Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Sometime between now and the heat death of the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

waffle iron posted:

Sometime between now and the heat death of the universe.

That's just a rumor.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

JayKay posted:

Apparently some Best Buys are throwing out 12/11 also. But I'm guessing that's more of the whole flyers cover from Sunday-Saturday thing.

That's gotta be the ad dates

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Are there any Windows 4G phones on the horizon for Big Red?

Dickeye posted:

That's gotta be the ad dates

Yup, that's what I'm guessing.

I'm still holding out hope for a possible soft launch.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 11, 2011

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

JayKay posted:

Are there any Windows 4G phones on the horizon for Big Red?

Supposedly they're pushing MS to get some LTE phones out and is the reason for them not adopting WP7. Nothing on paper yet.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
You know what, I think I'm done waiting.

http://nyconvergence.com/2011/12/att-to-launch-4g-lte-in-new-york.html

LTE launches on AT&T within the month in New York City. I have been waiting for the nexus to come out to make the switch for my wife and I. But considering that the Galaxy S2 has NFC and LTE I see no reason to wait for the nexus.

Yes I certainly would like to be on the bleeding edge of it, but I don't absolutely need Ice Cream Sandwich RIGHT NOW. I've been on a iphone 3G that has been crippled since before ios4 came out. I think I can wait 3 months for ICS.

I would have to hack the nexus to get google wallet to work on there anyway, just like I'll have to hack the galaxy s2.

Oh yeah, AT&T is also running the first cell towers in the subway, on my line.

This LTE announcement just sealed the deal. Unless someone can convince me otherwise I think I'm going to stick with AT&T.

EDIT: Infact I should have dont the free amazon phone deal. gently caress.

Bobx66 fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 11, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Heh, 3 months :3:

I don't think I could ever willing give unlimited data.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Nexus phones are less about ICS and more about not being bogged down with manufacturer shitware. Getting an unlocked HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus seems valid, but the SGS II pretty thoroughly a lesser device.

The impatience over the delay of this phone is pretty peculiar to me. It's going to be the best phone on the market for a full year. You guys can wait a few weeks.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Yea, if you've waited thus long why not stick it out? We are close to the Nexus release, I dunno, maybe I just want a Nexus more than others. The thought of pure Android is really to good to pass up, and Samsung hasn't really proven that they can handle updating American variants in a timely fashion.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

kalibar posted:

Getting an unlocked HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus seems valid, but the SGS II pretty thoroughly a lesser device.
Except for the camera.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
The resolution is much much worse. False alarm. Haha. I'm going to have to tune all of this cell phone chat out for the next 18 months after I get my Nexus.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ciabatta posted:

Yeah, more the constant dicking around. "Here's this cool new thing! Its going to be available to you guys sometime soon!! Early November... err, surely by Black Friday... ok, really, last week of November... guaranteed Dec. 9th, internal documents prove it!! ... or not." It was (almost?) all rumors, but it still sucks.

Gosh, where have I heard this story before?

Ah yes.

Nut Bunnies in April 2010 posted:

Yeah, more the constant dicking around. "Here's this cool new thing! Its going to be available to you guys sometime soon!! Early March... err, announced at CTIA... ok, really, last week of March... guaranteed early April, internal documents prove it!! ... or not." It was (almost?) all rumors, but it still sucks.

Then they killed the Verizon Nexus One and said "eh just buy an Incredible."

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 11, 2011

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Nut Bunnies posted:

Gosh, where have I heard this story before?

Ah yes.

Then they killed the Verizon Nexus One and said "eh just buy an Incredible."

I wasn't on Verizon and didn't follow that. Was there ever a Nexus One actually made for Verizon? Did they really scrap the launch after making inventory? So poorly run :(

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Pretty sure he's confused. Sprint was supposed to be getting a Nexus One, and they shitcanned it to boost Evo sales. There was speculation that Verizon would be getting an N1, but Verizon never confirmed it themselves.

Humorously enough, the Incredible is a much more direct "CDMA Nexus One" than the Evo would have been. Given how inexpensive they are and how well they run CyanogenMod, I'd characterize secondhand DroidIncs as an incredible value right now. Second only to secondhand Samsung Fascinates (i.e. the Verizon Nexus S).

It's comical how much better both of these devices are with CM7 than they were as their original selves, and how much better they are than literally any other phone in Verizon's lineup other than the Galaxy Nexus and the Incredible2. It's simultaneously shocking and depressing that Droid-branded Motorolas are as popular as they are.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Ciabatta posted:

I wasn't on Verizon and didn't follow that. Was there ever a Nexus One actually made for Verizon? Did they really scrap the launch after making inventory? So poorly run :(

A Nexus One for the AT&T bands came across the FCC approval desk a couple months before it launched. No such CDMA model did. I would imagine it was probably further off from production when it got canned, if one was even coming at all.

They certainly did not send out retail stock to stores by the thousands and then go decide to bury them in the desert wherever they dumped those ET cartridges for Atari 30 years ago.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Verizon nexus one wasn't just rumors. It had a coming soon spot on googles n1 order site.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Verizon nexus one wasn't just rumors. It had a coming soon spot on googles n1 order site.
Found it:

http://web.archive.org/web/20100326143444/https://www.google.com/phone/choose?hl=en&gl=US&s7e=

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Ironically, Ice Cream Sandwich will be delivered for the GSM Nexus One and the Verizon DroidInc in exactly the same fashion -- CyanogenMod only.

I love Nexus devices, but seriously, the DroidInc was and is a perfectly-adequate substitute. I could do without the Verizon logo on the front, but between running the poo poo out of current AOSP Android builds and working great with a 1900 mAh battery that fits under the stock battery cover, the device has some loving legs.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Friend of mine at Verizon is saying end of this week for the GNex, they've got stock on-hand but aren't cleared to sell it yet. Who knows, if someone loves you, maybe they'll let you take one and ring it out later (this will never happen).

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

serewit posted:

Friend of mine at Verizon is saying end of this week for the GNex, they've got stock on-hand but aren't cleared to sell it yet. Who knows, if someone loves you, maybe they'll let you take one and ring it out later (this will never happen).

So you're saying I should grab my ankles for the store in town?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dickeye posted:

So you're saying I should grab my ankles for the store in town?

Shouldn't you already be used to that position as a Verizon customer?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
As opposed to the other carriers who are certainly not overcharging? The cell phone business is a racket - it's not a secret. It's been a fact for a while now that if you want the best phones / best service you're pretty much stuck with AT&T or Verizon.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Shouldn't you already be used to that position as a Verizon customer?

Family plan that I don't pay for plus feature phones equals an anus as tight as the day I was born

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Sorry about your parents' anuses.

JP Money posted:

As opposed to the other carriers who are certainly not overcharging? The cell phone business is a racket - it's not a secret. It's been a fact for a while now that if you want the best phones / best service you're pretty much stuck with AT&T or Verizon.
"Best phones" is blatantly untrue and "best service" is a myth that's perpetrated by lovely TV commercials and billboards. Quality of wireless coverage is incredibly localized, and there are plenty of urban areas where Verizon's problematic -- they just have a really large nationwide footprint. On top of that, Ev-DO is very inferior to HSPA (plus or not) and until about six months ago Verizon was more expensive than Sprint for basically no reason other than a positive reputation that they've largely manufactured for themselves through branding and J.D. Power ratings of highly questionable validity.

Objectively, the correct reasons to choose Verizon right now are their LTE network (a very good reason), and/or the absence of acceptable service from a less-expensive carrier in your area. Signing up for Verizon to pay $90/month for 2GB of Ev-DO and an unbelievably-overpriced texting plan is flushing money down the toilet and it's a testament to the Herculean efforts of their marketing machine that they're able to convince people to do it.

Paying $70/month (hopefully minus a discount) for voice and 4GB/unlimited LTE while using GV for text is the first time Verizon's value proposition has been anything near appropriate.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
You're right, I've been enjoying my iPhone on t mobile for years now! And my windows phone on sprint has been great!

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

A Nexus One for the AT&T bands came across the FCC approval desk a couple months before it launched. No such CDMA model did. I would imagine it was probably further off from production when it got canned, if one was even coming at all.

Au contraire.

You're right though that it never hit retail channels, and likely never saw mass production either.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

kalibar posted:

I love Nexus devices, but seriously, the DroidInc was and is a perfectly-adequate substitute.

The battery life on the Incredible is probably the worst in the industry for high end phones as well as taking like 3-4 months to get root in addition to upgrades coming way slower than the N1. Also it didn't have that awesome multicolored trackball.

Oh and lmao that I was "confused." Guess I waited and gnashed my teeth for months for my imagination!

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 11, 2011

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Nut Bunnies posted:

blah blah battery life
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1134076

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Welp, now I'm an account manager, now I just sit and hope Verizon lets me have my phone of magic (that maybe works like it's supposed to?)

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

I have the huge 2400 or whatever mAh battery and it's still bad. It's the phone, not the battery.

And I shouldn't have to spend more money to get mildly acceptable life instead of the "use twitter for a few minutes and lose 3%" garbage I have now

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

I'm just going off of personal experience, I guess. Two of my friends have DroidIncs with that battery and they both have highly positive feedback about it. They get 2 days with no trouble. Then again, they're also on CM7 because really, why else would you buy that phone? The cost was also a non-issue for them because they knew going into it that the phone is $110, the battery that makes it not suck is $20, and the ROM that makes it not run like poo poo is about 45 minutes of labor.

I don't think I've ever seen an Android phone that was a good buy on release day. You could maybe make that argument for the Nexus phones, but they too were really a shell of their true potential for a long while. Galaxy Nexus looks like it's bucking the trend.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Nut Bunnies posted:

I have the huge 2400 or whatever mAh battery and it's still bad. It's the phone, not the battery.
It's certainly a bad battery, but have you noticed improved life after the Gingerbread update? My wife's Inc almost doubled its battery life after that update.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It's certainly a bad battery, but have you noticed improved life after the Gingerbread update? My wife's Inc almost doubled its battery life after that update.

I haven't installed the official one because of all the problems people have been having, but I have had Gingerbread since March or so

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I got the Droid Bionic on Friday, I love it and I'm happy to see how far Android has come since the days of the HTC Hero and Samsung Moment. It's a great phone, the display seems a little odd at times or it might be the stock ROM on here (the fade in effect with the icons make it look plain silly), and it's HUGE. I love how big the screen is, but my hands are tiny. I just found out about the Galaxy Nexus AFTER I had bought the phone, and might return this for that whenever it comes out.

My question is though, if the Bionic is a little too big for my hands, is the Nexus going to be any better? It's a slimmer phone and the rounded edges might be easier for people with smaller hands, but the size of these things might be what makes me switch over the the iPhone.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lblitzer posted:

I got the Droid Bionic on Friday, I love it and I'm happy to see how far Android has come since the days of the HTC Hero and Samsung Moment. It's a great phone, the display seems a little odd at times or it might be the stock ROM on here (the fade in effect with the icons make it look plain silly), and it's HUGE. I love how big the screen is, but my hands are tiny. I just found out about the Galaxy Nexus AFTER I had bought the phone, and might return this for that whenever it comes out.

My question is though, if the Bionic is a little too big for my hands, is the Nexus going to be any better? It's a slimmer phone and the rounded edges might be easier for people with smaller hands, but the size of these things might be what makes me switch over the the iPhone.

http://phone-size.com/?s=3%2C54

The Nexus will definitely be a little bigger. It looks like the screen + buttons on the Bionic are about the same size as the screen with software buttons on the Nexus. Most reviewers said the Nexus is only slightly larger than current 4.3" phones due to the capacitive buttons being replaced by screen. Whether it is just enough bigger to be annoying for you is tough to tell until you can get one in your hands. If the Bionic is borderline uncomfortable for you, the Nexus could cross that line.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ciabatta posted:

http://phone-size.com/?s=3%2C54

The Nexus will definitely be a little bigger. It looks like the screen + buttons on the Bionic are about the same size as the screen with software buttons on the Nexus. Most reviewers said the Nexus is only slightly larger than current 4.3" phones due to the capacitive buttons being replaced by screen. Whether it is just enough bigger to be annoying for you is tough to tell until you can get one in your hands. If the Bionic is borderline uncomfortable for you, the Nexus could cross that line.
That's what I'm thinking too and it's too bad because I really like how powerful this phone is and how big the screen size, but I had no idea this thing would be that uncomfortable to hold with one hand, and I wasn't going to spend an extra hour in the Verizon store playing with it.

Edit: Would Verizon take off my free 2gb for downgrading to a 3G phone like the iPhone? Wondering if I should maybe do the Unlimited hotspot trick.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 12, 2011

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
GNex feels a lot better to me than the Bionic, partially because it's curved and somewhat thinner.

Then again I really hate Moto phones. I dunno what it is, since I really liked the OG Droid. They should have made a keyboard less model.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

serewit posted:

GNex feels a lot better to me than the Bionic, partially because it's curved and somewhat thinner.

Then again I really hate Moto phones. I dunno what it is, since I really liked the OG Droid. They should have made a keyboard less model.

The Motorola Triumph for Virgin Mobile is essentially that.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Just got ship notification from one of my Vendors for the Nexus. Will be in tommorow. :dance:

Still no word from the official channels yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mighty Horse posted:

Just got ship notification from one of my Vendors for the Nexus. Will be in tommorow. :dance:

Still no word from the official channels yet.

Anything on the Droid 4, by chance?

• Locked thread