Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Help me make decisions, more experienced a/v peeps!

I have slowly been investing more into my home theater stuff over the years. A few years ago I got a cheap Onkyo 7.1 HTIB, but ran it in 5.1 mode due to having no space for 4 surround speakers. I've replaced the fronts and center with nice used Paradigm equipment, but am still running the cheap subwoofer and surrounds. I'm interested in upgrading my receiver. The main things I'd like to have the receiver do are:

- sound REALLY REALLY GOOD for stereo sources. I have a good turntable front end and a squeezebox for digital music, and right now I feel the Onkyo doesn't really have enough balls to power the front speakers. I prefer to listen to music without the subwoofer (in what Onkyo calls "Direct" mode - just 2 channels), so something that can power the fronts alone and sound really nice is a priority.

- losslessly pass-through 1080p content (seems like a given now)

- (less important) convert legacy stuff (s-video, component) to HDMI output. I still have some random stuff like a PS2 I play from time to time

- being able to do Spotify seems fun

The recently mentioned TX-NR709 seems to do all that, but I'm not sure if it's overkill. I live in a city apartment, so my living space isn't huge and I don't need ultra powerful audio. I also have other ways to play Spotify, and have the Squeezebox and such so it's not like I'm lacking for music options. What I'm primarily concerned with is flexible I/O and great quality sound. The Onkyo I have right now is surprisingly good for what it is, but can't pass through 1080p, doesn't process audio over HDMI, and doesn't power my front channels enough for great sound.

I've also been contemplating upgrading my subwoofer. There has to be some reason good subs cost hundreds and hundreds of dollars, right? I imagine the cheap one that came with the HTIB is probably really bad. Would that be a good bang for my buck along with a new amp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
I've got another question, how can I take my OTA antenna and plug it into a receiver? I don't think my TV supports return audio via hdmi 1.4 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VRJ3FG)

So right now I have the DB2 Antenna (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EHUE7I) plugged directly into the TV, but when I get a receiver I'd like the OTA channels to come out my receiver as well, how would I go about doing that?

pre-post-edit: found out the boxee I have will get a TV dongle, feel like this might be my only way to do this. http://blog.boxee.tv/2011/11/16/boxee-live-tv-is-coming-time-to-cut-the-cord/#idc-cover

edit2: n/m

ILikeVoltron fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 10, 2011

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

ShaneB posted:

- sound REALLY REALLY GOOD for stereo sources.

That's a really hard one for surround receivers. You could try out something from Marantz, maybe a SR6005, SR6006 or SR7005 depending on the features you want, but I think we are hitting the upper limit of your budget. SR6005 is pretty cheap since it's going away so that's probably your best bet.

If stereo sound quality is paramount, get a stereo receiver and new speakers for your home theater. I run my systems separate partially for this reason.

Take a day, get out and listen to what's available. Technical features are easy enough to research beforehand, but sound quality is also a subjective experience.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

ILikeVoltron posted:

I've got another question, how can I take my OTA antenna and plug it into a receiver? I don't think my TV supports return audio via hdmi 1.4 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VRJ3FG)

So does your TV not have a digital out, or is there some other reason you can't take the audio from the TV into the receiver?

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

So does your TV not have a digital out, or is there some other reason you can't take the audio from the TV into the receiver?

Just double checked, nope. It has no outputs what-so-ever. Guess that's why it was only $499.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hey guys,
I was wondering if I bought a home cinema DVD player system with 5.1 (Looking specifically at the Samsung HT-D350), would I be able to hook the PS3 up to my projector using HMDI (what I'm doing at the moment, with audio running from the Playstation 3 composite to a guitar amp and from that to headphones) and have the audio of the PS3 running from a Digital Optical into this home cinema system to get 5.1 surround sound from my games and Blu-Rays?

Will this work with any Home Cinema with Optical in?

Thanks!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

ILikeVoltron posted:

Just double checked, nope. It has no outputs what-so-ever. Guess that's why it was only $499.

Wow, that's really lovely. I feel sorry for you. It looks like you're right, going by Samsung's web site as well.

I guess another option (beside TV dongle for Boxee) would be to get a standalone tuner.

Edit: Can't find any info on what HDMI version it supports though.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 13, 2011

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Will this work with any Home Cinema with Optical in?

In theory yes, you should be able to output PCM 5.1 via optical. In practice I suspect it depends on the HTiB you get. I have no idea whether PS3 can output audio via optical and video via HDMI at the same time; seems like there used to be problems with that but I don't own the console.

In the most polite way possible, is it possible to get you to reconsider this and persuade you to rather get a real receiver? That's a lot easier to work with, especially if you have other devices you would like to have 5.1 audio with.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hob_Gadling posted:

In the most polite way possible, is it possible to get you to reconsider this and persuade you to rather get a real receiver? That's a lot easier to work with, especially if you have other devices you would like to have 5.1 audio with.

Ordered it today, it's really just for my PS3 and for showing movies for my little brother, it was only about €130 so it's not that big a deal. Thanks though.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
I am interested in purchasing my first HT audio setup. Found this nice combo, which seems to have great speakers on sale and a cheap Onkyo receiver. My issues are with the receiver, reported to have very slow response when switching between HDMI inputs - which I would be doing frequently, from PC to Xbox to Cable.

Anyone with the Onkyo TX-NR509 care to chime in? And if this isn't a good choice of a receiver I could sell it BNIB, but what is a good replacement? Thanks.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I'd say it takes maybe 2-3 seconds to switch inputs.

I've been pretty happy with it so far. Is there something you're looking for that it's missing?

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Alarbus posted:

I'd say it takes maybe 2-3 seconds to switch inputs.

I've been pretty happy with it so far. Is there something you're looking for that it's missing?

Nah, specs look solid, just read a review where someone said it takes upwards of 5-6 seconds every time you switch, 1-2 isn't nearly as bad. Thanks for the response.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

TenaciousTomato posted:

Nah, specs look solid, just read a review where someone said it takes upwards of 5-6 seconds every time you switch, 1-2 isn't nearly as bad. Thanks for the response.

I also updated to the newest firmware, compared to how it arrived. I couldn't get the Last.fm bit to work properly until I upgraded. Perhaps they improved the response time there?

It was pretty easy to upgrade, I opted to use a usb stick to be safe, compared to the web update.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Any recommendation for speakers that look good but don't sound like the average "design" speakers.

These Joey Roths look alright but I have no idea how they sound.

- Our place is pretty small and I *really* do not want to put huge floorstanding speakers in our living room

- Source will be 2.0

- Budget around 1-2k?

- We don't own/want a TV.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

Any recommendation for speakers that look good but don't sound like the average "design" speakers.

I can't recommend any pretty speakers since my sense of what is nice-looking is atrocious (fortunately that makes decorating my place cheap). In case you don't find anything else, I would suggest Genelec 8000-series active monitors. They're pretty small and unobtrusive while sounding good. Try, say, 8020B and see how they work for you.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

evil_bunnY posted:

Not sure what you mean when you say sound like design speakers, are you just asking for attractive speakers that sound really good?

Also are you looking for passive or active speakers?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hob_Gadling posted:

I would suggest Genelec 8000-series active monitors. They're pretty small and unobtrusive while sounding good. Try, say, 8020B and see how they work for you.
I'll see if anyone stocks these in Sweden.

emocrat posted:

Not sure what you mean when you say sound like design speakers, are you just asking for attractive speakers that sound really good?

Also are you looking for passive or active speakers?
Yes, most speakers I've found that I would be ok looking at are either $ludicrous or reportedly sound like poo poo.

I'm guessing either active or powerable by an amp small enough for me to hide somewhere since they'll be driven by either an iPod dock or some form of network streamer.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Hard to suggest stuff on style as it is so subjective, and also I have no clue what you can get in Sweden. On the flip side small unobtrusive 2 channel amps are easy, so you should be able to expand your search to include any passive speaker you think looks good.

Heres an example of a mini amp:
http://emotiva.com/a100.shtm
Its not that unusual a form factor, and you can probly find comparable ones for less cash too.

edit:
http://www.everything-but-the-box.com/
This is a European based (I think) speaker company with some out there designs. Not sure if it agrees with you, or gets too expensive, but I thought it was pretty cool.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

I'll see if anyone stocks these in Sweden.

Du skulle ha sagt at du va svensk.

Go to Hifi-klubben and listen to:

Scandyna (whatever pleases your eye)
Dali Ikon (2 is better, unfortunately)
B&W CM1 (in white, that's the best color)

I like Argons, but they aren't exactly eye-pleasing. I got two pairs for my mothers hifi, though, so I don't think I can give them a higher recommendation than that (got a pair in my home theater also).

For receiver a Marantz, NAD, MacIntosh or maybe Cambridge Audio if you get decent prices and matching pair of speakers.

Get Argon cable and banana plugs to go with them, and you're set.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hob_Gadling posted:

Du skulle ha sagt at du va svensk.
see I'm not actually a Swede!

Thanks for all the info, I'll drop by a brick and mortar shop.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I am on the quick lookout for a christmas present for the mom. She has a Vizio with HORRIBLE sound quality. Based on the first couple of posts, I should be getting a 3.1 system or a sound bar, or a pre boxed. I only have a budget of ideally 150 dollars or below. She doesn't need perfection, just something better than the default lovely Vizio audio quality. Is 150 not going to cut it? I can't find anything definite online.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Progression Please posted:

Is 150 not going to cut it?

Depends where you live and what model TV your mom has (ie. what audio outs it has). Amazon has sound bars for around $130, just make sure both the TV and sound bar have the required connectivity. The downsides of getting a sound bar are: you can't expand it later, it's 2.1 max and the sound quality can be questionable on cheap models. I don't think any of these apply to your mother except the last.

To give you something concrete:

If your TV has HDMI 1.4 with ARC:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-SC-HTB10-2-1-Channel-System-Through/dp/B003TIHPC6/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1324165485&sr=1-3

If you have optical or RCA only:

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-VSB200-Universal-Sound-Bar/dp/B002EPF6YO/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1324165485&sr=1-2

The "I want features" model:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HT-CT150-Sound-Bar-System/dp/B003C1AO2I/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1324165485&sr=1-1

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

evil_bunnY posted:

These Joey Roths look alright but I have no idea how they sound.

- Our place is pretty small and I *really* do not want to put huge floorstanding speakers in our living room

- Source will be 2.0

- Budget around 1-2k?

- We don't own/want a TV.

This may exceed your budget slightly, but Salk speakers are some of the best looking and best performing speakers I've seen for their price.

$1500 for the SongBirds, $2000 for the SongTowers.

Tytanium
Oct 27, 2006

YASSEAH!
I'm piecing together a Polk 5.1 home theater speaker system on a budget. So far I've got:

PSW10 Sub: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290034 (89.99 right now)
CS20 Center: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290107 (129.99)
Monitor30 Series II front L+R pair: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290200 (119.99)

I'm sitting at $340 right now and I'm debating on rear speakers. Is it worth it to get another pair of Monitor30's to hang or should I just get some smaller satellite speakers (RM7's or cheaper)? I'm in a fairly large room with high ceiling and I don't know what might have sufficient power to adequately fill my living room.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Tytanium posted:

I'm sitting at $340 right now and I'm debating on rear speakers.

Rear channels get maybe 10% of the action. Essentially you have two worthwhile strategies:

- get cheap rears
- get new fronts and put your current fronts to rear

If you're building from scratch and are set on Monitor30s as your fronts, get RM7s (or equivalent) as surrounds.

While looking up budget audio solutions, I ran into this:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-650

Anyone familiar with the speakers?

Tytanium
Oct 27, 2006

YASSEAH!

Hob_Gadling posted:

Rear channels get maybe 10% of the action. Essentially you have two worthwhile strategies:

- get cheap rears
- get new fronts and put your current fronts to rear

If you're building from scratch and are set on Monitor30s as your fronts, get RM7s (or equivalent) as surrounds.

While looking up budget audio solutions, I ran into this:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-650

Anyone familiar with the speakers?

They're having a newsletter subscriber sale right now, I just found out. They're $79 a pair right now (with a coupon code I'm not 100% sure is expired), which is cheaper than a pair of RM7's. I haven't seen a picture of the 30's to be able to tell just how big they are and if I can mount them on a wall easily.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
I got a pair of RM7s on sale for $60 at new egg. Just FYI. The RM7s are super tiny and wall mount really easily. I think they're under 2 lbs.

The Monitor 30s are about 16 lbs, about a foot tall, maybe 8 inches deep.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Tytanium posted:

They're $79 a pair right now (with a coupon code I'm not 100% sure is expired), which is cheaper than a pair of RM7's.

RM7's show as $49 for me right now, but even if they were more expensive the point I was making stands. You'll get a lot more joy by spending more on fronts and less on rears. This is especially important if (when) you consider stereo sources such as TV, music and so on.

Tytanium
Oct 27, 2006

YASSEAH!

Hob_Gadling posted:

RM7's show as $49 for me right now, but even if they were more expensive the point I was making stands. You'll get a lot more joy by spending more on fronts and less on rears. This is especially important if (when) you consider stereo sources such as TV, music and so on.

They're $49 each, IIRC. I can't really find them cheaper anywhere, except on some sketchy looking outlet pc website.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ntan1 posted:

$1500 for the SongBirds, $2000 for the SongTowers.
Sorry but they look downright gaudy to me 8(

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Tytanium posted:

They're $49 each, IIRC.

Ah, yes. Never mind my ramblings then.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If anyone is in the Vancouver area (Or Northern Washington) and looking for a good speaker setup, I am selling my Klipsch Synergy system (5.1) for $800.

http://www.klipsch.com/f-2-home-theater-system

Selling because I am buying reference stuff and don't have the room for these.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

evil_bunnY posted:

Sorry but they look downright gaudy to me 8(

Then get them finished in a different color. They have options for these on purpose.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm -><- this close to swapping my Klipsch Synergy speakers for some older 2001 era Klipsch RF3 reference speakers.

I'll be going from 6.5" drivers to 8" drivers, plus a larger center, plus the synergy to the reference line.

Opinions ? I've done some reading and some people say that the Newer Synergy stuff is using the old reference hardware from that era. I don't know if it is true or not. If it is true, I don't know if changing out the speakers will make any difference in sound.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
Any thoughts or experience with this Denon HTIB? http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...e06f095c585en02

I'm generally wary of the idea of a HTIB, but my understanding is that Denon receivers are generally well-regarded, and the speakers appear to be of at least moderate quality. It's going on sale for Boxing Day @ $299, which seems like a pretty good deal to me, but I'd rather save my money and put it towards something better in the future if this is a deceptively crappy setup.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Don't forget the $90 HDMI cable!

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

man thats gross posted:

Any thoughts or experience with this Denon HTIB?

Decent, if basic, set and the cheapest that I can personally recommend and not feel bad. It's a real receiver with basic satellites and 8" subwoofer. You can get a pair of bookshelf speakers and replace the front speakers from that setup if you want to use it for music.

If you can deal with factory refurbished equipment, accessories4less.com has DHT-591 with Boston Acoustic 5.1 speakers for just $30 more. That's a lot better value if only for the receiver.

From Batpig:

quote:

Why should I get the 591 over the 391?:

The AVR 391 is a very basic, stripped-down unit that is missing some important features. Unless you just need a basic HDMI switchbox and have no use for Audyssey features, it is worth the price to step up to the 591. The 591 is really the minimum model anyone should consider for a serious home theater setup.

Differences between the 391 and 591 include:

- No Audyssey on the 391! That means no auto setup, no room calibration, no Dynamic EQ or Dynamic Volume!
- No video conversion on the 391. If you want to connect non-HDMI sources, you can't do "one cable to the TV".
- No component video input
- Remote is non-programmable, cannot control any other components
- Lower build quality overall, including spring clips for the center/surround channels, and lower end DSP and DAC chips

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

Don't forget the $90 HDMI cable!

God I hate Best Buy sometimes...

Hob_Gadling posted:

Decent, if basic, set and the cheapest that I can personally recommend and not feel bad. It's a real receiver with basic satellites and 8" subwoofer. You can get a pair of bookshelf speakers and replace the front speakers from that setup if you want to use it for music.

If you can deal with factory refurbished equipment, accessories4less.com has DHT-591 with Boston Acoustic 5.1 speakers for just $30 more. That's a lot better value if only for the receiver.

From Batpig:

I can live with refurb, but not $140 in shipping. Canada loving sucks sometimes.

Still, that tells me there are much better deals out there. I'll keep looking.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
If you can wait a bit Visions.ca usually has free shipping and good speaker sales at the end of December and early January. I grabbed a whole bunch of Polk Audio stuff from them last year at absurd prices - CS2 center channel for $80, TSi 400's L/R for $200 and an Onkyo receiver for about $200. It's not Kef or Energy gear but it's decent entry level stuff that's a definite step up from HTIB crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Went browsing Canuck Audio Mart for the heck of it.

Do you have a snow machine?

Never upgrade again (there's nothing to upgrade to)

Not afraid to fix speakers?

I need to hear the flaws in the pianists technique (also my floor can take 160lbs speakers)

An actually reasonable package

gently caress me, I want one of these

Perhaps you should take a look at used stuff in your area? Especially speakers seem to be full of great choices.