

The reviews section doesn't have most of the good info. It's scattered throughout the tech section mainly. I'd recommend a search. I believe I recall silvermiataracer posting a dyno with just an intake making 190whp.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Suniikaa posted:

You can try jumping the ten and ground in the diagnostics connector to see if it straightens out. Would help you narrow it down to sensors or mechanical fault.

Shorting TEN GND did not show any error codes nor did it seem to have an impact.
However, the car was idling much better today. This leads me to believe I have a transient/water related issue.

EDIT:
Arrggg drat it. Drove it and nothing has changed. I guess I did not let it get warm enough when I tested earlier.

I changed the plugs and wires again anyways. No difference.

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 8, 2011

dema
Aug 13, 2006

My wife is stealing my covered parking spot. Can I get a recommendation for a car cover? Mostly going to be in the shade, but will get some rain. Want something fairly light and compact so I can roll it up and toss it in my trunk.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Tai-Pan posted:

EDIT:
Arrggg drat it. Drove it and nothing has changed. I guess I did not let it get warm enough when I tested earlier.

I changed the plugs and wires again anyways. No difference.

Spent all last night pulling off the Coil and replacing the Thermosensor. Pulled and cleaned the throttle (which was a HUGE bitch) and replaced the TPS.

Then I found the problem: bad gas.

BAD. loving. GAS.

In a fit of self pity I drove to the gas station stumbling and bucking all the way. I popped the gas cover and saw the thing was filled with rain water. I only had 1/8th of a tank of gas when this all started so I guess the car was running on a lovely 20% water mixture.

Filled it up and so far so good.

gently caress THE RAIN.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

dema posted:

My wife is stealing my covered parking spot. Can I get a recommendation for a car cover? Mostly going to be in the shade, but will get some rain. Want something fairly light and compact so I can roll it up and toss it in my trunk.
I bought an expensive one cut for the model it's going on and it seems great so far. I want to say $200 or so. It will fit in the trunk, almost filling it up. Are you looking for a high end one like that? If so I'll check the brand and post it this weekend. They have a few different fabrics you can choose from , including one that is best for rain as I recall.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, $200 or so is fine. Thinking one that's "custom" for the car would be good.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm going to be looking at this on Sunday: http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/cto/2743444868.html

I've been wanting a Miata for a while, and have a little excess cash so I'm going to take a look at it. The man with the car says it runs fine and everything, has 150k miles. Edmunds says in average to clean condition and 150k the car is worth $363-$710 though... is that accurate? What sort of issues with the car should I be considering other than the usual engine/trans/brakes/etc?

Dolphin fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 9, 2011

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Dolphin posted:

Edmunds says in average to clean condition and 150k the car is worth $363-$710 though... is that accurate?

Edmunds is worthless.
There are no running Miatas for $363 anywhere. Maybe ones on fire, but even then unlikely. You might get him to come off a couple of hundred bucks, but not more than that. Spec miata guys will give you a nearly grand for clean shell and block.

As for other things to check; rust in the shock towers and floor pans. Date of change for the timming belt and pumps (it will need a new set soon) and whether the CAS rings have been changed. If not, expect to be replacing some rubber in the read of the block.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

dema posted:

Well you could just hide the body in a tarp, why buy a car cover for that? :v:

Tai-Pan posted:

Then I found the problem: bad gas.

BAD. loving. GAS.

How did you determine this, popping the fuel line off and getting something obviously not-fuel out of it?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You'll probably scratch the paint up more taking on and off a cover all the time.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

How did you determine this, popping the fuel line off and getting something obviously not-fuel out of it?

Well, I should have done that, because it was 1 am and I was in at a gas station. What I did was mop up all of the water in the fuel filler neck and then remove the cap and there was water dripping off of it. It wasn't on tight enough and water had been draining into it for days.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hurr, for some reason I envisioned you going to the gas station and popping the cap off of one of their tanks and seeing it full of water :downs: That would make sense. Throw some HEET in it if you're worried about any water still in the tank.

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

Dolphin posted:

I'm going to be looking at this on Sunday: http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/cto/2743444868.html

I've been wanting a Miata for a while, and have a little excess cash so I'm going to take a look at it. The man with the car says it runs fine and everything, has 150k miles. Edmunds says in average to clean condition and 150k the car is worth $363-$710 though... is that accurate? What sort of issues with the car should I be considering other than the usual engine/trans/brakes/etc?

Looks like it has bad rusty rockers, which is highly indicative of rust elsewhere. I lost my first 91 miata to rust like that, though I was still able to get more than 1500 selling it disclosing the rust issues.

Check under the carpet to see if the floorboard along the door frame up to the clutch pedal is rusted and/or missing on both sides.

It should still be fun to drive for a bit, but its not a good example. You might have to head fairly far south to find one though.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

I would but she cooks and cleans!

n8r posted:

You'll probably scratch the paint up more taking on and off a cover all the time.

Yeah, you're probably right. Does sound like a hassle. It's not like the car is in excellent condition right now.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
Which one of you keep parking their rat Miata next to mine?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Ordered some of these:

My poor car's ongoing identity crisis plunges deeper into :psyduck: territory.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Might as well delete the center console while you're at it...slippery slope.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Piano posted:

Ordered some of these:

My poor car's ongoing identity crisis plunges deeper into :psyduck: territory.
Got those in brushed/black leather with white stitching along with prototype blanking plates for the armrest holes :3:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just ordered the FM downpipe for the MSM. Can't wait to try it out! I was wavering between the complete intake kit, but I figured the DP would be a good first mod and will complement the intake kit well once we finally get that (+50 HP according to FM!).

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

dema posted:

Yeah, $200 or so is fine. Thinking one that's "custom" for the car would be good.

The material is called "Evolution". It really works to keep dust and snow and stuff off while letting it breathe so it dries out too. I don't remember where I ordered from but it may be here. You specify not only year make and model, but type of mirrors and stuff so that the fit was perfect in my case.

http://www.carcoverusa.com/Technalon-Evolution-Car-Cover.html

The bottom will hug the tailpipe, at least on the NA, so if you've been driving it you have to leave the corner uncovered until it cools or it will melt the cover.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
I'm probably going to get poo poo on for asking how to/wanting to do this, but how big of a job is it to swap out the steering rack? I have 2 identical NA's, one with a power steering rack and one with a manual steering rack. I want the power steering on my DD (I know I am a huge pussy), so to swap them I'll have to do the job twice. Any advice?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
What tires are people going for these days in a 185/60 R14? I was positive that Bridgestone made RE960A/Ss in that size but according to their webpage they don't now.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

-Inu- posted:

I'm probably going to get poo poo on for asking how to/wanting to do this, but how big of a job is it to swap out the steering rack? I have 2 identical NA's, one with a power steering rack and one with a manual steering rack. I want the power steering on my DD (I know I am a huge pussy), so to swap them I'll have to do the job twice. Any advice?

Swapping in the manual rack looks pretty easy, but what's your plan for retrofitting the components to add power to the other car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

Dr JonboyG posted:

What tires are people going for these days in a 185/60 R14? I was positive that Bridgestone made RE960A/Ss in that size but according to their webpage they don't now.

195/60/14 star specs. Not sure whats still on the market for good a/s in 14, maybe Pilot Exalto A/S?